• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits DS

http://ds.ign.com/articles/740/740892p1.html

Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits will be officially announced by the company next week, but we were given the thumbs-up to break the news on this product. The current roster of more than a dozen games is not final yet, but the definites in this pack include Circus Charlie, Contra, Gradius, Roc'N Rope, Rush'N Attack, Time Pilot, Track & Field, and Yie-Ar Kung Fu. At least four more games will make the list...hopefully more if development time allows for it. Konami stopped by the office earlier this week to give us a taste-test of what to expect in the final product due out in a few months.

In this very early build we got a chance to sample Contra and Time Pilot to see how well the Nintendo DS can handle the arcade emulation. And from what we experienced, the DS can handle it pretty darn well. Contra had the same look, sound, and feel of the original arcade game, and because the original arcade game was vertically oriented (a standard monitor tipped 90 degrees), players could opt to change visual options on the fly with a button press so they can play the game the same way...turning the DS in its book orientation. Time Pilot look like it played much more accurately to the arcade game than the overly easy Xbox Live 360 version for download.

Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits will not only feature the original arcade games, but also unique DS remixed modes. The games will also support multiplayer using the Nintendo DS system's wireless capabilities, but no word on Download Play multiplayer.
Since Konami's currently big on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, what with both Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Winning Eleven supporting the network, we asked about possible online play. So far, it's a no.

konami-classic-series-arcade-hits-20061020031253383.jpg

konami-classic-series-arcade-hits-20061020031254586.jpg

This will be mine just for Contra alone...for 20 bucks that is.

They had this for the GBA (which I have). If the GBA could handle thse games, I think it's safe to say the DS will do a good job, too.

Hope this one has Pooyan, though. The old PS1 collection did, but the GBA collection didn't

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
don't sleep on circus charlie. that game rocks. oh, and that contra thing too i guess.

Talyn

Am I the only bothered by the fact that they're including games that were already in the earlier GBA release? Do we really need another version of Rush'N Attack, Time Pilot and Yie-Ar Kung Fu?

Agent X

This looks very cool. I don't yet own a DS, but a collection like this would entice me a little more.

Talyn said:
Am I the only bothered by the fact that they're including games that were already in the earlier GBA release? Do we really need another version of Rush'N Attack, Time Pilot and Yie-Ar Kung Fu?

I understand where you're coming from, especially since Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced turned out so well on GBA. However, a lot of people missed out on that cartridge (which is somewhat hard to find now), so this would give them the opportunity to play those games on the DS.

Rlan

I want to see how this plays out simply because of the different resolution size. There really has been a classic collection on DS yet other than the crappy Atari Pong collection.

I don't see how Contra will work in Book orientation.. you can't press the buttons that way. Wouldn't it work better if half the screen is on the top, and the rest on the bottom, like Pac 'N Roll's original Pac man game? Even as just a choice, it would be nice.

Talyn

Agent X said:
I understand where you're coming from, especially since Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced turned out so well on GBA. However, a lot of people missed out on that cartridge (which is somewhat hard to find now), so this would give them the opportunity to play those games on the DS.
Yeah I can understand that although I had no trouble finding a new copy of the GBA cart on Walmart's website last week. They were doing a 2 for $30 deal so I bought that and F-Zero: Maximum Velocity. So I'm just a bit bummed to see that those games are being released again for the DS. Oh well. :)

MoxManiac

I know someone who views this forum that's going to flip for this.

I'm not terribly enthused myself though. only two games i care about are gradius and contra, and i got all the gradiuses sans V on mah PSP.

The NES versions of Contra & Super C are definitely better than the arcade Contra & Super Contra.

I'll still bite though, if the price and final lineup are right.

Hopefully some day Konami will release a Contra only collection for DS with the two main NES Contra games (screw Contra Force) and the GameBoy Operation C. If they wanted to go the extra mile, throw in a better conversion of Contra III too since the GBA version was so poorly put together and maybe even Contra: Hard Corps. I doubt it'll ever happen with Wii's VC on the way though.

JRPereira

ThirstyFly said:
The NES versions of Contra & Super C are definitely better than the arcade Contra & Super Contra.

I'll still bite though, if the price and final lineup are right.

Hopefully some day Konami will release a Contra only collection for DS with the two main NES Contra games (screw Contra Force) and the GameBoy Operation C. If they wanted to go the extra mile, throw in a better conversion of Contra III too since the GBA version was so poorly put together and maybe even Contra: Hard Corps. I doubt it'll ever happen with Wii's VC on the way though.

If they made a contra collection, including the arcade contra and super contra, the nes contra and super c, contra 3 (without being stripped down), and hard corps (without being stripped down), and included wifi, I would gladly pay $60-70 for it. However, these would have to be true good ports that matched their original versions plus included the wifi functionality.

One thing they should seriously consider is including the famicom version of contra, with the original story, animated tiles, maps, etc.

jgkspsx

The GBA one is still in print through Destination Software. It's reasonably easy to find for less than $15.

Still, this is a day-one purchase for me. (Please, please include Pooyan :( ) I hope this motivates some other companies to release arcade compilations on DS. I'd really like to see a real Atari compilation to heal the wound that was the grafitti bomb.

neo2046

http://gmstar.com/ds/konamiarccl.html
Konami Classic Collection

titles
Track And Field
Circus Charlie
Yie-Ar Kung Fu
Pooyan
Roc'N Rope
Contra
Road Fighter
Scramble
Tutanham
Shaolin's Road
Super BasketBall
Gradius
GreenBeret
Time Pilot
Twinbee

Feature
- horizontal / vertical screen mode
- gameplay record / replay
- over 100 tracks BGM, posters etc gallery
- Wireless game sharing mode (2P max)
- Wireless replay data exchange

Vargas

bumpkin said:
How 'bout TM-****ing-NT 1 and 2, The Simpsons and X-Men arcade games?

They can probably still do the TMNT games but I think that different companies own the rights to The Simpsons and X-men.

jarrod

Banned
Vargas said:
They can probably still do the TMNT games but I think that different companies own the rights to The Simpsons and X-men.
I thought Ubi snagged the license now?

Really a shame how Konami's TMNT revival turned out though...

TreIII

Oneself said:
Great! Still waiting for a Castlevania collection though..

I'd like nothing more than to see this happen some how, some way...

But all the while....I just don't see it happening.

I mean, at this point, why should Konami be "nice" and release all the games we could want in a collection (including MSX Vampire Killer and PC Engine Drac X), when there's a significantly higher chance of profit to be had by releasing them as Virtual Console downloads now? The VC is both a blessing and a curse in this regard, so that while there is a better chance, more than ever, of us getting to play these games again, a compilation of any sort probably has little chance of being made now. Frankly, I believe the only reason we're seeing this compilation in the first place is because Konami wants to stretch their creativity with the DS, and that's why we have these "DS extra modes" in this collection.

Still, I would hope that maybe Konami may see the light, and bring us a Goemon collection one day. At least give us a pack in of all the Famicom and Super Famicom games, dammit!!

jgkspsx

TreIII said:
I mean, at this point, why should Konami be "nice" and release all the games we could want in a collection (including MSX Vampire Killer and PC Engine Drac X), when there's a significantly higher chance of profit to be had by releasing them as Virtual Console downloads now?
Yeah. I'd have been terribly happy with a Castlevania I-III GBA collection, or even individual "Classic NES" releases. The PC collection (CVI-III and Contra/SuperC) is ideal, except it's on the PC.

Guess I'll get this.

Course PSP gets the "cool" compilations. :/

But the DS will get an ultimate Goemon collection and take home the trophy... :(

womp said:
Lack of Gyruss hurst but there is always Volume 2.

Eh Gyruss 2 for the NES was better anyways.

cartman414 said:
Gyruss for NES wasn't a sequel, was it?

It had boss fights, power-ups, and a handful of other differences. Game was a blitch as well. I died on the final boss fight. :(

Gyruss for NES wasn't a sequel, was it?

So Konami was just jerking our chain with the "more announcements coming Monday", weren't they? Wasn't expecting much, but come on.

neo2046 said:
Konami Classic Collection

titles
Track And Field
Circus Charlie
Yie-Ar Kung Fu
Pooyan
Roc'N Rope
Contra
Road Fighter
Scramble
Tutanham
Shaolin's Road
Super BasketBall
Gradius
GreenBeret
Time Pilot
Twinbee
Damn it, where the hell is Rush'n Attack? I know it's on the older GBA collection (which I own), but I still want it here too.

DaBargainHunta said:
Damn it, where the hell is Rush'n Attack? I know it's on the older GBA collection (which I own), but I still want it here too.

I believe Green Beret is another name for Rush'n Attack.

Green Beret
xGreen_Beret.png

Rush'n Attack
Rush_N_Attck_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I believe Green Beret is another name for Rush'n Attack.
I did a google search, and you're right. Woo hoo! :D

EDIT: Any differences beside the name? The two pics seem to have slightly different color palettes.

bumpkin said:
How 'bout TM-****ing-NT 1 and 2, The Simpsons and X-Men arcade games?

TMNT arcade 1 and 2 were released in TMNT 2 and 3 for the PS2/Xbox/GC, but with their intros and music removed and replaced with the music and stuff from the new TMNT series... Simpsons and X-Men though, or uncut TMNT+... well, they don't have the liscence. It's really too bad... those four games are some of the best beat 'em ups ever made. :(

DaBargainHunta said:
EDIT: Any differences beside the name? The two pics seem to have slightly different color palettes.

Well the top one is the arcade version while the bottom one is the NES version. Couldn't find an arcade pic for the bottom but it does exist.

womp

DaBargainHunta said:
I did a google search, and you're right. Woo hoo! :D

One is from the diluted NES version thats why...

I believe Green Beret was just the UK/Euro/JPN name for the game.

In my experiences playing both versions (C64, arcade etc) I didn't notice any differences outside the title screen.

The arcade version is better than the NES, the NES lacked the blowtorch due to the violent extreme burnage. ;) The rocket launcher was put in its place and is pansy in comparison. Also the animation, graphics and even music are all better however the NES version DID include a two player option if that really makes much of a difference.

The only game in this list better on the NES was Contra which ended up being much different from the arcade edition, I personally never cared for Contra in the arcade....Otherwise arcade originals FTW. Even as straight ports the graphics weren't as colorful on the NES and in cases such as Rush 'N Attack censored.

I'm a bit disappointed that it's the Arcade version of Contra, instead of the superior NES version.

But the inclusion of Gradius has more than made up for that.

Spppeeeaking of which, outside of the NES original, has that version of Contra ever been re-released for any console? I can't think of any time that it has.

FoneBone

jarrod said:
I thought Ubi snagged the license now?

Really a shame how Konami's TMNT revival turned out though...
Ubi's license is just for the new movie. Konami still has the cartoon license, as far as I know.

womp

SonicMegaDrive said:
I'm a bit disappointed that it's the Arcade version of Contra, instead of the superior NES version.

But the inclusion of Gradius has more than made up for that.

Spppeeeaking of which, outside of the NES original, has that version of Contra ever been re-released for any console? I can't think of any time that it has.

Nope.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Agent X said:

I know I'm replying to a message from several months ago, but Konami's Arcade Advanced is the only GBA game I know of that appeared to have at least three rereleases, each with different box art.

Top Bottom