• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Financials Q1-Q3 2015 + platform breakdown

Alo0oy

Banned
This was from the MGS release date thread, I thought it deserved its own thread:

Hey guys, just updating the link in my post:

http://www.konami.co.jp/en/ir/ir-data/meeting/2015/0205_510530.pdf

The report for Q3 is for Oct-Dec 2014 and 'pipeline' covers during everything after. PES2016 is a surety and not something that would be undisclosed especially in a financial report for investors since it would be a key revenue generator for the year. This clearly leads me to believe that we are only being shown titles that will release before end June 2015.

NOuDiC2.jpg

C9t5Acg.jpg

Sales by platform:

KXEzgYs.jpg

Begaria

There's something funny to me about seeing "Genre/Category" with: Soccer, Baseball, and METAL GEAR!

Is METAL GEAR a new sport of some kind?

gtj1092

Thanks for posting. I remember last generation most 3rd party publishers would do this now they don't seem to be as forthcoming in their sales breakdown.

Always get a kick out of Metal Gear being a catergory if only Castlevania was one :(

bigol

Considering these numbers only show one month of Pes 2015 sales compared to Pes 2014 3 months sales they are not bad, i expected much worse.

Takao

Banned
Why does it seem like there's a platform missing?

Konami has yet to publish a single Wii U games, therefore its software share is 0.

only 2% on PC, and more games sold in europe than in US. damn.

That was 2% in FY2014. PC is up to 10% in 2015. IMO none of the MS family are doing that great in terms of market share for Konami. They get pretty much all of Konami's major releases yet sell software like platforms that don't.

Also, Europe being higher than North America shouldn't be a shocker. Europe is where the majority of PES units go.

Durante

PC actually grew in share from 2% to 10%. that's a 500% growth.

Using standard forward projection, in 2 more years over 100% of their sales will be on PC.

Yes, I'm joking about the projection.

Nzyme32

10% units sold via PC in that Q1-3 2015 period. That is almost as much as the 360 and more than the Xbox one. 2% was the previous period. Don't know what games came out in that period on PC though.

Seems like MGSV GZ sold well on PC.

Considering that period only includes 13 days of MGSV GZ being available, I guess it is.

10% units sold via PC in that Q1-3 2015 period. That is almost as much as the 360 and more than the Xbox one. 2% was the previous period. Don't know what games came out in that period on PC though.

Considering that period only includes 13 days of MGSV GZ being available, I guess it is.

Except for Ground Zeroes... they had Metal Gear Rising and PES 2015.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yup, that's pretty good considering MGS5 was the first time a main-line MGS game showed up on PC since MGS2, I hope MGS5 gets a simultaneous release on PC, I'll probably buy a new PC when I see interesting mods for the game (that & GTAV).

Pezus

C9t5Acg.jpg

How is it possible that they expect slot machine revenue for the whole year to be less than it's already at after 3 Q's?

Nzyme32

Except for Ground Zeroes... they had Metal Gear Rising and PES 2015.

Yeah, there would be a trickling of sales from the rest of the konami catalogue that is available. Although judging from the same period the previous year which would have been the peak for pes 2014 and MGS Rising on PC along with the existing stuff that is also included in the recent period - it still only made 2% vs this period. Of course growth metric would have to be taken into account for the most recent period vs that last, but GZ was the only significantly different release I am aware of

Declining everywhere other than Metal Gear.

The other big take away, only 6% of sales come from Xbox One (compared to 20% for PS4). Time to take the fingers out of their ears and optimise the Fox Engine so it actually runs well on the platform? 720p for a sports game on this hardware is a shambles, never mind Metal Gear's resolution issues. Metal Gear and PES will continue to sell poorly on Xbox while they look like shit.

I know it's unlikely, but if Metal Gear doesn't sell well for whatever reason, is there a real prospect that Konami could bite the dust?

gtj1092

The other big take away, only 6% of sales come from Xbox One (compared to 20% for PS4). Time to take the fingers out of their ears and optimise the Fox Engine so it actually runs well on the platform? 720p for a sports game on this hardware is a shambles, never mind Metal Gear's resolution issues. Metal Gear and PES will continue to sell poorly on Xbox while they look like shit.

I know it's unlikely, but if Metal Gear doesn't sell well for whatever reason, is there a real prospect that Konami could bite the dust?

I think you got it wrong because if your idea was correct their 360 would of been outselling their Ps3 counter parts but Ps3 dominated sales for them last generation too.

Wonder if the low percentage of sales leads to the opposite. Konami may not think the effort is worth it because of the low sales. An increase in dedicated resources does not guarantee improved sales. We will see though

you'd hope they'd start mining their older games in the same fashion Sega has been doing the last 5 years or so. I would love for those DS castlevanias to show up on other platforms now that the DS is long been dead and that Castlevania is nearing its death rattle.

I think you got it wrong because if your idea was correct their 360 would of been outselling their Ps3 counter parts but Ps3 dominated sales for them last generation too.

Sure, but Konami today is far more western than it was at the start of last gen. They've cut back a lot. Main games, Metal Gear and Pro Evo. So the geographical divide doesn't really exist any more - before it could be rationalised that they sold more on PS because PS is far more prominent in Japan (where the games are targeted) - but now the focus has moved to US / Europe / South America - PS's advantage here isn't as big as it is in Japan.

Sorry for the poor English.

Wonder if the low percentage of sales leads to the opposite. Konami may not think the effort is worth it because of the low sales. An increase in dedicated resources does not guarantee improved sales. We will see though

Only if they can survive on the low sales. Otherwise they'll have shareholders asking why they're not taking a bigger piece of that pie.

lyrick

wow 8 point PC growth.

I find it strange that there isn't growth in PlayStation instead PS4 just cannibalized PS3s base.

Nzyme32

wow 8% PC growth.

I find it strange that there isn't growth in PlayStation instead PS4 just cannibalized PS3s base.

Completely depends on how you are looking at it without the relevant data. It could just be that there is a decline in ps3 game sales rather than cannibalisation. It could be that old Xbox 360 users moved to PC and PS4. The graphs basically give no information to reach any of those conclusions other than hypothetically.

gtj1092

Sure, but Konami today is far more western than it was at the start of last gen. They've cut back a lot. Main games, Metal Gear and Pro Evo. So the geographical divide doesn't really exist any more - before it could be rationalised that they sold more on PS because PS is far more prominent in Japan (where the games are targeted) - but now the focus has moved to US / Europe / South America - PS's advantage here isn't as big as it is in Japan.

Sorry for the poor English.

Only if they can survive on the low sales. Otherwise they'll have shareholders asking why they're not taking a bigger piece of that pie.

But their games sold more in the west on Ps3 too and they even had a lot of sales on the likes of the psp. PS owners just have more affinity to the main Konami franchises. No amount of P's is going to make Xbone version of these games outsell their Ps4 counter parts. If you look at Konami's sales break downs every year you will see their sales are very playstation centric to the point where even their psp sales would sometimes be higher than the DS.

lyrick

Completely depends on how you are looking at it without the relevant data. It could just be that there is a decline in ps3 game sales rather than cannibalisation. It could be that old Xbox 360 users moved to PC and PS4. The graphs basically give no information to reach any of those conclusions other than hypothetically.

Sales were down by .85 Million units across all platforms.

Sales on PlayStation consoles went from 56% (of 7.19M) on PS3 to 35% (of 6.34M) and 20%(of the same 6.34M)

approximate Konami video game sales on PS3 FY2014[Q1-3] => 4.03M

approximate Konami video game sales on PS3 FY2015[Q1-3] => 2.22
approximate Konami video game sales on PS4 FY2015[Q1-3] => 1.29

It really looks like there was a solid decline and a Cannibalization of previous gen sales from new gen adopters.

Nzyme32

Sales were down by .85 Million units across all platforms.

Sales on PlayStation consoles went from 56% (of 7.19M) on PS3 to 35% (of 6.34M) and 20%(of the same 6.34M)

approximate Konami video game sales on PS3 FY2014[Q1-3] => 4.03M

approximate Konami video game sales on PS3 FY2015[Q1-3] => 2.22
approximate Konami video game sales on PS4 FY2015[Q1-3] => 1.29

It really looks like there was a solid decline and a Cannibalization of previous gen sales from new gen adopters.

I am sure that is the case, my point simply is that it can only be hypothesised without data on the actual makeup of users per platform, who moved where, who are new, what users are on multiple / purchase multiple etc

Top Bottom