• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Financials Q1-Q3 2015 + platform breakdown

lyrick

I am sure that is the case, my point simply is that it can only be hypothesised without data on the actual makeup of users per platform, who moved where, who are new etc

There's really no need to insert soft sciences into it, the numbers that matter are already there.

Nzyme32

There's really no need to insert soft sciences into it, the numbers that matter are already there.

Not at all actually, your original comment concludes that it is cannabilisation only, which is not a certainty. You second comment is much more realistic in that it is a mixture of that and declining sales for the older generation.

Wow PC seems incredibly ripe for Konami if they'd port more games. They have what, Metal Gear Rising and Ground Zeroes and a gimped (?) version of PES and the Metal Gear series has been late ports?

If they can release everything at the same time I don't see how it would work out badly for them.

Takao

Banned
Wow PC seems incredibly ripe for Konami if they'd port more games. They have what, Metal Gear Rising and Ground Zeroes and a gimped (?) version of PES and the Metal Gear series has been late ports?

If they can release everything at the same time I don't see how it would work out badly for them.

but you listed pretty much everything konami releases in the west

Alo0oy

Banned
Sales were down by .85 Million units across all platforms.

Sales on PlayStation consoles went from 56% (of 7.19M) on PS3 to 35% (of 6.34M) and 20%(of the same 6.34M)

approximate Konami video game sales on PS3 FY2014[Q1-3] => 4.03M

approximate Konami video game sales on PS3 FY2015[Q1-3] => 2.22
approximate Konami video game sales on PS4 FY2015[Q1-3] => 1.29

It really looks like there was a solid decline and a Cannibalization of previous gen sales from new gen adopters.

That reflects more on Konami though, part of their audience on PS3 just upgraded to PS4, the only growth Konami had was on PC because of the release of GZ (most likely), they're just selling their products to the same audience over & over with no growth, they need a couple of new IPs to attract different demographics.

lyrick

That reflects more on Konami though, part of their audience on PS3 just upgraded to PS4, the only growth Konami had was on PC because of the release of GZ (most likely), they're just selling their products to the same audience over & over with no growth, they need a couple of new IPs to attract different demographics.

Looking at their sales declines (Japan and Europe), the console sales in Japan are.. well... unhealthy at best. Europe is basically Sony Land so that's probably where the Gen 8 eating into probable Gen 7 sales is probably most prominent.

Three

Declining everywhere other than Metal Gear.

The other big take away, only 6% of sales come from Xbox One (compared to 20% for PS4). Time to take the fingers out of their ears and optimise the Fox Engine so it actually runs well on the platform?

You really think that's the reason why?
Ubisoft:

2710173-byplatform.jpg

I don't think it's Konami who need to take their fingers out of their ears.

You listed pretty much everything Konami releases on consoles.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ubisoft:

2710173-byplatform.jpg

People still insist on PS3 being dead when it continues to sell more software than even Xbox One, & that includes western publishers like Ubisoft.

18-Volt

6% Vita? Am I missing something? Only game they have released for the system was MGS collection and that was in 2012. They didn't even release a PES game for the system.

Faustek

Ubisoft:

2710173-byplatform.jpg

Wait what? Is that from Ubisoft?

Anyway, akways nice to see these breakdowns.

6% Vita? Am I missing something? Only game they have released for the system was MGS collection and that was in 2012. They didn't even release a PES game for the system.

Yakyu spirits and something else baseball if ircc. Or perhaps Suikoden sales on Vita?

Takao

Banned

Between October - December Konami released the following on Vita:

NrPOSRf.jpg
2Opyayk.jpg

+library sales of older content (older baseball games, MGS HD, Silent Hill and NLKS)

However, all of their post-2012 releases have been Japan-only, and none are big sellers.

Given they release PES on Xbox One, the lack of a Vita version is a bit odd.

Cornbread78

but you listed pretty much everything konami releases in the west

well, they did launch Suikoden about 20 years ago, so there's that, lol.

I wonder what IP's they still have that would sell in todays market? A short view of Wiki....

-Suikoden
-Gradius
-Vandal Hearts
-Castlevania
-Contra
-Metal Gear
-Silent Hill
-PES
-Zone of the Enders

Good base, but damn.....

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Soccer, Baseball, Metal Gear and "other"? Quite the respectable line-up there... For such a huge publisher this is really weak. But at least they ar going to have a new Silent Hill, I just wonder if this counts as other or Metal Gear ;).

Beckx

Though I wasn't aware they're making Baseball games?!

They make the best baseball games. Japan only (Nippon Pro Baseball licensed). Pro Baseball Spirits series (the realistic sim) and Powerful Pro Baseball series (chibi-style characters with a bit more arcadey play).

SpotAnime

Europe for the win. I guess PES really puts it ahead in that region. Surprising to see it outsell both Japan and US.

Beckx

Wow, I didn't know that they actually made a Power Pros game for Vita.

It's good, too. People complain about how they changed Success mode but the Eikan (high school / Koshien) mode is addictive as hell. It plays great on the Vita though the load times before games are a bit long.

It's still strange to me how Xbox does not get a video game of one of America's biggest sports. Are MLB okay with it?

Mlb isn't really concerned. It is up to the developers and publishers to get the game out. 2K really dropped the ball. Maybe we will see one next year

Cornbread78

It's still strange to me how Xbox does not get a video game of one of America's biggest sports. Are MLB okay with it?

I actually wish they would again release games like Tecmo Baseball and Tecmo Basketball. Fun games that had full stat tracking with variable player skills and progression. Those games were awesome back in the day... I'd buy new games like that if they were released.

Heartfyre

Konami makes, Europe buys.

I'd imagine these Suikoden re-releases will make up a big chunk of the next "Other" section in their next financial report.

On Demand

Banned
Declining everywhere other than Metal Gear.

The other big take away, only 6% of sales come from Xbox One (compared to 20% for PS4). Time to take the fingers out of their ears and optimise the Fox Engine so it actually runs well on the platform? 720p for a sports game on this hardware is a shambles, never mind Metal Gear's resolution issues. Metal Gear and PES will continue to sell poorly on Xbox while they look like shit.

I know it's unlikely, but if Metal Gear doesn't sell well for whatever reason, is there a real prospect that Konami could bite the dust?

Konami games and Playstaion. Hmmmm.

Merkunt

It's good, too. People complain about how they changed Success mode but the Eikan (high school / Koshien) mode is addictive as hell. It plays great on the Vita though the load times before games are a bit long.

Off Topic but I'm really interested in Pro Yakyuu Spirits, which game would be the best to start with? And are these games doable with minimal Japanese knowledge? Sorry for bothering.

massoluk

Banned
Before we know it, they are going to combine "Baseball" into "Other"

I wonder what IP's they still have that would sell in todays market? A short view of Wiki....

-Suikoden
-Gradius
-Vandal Hearts
-Castlevania
-Contra
-Metal Gear
-Silent Hill
-PES
-Zone of the Enders

Good base, but damn.....

Missing entire HUDSON's library

Raitaro

-Suikoden
-Gradius
-Vandal Hearts
-Castlevania
-Contra
-Metal Gear
-Silent Hill
-PES
-Zone of the Enders

Good base, but damn.....

Yeah, such a shame they never seem to do anything with most of these once so beloved IP's (a list that is even missing stuff like Ganbare Goemon, Parodius, Rocket Knight etc - i.e. even more great old IP's that I have no clue about why they disappeared).

Not really using Contra within the (A)AA space has always baffled and frustrated me - I could see a high budget shooting game ala Vanquish set in the Contra universe do well still. Castlevania could also be used more I feel, especially now that the thematically and pacing wise similar Souls games are so popular, though it remains to be seen if LoS 2 hasn't killed that series for a while again. While less likely, a new Suikoden or Vandal Hearts could also do well since both genres and IP's still have their fans and have far less competition nowadays.

Kind of surprised to see that they haven't released a single Wii U game.

I've often wondered about this as well. The only real reason I can think of, is that it might have something to do with how their Wii games did. Do we know if games like Castlevania Judgement, Elebits, Dewy's Adventure did anywhere near what Konami expected? Possibly not. Still, why sour your relationship with Nintendo so thoroughly without any apparent reason, right?

Konami is not as great as it was in its snes, psx and even ps2 days

Just like capcom

I agree with the first statement (and very much miss their classic output!), but less with the second. At least Capcom is still doing something with more of their older IP's than just one or two and is still willing to create new IP's here and there. They do seem to ignore the Wii U as well for the most part, but not as radically as Konami are currently. I would hope that Nintendo will try to fix this with both of these two old partners of theirs.

It is quite amazing that Konami is still enduring as a game publisher / developer when they have only a handful of series that they are actively supporting. Sure, that handful of IP's are doing very well still, but it seems risky in the long run nonetheless if you ask me. Oh, how I miss the Konami of old!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The numbers are not even that good for PES (their best seller) or MGS, this company really need to bring back some of their other IPs and try new games as well.

Beckx

Off Topic but I'm really interested in Pro Yakyuu Spirits, which game would be the best to start with? And are these games doable with minimal Japanese knowledge? Sorry for bothering.

You can get PYS 2014 version for cheap right now since 2015 is just right around the corner. Unless you really want up to date rosters for NPB and/or to take advantage of online, I can't see any reason not to jump in with the cheap '14 game and see what you think.

There's a site with extensive translations for the game, so that should get you through the main modes (exhibition, pennant, management). If you really get into it and want to dive deeper then you'd benefit from learning the kana, but you can do that in a few hours.

nampad

So the platform breakdown shows the Vita is even with the Xbox One but the latter has PES and MGS: Ground Zeroes, lol.

Not expecting this to change the minds over at Konami but a PES Vita port is all I want.

SparkTR

If Verandas can be trusted the MGS HD Collection is heading to PC (I'm assuming this year).

Top Bottom