• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami introduced an expiration date for MB coins (Japan/Steam only)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
MGS5 is a single-player game to me. Literally never touch the online stuff.

But this is still (yet another) shitty thing to do. Good job Konami, they obviously know that they can do what they like now because it's not possible for them to be any more universally hated.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Wow. I will admit I havent even played the game yet....and all this just makes me feel meh about not playing it yet. I'll get t it when I get to it type of thing.

Konami is becoming a caricature of Konami.

Is that even possible.....

Wow. I will admit I havent even played the game yet....and all this just makes me feel meh about not playing it yet. I'll get t it when I get to it type of thing.

Is that even possible.....
It's quite a funny story. MB coins were revealed shortly before release, fanboys defended it saying "well, it's not like you need to buy them, amirite?". Game released, was good, didn't have much in the way of obnoxious microtransactions, or a real incentive to buy them beyond speeding up certain stuff. Then with each major patch, Konami started adding in shit like FOB insurance, locking away resources to your FOBs, and weapons grades that practically require you to purchase MB coins to actually be able to develop them. Slimy fucks who decided to sneak in their monetization components after release to avoid any major backlash.

Algebrah

If I went back in time to talk to myself after I beat MGS 3 and told them what happens with MGS4 an MSG5. I would definitely cry.

Älg

3L0CylI.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's not that big of a deal. Most MB purchases for MGO are 300 which you'll get within half a month or so if you daily login.

1000-1200 purchases for F.O.B. is a month or two of daily logins for free MB coins.

Really, the purchase expiration isn't as huge a deal as some people may think so long as you have things you want to buy with them.

dan2026

I don't understand Konami.
Ok you want to get out of the videogame business, fair enough.

But why piss off literally everyone on your way out?
Seems incredibly short sighted, not to mention a poor business decision if at some point in the future you want to get back in.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Now that MGS is dead, the only think left to do is to suck dry those remaining players for one last cash grab. And if there's one thing modern Konami excels at, it's sucking.

This is a doubly shitty move because certain cosmetic items in MGO are locked behind MB Coins rather than the MGO currency, meaning you cannot get them without these.

So when all these coins are expired and they stop selling/giving them out, I guess those items are unavailable.

jackdoe

This is a doubly shitty move because certain cosmetic items in MGO are locked behind MB Coins rather than the MGO currency, meaning you cannot get them without these.

So when all these coins are expired and they stop selling/giving them out, I guess those items are unavailable.
I feel like that's a moot point since Konami will most likely shut down MGO servers by then, so you wouldn't be able to play online anyway.

Oriel

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Konami extended this policy worldwide after using Japan to gauge reactions to such a move.

Thank fuck Kojima is away from this trainwreck of a company.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well :
They are showing their users the beauty and true value of MB coins by making their existence a necessarily finite one. Only when we know that a thing must end, and end soon, do we begin to appreciate the time we have spent with it. This a fundamental part of the human condition, we all have to cherish the time we have left that is running through our hands as inevitable as an hourglass.
Konami knows that only users with Japanese sensibilities can understand this without accusing them of evil and mischief, for the Japanese mind is a far more trusting one, where authority, even as little as Konami stil has, is more easily accepted.
this guy

this motherfucker right here

beautiful

3/10, they're not even trying anymore. This isn't even street-mugging evil, where's our nerve-gas-made-from-babies'-optical-nerves tier Konami? :/

I wonder if this means they're shutting it down in six months. This wasn't mentioned in the EULA or something somewhere before now, was it?

Konami just can't stop digging.

It's not that big of a deal. Most MB purchases for MGO are 300 which you'll get within half a month or so if you daily login.

1000-1200 purchases for F.O.B. is a month or two of daily logins for free MB coins.

Really, the purchase expiration isn't as huge a deal as some people may think so long as you have things you want to buy with them.

Defense force for everything lol. Putting an expiration date on currency that you've paid for is shit, and I have no further words for anyone who actually defends that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Defense force for everything lol. Putting an expiration date on currency that you've paid for is shit, and I have no further words for anyone who actually defends that.

Not really a defense. I'm saying the free coins they give you is gonna be used by F.O.B. and MGO way before they expire anyway. The shitty part is the paid-for ones, I agree. But really: Why are you paying for MB coins? You get 30MB coins every Sunday and like 15 on Wednesday and Friday. That's way more than enough over time to get your stuff done.

Not really a defense. I'm saying the free coins they give you is gonna be used by F.O.B. and MGO way before they expire anyway. The shitty part is the paid-for ones, I agree. But really: Why are you paying for MB coins? You get 30MB coins every Sunday and like 15 on Wednesday and Friday. That's way more than enough over time to get your stuff done.

I don't pay for MB coins. But it's still a garbage thing to do, and I'm happy to state that.

Top Bottom