• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How

GDHamell said:
Doesn't really surprise me. After Murayama left sort of went down hill. Suikoden V fixed the mistakes of IV, but then it repeated them with Tierkreis. Tierkreis wasn't too terrible, though.

I like 5 alright. Not as good as 1 and 2, but about the same as 3. 3 is great until someone becomes the Flame Champion, then it kind of falls apart for me. 4 was terrible and it's the only main Suikoden game I could not bring myself to finish. I didn't care much for Tierkreis, I didn't really hate it, but I got bored with it and put it aside.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
Good question. I assumed LTD up to now/recently, but we could ask Akselziys or someone else with US numbers whether there is a cutoff point or not. I see lots of unsold copies of Tierkreis everywhere around where I live in Canada, hence my belief (coupled with those sales numbers + the DS install base at that time) that it just didn't sell well. But I'd like to know how much Konami shipped/expected to sell to see if this was successful or not, post-game release fan backlash excluded.

Though Tierkreis selling well would seem to invite a sequel to Tierkreis as well as theoretically one for the mainline games, wouldn't it?

The Tierkreis numbers are as of June 2011 :)

Also, I just buckled down and bought this XD;

Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia covering every Suikoden game :3 1080 pages @.@

http://bit.ly/kDANSK

I have problems XD; Suikoden problems <3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
I think Oboro Detective Agency was the first track in Suikoden 5 to really catch my attention. I would go visit them as often as I could just to hear it.
Electric pianos basically turn me into a melted puddle.
Oh yes, that was one of my favourites on the soundtrack too. Some of the instrumentation choices on the S5 soundtrack made me smile. The Genso New World music collection had some nice stuff too.

Akselziys said:
The Tierkreis numbers are as of June 2011 :)
Thank you very much. :)

And "ouch" once again at those US sales numbers with that further knowledge.

So... references here + Genso Suikoden JP #s here:

*can't find Suikoden I numbers*
Suikoden II (JPN Only): 374,319
Suikoden Card Stories (JPN Only): 7,676
Suikoden III (JPN + US): 617,567
Suikoden IV (JPN + US): 443,654
Suikoden Tactics (JPN + US): 144,801
Suikoden V (JPN + US): 296,437
Suikoden Tierkreis (JPN + US): 212,275
Suikoden I+II (JPN Only): 28,271

*does not include budget version sales or EU sales

So yes, electroplankton does have a point given that the Tierkreis numbers (bloated somewhat from the JP sales and budget version sales in Japan) are pretty close to the Suikoden V numbers. So sales doesn't seem to be reason, unless it's because of its poor showing in the US. But if it is because of its poor showing in the US, then I don't see why they can't go the Tales route and keep most mainline entries in Japan. Clearly there is a fanbase in Japan at the very least. What was kind of surprising was that the Suikoden Tactics numbers in Japan were less than the numbers in the US.

Looking at the mk2 reviews for Tierkreis here, though... They don't exactly seem very favourable overall.

So... I'm not sure what Konami's deal is, unless their other series are far more profitable in this current climate than a new Suikoden game. Don't see why they can't just release one on a portable, then.

Also, I just buckled down and bought this XD;

Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia covering every Suikoden game :3 1080 pages @.@
No way, you don't have problems. :lol I've always wanted that. Does KonamiStyle ship overseas?

My boyfriend's getting four Genso Suikoden books for our anniversary next month because apparently I've been "pretty glum about the whole thing". He told me a month early in case I was thinking of buying them, but it's really sweet of him to do so. He only revealed one of them to me, but refuses to tell me what else he bought.

I know he's getting me the Genso Suikoden 1-2 World Guide for sure.

lxGE5.jpg

I'd love to get my hands on that encyclopedia, though. Someday.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
No way, you don't have problems. :lol I've always wanted that. Does KonamiStyle ship overseas?

My boyfriend's getting four Genso Suikoden books for our anniversary next month because apparently I've been "pretty glum about the whole thing". He told me a month early in case I was thinking of buying them, but it's really sweet of him to do so. He only revealed one of them to me, but refuses to tell me what else he bought.

I know he's getting me the Genso Suikoden 1-2 World Guide for sure.

lxGE5.jpg

I'd love to get my hands on that encyclopedia, though. Someday.

Haha, naw XD; I had to use a middle man company to order it for me :)

If it has anything I haven't seen before, I'll be sure to scan it though XD

i.e. This sweet art :3

suikodenseriesencyclope.jpg

Fumi Ishikawa rendition of all 5 heroes <3 <3 *dead of awesomeness*

And more Fumi Ishikawa Luc <3

And here's a bonus Suikoden 5 illustration from one of my art books, that should have also been made into a poster :3
Would have been an awesome 4th addition to my Suikoden 5 poster set :3

*Major Suikoden 5 spoilers*

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4552/collectionofgensosuikod.jpg

And your bf sounds amazing to support your love of Suikoden like that :) He sounds like a keeper ;)

zlatko

Banned
There is no God. Fuck the world. Stop the planet... I want off.

:( :( :( :(

How can they give up on Suikoden and disband that team? Not a single fuck will be given by me if another team makes Suikoden later... it won't matter. A team as intelligent as the one that created Suikoden 2 needs to be given Kojima levels of money and let them make the RPG of the forever.

If I was a millionaire I'd pump the cash into getting the S2 team together and pouring money into them to make me a Suikoden 6.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
zlatko said:
There is no God. Fuck the world. Stop the planet... I want off.

:( :( :( :(

How can they give up on Suikoden and disband that team? Not a single fuck will be given by me if another team makes Suikoden later... it won't matter. A team as intelligent as the one that created Suikoden 2 needs to be given Kojima levels of money and let them make the RPG of the forever.

If I was a millionaire I'd pump the cash into getting the S2 team together and pouring money into them to make me a Suikoden 6.

Haha, I feel the exact same way for Suikoden and handful of other series XD;

zlatko

Banned
Akselziys said:
Haha, I feel the exact same way for Suikoden and handful of other series XD;

Legend of Dragoon
Chrono team
Lunar team
Wild Arms team

Those are just a few others I'd toss money at to make a new god like RPG in that series. :(

Piecake

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I like 5 alright. Not as good as 1 and 2, but about the same as 3. 3 is great until someone becomes the Flame Champion, then it kind of falls apart for me. 4 was terrible and it's the only main Suikoden game I could not bring myself to finish. I didn't care much for Tierkreis, I didn't really hate it, but I got bored with it and put it aside.

I honestly can't stand DS 3D graphics. I think they absolutely look terrible and those games would be much better served just staying in 2D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
zlatko said:
Legend of Dragoon
Chrono team
Lunar team
Wild Arms team

Those are just a few others I'd toss money at to make a new god like RPG in that series. :(

OT for a sec, but mine would be:

Ar Tonelico
Arc Rise Fantasia
Baten Kaitos
Breath of Fire
Chrono
Grandia
Growlanser
Lunar
Megaman/Megaman X
Marl
Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei
Star Ocean
Suikoden
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Xenosaga

But hopefully Konami can get its act together and continue with mainline Suikoden :3

Gonaria said:
I honestly can't stand DS 3D graphics. I think they absolutely look terrible and those games would be much better served just staying in 2D

Yeah, whenever DS goes 3D, it goes 3D chibi, which is just meh and unappealing.

Might as well leave it in sprite form than go that route.

I do think it happened something within Konami concerning the reassessment of the company and the devotion of resources in other genres and projects. I mean, Suikoden Tierkreis could do fairly well (surely Konami didn't lose anything in developing with such a small scale), but the company was not into jRPG for too long, and so they've decided to outsource some games hoping in some kind of success (I'm doutbful Frontier Gate will sell anyway)

Gunloc said:
It's not a case of Konami reaching their limit, it of them not knowing what to do with the series.

There is still plenty of life left in the series, more so than many RPGs. They just need to actually deliver what the fans want and what the series deserves.

SUIKODEN FUCKING SIX, five years in the aftermath of SIII, and onwards to Harmonia...that's what they should've been doing. I'm very sure now, however, that may not be in everyones best interest.

Now Falcom is showing them up in that department, and it was Konami's game to lose.

I'm probably not helping by saying, especially considering it would never happen even if another Suikoden game were to see the light of day, but what if Kojima Productions made Suikoden VI? Kojima has been trying to distance himself from Metal Gear for a very long time, and since Peace Walker has shipped, we haven't heard a single thing regarding what's he and his main team are working on. A JRPG would be quite the change of scenery for him, but would still be in his line interest, considering how filled with political high-drama the Suikoden games are.

You don't need to tell me. It's not going to happen, but goddamnit would it be interesting to see his vision of a Suikoden game.

leroidys

At this point I would rather have Suikoden II on PSN than a Suikoden VI, but both would be fantastic.

We will get neither :(

I'm going to start V soon, does anyone know if there is a feature to import a save from IV (or tactics) and what it gets you?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:
Haha, naw XD; I had to use a middle man company to order it for me :)
Augh, that's too bad. Someday, then. It'll be in the back of my mind. It's too bad they're just releasing it on KonamiStyle rather than in the main market.

If it has anything I haven't seen before, I'll be sure to scan it though XD

i.e. This sweet art :3

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5683/suikodenseriesencyclope.jpg[IMG]

Fumi Ishikawa rendition of all 5 heroes <3 <3 *dead of awesomeness*

And more Fumi Ishikawa Luc <3[/quote]
You'd better. :P

That Ishikawa artwork of the 5 Tenkai Stars is one of the reasons why the book stuck out to me (outside of being a gigantic encyclopedia rivalling my huge neurosci text).

A lot of the art in those samples look so [I]polished[/I]. I love them a lot. Ishikawa's art just seems so unique and striking. It's really beautiful.

[quote]And here's a bonus Suikoden 5 illustration from one of my art books, that should have also been made into a poster :3 [spoiler]Would have been an awesome 4th addition to my Suikoden 5 poster set :3[/spoiler]

*Major Suikoden 5 spoilers*

[url]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4552/collectionofgensosuikod.jpg[url]

And your bf sounds amazing to support your love of Suikoden like that :) He sounds like a keeper ;)[/QUOTE]
That art is [I]fantastic[/I]. If I were in your position, I'd take the art and get it blown up to poster-size somewhere. It looks too good to just be hidden away in an artbook.

Oh, and thank you. We've been together for [I]years[/I]. He has a tendency to spoil me, though. :D

[quote]Did everyone do their part and buy the Suikoden figures :3?[/quote]
Those came out when I didn't have access to a credit card yet, unfortunately. :(

If they ever release any figures again, I'll try to get my hands on some of them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Double-posting, but meh.

AuthenticM said:
You don't need to tell me. It's not going to happen, but goddamnit would it be interesting to see his vision of a Suikoden game.
...Nanomachines.

And it's probably not going to happen.
I'm not sure if I really want a Suikoden game from KojiPro. Can't explain why in a well-articulated manner, though. Peace Walker was wonderful, though. I'd be curious to see his vision of Suikoden, but I'm not sure if it's something I'd want.

leroidys said:
I'm going to start V soon, does anyone know if there is a feature to import a save from IV (or tactics) and what it gets you?
You cannot import saves from IV or Tactics as S4 and S5 take place too far apart on the timeline from each other.

But after completing Suikoden V, you can start a new game+ which gives you your remaining party SP, potch, inventory and warehouse inventory. But stuff that was equipped at the end of the game (ie: final battle), equipped runes and individual SP are gone.

electroplankton said:
I do think it happened something within Konami concerning the reassessment of the company and the devotion of resources in other genres and projects. I mean, Suikoden Tierkreis could do fairly well (surely Konami didn't lose anything in developing with such a small scale), but the company was not into jRPG for too long, and so they've decided to outsource some games hoping in some kind of success (I'm doutbful Frontier Gate will sell anyway)
I'm not sure if Frontier Gate would sell well either. Beyond the Labyrinth looks nice, though.

Konami hasn't really made much of a large impact this console generation. KojiPro, maybe. But the rest of Konami has kind of fallen off my radar, aside from Otomedius and Hard Corps. Maybe Dance Masters.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
Konami hasn't really made much of a large impact this console generation. KojiPro, maybe. But the rest of Konami has kind of fallen off my radar, aside from Otomedius and Hard Corps. Maybe Dance Masters.

Well, Hard Corps: Uprising was developed by Arc System Works, Konami just approached them to make it for them XD

Dark Schala said:
Augh, that's too bad. Someday, then. It'll be in the back of my mind. It's too bad they're just releasing it on KonamiStyle rather than in the main market.

You'd better. :p

That Ishikawa artwork of the 5 Tenkai Stars is one of the reasons why the book stuck out to me (outside of being a gigantic encyclopedia rivalling my huge neurosci text).

A lot of the art in those samples look so polished. I love them a lot. Ishikawa's art just seems so unique and striking. It's really beautiful.

That art is fantastic. If I were in your position, I'd take the art and get it blown up to poster-size somewhere. It looks too good to just be hidden away in an artbook.

Yup, Fumi Ishikawa can do no wrong in my eyes XD

Even her art in Over Zenith was fantastic <3

And unfortunately that piece of art is the highest res I have >.<, so blowing up poster size would be out of the question XD

The other 3 posters I have are actual posters I imported from Japan and then got framed :D

Also, changed my avatar to Fumi Ishikawa illustrated Sasarai in his Harmonia Bishop outfit/headdress, looking like a pimp <3

Grisby

:/

I didn't play any games in the series past 3 but damn if those weren't some of the finest JRPGS ever made. I still have all three disc's. I think Suikoden was the second game I ever bought for my Playstation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:
Well, Hard Corps: Uprising was developed by Arc System Works, Konami just approached them to make it for them XD
That just makes Konami even more of a non-entity to me, lol.

Yup, Fumi Ishikawa can do no wrong in my eyes XD

Even her art in Over Zenith was fantastic <3

And unfortunately that piece of art is the highest res I have >.<, so blowing up poster size would be out of the question XD

The other 3 posters I have are actual posters I imported from Japan and then got framed :D

Also, changed my avatar to Fumi Ishikawa illustrated Sasarai in his Harmonia Bishop outfit/headdress, looking like a pimp <3
We never got to directly find out how Sasarai would deal with the nature of his creation yet either.

Ishikawa's art for OZ/Sword of Etheria was great. Too bad the game never came to NA.

CnrQC.jpg
Ab08D.jpg

This one she did for Portrait of Ruin is gorgeous as well.

I <3 her work.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe someone should do an "interview" with Konami and bug them to release Suikoden II for PSN.

Akselziys said:
Did everyone do their part and buy the Suikoden figures :3?
Yep, got them all. Still in their packaging too. (I actually want to display them, but don't have a suitable place yet.)

Side note, I'm still feeling full of hope and support for Suikoden. The 108 will gather again.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
That just makes Konami even more of a non-entity to me, lol.

We never got to directly find out how Sasarai would deal with the nature of his creation yet either.

Ishikawa's art for OZ/Sword of Etheria was great. Too bad the game never came to NA.

CnrQC.jpg
Ab08D.jpg

This one she did for Portrait of Ruin is gorgeous as well.

I <3 her work.

Yeah, I'm not sure when Konami's paradigm shift happened >.<

Wants more Suikoden >.<

And we need to see Sasarai confront Hikusaak about that :3

Luckily OZ came to Europe, but yeah, not to America >.< But at least it appeared in English :)

Makes me wonder what Ishikawa, Kawano, and King are all up to anyway XD

Aeana said:
I wish Touching Theme/Distant Star in Suikoden 2 had made it into games past 2. I'm fairly certain that's my favorite piece of music in the entire series. And it was at the point that played in Suikoden 1 that I fell in love with the game.
Visiting the Magician's Isle in the first Suikoden was magical. (No pun intended.)

The whole exchange with Leknaat was just drenched in atmosphere, and the creepy foreshadowing was excellently done.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
I wish Touching Theme/Distant Star in Suikoden 2 had made it into games past 2. I'm fairly certain that's my favorite piece of music in the entire series. And it was at the point that played in Suikoden 1 that I fell in love with the game.
It did, just lacking the introduction added in 2.

Akselziys said:
Makes me wonder what Ishikawa, Kawano, and King are all up to anyway XD
I really hope Ishikawa's doing more art for Konami for other IP at least. It wouldn't surprise me if this is not the case, though. :(

Aeana

Oh dur, I totally forgot about that in 5.
I've only played 5 once, primarily because I hate the RTS war battles, but I really should revisit it someday.

Top Bottom