• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How

Xelinis

Suikosource said:
While conducting an interview on 4gamer for their new upcoming RPG Frontier Gate a couple Konami employees stated that they were designing Frontier Gate from scratch as they had previously disbanded their Suikoden team and had therefore lost all their RPG-creation know-how.

Needless to say this is grim news for the Suikoden community. But, it does not mean a new team cannot take over the Suikoden name later. Konami has done this before with other franchises, such as Silent Hill. There is also still the possibility of re-releases of existing content and side projects, such as the Pachislot machine.

fcsksp.gif

//Mod Edit:

The person who directed Suikoden Tierkreis is working on Frontier Gate, so that means it's quite unlikely that Konami is working on any kind of Suikoden project for the foreseeable future.

Frontier Gate is also a concept that came from Konami itself, and seems to be their only internally driven ambition in the RPG market right now, as Labyrinth was an idea that spawned from Tri-Ace. It was a bit like a trade, where Konami would publish Labyrinth (Tri-Ace's idea) and Tri-Ace would develop Frontier Gate (Konami's idea).

:/

Though I don't think that's all doom and gloom. I wasn't expecting the Suikoden team to just sit around and do nothing in the meantime, obviously they were working on other projects.

Soul Calibur V is being made by a newly formed team after Team Soul was disbanded after SCIV. (I know, Namco, but I'm just giving a recent example.) Shifting employees is nothing new.

It's not like they all quit. Maybe the hopeful success of Frontier Gate will inspire Konami to revisit their other RPG series.

Aeana

Yeah, I heard about this several weeks ago. Konami hired tri-Ace to help them make Frontier Gate because they just didn't have the manpower to do it themselves. That says all that needs to be said about the state of Konami's internal development teams and the future of low-selling franchises like Suikoden.

Nix

Banned
Well, I guess that's it. Hey, Suikoden fans, might as well mosey on over to the DQ and Fire emblem camps. Me? I'm going right over to the Disgaea camp to stay. Have fun guys!

Maybe in a few years they'll ressurect Suikoden. Or make a new IP that's even better (politically stressing of course). I'd like either one.

Aeana said:
Yeah, I heard about this several weeks ago. Konami hired tri-Ace to help them make Frontier Gate because they just didn't have the manpower to do it themselves. That says all that needs to be said about the state of Konami's internal development teams and the future of low-selling franchises like Suikoden.
And it's not to say Konami couldn't get a company outside of Konami to handle development of a new Suikoden game if they were so inclined.

Obviously I would want the team that handled SV back on the series, but even just few key people could be all that's needed. And after Tierkreis, I'm not sure I would want an internally developed Suikoden game if that was the direction they wanted to go.

Xelinis

It does appear that many of the core members are still floating around the company though. I've recently discovered that Takahiro Sakiyama (director of Suikoden V, and seemingly nothing since then) has very recently been approved for a patent filed under Konami's ownership. The diagrams in the patent depict a DS as a medium for implementing the method described.

Sakiyama's Patent said:
To provide an information processing device capable of facilitating input by a user of a symbol, such as, e.g., a character, a mark (a symbol in a narrow sense), a pictogram (a pictorial symbol), and so forth. An area setting unit (72) sets a plurality of areas corresponding to symbols or symbol groups in a screen image.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=zs...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ

Xelinis

Gunloc said:
And it's not to say Konami couldn't get a company outside of Konami to handle development of a new Suikoden game if they were so inclined.

Obviously I would want the team that handled SV back on the series, but even just few key people could be all that's needed. And after Tierkreis, I'm not sure I would want an internally developed Suikoden game if that was the direction they wanted to go.

Actually, wasn't Suikoden V technically developed by Hudson with Konami designers overseeing the project?

Xelinis said:
It does appear that many of the core members are still floating around the company though. I've recently discovered that Takahiro Sakiyama (director of Suikoden V, and seemingly nothing since then) has very recently been approved for a patent filed under Konami's ownership. The diagrams in the patent depict a DS as a medium for implementing the method described.
That's what I'm saying, it's not like they all just dropped off the face of the Earth, they are just doing other projects right now.

All it's gonna take is Konami wanting to do another Suikoden game, and then they can gather the team back together. They key is getting Konami to realize that we want another canon Suikoden game.

Xelinis said:
Actually, wasn't Suikoden V technically developed by Hudson with Konami designers overseeing the project?
Yes, and now Hudson is a part of Konami.

I just don't want people to think that Suikoden is gone forever. Obviously we're in a rough patch now, but so are a lot of other series. Things can always change.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There is also still the possibility of re-releases of existing content and side projects, such as the Pachislot machine.
Ha. That make me chuckle. And then feel bad.

Gunloc said:

I still think those post-Tierkreis interviews with regards to the series' direction were just for promotion.

News is unfortunate, but I didn't think they'd sit around doing nothing for a few years. Doesn't mean that they can't get a new team to make one, but I agree--I've love the GS5 team to work on a new game. I hope Frontier Gate does well and maybe, just maybe, might encourage Konami to dip their toes in the RPG pool again.

KyteTron said:
DokiSui: DokiDoki Suikoden
No.

Only played 3 but didn't like it very much. Story/characters were only OK, lack of VA hurt it a lot (it was a somewhat early PS2 game but still. And I think it hurt S3 especially since it's the type of story that VA could work well in. I could live without any VA but it hurt S3.), very clunky gameplay (lol at the world map. Point and click type world map. So yeah, you have to go through every area in between to get to one area. Nothing like any other good RPGs where you can just walk to the location you want without going through all the ones in between.), boring music for the most part. One thing I like were how sharp the graphics were though. Like no jaggies. Too bad the graphics aren't that special though. Good art at least.

I'll try 5 sometime though. But seriously I'm surprised at the reviews S3 got. Even for its time its not that good.

Aeana

Bel Marduk said:
Only played 3 but didn't like it very much. Story/characters were only OK, lack of VA hurt it a lot (it was a somewhat early PS2 game but still. And I think it hurt S3 especially since it's the type of story that VA could work well in. I could live without any VA but it hurt S3.), very clunky gameplay (lol at the world map. Point and click type world map. So yeah, you have to go through every area in between to get to one area. Nothing like any other good RPGs where you can just walk to the location you want without going through all the ones in between.), boring music for the most part. One thing I like were how sharp the graphics were though. Like no jaggies. Too bad the graphics aren't that special though. Good art at least.

I'll try 5 sometime though. But seriously I'm surprised at the reviews S3 got. Even for its time its not that good.
As much as I do like 3, it isn't the high point of the series by any stretch. You should try 1, 2, or 5. 1 is on PSN!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Didn't Junko Kawano say a few years back at TGS that they were working on Suikoden VI for PS3?

And weren't there 3 different Suikoden teams at Konami?

Suikoden 3 was the Fumi Ishikawa team, Suikoden 4 was the Junko Kawano team, and Suikoden 5 was the King team.

That was why they all came out one right after the other on PS2.

I wouldn't count Suikoden out yet XD

Aeana said:
As much as I do like 3, it isn't the high point of the series by any stretch. You should try 1, 2, or 5. 1 is on PSN!
I agree. III had some good ideas, but I think the game play is not that great. The story and characters were good though.

But Suikoden V was really like a rebirth of the series to me. It was basically everything I wanted in a Suikoden game, and I enjoyed it immensely.

You'd think Konami would look at the Falcom's Kiseki series right now and see that there is totally a market for on-going story heavy RPGs. And they already have the best one out there IMO, they just need to use it. No one is expecting Suikoden to be a high budget, graphics heavy blockbuster. Play to it's strengths and know your audience, and they could get the series going again successfully.

Aeana

Akselziys said:
Didn't Junko Kawano say a few years back at TGS that they were working on Suikoden VI for PS3?

Suikoden 3 was the Fumi Ishikawa team, Suikoden 4 was the Junko Kawano team, and Suikoden 5 was the King team.

That was why they all came out one right after the other on PS2.

I wouldn't count Suikoden out yet XD
Konami is very different now.

Vandiger

Konami is a shadow of its former self, I don't want a sequel under this anemic Konami. Probably be worse than 4, honestly speaking.

GSR

When I was younger and without a PS1, I played a series of RPG Maker games that (by the creator's admission) were heavily inspired by Suikoden called Legion Saga. I remember enjoying them quite a bit, but I never played the actual games, which I'm sure are mounds better. If I were to play just one, which would be best? I'd go for I then II, but I'm not sure I have the time to play through two JRPGs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bel Marduk said:
Only played 3 but didn't like it very much.

GS1 (on PSN), GS2 and GS5 are probably your best bets for a good Suikoden title. I have a really soft spot for Tactics as well, but that doesn't mean people will like it. If you can read Japanese, I'd encourage importing the Suikoden I+II PSP collection. It's well-worth the price.

I liked the Suikogaiden games. Suikoden Card Stories was okay (it came with pretty cards :3). Suikoden 3 needed some improvements gameplay-wise (narrative was alright, but that gameplay makes me hesitate to return to it), and Suikoden 4 was... well, I don't judge it as harshly as other people do but I would never recommend it as a first Suikoden title.

Akselziys said:

Like others have said, old Konami seems to have defenestrated itself in favour of New Konami.

Aeana said:

I don't own a PS3/PSP :x I want to try to get 5 after Christmas though. I saw it for $30 but now it's back at $40. Hopefully it drops again later.

Xelinis

Vandiger said:
Konami is a shadow of its former self, I don't want a sequel under this anemic Konami. Probably be worse than 4, honestly speaking.

Fumiaki Tanaka is Konami's Yoichi Wada.

KC_MCDOHL over at Suikosource, who is in touch with the some members of the Suikoden team posted the following last month:

In regards to the 4Gamers article...

Thats a shame. I never heard that from him. (Komuta) But he did tell me he often thinks about making a new Suikoden and would love to do so. So it looks like they will be starting from scratch again?

And then last week...

I can't actually share anything that Sakiyama has shared with me, as I still haven't gained his permission to do so, as yet.

I don't think this is the end of the road though. There is many ways in which that statement can be perceived. Its not impossible for Konami, at the end of the day, to pull the old teams back together, if they choose to create another game.

I am almost at the end (I think) of Suikoden V and have really enjoyed myself. I skipped it when it first came out, waiting until just last month to finally track down a used copy from an amazon seller. But it did take a third try to get into it after quitting two times early on out of lack of interest. The visual presentation felt sloppy as well, with the worst offence being the shoddy town/dungeon graphics. I know the graphics in Suikoden are not the high points of the series, but even the lackluster IV looked better. The introductory scenes were also excruciatingly boring to me as well the first couple of times.

Then finally the game clicked with me. The battles were finally starting to get a bit more difficult than what I was seeing in the first few hours. And I was starting to have fun exploring the large (and ugly) towns looking for new recruits I may have missed. But in the end its the characters and story that eventually got me hooked on this game. I felt like I wasn't playing to fight more battles and bosses, but to see how the story turned out for the characters. Very rarely do I feel like I have a vested interest in what happens in a games story. That is what makes the game so incredible from what I have seen so far. Hopefully I can get on it and finish the game soon.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
KC_MCDOHL over at Suikosource, who is in touch with the some members of the Suikoden team posted the following last month:

In regards to the 4Gamer article...

And then last week...

Yeah, I doubt Konami would just throw in the towel and give up completely on their main RPG series.

Also, I doubt they'd allow some disbanded team members to randomly say as such XD;

thcsquad

Akselziys said:

This was pre-Tierkreis, which I believe is the key. The team probably had funding before Konami's non Metal Gear/PES business tanked.

There's several ways that Konami could probably make a Suikoden title that sells similarly to their older titles, but they've clearly given up.

Xelinis

thcsquad said:
This was pre-Tierkreis, which I believe is the key. The team probably had funding before Konami's non Metal Gear/PES business tanked.

Way before, I'm pretty sure that her saying that was just a little before the PS3 launched.

Aeana

Akselziys said:
Yeah, I doubt Konami would just throw in the towel and give up completely on their main RPG series.

Also, I doubt they'd allow some disbanded team members to randomly say as such XD;
Considering that RPGs aren't selling all that great these days, it's perfectly believable.

Regardless, the point here is that Konami's ranks are so lean that they had to contract tri-Ace to help them make a PSP game.

Icelight

jiggle said:
i thought 3 was the best of the bunch :X
You and me both! 2 was great, but 3 was the pinnacle of the series IMO.

(5 was good too, but really annoyed me with its super stringent requirements for recruiting some characters).

Sigh, I had pretty much given up ever seeing more iterations of the series but this has crushed the remainder of my hope :(

duckroll

Yeah I read this interview some time back. Didn't feel it was worth posting because no one here cares about Frontier Gate (and I don't either), and I didn't want to break any more Suikoden hearts.

I'd rather accept that Suikoden is gone than see it go through what happened to Silent Hill, or another Tierkreis. It's sad to see it go, but we always have Suikoden II, and they can't take that away. It was truly too good for this world.

abstract alien said:
That was the ds version right?
No, that's Tierkreis. (Which should be avoided if your looking for a Suikoden game.)

V is for PS2.

duckroll said:
Yeah I read this interview some time back. Didn't feel it was worth posting because no one here cares about Frontier Gate (and I don't either), and I didn't want to break any more Suikoden hearts.
It just makes mine stronger.

Aeana said:
No, it was on PS2.
Hmmm...I might not have. I just looked up the boxart and I don't really remember it :^/

A friend of mine has them all since he is a huge fan of each title, so I'll have to grab it from him and get a refresher.

Gunloc said:
No, that's Tierkreis. (Which should be avoided if your looking for a Suikoden game.)

V is for PS2.
Ah, Tierkreis. Oh Tierkreis, how you scarred me is is unforgivable.

Xelinis

duckroll said:

Bad news is better than no news.

RSLAEV

RomanticHeroX said:
I'd rather accept that Suikoden is gone than see it go through what happened to Silent Hill, or another Tierkreis. It's sad to see it go, but we always have Suikoden II, and they can't take that away. It was truly too good for this world.
Yeah they can't take it away, but they can do their damnest to make sure no one outside of Japan gets to play it by not re-releasing it >:[

Top Bottom