• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How

Reknoc

Kazerei said:
Nomura fans? You guys are weird :x

Why? Outside of his so-so character designs games he's involved with a generally pretty good and V-XIII is looking pretty amazing.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I figured this thread needed some Suikoden art to spruce it up and spread the love, so without further adieu, a shout out to all the Suikodens out there XD

Suikoden I

66247011.jpg

Suikoden II

38965918.jpg

Suikoden III

79543087.jpg

Suikoden IV

51376796.jpg

Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia/IV-2

75341415.jpg

Suikoden V

48191930.jpg

Suikogaiden I

sg1ae.jpg

Suikogaiden II

sg2zo.jpg

Suikoden Card Stories

scs.jpg

I absolutely love all the Suikoden artists as well <3 I'd be excited to see who they'd use as lead artist for Suikoden VI ;)

Would it be Fumi Ishikawa, Junko Kawano, or King :3?

TheChaos

Suikoden
Grandia
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean
Xenosaga :(
Shenmue
Lunar
.hack//
Breath of Fire (?)
Valkyrie Profile (?)
Dragon Quest
Tales of
Disgaea
Shin Megami Tensei
Legend of Heroes
Don't worry, we won't actually see most of those series over here anyway. We might not even see the second LoH game because the PSP is basically dead over here.

Dreamer RD

Gunloc said:
I don't think there's a true dud in the entire series. (Tierkreis excluded of course.) IV is obviously not up to the same standards as the others, but it's not horrible, just extremely mediocre.

V & II constantly battle for my #1 spot.

Well yeah 2 is obviously the best. To be honest I enjoyed 4 pretty much. There were awesome characters like Kika, Akagi and whole pirate band. But as a Suikoden, it's kinda bad. No Yuber = instant fail. Not to mention insane random encounters on ship.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fake Edit: *gasp* Akselziys, I've been looking for Suikoden hi-res art forever~! *snatches the GS1, 2, gaiden and 5 art*

thcsquad said:
I'm sure IV's quality hastened the decline. I remember our fanartist team at Suikosource started dropping off the face of the earth after Suikoden IV. I believe a number said they lost interest in the series at that point.

The sales of each title seem to reflect the perceived quality of the previous title- I and II had great reputations, so II and III sold phenomenally. III had a little worse reception so IV sold a little worse. IV had an awful reputation so V's sales tanked. At that point, there was no saving it. So should we blame Junko Kawano for this?
You do have a point there. Tactics turned out alright, imo, and Kawano was a producer on that one. But I guess the link to Suikoden IV kind of destroyed Tactics' chances of succeeding in the first place, eh? But maybe Konami could have done more to promote V (as niche as it is)? Probably not.

I replayed Suikoden IV recently and I don't really think it deserved all the venom lobbed towards it in retrospect. There are gameplay and narrative elements which definitely should have been improved upon, but some of the battle elements and minigames were nice (ie: three parties, though only on sea; back to a traditional setup, but unfortunately only with four party members; combo attacks level up and must be obtained rather than being automatically given to you, etc). The premise surrounding the Rune of Punishment is probably the biggest factor for me to not ding it so hard. Tactics, imo, made up for it, imo...

Suikoden IV's backgrounds and some of the art wasn't exactly compelling. There was something so dreary about the colour palette which made parts of it unappealing, I think.

Xelinis said:
It's not surprising when you consider the rampant DS piracy.
I completely forgot about that...

Akselziys said:
I figured this thread needed some Suikoden art to spruce it up and spread the love, so without further adieu, a shout out to all the Suikodens out there XD

I absolutely love all the Suikoden artists as well <3 I'd be excited to see who they'd use as lead artist for Suikoden VI ;)

Would it be Fumi Ishikawa, Junko Kawano, or King :3?
Lovely. Fumi Ishikawa would be my choice.

I'm listening to the Suikoden OST right now. Feels good.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
Fake Edit: *gasp* Akselziys, I've been looking for Suikoden hi-res art forever~! *snatches the GS1, 2, gaiden and 5 art*

I have much higher res than that XD Had to downscale for the forums of course ;)

Kronotech

Well this is a horrible belated birthday present to me. Konami just needs to re-launch it, re-brand it, and re-awesome it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man, what a shitty time to be a fan of...well, video games. All of my once favorite franchises are dropping one after another. :(

I really need to give Suikoden V a go one of these days.

mattp

you know, i've pretty much hated every game after suikoden 2(1 & 2 are among my favorite games ever), but...this is still heart crushing news
sigh

konami, what the hell happened to you?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Akselziys said:

Suikoden I

66247011.jpg
Pfft, that's not what Suikoden 1 looks like.

19757_1306995108dur2.jpg

Kronotech said:
Well this is a horrible belated birthday present to me. Konami just needs to re-launch it, re-brand it, and re-awesome it.
Put it on the Vita, focus on character interactions and story, and have realistic sales expectations.

No one should expect it to be some sort of major set piece for Konami, they need to actually gear it towards the people that will play it.

suzu

B-b-but, we never even got to visit Harmonia! I want a new Suikoden game (and Breath of Fire). :( *weep*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:
I have much higher res than that XD Had to downscale for the forums of course ;)
You are awesome. Ishikawa art is my favourite out of the bunch. There's just something so charming and unique about the artstyle that makes me adore it. It "flows" so nicely and perfectly.

I'd love to own this someday: http://www.konamistyle.jp/item/62808#.

Nirolak said:

http://www.abload.de/img/19757_1306995108dur2.jpg[img][/quote]
This cover always manages to make me laugh. My friends and I used to try figuring out who the people on the cover were supposed to be. We were mostly unsuccessful.

Superior cover!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jtpos.jpg

mattp said:
im not playing a relaunched suikoden unless they can get Miki Higashino out of retirement
Actually, they were going to ask her to compose some stuff on the Tierkreis soundtrack, but there were scheduling conflicts apparently.

Source

Reknoc

At least you all got some kind of confirmation about your favourite Konami series current status. When will Mr. Konami say "we've forgot how to make Goemon games"

Nirolak said:
I'm probably missing some, and I intentionally excluded anything that was ultra vague like half of ImageEpoch's non-announcements.

Are we not counting any of Nintendo's RPGs? We're getting a new Paper Mario soon, after all. And we did just get a new Golden Sun, maybe they'll keep with it this time. And of course, Pokemon.

Dreamer RD

Nirolak said:

19757_1306995108dur2.jpg

That cover is hilarious. The moustache guy is obviously Barbarossa Rugner. And the dude with bow below him is Tir lol.
Right one is Ted.
Girls are confusing, but the right one is definitely Odessa.

Pyrrhus

I always thought the guy with the rod was supposed to be Tir. Or Luc? Bow guy looks like maybe Viktor. The dominatrix is... Wendi? Maybe?

Dreamer RD said:
That cover is hilarious. The moustache guy is obviously Barbarossa Rugner. And the dude with bow below him is Tir lol.
Right one is Ted.
Girls are confusing, but the right one is definitely Odessa.
Actually, I think it's Barabarossa, Ted (the bow) and Windy on the left, and Luc & Leknaat on the right. (With Futch and Black in the middle.)

I love that the skull enemy is an accurate depiction though.

IrishNinja

Aeana said:
Did you try 5?

this this this

also: never gonna happen but idve paid top dollar for suikoden 1-5 (+ maybe tactics?) on a collection disc for PS3, widescreen, fuck trophies or HD, just as-is on a limited run or whatever. ZOE got it for 2 games, if they're gonna give this one up (and they clearly have), might as well give it a nice send-off.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gunloc said:
Actually, I think it's Barabarossa, Ted (the bow) and Windy on the left, and Luc & Leknaat on the right. (With Futch and Black in the middle.)

I love that the skull enemy is an accurate depiction though.
That's what I ended up guessing. And then I kept thinking to myself, "Why leave Tir McDohl off of the cover...?"

Or a glorious start up.
Re-releasing the games in some form might be a good idea to boost the series and its reputation a little. At least III and/or V in HD or I+II on Vita would seem like a good idea. I wonder why Suikoden II hasn't been released on PSN yet, though...

It's odd. They released the two arrange albums in the past year, and then they were planning to release this huge album collection that is to die for (which is now delayed)... I had assumed that they were planning something like a new title at least...

Fingers-crossed for something in 2015...?
Wishful thinking, I know.

Dark Schala said:
That's what I ended up guessing. And then I kept thinking to myself, "Why leave Tir McDohl off of the cover...?"
Well, when they are taking that much "artistic license", I doubt they care about putting the hero on the front. I'm pretty sure the artist probably didn't even come anywhere close to playing the game.

Dark Schala said:
Re-releasing the games in some form might be a good idea to boost the series and its reputation a little. At least III and/or V in HD or I+II on Vita would seem like a good idea. I wonder why Suikoden II hasn't been released on PSN yet, though...

It's odd. They released the two arrange albums in the past year, and then they were planning to release this huge album collection that is to die for (which is now delayed)... I had assumed that they were planning something like a new title at least...

Fingers-crossed for something in 2015...?
Wishful thinking, I know.
Wishful thinking is better than sulking IMO. Might as well be productive.

Ranger X

Well, this is sorta good news to me since that team indeed lost their RPG know-how after Suikoden 2.

I hope for them that they can express their talent elsewhere.

Zee-Row

Banned
I hated Suikoden 4 and 5 mainly because of the loading times. Loading times are a major breaking point when it comes to RPGs were you're going to battle a lot and visit and backtrack many areas in my opinion.

daoster

Ranger X said:
Well, this is sorta good news to me since that team indeed lost their RPG know-how after Suikoden 2.

I hope for them that they can express their talent elsewhere.

lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DukeTogo1300 said:
At least the PSN version changed the icon to the good cover, though it still has the bizzaro bad intro some intern threw together.
Too bad they couldn't have used the Sega Saturn version of the intro (also used in the PSP version), which is also admittedly cheesy but not as laughable.

Dark Schala said:
Too bad they couldn't have used the Sega Saturn version of the intro (also used in the PSP version), which is also admittedly cheesy but not as laughable.
I really like the Genso Suikoden intro, it is quite similar to Suikoden II NA's intro. I really don't know what possessed them to replace it with what we ended up getting in NA.

IrishNinja

Zee-Row said:
I hated Suikoden 4 and 5 mainly because of the loading times. Loading times are a major breaking point when it comes to RPGs were you're going to battle a lot and visit and backtrack many areas in my opinion.

prolly too late for you, but i played 5 via PS2 HDD loader - you install the games to a hard drive that goes in where the network adapter went, boots with fewer/sometimes no load times. 5 was a joy to play and i sank 100+ hours without knowing it, don't recall anything past normal loading times.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Konami is shitty nowadays. They disbanded the Silent Hill and Suikoden team and are left with just MGS.

Way to break more hearts, Konami. Fuck you so much.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nirolak said:

19757_1306995108dur2.jpg

I'm just curious, who are those in the cover? I only know Barbarossa.

Erethian

ShockingAlberto said:
So this may seem like a weird question to ask about a developer, but does Konami, like, make video games anymore

Aside from PES and Metal Gear?

*checks*

Uh... well I guess arcade rhythm games count, right?

Top Bottom