• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: The Suikoden Team Has Been Disbanded, We Have Lost Our RPG Know-How

Xelinis

XiaNaphryz said:
So what ultimately triggered Konami's fall from what it was to what it is now? Too much reliance on MGS and PES?

Fumiaki Tanaka's low-risk, high-reward strategy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
duckroll said:
Yeah I read this interview some time back. Didn't feel it was worth posting because no one here cares about Frontier Gate (and I don't either), and I didn't want to break any more Suikoden hearts.
I don't know if it's because I'm extremely tired, but my heart doesn't feel broken. I feel a little more determined, really.

thcsquad said:
This was pre-Tierkreis, which I believe is the key. The team probably had funding before Konami's non Metal Gear/PES business tanked.

There's several ways that Konami could probably make a Suikoden title that sells similarly to their older titles, but they've clearly given up.
Weren't sales of the series declining, at least in Japan, and that could have also factored into it?

Not sure if these numbers are accurate, but...

Suikoden II sold 214,608 units in 1998, 159,711 units in 1999 = 374,319
http://geimin.net/da/db/1998_ne_fa/index.php
http://geimin.net/da/db/1999_ne_fa/index.php

The rest of the Suikoden titles, for the PS2 are nicely charted on this graph.
http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=128
Suikoden III - 377,729
Suikoden IV - 303,069
Suikoden V - 194,780

I am unsure of Tierkreis's numbers. Wiki says it's 150K in Japan, but surely that number is outdated by now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cosmicblizzard said:
FUCK :(

There goes another JRPG series. What are we down to?
In known (or highly likely) active development we have:

Existing Series:
-Dragon Quest (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
-Kingdom Hearts (Square Enix)
-Dark Souls (Namco Bandai)
-Tales (Namco Bandai)
-Digimon (Namco Bandai)
-Ar Tonelico (Namco Bandai)
-Devil Survivor (Atlus)
-Persona (Atlus)
-Etrian Odyssey (Atlus)
-Disgaea (Nippon Ichi)
-Phantasy Star (Sega)
-7th Dragon (Sega)
-Valkyria Chronicles (Sega)
-Luminous Arc (ImageEpoch)
-Black Rock Shooter (ImageEpoch)
-Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
-Atelier (Gust)

New IPs:
-Frontier Gate (Konami)
-Beyond The Labyrinth (Konami)
-Ninokuni (Level 5)
-Fantasy Life (Level 5)
-Type-Moon Project (ImageEpoch)

It's possible to argue Dragon's Dogma as an JRPG, but Capcom is quite insistent that it's much more of an action game, so I'll go with their opinion on this one.

I'm probably missing some, and I intentionally excluded anything that was ultra vague like half of ImageEpoch's non-announcements.

Welp, as a huge Suikoden fan (mainline) I was always in denial even though I knew the series was probably dead. Guess it's 100%. Time to move on, sadface.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
Yeah well, I'm not faulting anyone for doing it, I just didn't want to do it myself! :)

Because you didn't want this...

WHAT IS KONAMI? A MISERABLE PILE OF METAL GEAR REHASHES, BUT ENOUGH TALK! HAVE AT YOU! *stabs OP*

Look what you made me do, Konami? Do you think I like killing people to get Suikoden 2 on PSN? Huh? DO YOU?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
I don't know if it's because I'm extremely tired, but my heart doesn't feel broken. I feel a little more determined, really.

Weren't sales of the series declining, at least in Japan, and that could have also factored into it?

Suikoden III - 377,729
Suikoden IV - 303,069
Suikoden V - 194,780

I am unsure of Tierkreis's numbers. Wiki says it's 150K in Japan, but surely that number is outdated by now.

Yeah, my Suikoden resolve burns brightly XD

As for USA LTD sales of Suikoden...

Suikoden I - 171,846
Suikoden II - 91,773
Suikoden III - 239,838
Suikoden IV - 140,585
Suikoden Tactics - 80,329
Suikoden V - 101,657

Tierkreis - 56,498

duckroll said:
Yeah well, I'm not faulting anyone for doing it, I just didn't want to do it myself! :)

Duck , just curious that info isn't in the interview(about the trade-off, idea coming from Konami). Where did you get that news from(or is it just a perfectly valid assumption)?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Duck , just curious that info isn't in the interview(about the trade-off, idea coming from Konami). Where did you get that news from(or is it just a perfectly valid assumption)?
Trade might be a brash word on my part, as opposed to more "idea spawned here, other idea spawned there."

-Pyromaniac- said:
Welp, as a huge Suikoden fan (mainline) I was always in denial even though I knew the series was probably dead. Guess it's 100%. Time to move on, sadface.
Why, though? The staff still works at Konami and they obviously still own the IP. Development teams disband all the time.

I'm still supporting series that have been dormant far longer than Suikoden, and I'm not going to stop with this either.

Yuterald

You know what, if the original team isn't there I don't want Konami outsourcing the franchise to some garbage western developer like they did with Silent Hill. If that series is any indication of what modernization/westernization can do to a series I don't want ANYONE touching Suikoden. Just let the series rest in peace.

Suikoden II was the pinnacle of the series anyway. As much as I would like to see more RPGs structured like Suikoden we already have the best one.

thcsquad

Dark Schala said:

Suikoden III - 377,729
Suikoden IV - 303,069
Suikoden V - 194,780

I'm sure IV's quality hastened the decline. I remember our fanartist team at Suikosource started dropping off the face of the earth after Suikoden IV. I believe a number said they lost interest in the series at that point.

The sales of each title seem to reflect the perceived quality of the previous title- I and II had great reputations, so II and III sold phenomenally. III had a little worse reception so IV sold a little worse. IV had an awful reputation so V's sales tanked. At that point, there was no saving it. So should we blame Junko Kawano for this?

Kazerei

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
FUCK :(

There goes another JRPG series. What are we down to?

Suikoden
Grandia
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean
Xenosaga :(
Shenmue
Lunar
.hack//
Breath of Fire (?)
Valkyrie Profile (?)
Dragon Quest
Tales of
Disgaea
Shin Megami Tensei
Legend of Heroes

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'll throw in my support of Suikoden III being pretty good.

I remember it being slow, but something about it clicked for me. A good overall cast of characters (including the main 3)

Aeana

Kazerei said:
Suikoden
Grandia
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean
Xenosaga :(
Shenmue
Lunar
.hack//
Breath of Fire (?)
Valkyrie Profile (?)
Dragon Quest
Tales of
Disgaea
Shin Megami Tensei
Legend of Heroes
Why... is Kingdom Hearts struck out?

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

It was an assumption on my part when I was telling Nirolak about this. It's not mentioned anywhere in the interview, other than how they were talking to tri-Ace about something else, when this idea came up. I feel it's pretty obvious that Konami wanted another developer who could make a JRPG based on their planning concepts within a reasonable time, and tri-Ace wanted a publisher for a new IP by the VP2/RoF team, and that's how Konami's team-up with tri-Ace resulted in two games.

Gunloc said:
Why, though? The staff still works at Konami and they obviously still own the IP. Development teams disband all the time.

I'm still supporting series that have been dormant far longer than Suikoden, and I'm not going to stop with this either.
Why though? What's the point of continuing to root for something when you'll likely never be rewarded. Sounds beyond likely. I think it has been every year since the last one where I'd go "maybe e3" and then "maybe tgs" lol. Really sucks. IMO it was the one series that could stand up to final fantasy, and even best it (1,2,3 are better than most FF games). No sense in continuing to think they will put the world/lore they created to good use.

Maybe next gen if a Japanese console that actually sells games (pretty much only ps4) becomes the leading system by a large margine, we may see the return of games like this to home consoles. I"ll restore 5% hope if that time comes. But if it doesn't then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and screw it. And screw konami (still heart you Kojima)

Incredibly emo post by me, Suikoden, serious business.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Why though? What's the point of continuing to root for something when you'll likely never be rewarded. Sounds beyond likely.
Well, when a key member of the Suikoden team say they are still interested in making more Suikoden games, I wouldn't be giving up hope.

I just don't think it's as bleak as some people are making it out to be.

Takao

Banned
Nirolak said:
In known (or highly likely) active development we have:

Existing Series:
-Dragon Quest (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
-Kingdom Hearts (Square Enix)
-Dark Souls (Namco Bandai)
-Tales (Namco Bandai)
-Digimon (Namco Bandai)
-Ar Tonelico (Namco Bandai)
-Devil Survivor (Atlus)
-Persona (Atlus)
-Etrian Odyssey (Atlus)
-Disgaea (Nippon Ichi)
-Phantasy Star (Sega)
-7th Dragon (Sega)
-Valkyria Chronicles (Sega)
-Luminous Arc (ImageEpoch)
-Black Rock Shooter (ImageEpoch)
-Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
-Atelier (Gust)

New IPs:
-Frontier Gate (Konami)
-Beyond The Labyrinth (Konami)
-Ninokuni (Level 5)
-Fantasy Life (Level 5)
-Type-Moon Project (ImageEpoch)

It's possible to argue Dragon's Dogma as an JRPG, but Capcom is quite insistent that it's much more of an action game, so I'll go with their opinion on this one.

I'm probably missing some, and I intentionally excluded anything that was ultra vague like half of ImageEpoch's non-announcements.

Medarot will remain alive, berieve. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gunloc said:
This. It's my favourite RPG series ever. Not giving up hope just yet. Especially since there are people who were on Suikoden teams still there and want to work on a new title, apparently.

Akselziys said:
Yeah, my Suikoden resolve burns brightly XD

As for USA LTD sales of Suikoden...

Suikoden III - 239,838
Suikoden IV - 140,585
Suikoden Tactics - 80,329
Suikoden V - 101,657

Tierkreis - 56,498
Yeouch. I wasn't expecting it to do that poorly. That's a little shocking, actually. If you take it as an independent title and stop thinking about it relative to other Suikoden titles, it's not really a bad game. The musical score is great.

Cipherr said:
Post a link to glorious island fortress someone....
I can give you a whole post of Suikoden stuff. Right here.

Xelinis

Dark Schala said:
Yeouch. I wasn't expecting it to do that poorly. That's a little shocking, actually. If you take it as an independent title and stop thinking about it relative to other Suikoden titles, it's not really a bad game. The musical score is great.

It's not surprising when you consider the rampant DS piracy.

Gunloc said:
Well, when a key member of the Suikoden team say they are still interested in making more Suikoden games, I wouldn't be giving up hope.

I just don't think it's as bleak as some people are making it out to be.
I don't want any Suikoden games. I disliked tierkreis quite a bit. I want a full fledged mainline continuation of the world set in a place they haven't explored yet that actually fits the timeline. It seems too ambitious for the konami of today despite anyone who still wants to do it. I don't know why I say it SEEMS too ambitious. Article in the OP basically confirms it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dark Schala said:
This. It's my favourite RPG series ever. Not giving up hope just yet. Especially since there are people who were on Suikoden teams still there and want to work on a new title, apparently.

I can give you a whole post of Suikoden stuff. Right here.

Yup :D!

Suikoden is one of my favorite RPG series :) A few obstacles won't deter that ;)

And I agree Tierkreis was decent for what it was (an entertaining DS RPG), but I don't consider it Suikoden in the slightest XD;

duckroll said:
Huh? Who said that?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29804427&postcount=25

-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't want any Suikoden games. I disliked tierkreis quite a bit. I want a full fledged mainline continuation of the world set in a place they haven't explored yet that actually fits the timeline. It seems too ambitious for the konami of today despite anyone who still wants to do it. I don't know why I say it SEEMS too ambitious. Article in the OP basically confirms it.
Well, no one wants a new Tierkreis.

The continuity is the most important thing to me too, it's actually my favorite aspect of the series so far. As I said previously, Konami needs to take a page from Falcom's playbook and see how successful they've been with the Kiseki/Legend of Heroes series, another HIGHLY story driven RPG in a continuing world.

The market is out there, and they already have a dormant fan base just begging for a new entry. They just need to tap into it.

duckroll said:
Oh, so there's no official statement? I wouldn't count on it then. Konami has never given a shit about what any of their employees think, not even Kojima.
Well, I didn't say it was a statement, but it is from members of the Suikoden team.

Konami as an entity doesn't say anything useful, ever.

duckroll

Gunloc said:
Well, I didn't say it was a statement, but it is from members of the Suikoden team.

Konami as an entity doesn't say anything useful, ever.

They did here though. They pretty much allowed the director to say "well since we haven't made a Suikoden game in a long long time, man I think we forgot how to develop RPGs, whoops!" in an official interview!

duckroll said:
They did here though. They pretty much allowed the director to say "well since we haven't made a Suikoden game in a long long time, man I think we forgot how to develop RPGs, whoops!" in an official interview!
I bet they've already dispatched the "cleaning" crew over that gem.

Mind assimilation is nigh.

Aeana

Kazerei said:
Nomura fans? You guys are weird :x
Not me. I don't even like any of the other KH games besides 1. But Birth by Sleep is legitimately good. The combat is finally good, for the first time.

Dreamer RD said:
Bad news. But Suikoden died after 3rd.
5 was tolerable though.
I don't think there's a true dud in the entire series. (Tierkreis excluded of course.) IV is obviously not up to the same standards as the others, but it's not horrible, just extremely mediocre.

V & II constantly battle for my #1 spot.

Top Bottom