• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: A Random 4chan Poster Leaked Nintendo's Switch Event Before It Began

Your criticisms are very petty, sorry dude but you have an agenda there...
especially in bookmarking it.

He's bang in about the lack of cutscene explaining the story. You're right that there's lots of cutscene, but they explain shit. They're flashy nonsense. The meat is told through the bros conversations and listening to the radio.
Those aren't "criticisms," they're issues of a person making things up about a game.

Verendus outright lied about playing the game.

Permanently A

Your criticisms are very petty, sorry dude but you have an agenda there...
especially in bookmarking it.

He's bang in about the lack of cutscene explaining the story. You're right that there's lots of cutscene, but they explain shit. They're flashy nonsense. The meat is told through the bros conversations and listening to the radio.

The most telling one is the magic system. Its not experimental, they straight up tell you what you'll make.

vern

Where are your leaks? Not trying to be an ass just never saw anything

Main thing I brought up numerous times was that I heard the OS was super spartan and bare bones, and that it wouldn't include 3rd party entertainment apps or a browser. I heard months ago that Nintendo wanted an all encompassing mobile app to compliment the Switch experience instead of having a bunch of other shit (both on the console and outside of it as well) competing for your attention.

I said they wanted a machine strictly for games and that was their design philosophy and how they would market it.

I have heard 10 or so third party and indie games that are in development. I leaked steep a few months ago but later backtracked cuz I heard it was canned after the poor launch on the other consoles. That info was wrong apparently.

I was first to mention 3.2gb ram for games and 0.8 for OS, we haven't heard yet if that's true but I guess you should probably assume that based on what we've seen of the OS.

I mentioned 32gb SKU only, I heard one SKU ... I was wrong... but not because of HDD size obviously, just because of color.

I mentioned Nintendo showing a google cardboard like VR solution to devs that is a long way out still. That's been more or less backed up by patents I believe and by Ob1 dude on YouTube.

Software I can't name any other games that I've heard are in development, but a few people guessed correctly based on some hints on at least one game in other threads.

I mentioned a R* game I've heard is in development and due for the fall. Remake/port/remaster whatever you wanna call it. People called me out before on mixing up the terminology. They are dumb. The game was available on 360/PS3 and is still coming to switch as far as I know. Can't say if it's already out on PS4/bone.

All this is in my post history, but here it is now all in one place as well. As always, don't take it as 100% fact as things in development are subject to change. I may have forgot a thing or two I've shared over the past few months, but these are the main things.

Rozart

It brought light to those allegations of him not having legit info though. kind of makes you look back at his whole post history and go, "huh."

Did he not get a lot of things right though? The hints/predictions about all the different games that are coming out I mean.

daffy

Banned
Starting to question the benefit of leakers anymore. For something as facile as gaming i just feel like its more trouble than its worth.

Vena

Sounds like damage control in the name of Nintendo from her though.

She's not their PR.

He did get right, free internet at launch and could be paid later, shin megami tensei Switch

Some of the other stuff could come later, but those are not easy guess

I think his source has more or less been validated by SMT. Of course, he called it "exclusive" and that may not actually be the case but his ability to have it correct in general, and be spot on with online, make it seem rather on point.

I suspect the other things we've heard from him are simply not yet unveiled or only experimental things.

Wayoshi

LKD and Eurogamer were so on in October's Switch reveal, so it's disappointing that they got so much wrong here. I mean, OK Nintendo maybe decided late not to show some things, but how do you completely miss 1 2 Switch?

Laura Kate Dale nailed most of the hardware details, only important thing she seemed to get wrong was Analog triggers. It's the software lineup and release info she blew... release dates basically all wrong, Splatoon wasn't a pack in, price was wrong, there was no deluxe sku, etc. And it's a touch worrying, because I'm HYPED for a possible Xenoblade X remaster, but Laura is the only one to report that and I don't know that I fully trust her at this point on software info.

But Emily Rogers is doing pretty solid so far. She didn't say nearly as much leading up to the Switch presentation, and I think a lot of people falsely attribute many of Laura's incorrect statements to both her AND Emily when Emily never chimed in on them.

Vena

Laura Kate Dale nailed most of the hardware details, only important thing she seemed to get wrong was Analog triggers. It's the software lineup and release info she blew... release dates basically all wrong, Splatoon wasn't a pack in, price was wrong, there was no deluxe sku, etc. And it's a touch worrying, because I'm HYPED for a possible Xenoblade X remaster, but Laura is the only one to report that and I don't know that I fully trust her at this point on software info.

But Emily Rogers is doing pretty solid so far. She didn't say nearly as much leading up to the Switch presentation, and I think a lot of people falsely attribute many of Laura's incorrect statements to both her AND Emily when Emily never chimed in on them.

We're hearing mixed messages here from people, so leave that one to a toss up until Nintendo clarifies.

We're hearing mixed messages here from people, so leave that one to a toss up until Nintendo clarifies.

I would really love that to be wrong, but I don't believe I've personally seen any impressions that the Switch's various controllers have anything but digital triggers with a tiny amount of give. If you've seen something else, anything, please link me, I need a hope line on this! I want analog triggers pretty bad!

pa22word

There's no benefit to posting rumors on GAF. Seriously. It's incredibly hostile to insiders.
It was seriously one of the most idiotic moderation decisions I've ever seen on this site. "Hey let's ban this guy for being a little bit incorrect on somethings even though he's our best leaker and drives up tons of traffic to our site, that'll teach his ass that glorious gaf deserves the best leaks! The best!"

Like there was no logic to it and seemed directly spiteful just for the sake of it.

Jintor

Starting to question the benefit of leakers anymore. For something as facile as gaming i just feel like its more trouble than its worth.

i don't know that there really is any. in terms of keeping consumers informed prior to purchasing decisions, all that stuff is taken care of in the course of normal marketing before release. leaks are just for fanboy fights and driving traffic.

Kareha

There's no incentive to leaking anything on GAF. Posters heckle you, moderators ask for your source and ban you if it doesn't pan out, no redemption when your rumors turn out true.

Its a good thing for the mods to do that so they get rid of people who are unreliable or just plain bullshitters.

benzopil

Sorry to interject and possibly derail but after having spent 20hours so far with FF15 and currently at chapter 6, most of what he wrote definitely is in line with what I've been playing.

Huh? There's no clear lies there. The bottom two paragraphs are quite accurate. And there's nothing inherently wrong about his comments about the magic and weapons. He just seems to have a different impression than you.

This is pretty pathetic to be honest.
Yeah I'm reading his quotes and that's exactly how I would describe the game lol. Don't see anything wrong honestly,

No offense Jason, but your retorts in that post are ludicrous. Every single part of that text that you quoted is pretty much spot on or at the very least, partially accurate. Far from "Bullshit" or "False". For example, at no point does he even suggest that Summons are used a lot in the game. In fact he clearly states the opposite, that they're not a central part of the battle system, just that they're awe-inspiring WHEN they're used.

Also, there are NOT a 'ton' of cutscenes in the game. Far from it. It's one of the biggest complaints that fans have made about the game in fact, that there just isn't enough exposition through cutscenes and certain events just happen off-screen without being shown to the player.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm actually more curious about the GAF insiders who said it wouldn't be any problem to port any games to the Switch. We still don't know much about the actual specs but aside from the UE4 powered SMTV, it's curious that even FIFA was based on the last gen engine.

That has been debunked in other threads. EA doesnt want to port Frostbyte. Has nothing to do with power.

Rozart

No offense Jason, but your retorts in that post are ludicrous. Every single part of that text that you quoted is pretty much spot on or at the very least, partially accurate. Far from "Bullshit" or "False". For example, at no point does he even suggest that Summons are used a lot in the game. In fact he clearly states the opposite, that they're not a central part of the battle system, just that they're awe-inspiring WHEN they're used.

Also, there are NOT a 'ton' of cutscenes in the game. Far from it. It's one of the biggest complaints that fans have made about the game in fact, that there just isn't enough exposition through cutscenes and certain events just happen off-screen without being shown to the player.

Sorry to interject and possibly derail but after having spent 20hours so far with FF15 and currently at chapter 6, most of what he wrote definitely is in line with what I've been playing.

Huh? There's no clear lies there. The bottom two paragraphs are quite accurate. And there's nothing inherently wrong about his comments about the magic and weapons. He just seems to have a different impression than you.

Okay, so it wasn't just me. I was reading through those posts and I thought I was going crazy there for a moment because the things that he detailed in his XV impressions mirrored what I experienced in my own game.

People like to be known and the attention. This is mostly why he made up playing ff. Twitter and such is basically work. No one is going to hardly tweet for you on your account after all. That takes some big passion or like in it.

It was seriously one of the most idiotic moderation decisions I've ever seen on this site. "Hey let's ban this guy for being a little bit incorrect on somethings even though he's our best leaker and drives up tons of traffic to our site, that'll teach his ass that glorious gaf deserves the best leaks! The best!"

Like there was no logic to it and seemed directly spiteful just for the sake of it.

Cboat not only bullshitted in NPD threads, he flat out called Respawn liars when they clarified the resolution of TitanFall (they weren't), and he was notably selective on which One hardware/software announcements he would leak.

If anything, he had definite sources, he just had an obvious bone to pick with MS. A fanboy leaker is still a fanboy.

kpaadet

Anyone remember the name of that insider that said we would get a Damian Wayne Batman game, I assume he's banned now.......

zewone

Target database had the real MSRP of $299.99 in their systems 2 days before the reveal and I made a thread and it was quickly locked.

Nothing stops the hypetrain.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Obe1 was also right on a lot of things too lol

Oh, right, let's do a recap of Obe1's Switchmas rumours

Switchmas day 1 - Assassin's Creed Egypt on Switch, same day as PS4/One | Not confirmed yet, only backed by LKD; Ubisoft has more Switch titles that will show in the future, but of course that doesn't automatically mean AC:E is there
Switchmas day 2 - Switch VR planned to be a product | Unconfirmed for now
Switchmas day 3 - REVII coming on Switch with VR mode, still off | Unconfirmed for now
Switchmas day 4 - Nintendo Switch will have Voice Chat | Voice chat happened (even if with a paid app for phones), but he also mentioned using Bluetooth headphones with mics for playing with the controller at home; I believe that was his assumption based on FCC listings featuring Bluetooth support for the controller. Also, I fear it's still unclear if headphones with mics can be connected to the Switch's tablet. It seems so, though, since the Japanese website mentions headphones and mics.
Switchmas day 5 - A new SMT for Switch | That was vague, but surprisingly correct, especially considering how he said it's still early in development, just like it was stated on stage
Switchmas day 6 - The "click" sound used in ads is not the real click sound when JoyCons are connected + Retro NOT working on a new DK game | First part is "No shit Sherlock", the second one is between unconfirmed and vastly rumoured among the most trustful Nintendo-related insiders circle.
Switchmas day 7 - Koei Tecmo working on another Warriors game, not Zelda/Star Fox related | It could've been a vague guess, but Fire Emblem Warriors' announcement at the Switch event puts this under a different light
Switchmas day 8 - Nintendo Switch full charge under 30 minutes | He got this one completely wrong, nothing else to say here
Switchmas day 9 - Platinum working on a Switch exclusive | Unconfirmed for now
Switchmas day 10 - Free online multiplayer at launch | That was correct
Switchmas day 11 - Possibility to add Twitter / Facebook friends on Switch + No streaming apps at launch due to games focus | Unconfirmed for now the former, correct the latter (and in line with what vern heard and stated in all the threads).
Switchmas day 12 - New Metroid game from an unexpected studio | Between unconfirmed and highly suggested by the aforementioned insiders circle

Yeah I'm reading his quotes and that's exactly how I would describe the game lol. Don't see anything wrong honestly,

The Magic section is clearly the most obviously false statement.

The entire post is written as if he were someone who might have seen "insider" footage of the game or who might have just made up impressions based on the public footage/interviews released or who might have made up impressions based on other impressions/rumors or who might have played the game.

The key issue is when he didn't respond to clarification and didn't respond to mod messages. He was a bullshitter and we all knew hat anyways. The FFXV debacle was just the cherry on top.

jschreier

First of all, it's fascinating that some people will continue to believe in someone, hunting down any possible excuse for why he couldn't possibly be full of it, no matter how many of his statements turn out to be clear bullshit. Cults of personality are very powerful things. Even when it becomes obvious that he's literally writing fanfiction, there are those who will always want to believe.

Re: Final Fantasy XV - As I've said several times before, one of Verendus's specialties was writing lots of vague, psychic-style statements that made it seem like he knew what he was talking about, even as they fell apart under close scrutiny. In this case, everything he wrote was based on public information gathered from A) all of the press previews and B) Edge's piece about how the game is split into linear and non-linear sections. Because his impressions are so vague and generic ("There's a good sense of variety to the locations and the towns"), it's easy to read them and assume he played the game. But he took some guesses that turned out to be wrong (like the magic system forcing you to experiment) and there are some clear red flags.

If the post I linked isn't enough for you, here is the most obvious tipoff that he was full of it:

Final Fantasy XV is different thanks to its game structure. I'm not fond of the opening two chapters. It's a pretty bland beginning thanks to the starting area, and while I still enjoyed the game, those are definitely the weakest sections. Instead, I prefer the game from chapter five onwards. It's not the half way point of the game, but at that stage, I was invested in the title and its characters. The first three to five chapters did a great job of drawing me in, and immersing me in the world, but it was after that I really appreciated the journey. Spoiler: Thanks to the way the design suddenly changed on me, it helped me appreciate the open world aspect a little more too. I didn't have to follow that same routine all the way through.

Verendus likely guessed, based on the preview builds and press impressions, that after five chapters the game switched from "open world" to linear. Of course, anyone who's played the game knows that nothing happens after the first 3-5 chapters that would make someone draw that kind of distinction, and in fact, it's after Chapter 8 that the game takes a turn. Nobody who has actually played Final Fantasy XV would write something like "The first three to five chapters did a great job of drawing me in, and immersing me in the world, but it was after that I really appreciated the journey" because Chapters 6-8 follow the same exact rhythm as 1-5. There'd be no reason to single out 1-5 in particular... unless you're jumping to conclusions based on the preview build, which only contained the first five chapters of the game.

Then there's this:

So while the first third, and a little bit more, serve to build up your characters and lay the foundation, the second two thirds are where you slowly become involved in the greater plot, and escalation naturally occurs. This means the narrative progression also feels stronger. The last five to ten hours in particular are pretty excellent because it's just simply not what I was expecting heading into this game.

You can try to do mental gymnastics to fit this description into the real game ("first third" = Chapters 1-8? "last five to ten hours" = Chapter 13?) but it really doesn't make sense. He made some guesses and got them wrong.

Hope that helps?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Damn I hope this R* remaster Vern is hinting at turns out to be Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead mobile hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

About that

https://twitter.com/Yan2295/status/820686420599853057

I've asked on Twitter about this guy, and he seems to have a good grasp on developments at R* (he seemingly leaked several DLC stuff for GTA months in advance), but of course I can't rely just on that, I need more proofs from more people. Anyone here knows him and can speak on his status as a leaker?

Simo

I mentioned a R* game I've heard is in development and due for the fall. Remake/port/remaster whatever you wanna call it. People called me out before on mixing up the terminology. They are dumb. The game was available on 360/PS3 and is still coming to switch as far as I know. Can't say if it's already out on PS4/bone.

Interesting you mentioned this and then today the L.A Noire remake for Switch rumor pops up today..lol

About that

I've asked on Twitter about this guy, and he seems to have a good grasp on developments at R* (he seemingly leaked several DLC stuff for GTA months in advance), but of course I can't rely just on that, I need more proofs from more people. Anyone here knows him and can speak on his status as a leaker?

Yan is hit and miss and honestly I wouldn't really hold too much weight to his rumors as he's been wrong just as much as he's been right just from my experience reading his leaks.

Folks datamine Rockstar's updates and patches to get an idea on what's potentially coming in future updates and try to pass these off as leaks.

Main thing I brought up numerous times was that I heard the OS was super spartan and bare bones, and that it wouldn't include 3rd party entertainment apps or a browser. I heard months ago that Nintendo wanted an all encompassing mobile app to compliment the Switch experience instead of having a bunch of other shit (both on the console and outside of it as well) competing for your attention.

I said they wanted a machine strictly for games and that was their design philosophy and how they would market it.

I have heard 10 or so third party and indie games that are in development. I leaked steep a few months ago but later backtracked cuz I heard it was canned after the poor launch on the other consoles. That info was wrong apparently.

I was first to mention 3.2gb ram for games and 0.8 for OS, we haven't heard yet if that's true but I guess you should probably assume that based on what we've seen of the OS.

I mentioned 32gb SKU only, I heard one SKU ... I was wrong... but not because of HDD size obviously, just because of color.

I mentioned Nintendo showing a google cardboard like VR solution to devs that is a long way out still. That's been more or less backed up by patents I believe and by Ob1 dude on YouTube.

Software I can't name any other games that I've heard are in development, but a few people guessed correctly based on some hints on at least one game in other threads.

All this is in my post history, but here it is now all in one place as well. As always, don't take it as 100% fact as things in development are subject to change. I may have forgot a thing or two I've shared over the past few months, but these are the main things.

Thanks for putting everything into one post. Can you confirm if the Smash 4 port is still coming?

About that

Now we have moved on to another 6 year old game

just what the switch needs

Top Bottom