• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku encourages piracy

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't follow switch stuff much in this regard, but is it possible to dump switch carts?

If so, does this explicitly promote piracy? Yes I know it's still a grey area and kotaku is absolute shit, but historically emulation isn't automatically piracy (even if it often ends up as such)

Yes. It explicitly promotes piracy. Read the damn thing.

"Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers."

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Nintendo are sitting on their older games for no reason, the switch is easily capable of having its own shop with retro games.
The games are Nintendo's to do as they wish. They don't need a reason for anything as they own the IP.

People can stop supporting Nintendo of they don't like it, but we know that's not going to happen.

Sleepwalker

The games are Nintendo's to do as they wish. They don't need a reason for anything as they own the IP.

People can stop supporting Nintendo of they don't like it, but we know that's not going to happen.

I mean yeah, they can do whatever they like with their IPS. I will emulate them until they give me a convenient way to play them on their hardware.

Truth be told I don't really revisit old games nowadays anyhow, but yeah

Im not trying to single you out and thats good you'd buy it. But all systems are a paperweight after you finish playing games on them. Its a hard sell because when they put out games people want they just rationalize piracy. There's plenty to play on Switch.

Maybe not enough for them to justify buying the system.

Literally all of the Metroid games were available last gen for cheap. Prime Trilogy launched for $20 on day one. They're all still on the digital stores right now.

Not everyone will be able or interested to buy a given system at a particular time frame. I've had to pass up a few limited products to save money.

Sorry but that's an extremely weak excuse.

I don't ignore the value of emulation, when used well, but the fact that it's a massive piracy enabler, especially on modern platforms that are readily available, is doubtless, and denying it would be massively disingenuous. Are you seriously, unironically going to tell me you really believe the majority of people who use Switch emulators go to the store to buy the cardtriges? Because there's a limit to naivety.

When writing an article about a topic so tightly linked with piracy, whether we like it or not, an even remotely well-intentioned writer acting in good faith would have prefaced it with a massive disclaimer. This dude didn't even bother adding a footnote.

There's a limit to justifying dishonesty to blanket-justify emulation.

An article justifying piracy of modern games does not invalidate the positives of emulation regarding preservation. Both things (piracy of readily available new games bad, preservation of discontinued games good) can be true!

That’s not how intellectual property rights work. I agree with the sentiment as a consumer, but not the way laws work. The demand means there will be a greater possibility of piracy due to limited supply, but cannot force them to make it available. It is piracy no matter how unfair we as games may think it is

Illegal != immoral.

You'd already have one if you gave a shit about playing Metroid games or Nintendo games. The goal post keeps getting moved. It could literally be on Steam and people would justify piracy because Nintendo doesn't put their games on sale for $5.

People are lying. Obviously.

Again, not everyone who wants it now had the opportunity, the awareness or the interest in picking them up at the time. This goes for any piece of media all the time.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
An article justifying piracy of modern games does not invalidate the positives of emulation regarding preservation. Both things (piracy of readily available new games bad, preservation of discontinued games good) can be true!

This thread is about the article justifying piracy of modern games.

If you want to beat the dead horse of the positives of legal emulation, feel free to do it on your own time. Doing it in this context definitely stinks of apologism for the article. Articles like this do not do any favors to emulation and just put it in a bad light.

Last edited:

Utherellus

How dare we buy Nintendo games and rip it into the emulators so we - consumers can get far more better experience because original hardware is inferior af.

Bad consumers. Bad. We all should suffer exactly the way Nintendo has intended.

And for individuals bashing emulation, I have a quest for you: Help Nintendo in court. Coz they have been losing countless cases against emulator devs for decades.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If this is encouraging piracy then every girl I've ever been with endorses Christianity
Watch Out Reaction GIF

Draugoth

Gold Member
If this is encouraging piracy then every girl I've ever been with endorses Christianity

Pretty sure Kotaku journalist got impressed by the performance and how fast the game got working and decided to make an article on it without realising he would be endorsing piracy.

Either way, some internet articles arent going to impact on this game sales numbers overall, specially with the overall reaction.

Banned
Steam Deck is probably going to run Switch games better than the Switch can, and I can't wait for the dramatic meltdowns wherever it gets talked about.

since less powerful already released PC handhelds already get close to that... yeah... I bet it will run them better.

Banned
Steam Deck would still need to emulate those games. So games that run like crap would likely still run like crap.

uhm... WHAT? emulation can enhance performance of games you know...
and since basically every other switch title has unstable framerates and dynamic resolutions this is very much something that emulation can really help with

Last edited:

nkarafo

Just follow this guide:

- Emulation = Legal in most cases.

- Dumping Roms = Legal in most cases, ethical in all cases.

- Downloading Roms = Illegal in most cases.

- Downloading Roms of games you already bought = Illegal in most cases, ethical in most cases.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Steam Deck is probably going to run Switch games better than the Switch can, and I can't wait for the dramatic meltdowns wherever it gets talked about.
It's been talked about here a lot already. It took over some of the early Steam Deck threads for a while. A lot of "better Switch than the Switch" talk has already occurred.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's Kotaku for ya. Anything to get clicks. And goes to show you what kind of writers they have.

Imagine if a movie site came out and said "Hey movie lovers, No Time to Die has good quality copies on Movie Stream site X".

You'd think the movie site is scum. And thats how you should treat Kotaku. A site with zero value, so it comes down to weird anti-industry content.

The fact the site was born from parent company Gawker should be enough for you to know what kind of gaming content they'd produce.

Lethal01

How dare we buy Nintendo games and rip it into the emulators so we - consumers can get far more better experience because original hardware is inferior af.

Bad consumers. Bad. We all should suffer exactly the way Nintendo has intended.

And for individuals bashing emulation, I have a quest for you: Help Nintendo in court. Coz they have been losing countless cases against emulator devs for decades.

This is an article specifically promoting piracy. No point bringing in the fact that you COULD get it legally into this.

Lethal01

Pretty sure Kotaku journalist got impressed by the performance and how fast the game got working and decided to make an article on it without realising he would be endorsing piracy.

Either way, some internet articles arent going to impact on this game sales numbers overall, specially with the overall reaction.
They are literally thanking pirates in the blog.
It's a shitty thing to do whether it hurt sales or not.

Sophist

Emulation itself isn't piracy. Downloading ROMs and ISOs of copyrighted content is.
It's not immoral to play a game that you own on an emulator, especially if the latter gives you a superior experience.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I have a friend that is playing in PC because the game on his switch got frame drops. Not even Nintendo funded games can run well on this machine.

Some people would go over every kind of hurdle to play Nintendo games, but to not touch Nintendo hardware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Emulation itself isn't piracy. Downloading ROMs and ISOs of copyrighted content is.
It's not immoral to play a game that you own on an emulator, especially if the latter gives you a superior experience.
C'mon.

How many people bought VCRs, CD burners, or download emulators to just make back up copies of legit movies and games they bought.

The OP didn't exactly quote the right part, so before you say "no they don't" before reading the article, the proper quote should be.

While emulation of dead platforms that you own for games you own is somewhat a grey area, and there is a decent argument for not wanting to apply more tear and wear on old consoles, emulation of a new game bypassing its platform slides a lot more toward clear cur piracy. The "But I mean buy a Switch and then put it into a closet to gather cobweb just to justify using the Switch emulator!" argument doesn't hold much water to justify this article or the writer.
It’s the same thing. The exact same rules apply. Doesnt matter how old the game is.

Athreous

Please, by no means I want to promote piracy... Please, don't ban me but let me know if this is wrong, so I can delete/remake this post...

I love Nintendo games, I owned almost every console they made... But right now, all my Switch games are being played on emulators... My hands get numb using the swicth for some reason (the same happens with my ps vita), so instead of using my portables, I prefer to play the games using Yuzu... The games work great, and being able to play in 4k and 60 fps most of times is just great, something that I'll prolly never reach in a Nintendo console...

Please, by no means I want to promote piracy... Please, don't ban me but let me know if this is wrong, so I can delete/remake this post...

I love Nintendo games, I owned almost every console they made... But right now, all my Switch games are being played on emulators... My hands get numb using the swicth for some reason (the same happens with my ps vita), so instead of using my portables, I prefer to play the games using Yuzu... The games work great, and being able to play in 4k and 60 fps most of times is just great, something that I'll prolly never reach in a Nintendo console...
I connected the switch to my OLED 4K 65inch TV once. “Never” touched the console again. I always buy Nintendo Systems just in case I ever want to play Pokemon again.

carlosrox

Banned
Funding and encouraging more games like Dread get made is infinitely more important and more beneficial for gamers than a resolution bump. Its literally the game of the year and the best Metroid ever made. If it sells gangbusters I'm sure they'll be encouraged to make another. Or you guys can enjoy a few extra pixels while complaining about not having a good Metroid for the next 30 years.

These people are morons. Of all the games to pirate, they pick the biggest underdog Nintendo has that would benefit the most from sales.

100%.

Graphics whore morons need those few extra pixels and no frame drops for a game to be acceptable.

Fuck pirate scum.

martino

An accurate reporting of something possible is not encouraging it when it's nowhere said in the article in the archive i read.(at least not for dread on switch)
Still have doubt , can you not be stubborn and read the real intention from the words of the guy you are not in the head :
Update: 10/10/2021: 2:20 p.m. : An earlier version of this story was understood by many readers to be a direct suggestion to illegally download this just-released game. We regret this interpretation. Kotaku believes emulation is a vital part of the world of gaming, not least when it comes to game preservation, while not directly encouraging anyone to break the law and download games they have not purchased. We believe our readers are intelligent adults capable of making such choices for themselves, independently of us.
what is forgotten is unrelated hate or agendas with the subject here make people stubborn and sure of their interpretations and process of intent from void.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
That apology is amazing:

"We regret that you dumb fucks interpreted our literally piracy praising words as piracy praising.
We are very sorry about the mistake that you made, dear readers.
We did not make any mistake here."

Reality beating satire, again and again.

Cryio

I always thought about this topic. Like, I'm currently playing the Sly Cooper Collection. I would gladly buy it if it was available on PC. But the games are only available on PS2 and PS3. Can you even buy them legally from somewhere, aside from other people on eBay / Amazon / etc?

The answer is No as far as I know. You can't repay the developer / publisher currently. So I'll keep playing them on RPCS3 at 4K60 with 16xAF and FidelityFX CAS.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Nintendo's handling of old games is very bad, Kotaku is right. I should buy a WiiU to play old Nintendo games because that games are not available on Switch. Even if they are available on Switch I have to rebuy it. At full price if they are not too old.

Nintendo is indefensible on piracy.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
An accurate reporting of something possible is not encouraging it when it's nowhere said in the article in the archive i read.(at least not for dread on switch)
Still have doubt , can you not be stubborn and read the real intention from the words of the guy you are not in the head :

what is forgotten is unrelated hate or agendas with the subject here make people stubborn and sure of their interpretations and process of intent from void.
They think their audience are intelligent adults except if it has to do with racism, sexism or any other issue that they do want to beat you over the head with.

Last edited:

radewagon

"One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It’s a service issue, the easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”
- Gabe Newell

Piracy offers available downloads of all the classic Metroid games playable on current gen hardware. Nintendo does not. You need to hunt ebay or used shops for legacy hardware and/or titles.

Piracy offers a superior experience of the newest Metroid game even though Nintendo released a console refresh, like, literally to coincide with the new Metroid title.

Piracy good vs. piracy bad seems like the wrong discussion. Newell's right. Irrespective of price, why is piracy offering a better service/experience for the Metroid fanbase than Nintendo?

Last edited:

shaddam

If you cant buy the game digitally or on disk its hard to see piracy as a problem. BTW by buying on disk I mean for a real price, not overinflated scalping one

Top Bottom