• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Fans Are Ripping The Halo World Championship For Its Shabby Venue

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Couple people from the event commented on their experience so far via TeamBeyond:

Just saw these. Ok, I didn't have the full picture yesterday. I was wrong. This is 100% unacceptable and esl/343 should be held accountable. Halo isn't huge these days, but we can do a lot better than this.

CyReN

Just saw these. Ok, I didn't have the full picture yesterday. I was wrong. This is 100% unacceptable and esl/343 should be held accountable. Halo isn't huge these days, but we can do a lot better than this.

Yep, the only thing Halo has going for it right now is prizing and everything has regressed heavily in the last few years.

Reboot the HCS with a competent staff with their next title.

Was this ran by MLG or MS ? Did MLG only have a budget that MS gave? I would need more answers before I could for sure know who is responsible for the poor looking venue.

Akai__

Yep, pople who are arguing Halo isn't relevant anymore need to take a look at Gears under MLGs reign

Gears is population wise not better than Halo 5 or sold much more, but if the events are well run they are succesful and people come to them.

It's so funny to me that this is what they have got for the most important tournament this Season. At the same time, they held the FUCKING EUROPEAN finals in WEMBLEY. In Wembley... A venue for > 60k viewers....

Who even is planing these things?

One can only hope that Halo going to Dreamhack next Season will mean a much much better organization and venue. It's a step in the right direction. Still need to get rid of casters like Simms, Gaskin and Goldenboy, though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It's so funny to me that this is what they have got for the most important tournament this Season. At the same time, they held the FUCKING EUROPEAN finals in WEMBLEY. In Wembley... A venue for > 60k viewers....

One can only hope that Halo going to Dreamhack next Season will mean a much much better organization and venue. It's a step in the right direction. Still need to get rid of casters like Simms, Gaskin and Goldenboy, though.

Saying it was at wembly, and 60k capacity is misleading though. Wasn't it in a Wembley stadium attached convention hall type of thing? Still, that's obviously an order of magnitude better than this...

I don't think Golden boy was a caster for season 2 proleague so maybe they already did

Unless I missed a day where he was a caster

CyReN

Saying it was at wembly, and 60k capacity is misleading though. Wasn't it in a Wembley stadium attached convention hall type of thing? Still, that's obviously an order of magnitude better than this...

Yep, it was in the hall or something.

5x2UXOr.jpg

I mean, god damn this is embarrassing.

343 have reduced Halo to an absolute joke.

How do their execs and people at MGS think this is okay? Who are running this fucking circus, a complete lack of ambition compared to other game development companies and E-sports organisations.

There was a whole summer in my high school days where every evening my friends and I would find someones garage to set up in and have 8+ player Halo 1 LAN parties until the sun came up. It's sad to see Halo's slow decline but its direction since 3 hasn't exactly been inspired.

Mahonay

Banned
There was a whole summer in my high school days where every evening my friends and I would find someones garage to set up in and have 8+ player Halo 1 LAN parties until the sun came up. It's sad to see Halo's slow decline but its direction since 3 hasn't exactly been inspired.
Yup, I'm right there with you man. I have the same memories and this stuff makes me sad.

messiaen

Everything costs, but costs is not the issue here. It's poor planning. Their were 4 qualifying venues leading up to the World Championships. 1 in St. Louis, 1 in Las Vegas, one at Wembly Stadium in London, and one in Mexico City. The first two were held by small tournament organizers. The second two held by gfinity. All of them were in much larger venues. All of them were at capacity.

This event look place at ESL Studios, because whatever venue plans ESL had fell through. Probably because they waited until the last minute. since signing with 343 ESL has been TERRIBLE when it comes to venues.

On several occasions ESL didn't start selling tickets until 2 weeks in advance. On one occasion, the event was held at a Korean-Pop Convention. This is just the latest in a string of ESL venue fuck ups.

Everyone is making this out to be an indictment of Halo's popularity or interest in Halo's competitive scene. Sure neither of those metrics are anywhere near the golden years. But there is much more interest in competitive Halo than these photos imply. ESL literally COULDN'T capaitalize in the interest because their venue couldnt facilitate it.
If that's the case then it certainly falls on the organizers, perhaps they're inexperienced and thought organizing an event is easy when it's actually very difficult and requires a lot of people to work in a pretty tight schedule with set-up, break down and production.

E92 M3

MICROSOFT: We're giving you our number one franchise, take care of it.

343: You got it, boss.

Halo_4_box_artwork.png

MICROSOFT: ....

343: We just formed, give us a chance to make things better!

MICROSOFT: No problem, here is a check. We love Halo here at Microsoft.

343:

250px-Halo_Collection.jpg

MICROSOFT: Wtf was that?

343: We had some technical difficulties, we'll get it patched!

*a year later*

MICROSOFT: It's still broken

343: Yeah, but we have Halo 5 and we will make esports great again!

MICROSOFT: Fair enough, here's more money.

343:

briUEud.png

Mandoric

Banned
If that's the case then it certainly falls on the organizers, perhaps they're inexperienced and thought organizing an event is easy when it's actually very difficult and requires a lot of people to work in a pretty tight schedule with set-up, break down and production.

Wikipedia said:
ESL is the world's largest esports company,[2] and the oldest professional esports organization that is still operational.[3]

How popular is Halo nowadays anyway? Do we know lifetime sales numbers for the mainline games?

Halo 5 sold fine, however I feel like people bought it because it's Halo. Just like people buy any other flagship title, out of expectations. 343 has really damaged a lot of goodwill and unless Halo 6 is a masterpiece, I doubt people will jump in blind.

Apathy

Twitch has some COD championship on this weekend and that thing has like the full on production value. Seeing this is kinda like "wtf MS, halo is suppose to be your big game"

Markoman

i read Rape sux, the R and P are differen

It's a "r". I mean "rape sux" would be completely out of context, right

What's even more funny...it looks like the guy wiped away something that he has written above Rare. You can vagely see an "I" and something that looks like a heart. OMG

Magwik

Banned
Man, Greenshill will defend 343i until he dies. Pros are really expressing their concern and he is the number one in the line of the defense force.

In terms of organization Halo (343i), ESL, Gfinity and all other organizators and all other partners, don't even come close to 2005-2010 MLG. And since then, MLG has grown by a very large margin. The SC2 tournaments were unreal, the COD tournaments are appareantly pretty good, the one Counter Strike tournament was an incredible success and they are also helping growing the Gears scene.

Seeing this in comparison of what we had back in the 2008 Halo 3 National Championship is just pure sadness.

I honestly think MLG wants nothing to do with MS after Halo 4. Shit tanked hard

Akai__

My bad and yeah, I agree.

I don't think Golden boy was a caster for season 2 proleague so maybe they already did

Unless I missed a day where he was a caster

He was casting the last LAN event which was Las Vegas, I believe.

How popular is Halo nowadays anyway? Do we know lifetime sales numbers for the mainline games?

Halo 5 did 5 Million in 3 months (according to a Stinkles post) putting it at ~70 Million total sales in the Halo franchise. Obviously missing all the other months and stuff like Halo Wars 2.

My bad and yeah, I agree.

He was casting the last LAN event which was Las Vegas, I believe.

Halo 5 did 5 Million in 3 months (according to a Stinkles post) putting it at ~70 Million total sales in the Halo franchise. Obviously missing all the other months and stuff like Halo Wars 2.

Happen to have a link to the post by Stinkles?

For comparison, here is the League of Legends "Battle Theater" that riot built a few short steps from their headquarters in Santa Monica, CA. Stunning.

eulcs-1400.png

I chuckle a little bit whenever I see HaloGaf insist that Bungie needs to double down on competitive and eSports like 343i did in Halo 5 for whatever Destiny's sequel is gonna be.

All this could be yours, Bungie!!!!

I would rejoice if 343 partners back with MLG for Halo 6 esports but it probably won't happen.

Well, MLG is owned by Activision who publishes Call of Duty, so, uhh... you can probably connect the dots there.

BizzyBum

Honestly, I'm a huge Halo fan and it sucks this is what it has come to, but I'm glad this thread is gaining traction and this event is making headlines so maybe 343 can wake the fuck up and ditch this dogshit league that is ESL.

I would rejoice if 343 partners back with MLG for Halo 6 esports but it probably won't happen.

belushy

Banned
I chuckle a little bit whenever I see HaloGaf insist that Bungie needs to double down on competitive and eSports like 343i did in Halo 5 for whatever Destiny's sequel is gonna be.

All this could be yours, Bungie!!!!

Well, MLG is owned by Activision who publishes Call of Duty, so, uhh... you can probably connect the dots there.

Gears is owned by Microsoft and has their scene run by mlg. No issues.

Just a quick aside - their prize pool is actually down from last year. It was $2,600,000 last year, down to a $1,000,000 this year. And I think they struggled to get over 20k viewers on twitch all weekend, which is a travesty for the world championship of a game as big as Halo.

spootime

It doesn't help when the halo fans are toxic as all hell to change. The series could still be great if it was allowed to evolve into being fun again, but to be fun in modern times. It still plays like a fps from 2004.
Halo is a great series but it's a dated series

Yeah, the only way to make old FPS games popular is to "evolve" them. game that hasnt changed since 2004 for comparison:

20841897762_08d888fc2b_kaaaaaaaa.jpg

Top Bottom