• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

Wow at the salt. Yeah, system wars is alive and well alright. Already got people fuming posting heartfelt angry nonsense. The "This means nothing!" and the "But Smartphones!" has already started. Lol.

People only preorder them to scalp so it's really all fake demand and means nothing. Your face will be red when they pick up their preorders and the bottom falls out because there's no real demand for the scalpers to sell to... :p

omonimo

Banned
Except it really doesn't wtf? Nintendo was just as good to gamers during Wii as it was during gamecube.

Good to gamers give them a dated console?:/ I was a nintendo fan until n64. Why specs not counts for the nintendo fan now after n64? Specs are became useless on the nintendo fan mind just because nintendo said that, To me sound completely crazy. A company have to satisfy the interest not dictate, it's not a religion.

Haunted

Apple isnt making a console, they make tablets.
Nintendo has to make the tablets as well as a functional game system. You know what happened when Apple tried a game system? THE PIPPIN.
Are you saying Apple couldn't produce 3 million pippins and have them available on day one?

I actually like the way the controller looks I'd love to try it out I just don't want Sony/Microsoft to spend all their time copying it just because it sells well. I don't blame Nintendo for trying new hardware experiences but I do dislike them overpricing old hardware (not touch screen stuff I mean video card ram etc.).

I play primarily on PC now so it doesn't bother me much anymore but if I was a console-only gamer it would be annoying because it holds the industry back. If old overpriced tech sells a lot than Sony may stop making megatron consoles and do what Nintendo does which would be sad.

Mass Effect/Bioware
Splinter Cell
Socom
Resident Evil/Capcom
Dead Space/"Survival" Horror games in general or lack there of.
Insomniac (maybe?)
Watch all the E3's since 2008/2009
ESPN, central media hub BS and Microsoft using it to justify Live price hikes.
Everything shifting to shooter-central, less resources spent on platformers RPGs etc.

I'm sure I could think of more but I'm too lazy right now.
Ya, every single game this gen has been a shooter, can you fit anymore memes into your posts?

cajunator

Banned
Are you saying Apple couldn't produce 3 million pippins and have them available on day one?

No console manufacturer has ever had 3 million units available day one. It isnt realistic.

Goddamn it, now Console discussion has to include apple fans too. Im out of this thread.

Good to gamers give them a dated console?:/ I was a nintendo fan until n64. Why specs not counts for the nintendo fan now after n64? Specs are became useless on the nintendo fan mind just because nintendo said that, To me sound completely crazy. A company have to satisfy the interest not dictate, it's not a religion.

Wel will see how "dated" it really is soon enough.

Game & Watch :)

Ha forgot about that. Good call :)

Daschysta

Specs aren't completely unimportant, but they are less important than the games. I could take or leave specs, they are nice, but not in need of being bleeding edge. Wii-U will have plenty of beautiful games, we are also reaching a period of diminishing returns.

They still published amazing games in all the franchises I love to play, why would I be so shallow as to abandon them over something so stupid as HD graphics? Follow the games not the tech. If Nintendo stopped making good games that is when I would abandon them. Games satisfy the interest, not the tech. It shouldn't sound crazy, it is completely consistent. Most Nintendo fans go where the games go.

orioto

Good Art™
Orioto, how do you think Sony and MS can manage to release a GamePad like controller and a high end PC, at an affordable price? Selling with a $200 loss could do it, but do you think they'll go this way?

I would see Microsoft loosing money on the console. Cause they can afford it (while Sony...) and it worked perfectly for them this gen. No reason to change. Why not use your strength...

And besides, nobody talked about something huge like Nintendo. I could totally see a smaller screen in a dual shock for exemple, which wouldn't be a killer display but would allow tactile interfaces and assymetric informations at least.

Diablos54

Yeah, but they didn't really "bet" on it, though, since it was unannounced and unreleased due to cost. It was mostly just experiments (though I would have loved to have seen their 3D version of Luigi's Mansion).
Well yea, I just wanted to point out that it was a point of interest for them at that time as well. Especially since they tend to do 'test' before they commit (GameBoy to GC link becomes Wii U and VB 3D becomes 3DS).

omonimo

Banned
Wel will see how "dated" it really is soon enough.

Of course, if you coming to wii you'll see a new universe. But from 360/ps3 the differences will be barely noticeable. & when next generation coming out, well... anyway I continue to not understand what of extraordinary has a sold ouf of a preorder.

Orayn

How did you feel about the PS2? It was quite dated compared to the Gamecube and Xbox, but there were still some great games released for it. I'd think you'd be upset! This also means you're not allowed to like Shadow of the Colossus or God of War 2, by the way, since those came out on dated hardware after the next generation had already started.

Of course, if you coming to wii you'll see a new universe. But from 360/ps3 the differences will be barely noticeable. & when next generation coming out, well... anyway I continue to not understand what of extraordinary has a sold ouf of a preorder.

More often than not, the PS3/360 difference is barely noticeable on PC because those are still the lead platforms. That doesn't mean PC is "barely" more powerful than those consoles.

ElRenoRaven

Well 10 mins on hold with the gamestop reminded me of why I refuse to shop there. Guess I'll just go to a midnight launch at Wal-Mart.

BlackJace

Only reason I'm not getting a Wii U at launch is because I'm going to be deployed (just like I was when the Wii launched).

Maybe if I get lucky, my wife will pick one up and it'll be waiting for me.

Late reply, but good luck, and I appreciate the work you're doing for your country.

This is great news, the system looks solid. And Nintendo has done a great job by securing Beyonetta 2 instead of more casual bullshit games they made on Wii.

omonimo

Banned
How did you feel about the PS2? It was quite dated compared to the Gamecube and Xbox, but there were still some great games released for it. This also means you're not allowed to like Shadow of the Colossus or God of War 2, by the way, since those came out on dated hardware after the next generation had already started.

More often than not, the PS3/360 difference is barely noticeable on PC because those are still the lead platforms. That doesn't mean PC is "barely" more powerful than those consoles.

Absolutely no. With a good pc, ps3/360 game appears ridicolous ancients in the comparison. I have in mind crysis 2.

BowieZ

Banned
Some of you guys are getting "invention" confused with "innovation," and arguing over semantics in the process.

Orayn

Absolutely no. With a good pc, ps3/360 game appears ridicolous ancients in the comparison. I have in mind crysis 2.

Which is why I said "more often than not." There are games that stand out, like Crysis, The Witcher 2, and Battlefield 3, but the differences aren't very dramatic at all for most multiplats.

omonimo

Banned
Which is why I said "more often than not." There are games that stand out, like Crysis, The Witcher 2, and Battlefield 3, but the differences aren't very dramatic at all for most multiplats.

The problem is another; will third parties care about multiplats on the wiiU & will support the new controller function? I predict waves of casual touch screen game than multiplat porting, if wiiU will penetrate the casual market.

Thats not what i mean. Look at xbox 360 games 2005 and now how it progressed up to now

Wii U easily smokes those 1st year titles handily

And please don´t give me the "devs had to get used to hd dev" bullshit excuse because PC got gaming way beyond 640x480 far before 2005. (1280x1024 was pretty common long before the "hd" term was popular)

If Wii U starts where this gen ends it will smoke anything we se now in the future.

And yes i know Xbox 720/PS4 will outperform Wii U but IMO the difference wont be as drastic as people on here want it to be.

And remember... MY OPINION

test_account

XP-39C²
Good news indeed. I really wish that we knew how many pre-orders we're talking about however. The first thing i thought about was actually that PS3 sold-out potato comic strip hehe (anyone have a link to this by the way?), but good news anyway :)

How did you feel about the PS2? It was quite dated compared to the Gamecube and Xbox, but there were still some great games released for it. I'd think you'd be upset! This also means you're not allowed to like Shadow of the Colossus or God of War 2, by the way, since those came out on dated hardware after the next generation had already started.
The PS2 was already a good step up from what people were used to. WiiU so far feels like PS3/Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, i guess that is what he means. I'm sure there will be much better looking WiiU games as time goes by though.

The PS2 was already a good step up from what people were used to. WiiU so far feels like PS3/Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, i guess that is what he means. I'm sure there will be much better looking WiiU games as time goes by though.

Wich could easily be a reault of no resolution change from hd twins to Wii U

Neo C.

Shit, I kinda hoped for less demand, especially for the pricy deluxe version. I didn't intend to preorder one, but now it looks like I have to go to my shop of choice pretty soon. :(

I would see Microsoft loosing money on the console. Cause they can afford it (while Sony...) and it worked perfectly for them this gen. No reason to change. Why not use your strength...
It depends on how much they intend to lose money though, because - in the end - it's ARITHMETIC (unless they intend to end next gen with a loss).

And besides, nobody talked about something huge like Nintendo. I could totally see a smaller screen in a dual shock for exemple, which wouldn't be a killer display but would allow tactile interfaces and assymetric informations at least.
Nintendo is actually already very conservative with the screen. If anything, Microsoft would put a more sophisticated screen on a probably higher resolution, which would cost more.

So, what to do... I want a Wii U, but I'd rather not settle for the 8GB model. Should I just bite the bullet and preorder that one while I still can? Or look for another option for the Deluxe? Decisions, decisions

Downhome

So, what to do... I want a Wii U, but I'd rather not settle for the 8GB model. Should I just bite the bullet and preorder that one while I still can? Or look for another option for the Deluxe? Decisions, decisions

You can still preorder it at Toys R Us right now...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=15439636

They are notorious for taking too many preorders for limited items like this though, so I'd put one in there just in case but continue to look and if you find it elsewhere cancel the TRU order and order at the other place. They are at least limiting it to just 1 per order though, so maybe they have learned from the past.

Right now that's the only option for the 32GB unless Best Buy is still taking preorders in store.

I can't believe people have been, and still are, doubting the Wii U. Will people never learn? I'm also shocked people are trying to mock Nintendo saying they never innovate and what they do is never anything new. Come on, seriously. They may be 1 or 1.5 generations behind in terms of graphical power, but they long ago left that as a secondary concern, and if you ask me lots of great things have happened as a result of it.

I guess some people will just always refuse to give Nintendo the credit they deserve, even after their history even after all these years.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wich could easily be a reault of no resolution change from hd twins to Wii U
I dont think that this is that big of a factor this time around. Many people dont see the difference between 720p and 1080p for example. I also expect many PS4/Xbox 720 games to run in 720p, but still look much better than what we saw on PS3/Xbox 360.

How did the wii compare graphically to the 360/ps3 and how did it compare graphically to the GameCube/Xbox? How many wii consoles were sold?

I rest my case.

What does this part mean? You're saying you don't know how being sold out is extraordinary or something else?

Top Bottom