• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

RagnarokX

The supply constraint stuff is getting old.
Do people even have any concept of logistics and manufacturing? Nintendo cannot just manifest consoles out of thin air. they have to first ramp up production, test the consoles for defects, distribute them to warehouses, then ship them to retailers. This stuff takes time and planning. They cannot just rush 3 million units out the door day one.

People think Nintendo manufactured shortages of Wii to increase demand. Yeah, it became the fastest selling console of all time and sold 100 million units by shipping less. That makes perfect sense.

Does anyone have any idea on when the Wii U will come out in Latin America? Some of my wife's family lives down there and so far there is no information on a release date.....

Manufacturing a shortage of a video game console is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard namely because Nintendo makes the most money off of software which can't be sold to people who haven't bought their system. Wii had unprecedented demand that would have caused shortages for anyone besides like Apple (who also has shortages).

evangd007

Bad thing for the industry if this sells well, but it is what it is.

Prepare for E3 2014,2015,2016 to be touch screen controller bs as Sony/Microsoft tries to play catch up like they did for motion controls which most people despised.

You see the last NPD? The industry, at least in the retail space, needs a shot in the arm right now.

Manufacturing a shortage of a video game console is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard namely because Nintendo makes the most money off of software which can't be sold to people who haven't bought their system. Wii had unprecedented demand that would have caused shortages for anyone besides like Apple (who also has shortages).

It's 2006 all over again. And with some of the same posters too I think!

As you say, it doesn't make sense to create an artificial shortage. Moreover, we have mountains of decisive evidence that proves Nintendo wasn't doing this with the Wii. Yet, despite being refuted a billion billion times, it has somehow become a Nintendo MO.

Yeah, creating a 'fake' shortage is nothing short of stupid. Nintendo really needs to make sure 2006 doesn't happen again. And I suspect they have worries it could due to the production problems we've heard of.

Prepare for E3 2014,2015,2016 to be touch screen controller bs as Sony/Microsoft tries to play catch up like they did for motion controls which most people despised.

Doesn't Microsoft already have SmartGlass to use to persuade consumers into thinking it's the same as the Wii U Gamepad? The average consumer may not know.

I'm also not so sure if they will be quick to copy the second screen option, look what happened with the DS/3DS, no one copied them as far as I know....

Based on the price of the gamepad am doubting this move; without some seriously reduced specs to what people expect. I do think a WiiU with more CPU allowing more Pads at once would be brilliant, but the prices will need a full gen to be reasonable.

Also its not bad for the industry if this is what customers want. Its just bad for you.
Still WiiU allows non-touch control anyway.

somedevil

Preordered the White version from target.com. Don't need the extra memory because I already have 500GB external hardrive at home.

Codeblue

I was somehow able to put in an order at K-Mart just now despite it not letting me earlier. You can get a free trial of their version of Prime which puts 2 day delivery at $.99. Hope that helps someone avoid TRU.

As bad as the industry has been doing there is no way any console selling would be bad for the industry. Actually even if its not implemented like on Wii U touchscreens coming to consoles is just a natural progression of the last decade of technology.

Kouriozan

Surely, Sony and Microsoft will soon announce "officially" their next gen, to say "Oh wait, don't buy Wii U, our next gen is coming!"
But "selling out" of pre-order only in one day is incredible, Wii U launch will be interesting to watch.

How did the wii compare graphically to the 360/ps3 and how did it compare graphically to the GameCube/Xbox? How many wii consoles were sold?

I rest my case.

I don't see how that matters. The Wii sold like that because even grannies wanted to get a taste of the motion controls. How many people are really going to storm stores because they have a tablet controller?

Just walked into my local futureshop and pre-ordered the deluxe version. Only 13th in line too, looks pretty guaranteed. Same place got 56 wiis back in the day in ADDITION to preorders.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm never quite sure where to place you on the scale of 1-to-Wario.

I mean everything I say even when it's crazy.

I don't think calling out Nintendo on creating artificial scarcity is crazy though, and I don't think pre ordering 6 wii Us and different places to Ebay them is crazy either.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I dont think it's "on Purpose" I just think Nintendo knows we can ship 1 Million units in NA by holiday or something and they allocate those for US only so it sells out.

they have Japan and Europe to focus on as well and only some many plants to produce them from.

Fou-Lu

Unless you really want black I would get the basic bundle. Save the extra money for a better game and an external hard drive.

It's only $50 more, and you get the points program in addition to the mehness of Nintendoland and the stands. Plus I want as much internal storage as I can have, it'll be much faster than an external drive. I see absolutely no reason to ever get the basic bundle.

It's only $50 more, and you get the points program in addition to the mehness of Nintendoland and the stands. Plus I want as much internal storage as I can have, it'll be much faster than an external drive. I see absolutely no reason to ever get the basic bundle.

That's a misconception. The internal flash storage is likely just a soldered on SD card, not highspeed flash + a beefy SSD controller. The way things are shaping up, all drives are going to be about the same speed sans access time, which will be the same for any other flash based device (SD or USB flash drive)

Malvingt2

where is the best place to pre order the Deluxe right now? Target and Sears are giving me trouble. Toys R Us is not carrying Zombi U so meh screw them lol... Kmart is my only option right now?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
where is the best place to pre order the Deluxe right now? Target and Sears are giving me trouble. Toys R Us is not carrying Zombi U so meh screw them lol... Kmart is my only option right now?

kmart and sears are the same retailer so if you're having trouble at one...

Fox Mulder

Surely, Sony and Microsoft will soon announce "officially" their next gen, to say "Oh wait, don't buy Wii U, our next gen is coming!"
But "selling out" of pre-order only in one day is incredible, Wii U launch will be interesting to watch.

MS and Sony won't say shit if the rumors about a 2014 launch are true. The best they can do is drop the prices on their consoles and hype holiday releases.

I don't see how that matters. The Wii sold like that because even grannies wanted to get a taste of the motion controls. How many people are really going to storm stores because they have a tablet controller?

It matters because of the exact point you just made. The graphics on the Wii were nothing compared to the ps360 but everyone even grannies still wanted one. Not one person said "I want a Wii because of the wonderful graphics it can produce". Why would it be any different this time around with the Wii U? Who cares if it's not a "full generation" leap in graphics when being compared to the ps360? I know a select few people do but, once again, look at the Wii. 100 million people at one point decided to get a Wii and their decision had nothing to do with the system specs.

As bad as the industry has been doing there is no way any console selling would be bad for the industry. Actually even if its not implemented like on Wii U touchscreens coming to consoles is just a natural progression of the last decade of technology.

But... but... if I post my bias on the Internet enough times it'll become true!! For everyone!!!

Medalion

Banned
This morning I went to a further away Electronics Boutique (EB Store) in Victoria, Canada... I got my deluxe Wii-U preordered with the $50 down payment

I asked the clerk working there if there had been previous reservations for the Wii-U

She said I was the first since its announcement

Either the thing is not that popular yet or people are choosing to preorder via different places and methods

Probably the latter more likely

Necrovex

The sad reality of being a college student means I don't have the funds to pre-order a Wii U. :-(

Life will be richer when I don't have to rely on the school paying for everything.

The sad reality of being a college student means I don't have the funds to pre-order a Wii U. :-(

Life will be richer when I don't have to rely on the school paying for everything.

I used my monthly student lab check to pay for the Wii. Was enough to get the Wii and one game, Zelda: Twilight Princess at the time

This % off for the future points program sounds scammy, like when they try to sell you extra warranties at the register. If I bought the $350 I'd basically be lighting fire to 50 bucks because Nintendoland looks really bad. The $300 SKU is the one to get imo. You can spend that 50 bucks on a much better game and all you really lose out on is internal storage which you can upgrade later on anyway for really cheap. This isn't a 360 tard pack situation, the $300 sku is good.

Top Bottom