• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

No offense, but why do you need this day and date?

There are so many good games out right now or coming out. How can you even want this on your backlog?

Day and date is one thing. A repeat of the Wii that lasted for six freakin' months is something else entirely.

That game doesn't mean shit to me either but you could possibly trade it in. Even if you couldn't that system is the only that comes with the bonus point thing they have for digital purchases. That could come in handy in the long run.

That's my main reason for wanting it, especially nowadays where I'm buying games digitally much more than physical. I think it's really a nice bonus.

Uh-oh. I was around for the whole "you can waltz into Best Buy and pick up a Wii on the way back from work" era. That did not go as planned.

I thought I could just waltz in and pick up a Wii U this time as well. Fingers crossed.

Boogiepop

Gah, crap! Wasn't able to get out yet to get mine in. Guess I'll have to try to find a place that'll still put in a preorder tomorrow. Any idea where I should be looking?

TriGen

As far as people being confident they can get one on launch day, I understand that because personally if you've always had success getting a console day one than you assume you always will. I have never pre-ordered a console on day one and yet I've never had an issue getting one.

For the Wii all I had to do was stand in a line outside Target for a couple of hours, and with the 360 (got 3 one for myself and the others for my brothers) all I had to do was go to a Kmart where I was maybe behind 5 people. And those were the most difficult, all the other consoles I've ever owned (every home console from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft) I didn't even have to wait in-line. Yet I hear the horror stories and I don't want to have one of my own, so I pre-ordered the Wii U, like I plan on doing for all my consoles from now on, no more being cocky.

IceIpor

While I agree the news post is mostly a PR piece to create hype, I don't really think there is a chance the Wii U will not be sold out at launch.

Given it's also going to be the holiday season, and they only started producing units at Foxconn from what I read, getting a Wii U at launch is going to be a grim task for the latecomers.

majik13

luckily I was first to pre order at the GS around the corner. Around 10:10 . The guy said, after I pre ordered, that like Wii they are told quantities will be very limited, and he expected pre ordered will be filled by the end of the week

Because we remember the Wii launch.

I remember the Wii launch too. Wii preorders were impossible to find within an hour of when they became available. People lined up at Gamestops the day preorders became available. You had no option but to camp out at the store the day before or hope that you found an opening online in time.

I truly do not care. I wanted to get mine from Amazon but they aren't caring it. Fucking sales tax sucks ass. LOL

Hopefully they will have them on base at the Navy Exchange.

remember fellas. the Wii was coming off the GC.

the Wii U is coming off the Wii.

the amount of people looking for the direct sucessor of their console is way bigger this time around.

i just hope i can waltz into a store on launch day and score a unit like with the GC and Wii back in their days. console launches are usually quiet in my country.

Indeed. The PS3 was selling like crazy for about 3 weeks after its launch. Some bloke even managed to re-sell his for $2500 or something during that time.

TriGen

LOL, let me edit my post to be more clear...yes I do have a reciept. I traded in some games and my Wii for the deluxe Wii U and SMBU. My question still is valid though. Even with a reciept they could call and say they over booked on pre orders and that I am now on a waiting list past the official release date. Or are my worries valid?

I think you're okay. I've had people tell me they were turned away and told they couldn't allow anymore pre-orders right now. My guess is if they took your money on Friday you're fine.

Drago

I preordered the Basic Set from my GS tonight, they said I was the first one to preorder the basic set.

If I don't get it and they skip me for other preorders, I will be so pissed. Not that it's likely as I'll probably lineup at midnight, but still! :p

As far as people being confident they can get one on launch day, I understand that because personally if you've always had success getting a console day one than you assume you always will. I have never pre-ordered a console on day one and yet I've never had an issue getting one.

For the Wii all I had to do was stand in a line outside Target for a couple of hours, and with the 360 (got 3 one for myself and the others for my brothers) all I had to do was go to a Kmart where I was maybe behind 5 people. And those were the most difficult, all the other consoles I've ever owned (every home console from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft) I didn't even have to wait in-line. Yet I hear the horror stories and I don't want to have one of my own, so I pre-ordered the Wii U, like I plan on doing for all my consoles from now on, no more being cocky.

Millions of people are not going to be able to stand outside a line at Target at midnight when the Wii U launches and snag one. There's going to be many, many out of luck

I remember the Wii launch too. Wii preorders were impossible to find within an hour of when they became available. People lined up at Gamestops the day preorders became available. You had no option but to camp out at the store the day before or hope that you found an opening online in time.

Exactly. And when Nintendo drop more bombs and some people FINALLY are convinced that they want a Wii U, you not gonna be able to find one lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
WiiU was going to sale gangbusters this holiday ever since it was announced. It will most likely be tough to find at launch, and even tougher to find during Black Friday and after. They literally just started producing the systems, and it's the successor to one of the most popular consoles of all-time (and doesn't have a gigantic fuck-up tied to it like $599 PS3). It's after the holidays that is going to matter.

Btw, I would guess that pre-orders will reopen whenever the actual advertisement campaign starts along with when they get a handle on how many WiiUs they will actually have to stock.

TriGen

Millions of people are not going to be able to stand outside a line at Target at midnight when the Wii U launches and snag one. There's going to be many, many out of luck

Exactly. That's why I said I pre-ordered one and I recommend everyone that wants one does the same. My point was that certain people that are being cocky probaly live in certain areas and have never had trouble, those are the people going "lol, pre-orders" and I understand why they would feel that way, but it's not worth risking if you want one.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm torn which color system to get. I like the controller better in white, the console in black... but I also want the extra storage and Nintendoland.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

The Wii pre-order date was rumored/announced a full week beforehand, and was on a Friday. WiiU pre-orders opened up right after Nintendo's Tuesday press conference, with no real warning. These are two totally different situations.

bill0527

Well my anecdotal experience is just the opposite.

I've had to stand in line, sometimes overnight, for every single console launch since PS2.

I actually had to camp out at Target for 12 hours to get a Xbox 360. And it was dumb luck that I even got a secure place in line to get one. I went to Target at 8:30pm to get some Draino because we had a clogged sink and the line had already started forming for launch the very next morning. I ran the Draino home real quick, handed it off to my wife, grabbed heavy coat, blankets, and a lawn chair and had to camp out on the sidewalk. I was number 12th in line and they only got 14 systems.

I preordered the sexy looking deluxe bundle from Best Buy. Didn't want to deal with Gamestop in the least. I also preordered NSMBU.

I'll decide on other games when I pick the system up. Cannot wait! :D

Holy Wars

Banned
That game doesn't mean shit to me either but you could possibly trade it in. Even if you couldn't that system is the only that comes with the bonus point thing they have for digital purchases. That could come in handy in the long run.

The way it was described to me you basically earn back credit you can only use after a certain threshold. I dunno. I don't think I'll be buying retail games digitally on Wii U, seeing as they'll be at least 25% more than shops in the UK, so it doesn't benefit me much.

Did you think that back when the Wii came out too? Because there wasn't 500000000000000000 in stores. There was 00000000000000000 in stores. For a year.

Actually it was more like 2-3 years without consoles sitting on shelves if I remember correctly.

That probably won't be the case here but....

I honestly don't remember the Pre-Order period for other consoles; is it normal for the console to sell out at this time? I'm just surprised because I didn't think that many people paid attention to the presentation and news articles. I would have expected more awareness once Nintendo actually began advertising Wii U.

Perhaps I should have pre-ordered when I had the chance.

Darryl

Banned
If the thread about preorders is true and that most stores don't accept more than 20 preorders for both models combined, the fact that it still hasn't sold through on both models yet is a sign that stock shouldn't be an issue at launch. What's the deal with all the hyperventilating about availability in this thread?

where you see "only 20 preorders sold per store", other people see "almost sold out". this system is still over 2 months away and it's only been available for a bit over a day.

IceIpor

I'm torn which color system to get. I like the controller better in white, the console in black... but I also want the extra storage and Nintendoland.

Buy the black one, paint it white.

... Or trade someone your black tablet for a white one.

(Not entirely serious.)

Owzers

Best Buy and Target are still taking pre-orders on both models. Better pre-order while you still can.

just to be safe i put in a pre-order at BB, but i don't think it's likely that i'll want a Wii U when it comes out since i have a ps3/360/wii and watched wii die as the other two are still getting great games.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Has it been confirmed if any pad will sync up with any system? Maybey I can talk a white console buyer into switching his or her white gamepad for my black.

antonz

How the fuck do you run out of stock like in two days? Seriously, they better be printing those systems out non stop.

Production is just starting over at Foxconn and IBM probably just shipped out the first batch of CPUs within last week or two. Things are following the exact timeframe of the Wii.

IBM shipped CPUs like the first week of September and the week after Nintendo held their conference and production rolled

The Manager at my Gamestop told me that they planned to sell out quickly. He told me that if I knew anyone that wanted it that they better get in before they closed (this was Thursday) because he thought they would be sold out some time Friday. Guess he was correct, atleast on the Deluxe which means the basic won't be far behind it.

Glad I got mine in.... :)

I have a deluxe ordered online through GameStop, and the basic on ordered through Best Buy since I'm not sure which one I'd want. Probably leaning towards the basic because I don't care about the color and Nintendoland doesn't interest me at all.

Eusis

It kills non-Nintendo portables
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony would've drove straight into a ditch anyway. And they're one of the more successful competitors with Nintendo, even the Vita probably outperformed everything but the Game Gear, and I half expect to find out it sold faster than that too.

NoA send your AMAZON stock to GS
3AQmK.gif

If I don't get a pre-order I'll just go down to Nintendo World in NYC those guys will be stocked

Top Bottom