• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gearbox is leaving Embracer

Draugoth

Gold Member
9317640f569b300b1c8ed8b26ffdff1a.jpg

Embracer bought Borderlands maker Gearbox Entertainment for $1.3 billion back in early 2021 amid an unprecedented acquisition spree that’s since turned into a financial disaster. Now, just three years later, Kotaku has learned that Gearbox is closer than ever to being sold out from under what is arguably the most hated company in gaming.

Last edited:
I’ve always enjoyed the Borderlands games. The writing is terrible, but there’s just something about a fps looter shooter that really scratches an itch for me.

On the other hand I can never forgive the terrible abortion of Colonial Marines, a game that should’ve been fuckin amazing but ended up shitting the bed.

i began & ended the series with borderlands 2. each of the half-dozen times i've tried to get into the other games, i always end up bailing within a dozen or so hours. the series's like a joke that just goes on'n'on, & isn't really all that funny to start with...

Rockman33

What games has embraced even published since their crazy buying spree? I feel like most studios they bought and never even put out a game.

Perrott

Gold Member
watch eraser group let them go and they keep the borderlands IP
Borderlands is half-owned by 2K, who also have exclusive publishing rights to the series by contract, and Borderlands is nothing without Gearbox. There's no use for Embracer in retaining 50% of the IPs ownership if they can't do anything with it.

That half of Borderlands will go with Gearbox so that they could sell them for more money.

Last edited:

SHA

I’ve always enjoyed the Borderlands games. The writing is terrible, but there’s just something about a fps looter shooter that really scratches an itch for me.

On the other hand I can never forgive the terrible abortion of Colonial Marines, a game that should’ve been fuckin amazing but ended up shitting the bed.
The game is literally a splitted head, the 3drealms/gearbox side and the other unpleasant side, we know who causes trouble since the beginning.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Absolutely! Borderlands is just so satisfying to me. It’s like a series I can shoot people in the face and still feel relaxed about it unlike most fps for me.

StueyDuck

Lol I mean... whose buying them? Gotta be Chinese right like tencent?

None of the others are in a position to really be buying gearbox right now (and I wouldn't want them to either, fuck consolidation)

A.Romero

Embracer imploding isn't good for the industry and people celebrating, why?

Because there is this weird fantasy where publishers can buy development studios without their agreement and it seems to some people that Embracer only did it to burn money because of reasons.

Somehow the concept of studios being usually in so much financial stress that a buy out is an attractive idea seems to be in conflict with the idealization of the developers being saints and don't care about money.

If only they realized that a lot of this studios would have closed much sooner than they are if they didn't get Embracer's cash...

StueyDuck

Tencent or Epic/Tencent loading up.
Honestly I don't see who else 🤷‍♂️, they aren't a cheap company to buy.

MS would be moronic to do so right now, Sony is kind of in the shitter and Nintendo I don't really see having much use for them.

Not a chance T2 take them back with all of Randy's shenanigans and that really doesn't leave much else. WB is kinda fucked, 505 just got hit with layoffs.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out

Paltheos

Everyone talking about Borderlands and Homeworld, but my most anticipated title from Gearbox is the second Risk of Rain 2 DLC pack (well, the second paid one anyway). It's my most anticipated content of the year, and I know what that means - I can think of a handful of other games I'm excited about this year. Risk of Rain's just too good, man. Please be safe, Gearbox~

YCoCg

How were those idiots allowed to buy so many studios?
They literally put all of their eggs into one basket, they bought up everything on the cheap with the intent of getting a $2 Billion fund from the Saudi's where they were going to put all the studios to work, ...but that deal fell through and suddenly there's a massive debt they have to solve.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see what price they get.

Believe it or not, Embracer did ok all things considered with Saber. They bought it during covid for $525M and somehow lucked out selling it off for $500M.

Gearbox was insane. $1.3B for a company skewed to Borderlands games with the rest of their recent games being forgettable. Amazing how this is somehow worth buying for $1.3B.

Futaleufu

Embracer is "the most hated company in gaming" ???

I dont understand the Embracer hate. They bought a lot of IPs that were never going to get a second chance from the usual publishers. Its a pity it didnt work at the end.

ByWatterson

So....

I don't think we're living through a big crash. Instead, it's pretty clear VC-fueled consolidation was built on pie-in-the-sky projections that never would or could come to pass.

And now we're seeing deconsolidation in the form of layoffs, selloffs, and closures.

I bet industry looks healthy in three years.

Fabieter

Because there is this weird fantasy where publishers can buy development studios without their agreement and it seems to some people that Embracer only did it to burn money because of reasons.

Somehow the concept of studios being usually in so much financial stress that a buy out is an attractive idea seems to be in conflict with the idealization of the developers being saints and don't care about money.

If only they realized that a lot of this studios would have closed much sooner than they are if they didn't get Embracer's cash...

Also imagine the non Asian aa market in the last decade besides embracer. They just played a high risk card and lost. It happens but thought they were interesting, financially and gamewise.

Top Bottom