• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Since no AC this year, do you think there's a chance that they'll release an AC collection instead?
I haven't played Rogue and it's $8 on Amazon right now so I'm tempted but don't want to if it'll be on next gen consoles eventually.
They recently registered a domain for an ACcollection. So that and the movie seem to be what they're using to fill in the gap. Or they might produce another game in 10 months like Revelations. ._.

As someone who's been mostly positive on this series for the past 5-6 years, hearing there won't be a new one this year only makes me feel relieved.

Agreed. I'm a fan of the series, but I seriously think Ubi needs to chill and give the franchise time to breathe. So releasing every other year is probably a good idea. Hopefully this is something they plan on sticking with.

Pachimari

I do still hope for an Asian setting one day, maybe they could do the Phillipines/
Instant favorite poster. I would love this, it's actually the location I hope most for. Japan is cool too.

Voting for Philippines in Assassin's Creed.

Why do some people want Rome? Wasn't it done in Revelations? Or was it Brotherhood?

Instant favorite poster. I would love this, it's actually the location I hope most for. Japan is cool too.

Why do some people want Rome? Wasn't it done in Revelations? Or was it Brotherhood?

Renaissance Rome is really different compared to Ancient Rome, to be fair.

AGITΩ

I really hope its more Old-Late Kingdom timeframe for the Setting of Egypt and not Roman-Middle Ages Egypt.
It's gotten stale of AC Mainline games that keep moving closer and closer to the present when I felt the overarching story line implied trying to go further back to Eden where it all began.

DarkFlame

Banned
1. Finally,no annual release

2.Egypt is an excellent setting for AC,i hope they really invest into this

BUT,it's still Ubisoft.Meaning i can't really get hyped for this,untill i read some well rounded reviews about it

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
AGITΩ;191368356 said:
I really hope its more Old-Late Kingdom timeframe for the Setting of Egypt and not Roman-Middle Ages Egypt.
It's gotten stale of AC Mainline games that keep moving closer and closer to the present when I felt the overarching story line implied trying to go further back to Eden where it all began.
The Garden of Eden in the AC timeline is very futuristic.
nBy58l2.png

They talked about going back incredibly far back in AC3, so it may happen at some point.

Brotherhood (and the end of AC2) was Rome. Revelations was Constantinople/Istanbul.

I know almost nothing about Philippines' history around the time most AC series are set. What would the allure be? It'd be mostly tribal polynesian up until it was colonised, right?

As a fan of the series I'm really hoping it's really a revamp. I played and beaten all the main AC games but kind of stopped exploring the world outside of the main mission since Black Flag. Got a bit stale. Hope we get an official confirmation for E3 2016.

Chabbles

Nice. I've been waiting on an ancient eqypt game since forever, them pyramids. I hope they go bat shit crazy with the story. one word, aliens. Big fucking aliens, or mummys..... mummies. Mummies just fit the whole eqypt thing better.. You know theres going to be prop mummies laying around tombs and that anyway, but will there be a drug induced dream where you fight mummies ? there could be.

Das Ace

The only people that would have been in Egypt living at that time would have been the big bro up there.
I await the nonsense like Gods and Kings.

'Ancient Egypt' is a vague term for a setting, but I'm going to assume it's pre-Hellenistic. In that period pretty much everyone in that shot has some probable historical basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_history_of_Egypt#Ancient_DNA

Besides, the difference between light brown, brown, and black people probably meant a lot less to them then it did to modern people.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
'Ancient Egypt' is a vague term for a setting, but I'm going to assume it's pre-Hellenistic. In that period pretty much everyone in that shot has some probable historical basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_history_of_Egypt#Ancient_DNA

Besides, the difference between light brown, brown, and black people probably meant a lot less to them then it did to modern people.

I really don't understand why non-Egyptians think that us modern day Egyptians are somehow unrelated to the peoples of ancient Egypt. For the most part genetically we're the same people.

Syndicate made a few journos top ten lists for 2015...was it legitimately a good game?

As someone that hated Unity and was ready to swear off the series forever, I really enjoyed Syndicate. It felt like it was made for the AC fan that was sick of the series' shit.

I got a little fatigued of it by the end (and the way the story kind of pushes Evie aside), but I liked it overall. After Unity, I never expected to say that about an AC game again.

CrazyDude

I really don't understand why non-Egyptians think that us modern day Egyptians are somehow unrelated to the peoples of ancient Egypt. For the most part genetically we're the same people.

I have heard that the Arab invasions made Egypt whiter.

Egypt has always been a mishmash of different people.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I have heard that the Arab invasions made Egypt whiter.

The Arabs arrived with their armies and some of them intermarried with the local population. But hey, Coptic Egyptians are indistinguishable from most other Egyptians. Also, the Berbers (whom Egyptians are related to) who are the indigenous people of the Maghrib, could easily pass for any of the North African nationalities.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

After Black Flag released, Ubi sent out a survey and one of the questions was in regard to the idea of creating a new series entirely focused on piracy. Could be that.

If this "Empire" rumor is true, then perhaps this is finally the year for an AC: Rogue remaster. Possibly alongside some other AC remasters

It's been almost a year since Rogue hit the PC. I'll eat my hat if current-gen console versions happen, the as-yet-unannounced collection aside.

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
Syndicate made a few journos top ten lists for 2015...was it legitimately a good game?

I'm playing through it now. It's really dope. Improved all around, removed all the Unity malarkey. Only downside I'd say is the occasional control issues and the lack of enemy variety. 9/10 by me.

How many games would possibly be in an AC collection remaster. Everything up until black flag? I cant see them selling 5 games(possibly 6 if you include liberation, 7 if u include rogue as well...but I am thinking just main entries) for 60 dollars. I hope they just dont do the Ezio trilogy

Harlequin

The only people that would have been in Egypt living at that time would have been the big bro up there.
I await the nonsense like Gods and Kings.

While we have no complete certainty regarding the typical skin colour(s) of ancient Egyptians, archaeological evidence (wall paintings, etc. - even though depictions of people in Egyptian art were usually highly stylised/idealised) certainly points to the majority of ancient Egyptians not having been black (although they weren't white, either, mind you). Anthropometrically, ancient Egyptians show both traits which are more similar to those of people from tropical Africa (limb ratio), as well as traits more similar to people from the Middle East or Southern Europe (dentition).

But yes, portraying ancient Egyptians as caucasians, like certain recent Hollywood films have done, is certainly wrong and worthy of criticism.* I would argue that portraying them as completely black would be equally historically inaccurate, however. Whether the people in that particular screenshot are too light-skinned for ancient Egyptians is debatable. They certainly do look quite a bit lighter than the majority of Egyptians depicted in wall paintings. A skin tone like this would probably be more accurate (although there likely was quite a bit of variation, as there is in any population, so I'd think that there'd have been ancient Egyptians with darker and lighter skin tones than this, as well):

Us7hkq1.jpg

*(Portraying Cleopatra VII and other Ptolemies as caucasians, however, is correct as they were of mostly Macedonian descent, although we do not know who Cleopatra VII's mother was. I'm just mentioning it because there's a good number of nutjobs that get upset whenever a white woman is cast as Cleopatra.)

How many games would possibly be in an AC collection remaster. Everything up until black flag? I cant see them selling 5 games(possibly 6 if you include liberation, 7 if u include rogue as well...but I am thinking just main entries) for 60 dollars. I hope they just dont do the Ezio trilogy

I could see them sell more than one collection. One Ezio trilogy collection (maybe with the first game as a download code) and one Americas trilogy collection (ACIII, Black Flag, Rogue and possibly Liberation), maybe.

It also says it's only 40% finished. Can they really rush it that much for a release in 2016?

New Hero's name: Marcus Junius Brutus
-will visit numerous italian cities including Roma.
-Horses and Naval battles will return
-New fonctionalities that will make travelling on ships that much more better than in Black Flag.
-Most ambitious project yet and promises that we never seen anything so amazing elsewhere. It's a totally different game. (lol)
-Darker scenario with a different angle between the Templars/Assassins war.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Please be on point. A current-gen game that revisits Renaissance Italy would literally be a dream come true, and I've theorised that the inordinate amount of Renaissance Italy references in Syndicate may be Ubi teasing a return to the period.

Edit:
Yeah, now that I've read the article in full, the historical period is 68-49 BC. Oh well, a return to Italy in some sense, while not ideal, is something I could file under "Close enough".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Please be on point. A current-gen game that revisits Renaissance Italy would literally be a dream come true, and I've theorised that the inordinate amount of Renaissance Italy references in Syndicate may be Ubi teasing a return to the period.

It would presumably be Rome during the same time period as they're in Egypt, so ancient Rome.

Edit:

I misread the year there.

Don't know how they would have horseback riding in ancient Rome. It was rarely done and when it was, it was difficult and unable to be used as a means of attack or distance travel due to the lack of stirrups.

Don't know how they would have horseback riding in ancient Rome. It was rarely done and when it was, it was difficult and unable to be used as a means of attack or distance travel due to the lack of stirrups.

what do you want?
Cars?
Train?

Seems much less credible than the recent Egypt rumors that have caught fire.

Still, has Schreier commented on this particular story yet? Someone posted a tweet of his from last night indicating that there could still be a 2016 release.

UrbanRats

Either a remaster or another iteration of the mechanics introduced in Unity and Syndicate. If so I hope they at least change that walk cycle. ._.

What do you mean?

EDIT: an AC 40% made and coming this year? Nah.
Syndicate got a bit of good will back because, although not ambitious at all, it was more polished than Unity.

Releasing another Unity style mess would be a nail in the coffin.

eksy

Banned

Decent game. Top 10? Hmm... maybe towards the bottom end of the list.

I would give it a 7 out of 10. There is nothing absolutely revolutionary added to change the series and the story is medicore.

If this didn't leak early and the game wasn't announced until E3 2017, how many people would be calling Assassin's Creed a dead series?

If this didn't leak early and the game wasn't announced until E3 2017, how many people would be calling Assassin's Creed a dead series?

AC is not a dead series

As there any bad AC yet? No (maybe Liberation).
All AC are good
In fact i still don't understand how people can praise AC2 again today after Brotherhood, AC3 AC4 or Syndicate

AC is not a dead series

All AC are good
In fact i still don't understand how people can praise AC2 again today after Brotherhood, AC3 AC4 or Syndicate
AC1 was a unfinished concept, ACB was a rehash, ACU was a broken mess.

All of the Assassin's Creed games certainly are not good.

AC is not a dead series

All AC are good

I thought AC3 is generally regarded as terrible? I think it's terrible.

Unity does absolutely nothing exciting. I gave it a few hours and gave up. I'll probably never play another unless they pull another Black Flag and really introduce some new stuff\mechanics. The combat.... ugh.

Have you met Unity?

I have all of them and for Unity it's because of two things:
-PS4 and ONE aren't next gen console. Deal with it, even with patch the game will never work on that. That explain why Syndicate doesn't have any interiors (besides pubs).
-Watch dogs downgrade...so guillemot said: "DON'T DOWNGRADE UNITY!"
"But boss....we can't sell the game like that"
"DON'T!"

Each LTTP i saw about Unity on this forum the guy said "hey unity is really good and is one of the most beautiful open world i saw in games".

(but the story is not good , i can't expect better from the guy who direct Revelations)

dosh

Have you met Unity?
I played it a few months after the whole performance disaster, and I had fun. I absolutely understand its initial state angered and soured a lot of people (and rightfully so), but in the end, it was a pretty good game.

I thought AC3 is generally regarded as terrible? I think it's terrible.
I agree on AC3 being terrible. By far the weakest of the bunch, despite a cool (if a bit long) intro. I don't hate on Connor, he was an ok protagonist, but everything else was meh. At best.

Top Bottom