• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Nintendo acknowledges Joycon connectivity issues.

I was able to go 20 feet before the connection got choppy.

I was even able to play in the bathroom with a wall and my bed between my Switch and using the mirrors so see that everything was responsive.

Kintaco

I'm 10 feet away with an Xbox One, Wii U, and Soundbar with Bluetooth next to the Switch and I have constant connection issues with the left Joy Con. As others have said crossing my legs really screws up there signal. I'm starting to debate whether to return the system and then take as wait and see approach. Not liking all the issues that have been brought up.

Mandelbo

Guys, I appreciate hearing from all you people that don't have this problem. But some of us DO, and the issue is extremely frustrating.

You think I want to have a console with wireless controllers for which I have to always be concerned about line-of-sight?

If I sit cross legged, my leg gets in the way of my controller and Link runs off a cliff. If I put my feet up my coffee table with the controller in my lap, my feet get in the way and the map spazzes out. I'm not exaggerating.

I'm also about 6 feet away from the console at all times.

I wish Nintendo all the success in the world with this console, but I want them to fix this issue so I can just enjoy my $400 CDN purchase without sitting straight up like a sailor on my couch at all times, like I can with every other wireless controller I've owned. Yes, that's how bad it is.

Widespread or not, Nintendo needs to make this right. People aren't sharing these issues because they want Switch to fail. They want it to be as good as possible, and staying silent will solve nothing.

Sums it up nicely. It's such a baffling problem - I shouldn't need to be constantly readjusting my position because a mote of dust broke the line between the joycons and the console. I really like the joycons and the grip is fantastic for me, but if it can't reliably pick up a signal from about two or so meters away, then that just isn't acceptable.

Sinnick

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I have a question for those who believe interference is the problem. Is it possible that, for some, the interference is coming from a neighbor? Maybe a neighbor has a device on an adjacent wall that's making the Switch/left Joycon connection extremely fragile.

Jedi2016

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I have a question for those who believe interference is the problem. Is it possible that, for some, the interference is coming from a neighbor? Maybe a neighbor has a device on an adjacent wall that's making the Switch/left Joycon connection extremely fragile.
For me, it only happens when my leg gets between the controller and the system. Sitting on the couch with my legs crossed, the controller in my lap... I do it without thinking and only realize how I'm sitting when Link decides to run off a cliff.

If electronics through a wall are enough to fuck with controller connections, that's terrible design. It should not be an issue at this point given the current state of wireless technology. Though that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead the human body seems to be enough of an obstruction. Looking forward to the third party hand extenders so we can play without getting our fingers in the way.

I haven't played my brother's switch in TV mode yet so I don't know if this will be an issue for me. That being said, this is unacceptable for a wireless device released in 2012, so how it is happening now is beyond me.

If this what we've come to now, blamming a neighbor on controller issues?

Ryoku

I also have no issues. Even from 14 feet back, put my joycon hand behind a wall, behind my back, no issues. System has an xbox one s, cable box, modem, all within 2 feet of it.

Must be hardware specific, right?

Probably. Like I mentioned in my previous post, My dock is located somewhat to the left and behind the TV, and from 4-5m away behind my back, both joycons work flawlessly. There's a Wii U, FiOS receiver, and a bluray player in the setup.

I think some joycons got the short end of the stick here in terms of quality control. Though, that's my only "hypothesis" so it doesn't really count for much.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I tried all those things, and it didn't help at all.

Basically if i play with my leg in between it and the switch, it clearly loses a solid connection to the point of it being immediately unplayable. If i put it behind my back, it doesn't have any connection at all. Unplugging my playstation and xbox and wireless speaker didn't do anything, nor did moving it from the entertainment center to the coffee table.

Of course, there's absolutely nothing i can do to make the right joycon lose connectivity, outside of taking it out of the room entirely.

I guess the good news is that it never loses connectivity as long as I make sure i never cross my legs, but it is insane that I can't sit how I want if I want to play it. Maybe I should mount the switch to the ceiling if i want to be able to sit comfortably while i play.

Any word on if they're doing replacements if you call customer service?

Yep,can't be more than 5 feet from the Switch or the left continues to drop out. Turned off wifi so it's not interference with Bluetooth either. This is bullshit and I fully expect Nintendo to replace it with a new one.

suaveric

I wonder if Nintendo had multiple suppliers for the Bluetooth antenna and one of them sent some bad shit. I don't understand why it's so hit and miss with this issue.

No. For me, it's entirely how I sit/hold the controller.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If electronics through a wall are enough to fuck with controller connections, that's terrible design. It should not be an issue at this point given the current state of wireless technology. Though that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead the human body seems to be enough of an obstruction. Looking forward to the third party hand extenders so we can play without getting our fingers in the way.

I haven't played my brother's switch in TV mode yet so I don't know if this will be an issue for me. That being said, this is unacceptable for a wireless device released in 2012, so how it is happening now is beyond me.

It's obviously a problem because no other wireless controller has these problems for most people, including the right joycon.

Only question is if it's 100% of left joycons that work or not depending on environment, or xx% of left joycons with faulty hardware that need to be replaced.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Guys, I appreciate hearing from all you people that don't have this problem. But some of us DO, and the issue is extremely frustrating.

You think I want to have a console with wireless controllers for which I have to always be concerned about line-of-sight?

If I sit cross legged, my leg gets in the way of my controller and Link runs off a cliff. If I put my feet up my coffee table with the controller in my lap, my feet get in the way and the map spazzes out. I'm not exaggerating.

I'm also about 6 feet away from the console at all times.

I wish Nintendo all the success in the world with this console, but I want them to fix this issue so I can just enjoy my $400 CDN purchase without sitting straight up like a sailor on my couch at all times, like I can with every other wireless controller I've owned. Yes, that's how bad it is.

Widespread or not, Nintendo needs to make this right. People aren't sharing these issues because they want Switch to fail. They want it to be as good as possible, and staying silent will solve nothing.

It's what I also said somewhere at the beginning of the thread I think. All the people who come here and brag about how they have no problems even going 100 feet through 3 lead walls just in the name of diminishing this problem to help Nintendo's image or who knows why are just damn inconsiderate towards the people who have real issues.

Raitaro

It's what I also said somewhere at the beginning of the thread I think. All the people who come here and brag about how they have no problems even going 100 feet through 3 lead walls just in the name of diminishing this problem to help Nintendo's image or who knows why are just damn inconsiderate towards the people who have real issues.

Hear, hear. Good post, as is the one you quoted.

Airbar

Neo Member

Thing is, dunno if I posted in this thread, but def in another one and I just did it so people who HAVE the problem know that it is basically faulty hardware.
Weirdly enough I started to have these same problems yesterday. My knees were blocking the signal. Oh and someone on reddit apparently contacted Nintendo and they recognize it as faulty hardware and will replace it as long as you say you tried everything in order for it to work.

Top Bottom