• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) at E3 2012 confirmed

BD1

Banned
I've been thinking about this game a little bit today. How do you think it will control? How are they going to incorporate the subscreen controller? I'm thinking it could be one of two ways:

The subscreen will show a simplified overhead map of the environments with real time markers of Pikmin/enemies/etc, and will allow you to move quickly around the map RTS-style.

The other is a little bit more of a radical departure, with stylus control, taking the NPC cursor and mapping it to stylus touch. Similar to KI:U or Zelda DS, we'd hold the subscreen with our left hands utilizing the left circle pad, L and ZL and then use the stylus to control the cursor on screen.

Any other GAF'er thoughts on how we'll be playing Pikmin...soon!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I've been thinking about this game a little bit today. How do you think it will control? How are they going to incorporate the subscreen controller? I'm thinking it could be on of two ways:

The subscreen will show a simplified overhead map of the environments with real time markers of Pikmin/enemies/etc, and will allow you to move quickly around the map RTS-style.

The other is a little bit more of a radical departure, with stylus control, taking the NPC cursor and mapping it to stylus touch. Similar to KI:U or Zelda DS, we'd hold the subscreen with our left hands utilizing the left circle pad, L and ZL and then use the stylus to control the cursor on screen.

Any other GAF'er thoughts on how we'll be playing Pikmin...soon!

- perhaps you will have control of more than two spacemen, and a touch screen is used to tap select other characters across the game world.
- Pikmin drones. A new Pikmin species that can fly. Olimar puts a video transmitter on them and you use the screen to get a birds eye view of new territory. Maybey drop bomb rocks too.
- Use the tilt functions to maneuver your Pikmin swarm.

ok so i just started NPC Pikmin 2 and already ran into a problem:

In some of the early caves where you first get the white ones, there is a treasure sitting atop a huge tall wooden stomp, now HOW am i supposed to get to this?

I can throw some Pikmin on the other side which is less tall but then they automatically become inactive, and when i whistle to wake em up again they automatically jump down to me... :(

There is no C stick since its NPC Wiimote but how can i regain control afterwards?

any help would be appreciated

SmithnCo

In some of the early caves where you first get the white ones, there is a treasure sitting atop a huge tall wooden stomp, now HOW am i supposed to get to this?

I can throw some Pikmin on the other side which is less tall but then they automatically become inactive, and when i whistle to wake em up again they automatically jump down to me... :(

There is no C stick since its NPC Wiimote but how can i regain control afterwards?

Is there a C-Stick equivalent? You could try calling them while holding it in the direction of the stump so they don't fall, then guide them to the other side.

Shiggy

Don't know about it because I only played the NPC version. Never had any problems though.

The C-stick tactic is a strategy in both of the Pikmin titles on the Nintendo GameCube that allows Pikmin to be thrown more quickly. It makes killing many types of enemies, such as mature Bulborbs, easier, quicker and safer.

It involves swarming the Pikmin that are under the captain's control towards him, keeping the group centered around him, and rotating the C-stick as necessary. While doing this, rapidly pressing the 'A' button will throw Pikmin more quickly.

The strategy works by removing the need to wait a fraction of a second for a Pikmin to approach the pilot to be thrown. It saves very little time on a single throw, but can make a significant difference when throwing large groups. In Pikmin 2, Pikmin take less time to move into position anyway, so this strategy makes less difference than in Pikmin.

In the New Play Control! games, this particular strategy does not work, because the equivalent of the C-stick is a button. However, here, it is possible to aim the cursor independently of moving. This means that the captain can run around in the group of Pikmin while pressing the throwing Pikmin, and, if done right, this strategy will throw them more quickly.

www.pikminwiki.com/C-stick_tactic

I am talking about the NPC version here, maybe you misunderstood, since there is NO C-Stick on the Wii i seemingly have NO way of directing my pikmin atop that stump to the treasure since they are asleep...

I now read though that you can throw YELLOW Pikmin further than normal ones, well tough luck since the first time throug that cave you do NOT get yellow ones yet and when i re-entered the cave afterwards the treasure was GONE?? wtf ? very strange.

So does this mean you absolutely HAVE to get every treasure on your first try in a cave or else it's gone forever then?

Conor 419

Banned
I've always strongly believed this would be a launch title, it's been in development too long for it not to have been. I think Nintendo are going to blow us away graphically, it'll be great!

But enough with the gaming side, let's get down to business. Nintendo ought to be gearing up Pikmin 3 to be an absolutely major player for the Wii U's launch. It's considerable development time has left it as the major candidate for catering to the 'hardcore' gamer this holiday. The marketing deserves a significantly larger budget than any Nintendo title has received in the past, it needs to be comparable in terms of scale with Halo 3's marketing campaigns. I hope Nintendo outsource a lot of it to Digital Domain as well, they were behind the Halo 4 reveal trailer and the Halo 3 starry night trailer. If anyone can make an impact, it'll be them.

Nintendo also need a similar diorama, imagine this trailer exactly how it is, but replace the Marines with Pikmin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUbVOr1qmhA&feature=related

Now for the plot. I'm aware that Pikmin 1 and 2 were very plot light and were quite upbeat in tone. This needs to go, the game itself needs to be far more story driven and cinematic than the previous titles, with the promise that Pikmin 3 will conclude the 'epic trilogy'.

If Nintendo are clever, the plot will closely parallel my own plot which I submitted to Nintendo a while back.

Rejected Pikmin 3 Plot said:
The plot of the game is based 20 years after the events of Pikmin 2. After Hocotate Freight expanded and made numerous missions to the Pikmin planet to harvest the resources there, the news of the planet became widespread and many Hocotate companies ventured to exploit the incredibly useful Pikmin as cheap labour. Olimar was haunted by the events he witnessed 20 years ago; the enslavement of the Pikmin species, their horrible treatment and the complete destruction of their home. He eventually rebelled against the HF President but was forced into an early retirement. The game focuses on an ageing and now alcoholic Olimar struggling to forget his tormented past. Hocotate is under attack and is on the verge of destruction from an alien threat, the militarised Pikmin rebelled against their commanders during the war and left the Hocotate military largely ineffective at repelling the invasion.

Being the legendary expedition hero from the planet's history and one of the few remaining hardened Pikmin commanders. The President of Hocotate calls on Olimar to take up his old whistle and rally the scattered Pikmin militia to try and retake the planet. Olimar was the only Hocotatian that treated Pikmin not as tools, but as friends and as a result the Pikmin remember their old master and do as he bids.

Combine this with a full orchestra, the aforementioned marketing campaign and full exploration of sensitive thematic areas and Pikmin 3 will be gaming's biggest blockbuster yet!

Olimar would closely parallel Old Snake.

Mdk7

I've always strongly believed this would be a launch title, it's been in development too long for it not to have been. I think Nintendo are going to blow us away graphically, it'll be great!

But enough with the gaming side, let's get down to business. Nintendo ought to be gearing up Pikmin 3 to be an absolutely major player for the Wii U's launch. It's considerable development time has left it as the major candidate for catering to the 'hardcore' gamer this holiday. The marketing deserves a significantly larger budget than any Nintendo title has received in the past, it needs to be comparable in terms of scale with Halo 3's marketing campaigns. I hope Nintendo outsource a lot of it to Digital Domain as well, they were behind the Halo 4 reveal trailer and the Halo 3 starry night trailer. If anyone can make an impact, it'll be them.

Nintendo also need a similar diorama, imagine this trailer exactly how it is, but replace the Marines with Pikmin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8pas3CxniU

Now for the plot. I'm aware that Pikmin 1 and 2 were very plot light and were quite upbeat in tone. This needs to go, the game itself needs to be far more story driven and cinematic than the previous titles, with the promise that Pikmin 3 will conclude the 'epic trilogy'.

If Nintendo are clever, the plot will closely parallel my own plot which I submitted to Nintendo a while back.

Combine this with a full orchestra, the aforementioned marketing campaign and full exploration of sensitive thematic areas and Pikmin 3 will be gaming's biggest blockbuster yet!

Please tell me it's a joke post.

Conor 419

Banned
Blimey, it may as well be! I referred to Hocotate as 'The Earth' at one point, no wonder it was rejected. Schoolboy error, you live and learn!

Medalion

Banned
PLEASE BE GORGEOUS

image.php

The plot of the game is based 20 years after the events of Pikmin 2. After Hocotate Freight expanded and made numerous missions to the Pikmin planet to harvest the resources there, the news of the planet became widespread and many Hocotate companies ventured to exploit the incredibly useful Pikmin as cheap labour. Olimar was haunted by the events he witnessed 20 years ago; the enslavement of the Pikmin species, their horrible treatment and the complete destruction of their home. He eventually rebelled against the HF President but was forced into an early retirement. The game focuses on an ageing and now alcoholic Olimar struggling to forget his tormented past. Hocotate is under attack and is on the verge of destruction from an alien threat, the militarised Pikmin rebelled against their commanders during the war and left the Hocotate military largely ineffective at repelling the invasion.

Being the legendary expedition hero from the planet's history and one of the few remaining hardened Pikmin commanders. The President of Hocotate calls on Olimar to take up his old whistle and rally the scattered Pikmin militia to try and retake the planet. Olimar was the only Hocotatian that treated Pikmin not as tools, but as friends and as a result the Pikmin remember their old master and do as he bids.
this is amazing

Conor 419

Banned
Thanks! Nintendo clearly didn't think so, unless they just didn't want to credit my idea. I wouldn't even mind, I just really feel it'll benefit the series.

I'd like a MGS4 esque narrative. Olimar should parallel Old Snake, and the game should have some really dark undertones. I can imagine the last scene in the game being Louie saluting at Olimar's grave, it'd be cool.

Conor 419

Banned
I was thinking, there should be some Shadow of the Colossus style boss fights as well. The fight would take place at sunset, it'd be pouring down with rain and be dangerously windy. The camera would be panning around a Colosi's body. It'd be bloody and battered and psychologically distressed. It'll be desperately trying to shake the Pikmin off of its body, with the camera panning under its arms and through its legs showing each individual Pikmin's epic struggle in the climb to the top. There'd be Pikmin falling off, Pikmin being crushed, Pikmin trying to help eachother up. The camera would switch and show some of the low level leaf Pikmin who have clearly not seen much combat before, they would be visually terrified and either cowering in the corner or fleeing from the fight whilst Olimar is frantically screaming at them to rejoin the fight, with tears running down his eyes. Some of the hardcore Flower Pikmin will have lost limbs, but they'll still be dragging themselves back towards the Titan, fighting till the end.

The boss fight would end hours later, with a silhouette of a single surviving Pikmin on top of the bosses head, landing the final killing blow. The Colossus would crumple to the ground and emit a terrifying death cry. The scene goes black and fades back in at daybreak. The camera pans over the battle, the Collosus is dead, all of the Pikmin are dead, the landscape has been entirely obliterated and nothing survives. Olimar, slumped against the dead Colossus takes out a cigar and lights up. The credits roll.

Edit - So yeah, it could end in similar way to
Modern Warfare 3
. That'd be really cool.

SmithnCo

There should be a level where you actually play as a Bulborb, having to fight your way through bloodthirsty swarms of Pikmin. At first you are able to kill a good number, but they keep piling on. Eventually you just try to escape, but are unable to stop the ruthless hoard. You die at Olimar's feet and he puts a cigarette out on your battered corpse.

Conor 419

Banned
There should be a level where you actually play as a Bulborb, having to fight your way through bloodthirsty swarms of Pikmin. At first you are able to kill a good number, but they keep piling on. Eventually you just try to escape, but are unable to stop the ruthless hoard. You die at Olimar's feet and he puts a cigarette out on your battered corpse.

The Bulborbs form a defensive line in front of the nest. It is night time. They are coming. There are few strong Bulborbs able to fight, many have seen too many winters...or too few. Their numbers have been crippled by the frequent Pikmin raids. Many Bulborb scouts were sent out to try and reach other packs, none have returned. They hear the marching footsteps of the Pikmin getting slowly louder and louder, a horn sounds in the distance. Their brains may be limited, but they know fear.

The Pikmin fall upon them and their defences are swiftly overthrown, a few brave Bulborbs try to hold the line, but they aren't even being engaged. They can only watch, horrified, the Pikmin are going straight for the nest, the baby Bulborbs are picked up and carried away.

No hope.

orioto

Good Art™
So? That sequence was made on the Gamecube, and they are upgrading visuals for use on the Wii-U, no reason why it can't look as great if not better

Lol this is video with some cgi incrusted. And the video is pretty ugly.

But in term of ingame graphics, i think the fact that Pikmin is top view with a rather fix camera could allow some crazy rendering on WiiU, cause you're never too close to the textures.

The Bulborbs form a defensive line in front of the nest. It is night time. They are coming. There are few strong Bulborbs able to fight, many have seen too many winters...or too few. Their numbers have been crippled by the frequent Pikmin raids. Many Bulborb scouts were sent out to try and reach other packs, none have returned. They hear the marching footsteps of the Pikmin getting slowly louder and louder, a horn sounds in the distance. Their brains may be limited, but they know fear.

The Pikmin fall upon them and their defences are swiftly overthrown, a few brave Bulborbs try to hold the line, but they aren't even being engaged. They can only watch, horrified, the Pikmin are going straight for the nest, the baby Bulborbs are picked up and carried away.

No hope.

Nighttime "challenge" levels would be awesome. Creatures you don't see during the day, tons more of the ones that you normally encounter, etc.

You could call it: Pikmin Survival Horror...

I want to thank Conor 419 for making me laugh so hard.

So hard.

Man, I needed that after my shitty weekend.

Joke or not, those posts were fucking amazing.

Truth101

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUbVOr1qmhA&feature=related

Olimar would closely parallel Old Snake.

Not sure if joke or not, but nonetheless it is funny.

11redder

Yes, yes...

Now, how about a new Wave Race* for launch?

*Inspired by Wave Race 64, music and all. Blue Storm was a mis-step is aesthetics and atmosphere.

Confirmation of pikmin is glorious, but If Wave Race is shown at E3 I'll blow my load. I tried so hard to love Blue Storm, but it paled in comparison to the original.

Fabrik

Banned
But in term of ingame graphics, i think the fact that Pikmin is top view with a rather fix camera could allow some crazy rendering on WiiU, cause you're never too close to the textures.

Exactly.

I've always strongly believed this would be a launch title, it's been in development too long for it not to have been.

I don't think that game has been in development that long. It probably was just a rough prototype on Wii, if that. Maybe it was even only a concept or ideas they put on paper.
The game has probably 1,5/2 years of development time max.

Conor 419

Banned
Yet it has been in development longer than any other announced Nintendo title. Seriously, if Pikmin 3 doesn't make launch, don't expect any first party title at launch.

I could bet my spleen it'd make launch.

Neiteio

If I recall correctly, Pikmin 3 didn't get much work done on Wii. They couldn't find the game's "hook" in the brainstorming phase, and so it never moved beyond the conceptual stage while on Wii. I also recall reading that only a skeleton crew was figuring it out while it was on Wii. It wasn't until development switched to WiiU and they had the "hook" of HD, a second screen and touch controls that development got into full swing. So, realistically it's probably had about a year or two of REAL development, though that's probably enough time for it to have a shot at launch.

Instro

If I recall correctly, Pikmin 3 didn't get much work done on Wii. They couldn't find the game's "hook" in the brainstorming phase, and so it never moved beyond the conceptual stage. I also recall reading that only a skeleton crew was figuring it out while it was on Wii. It wasn't until development switched to WiiU and they had the "hook" of HD, a second screen and touch controls that development got into full swing. So, realistically it's probably had about a real or two of REAL development, though that's probably enough time for it to have a shot at launch.

Hard to say really. Some people will tell you that they allegedly had a build ready for E3 but scrapped it. I think we'll know for sure depending on the visuals once we see it at E3. I'm of a similar opinion as you though, I think very little work was actual done before the decision came to switch it to WiiU. Whether or not it makes launch is up in the air.

Neiteio

Hard to say really. Some people will tell you that they allegedly had a build ready for E3 but scrapped it. I think we'll know for sure depending on the visuals once we see it at E3. I'm of a similar opinion as you though, I think very little work was actual done before the decision came to switch it to WiiU. Whether or not it makes launch is up in the air.
Even if the visuals are gorgeous, I don't think that's indicative of a long dev time. It may just be that those particular artists at Nintendo were really inspired working with some real horsepower and (finally) HD graphics.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Hadnt been on Gaf in a few hours and saw this thread on the front page and thought we had a new leak/confirmation.

Im gonna kill you junior

Instro

Even if the visuals are gorgeous, I don't think that's indicative of a long dev time. It may just be that those particular artists at Nintendo were really inspired working with some real horsepower and (finally) HD graphics.

Well I meant that if it looks less than impressive it may be that they had done more work on the Wii version than we though.

Top Bottom