• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: BioShock Infinite is troubled, having issues reaching vision, cut modes

pargonta

Nate Wells leaving is pretty huge.

He was the art lead on the original BioShock as well as SWAT 4 and stuff far back as System Shock 2.

he was not the only art lead on Bioshock 1, as Levine has pointed out in damage control today.

Mr. Sinclair, owner of sinclair spirits and art director of Bio 1, is bringing it home.

bridegur

It's a shame there's so much pressure to have multiplayer in every game. This is a project that clearly doesn't need it.

BHK3

Banned
Please please please let this turn out good, I'm so hyped for this game and hearing about all these problems is making me worry D:

StuBurns

Banned
I've just watched both the big gameplay videos, reminded me how incredible it all looked, and how much I dislike her design.

It must be so disappointing to give such a significant amount of your life to a project, have such high standards for it, and see it struggle (if that is indeed the case).

chiablo

This is a story-driven game, just cut multiplayer completely.

Nobody played the multiplayer in Bioshock 2, nobody will play the multiplayer in this.

After reading the full article, it doesn't seem like such a huge deal. It's taking longer than expected, a handful of key people have left but nearly all the leads remain, and multiplayer is fucked but who cares about that? It shouldn't even be a consideration.

In Ken I trust.

Raven77

I sort of knew this was going to happen based on my following observations:

The core style of the game world is difficult to pull off. How big can these "floating worlds" really be before they are just way into sci-fi territory.

They have only ever showed one small piece of a level that looked confusingly put together (the city with the weird roller coaster like structure spinning through it)

The gameplay elements have seemed confused...from the very first trailer. Is it a shooter? an on rails game? a RPG?

Idk, I was never hyped for it although I hope it comes out and is a success for the people working on it.

The game screams epic, big-budget, like it's just that for the sake of it rather than for compelling gameplay reasons, and while all of the fancy scripting and the "emotional connections" with NPC's could be a real treat, it doesn't feel as if it's worth the effort that they're putting into it. I'd rather have another exciting, but bare-bones effort like System Shock 2 or SWAT 4 and no doubt Irrational could make 50 System Shock 2's for what they're paying for Infinite.

Have there ever been any overly ambitions/delayed games that ever turned out amazing? The longer Infinite takes the more skeptical I am of it's quality.

The day that publishers, developers, and game "journalists" figure out that Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Halo have a stranglehold on multiplayer FPS's will be a GLORIOUS day. Stop shoving multiplayer into your games, please. No one cares about the mode. It's a waste of time and money to even get into it. Focus on your game world, narrative, and mechanics.

And the Bioshock Infinite presentations always seemed REALLY staged to me, so I'm not surprised to read that those were more "dream" than "reality."

Depends how ambitious you mean, HL2 and RE4 I would say both qualify.

Don't think HL2 really counts cause it was announced in 2003 and came out in 2004 IIRC (was delayed a year)

RE4 is probably the only example now that you mention it, RE4 probably escaped because Capcom didn't continue to try and push forward with builds they were having issues with choosing to scrap them all (minus the DMC build) til they had one they liked and stuck with.

Have there ever been any overly ambitions/delayed games that ever turned out amazing? The longer Infinite takes the more skeptical I am of it's quality.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R was announced in 2001, and finally released in 2007. It was amazing. See also: Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil 4.

StuBurns

Banned
Don't think HL2 really counts cause it was announced in 2003 and came out in 2004 IIRC (was delayed a year)

RE4 is probably the only example now that you mention it, RE4 probably escaped because Capcom didn't continue to try and push forward with builds they were having issues with choosing to scrap them all (minus the DMC build) til they had one they liked and stuck with.
There were only about eighteen months between announcement and release, but it was still more than five years in development as a project.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Multiplayer should have never, NEVER been part of the equation at any point of the developement. They fucked up by even bringing it up in a meeting.

But we gotta protect from trade-ins, bro... :(

Curufinwe

I think a delay to May would be a good idea. Feb/March is too crowded, and it would be a real shame if this was the third Bioshock game in a row to ship with busted mouse acceleration and widescreen support on the PC version.

H3xum

This really, really brings me down, man

Whats really staggering is how long this game has been in development and they were still recently straightening out the story and level design? What in the world

StuBurns

Banned
Widescreen wasn't really busted. You should heighten the horizontal as your vertical perspective should be determined by your distance from the monitor. Your FoV should be higher on PC because you're physically closer to the screen though, I know you could change that in a config file, but I can't remember if it's in an in-game menu.

Widescreen wasn't really busted. You should heighten the horizontal as your vertical perspective should be determined by your distance from the monitor. Your FoV should be higher on PC because you're physically closer to the screen though, I know you could change that in a config file, but I can't remember if it's in an in-game menu.
It has been fixed now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Shouldn't have bothered with multiplayer in the first place.

Who wants to buy a Bioshock-type game for the multiplayer? Anybody? Anywhere?

It's a waste of time and money.

soultron

Banned
The day that publishers, developers, and game "journalists" figure out that Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Halo have a stranglehold on multiplayer FPS's will be a GLORIOUS day. Stop shoving multiplayer into your games, please. No one cares about the mode. It's a waste of time and money to even get into it. Focus on your game world, narrative, and mechanics.

And the Bioshock Infinite presentations always seemed REALLY staged to me, so I'm not surprised to read that those were more "dream" than "reality."

I feel you. Still, you'll not see a game of Infinite's scope unless the design mandate includes some form of MP. Gotta plump those IPs up for DLCs and sequels, know what I'm sayin'?

Kind of sad.

One of the few Western games I care about, so hopefully they get on track.

I will be honest though and say that I smiled a little when they indicated that the mutli-player modes were cut.

well ken said at the beginning, MP will not be a part of Bioshock infinite, maybe they came up with a great idea on paper but later realised it wasn't that great afterall.

Curufinwe

Yeah it was, which is why they had to patch it.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/13203-bioshock-2-pc-widescreen-issue-patched/
http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/widescreenannouncement

When BioShock 2 shipped for PC players, it altered the vertical FOV for different monitor aspect ratios rather than the horizontal FOV. (For those of you who think in pictures, like me, different views looked like the image below, depending on your aspect ratio.)

We are fixing the FOV so that it expands horizontally in the first PC patch (currently in testing - I'll be posting more about it when an exact date for its release is set!) That means that now your view will expand on the right and the left if you have a widescreen monitor, and look like the image below.

We always meant to have our FOV expand horizontally, but a last minute bug fix for a related issue changed this back to a vertical FOV just before ship. We feel rather silly about this, and agree that horizontal expansion is much more awesome, and that you'll have it very soon.

Well I'm all for them delaying the game again if it means restoring some of that vision.

Hell delay it until Fall of 2013 for all I care. There are too many great games between now and then coming out anyways.

soultron

Banned
Irrational has done some prototyping of core gameplay mechanics, so it might be safe to say that the entire thing wasn't staged or at least within their grasp. I remember watching them demo a playable prototype of the "rail ride" mechanic. Looked very neat.

The biggest problem I see to all of this, however, is the current consoles' limited memory and the fact that you're zipping along super fast. I'm not about to shut them down, but shit, they need to be working some crazy magick wherein occluders are saving them buttloads of memory or they're constantly streaming sub-maps in and out around the player as they ride the rails. Or something else entirely. I'm curious to see some of the wizardry if they pull it off! :p

Well I'm all for them delaying the game again if it means restoring some of that vision.

Hell delay it until Fall of 2013 for all I care. There are too many great games between now and then coming out anyways.

I'd be shitting bricks about delaying it anywhere closer to 2014 if the new consoles rear their head anytime soon. Worst case scenario I can see now is that they ship Infinite close to the launch of one or both of the new consoles. Worse than that, having to change tech to release on the new consoles.

StuBurns

Banned
That's more like, people are bitching and have no idea how aspect ratio's relate to field of vision, so we'll just change it to appease them, to me. Although, 'is much more awesome' of course, is also a fair point.

EDIT: And it still didn't, the post patch shows 16:10 actually being wider.
EDIT2: Actually, that's probably just incorrect labeling at fault.

Team Fortress 2 took 9 years to come out and was originally had a realistic military take with RTS elements for commanders of the team.

soultron

Banned
Team Fortress 2 took 9 years to come out and was originally had a realistic military take with RTS elements for commanders of the team.

Never forget.
tf2_01.jpg

Top Bottom