• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: BioShock Infinite is troubled, having issues reaching vision, cut modes

trw

Team Fortress 2 took 9 years to come out and was originally had a realistic military take with RTS elements for commanders of the team.

Also, Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl. Although to be fair, that game took a few patches before it got really awesome.

As I recall Starcraft 2 was in dev hell a couple of years as well and that turned out great.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder what goes on behind closed doors at 2K. Nearly every one of their games takes 5+ years and hits a couple points when all we hear are gloom and doom rumors, yet somehow tons of them turn out great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what goes on behind closed doors at 2K. Nearly every one of their games takes 5+ years and hits a couple points when all we hear are gloom and doom rumors, yet somehow tons of them turn out great.

They just spend money and time until they feel a product is either unsellable or great and then release it.

Though this strategy mostly earns them losses and shareholder rebellions.

StuBurns

Banned
Turn out great? Since BioShock I'd put Borderlands as the only really good game they've published.

They keep going on like they're Rockstar and they'll be crippled sooner or later.

I got the impression from the E3 2011 demo that, while it was awesome, it also rung slightly as too good to be true. The entire scenario they displayed seemed to be too heavily scripted, especially for a supposed "optional" event.

If they can manage to pull off the scope they intended to from the beginning, I'll be super impressed and Infinite will be one of my favorite games of all-time. However, I'm tailoring back my expectations with this news of them having trouble reaching their vision. I'm sure Infinite will be a great game in whatever form it comes together, but I'm not going to expect it to be a super visionary title.

Tobor

This is exactly why I want Bethesda to keep multiplayer away from the main Elder Scrolls series.

The full focus at Irrational should have been on making a great single player game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Turn out great? Since BioShock I'd put Borderlands as the only really good game they've published.

They keep going on like they're Rockstar and they'll be crippled sooner or later.

Rockstar is a fully owned subsidiary of Take-Two, which also owns 2K. :p

Gartooth

So could we assume that had Irrational not used that heavily scripted E3 demo, they wouldn't have built up expectations so highly and thus would have possibly released the game by now?

StuBurns

Banned
They're the same company though. I mean, they even share resources across divisions like with Mafia and moving L.A. Noire from the 2K branding to the Rockstar branding.
Rockstar Games bought the LA Noire IP directly from SCE I believe. It was never a 2K game.

I'm sure there are some cross resources, but unlike Rockstar, 2K's protracted development doesn't have a history of significant returns, which was my point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rockstar Games bought the LA Noire IP directly from SCE I believe. It was never a 2K game.

I'm sure there are some cross resources, but unlike Rockstar, 2K's protracted development doesn't have a history of significant returns, which was my point.

I remember it being on one of their 2K/Rockstar chart things, but I could be hallucinating.

Scrabble

IS anyone else getting a Halo 2 vibe from all this? Where irrational spends all there time on a demo without actually having the design or story down? And then spends the rest of development in development hell trying to piece together a game.

UrbanRats

Thanks.
The second half was quite impressive in terms of detail vs openworld.
Though i had already seen it during E3, i guess it didn't made quite the impact because after the Oblivion one from 2007, i've been burnt on these kind of demonstrations and now i just automatically assume they're mostly handcrafted bullshit.
Unless they go out of their way to prove otherwise (Dishonored).

At this point I rather play a Bioshock 3 from 2K Marin. If Bioshock Infinite isn't what that demo show, I kinda don't want it. :\

If Bioshock Infinite isn't what the demo showed... then you have no idea what it will be!

Rapture is done and dusted. The only way a game set in Rapture would interest me in the slightest would be if it was set before/during the fall.

I'm not concerned about the multiplayer gets cut. It's unfortunate that so much time and money was wasted but I probably wouldn't play multiplayer anyway. Hopefully the single player is still amazing.

IS anyone else getting a Halo 2 vibe from all this? Where irrational spends all there time on a demo without actually having the design or story down? And then spends the rest of development in development hell trying to piece together a game.

It seems to me they had the idea and roughly what they wanted to do with the setting, story and different gameplay ideas but they didn't actually grasp how it would actually work. The E3 2011 demo blew me away and I was pumped but I was very nervous how these large scale rail fights, Elizabeth's powers or these seemingly random/anytime scripted events would occur so perfectly in what was supposed to be an open world. Very exciting but possibly too ambitious.

RooMHM

Team Fortress 2 took 9 years to come out and was originally had a realistic military take with RTS elements for commanders of the team.
True but Valve is infinitely superior to any other dev that exists or has existed. It's the exception than validates the "rule".

Yeah. Same here. :|

What ever happened to Prey 2 anyways?

There was a rumour that it had been cancelled, but the publisher came out to say it's still in development. When it does resurface, it's probably going to be quite different to how it was when announced. Maybe even a total change of developers.

At least it's not cancelled like STALKER 2 :(

Desty

Banned
So how is a new producer supposed to 'unstuck' this game?

It seems like they have lost people doing programming and people doing art. I don't see how a new producer is going to help this late in the development cycle.

So they spent time and money on a multiplayer component, only to cut it out later? That is exactly why all games do NOT need multiplayer modes. The original game didn't have multiplayer and I didn't miss such a thing either.

StuBurns

Banned
A new producer is a good sign isn't it? It implies the project is being dogged by productivity not a lack of direction. In which case, it's just a requirement of pairing down and pushing to the end.

A director's role is making sure all horse are pulling in the same direction, and the producer's role is to whip them to a certain speed, so at least they're heading where they should seemingly.

DanielJr82

So they spent time and money on a multiplayer component, only to cut it out later? That is exactly why all games do NOT need multiplayer modes. The original game didn't have multiplayer and I didn't miss such a thing either.
As of right now all we know is that certain multiplayer modes have been cut, we're not sure if it's the whole multiplayer suite.

Truant

Infinite will be great and you all know it. If the internet went this crazy over every project in turmoil, we'd have nothing else to talk about. Huge projects like this, be it film, games or TV almost always hit some major bumps. Most of the time the public just doesn't know about it.

legend166

He got a promotion at Epic less than a year ago too. Seemed like he really enjoyed working there, so I don't know why he would want to join Irrational. Like you said, it seems like quite a risk to take.

They probably backed up a truck of money to his front door.

Margalis

Banned
Seems like they came up with an idea for a game in their heads, but didn't think through how to actually execute it.

The core concept never really made that much sense to me. From what I understand you happen upon different scenes / temporal rifts and can activate them - for example you can warp in a set of weapons or a wall or something.

It sounded extremely canned and scripted. They made it sound like you could approach encounters in different ways but in reality the ways were all pre-programmed. Really did not sound exciting to me.

Also their hiring seems messed up, well beyond that 85 metacritic stuff. Talking to some people I know who have applied and reading their job postings they are probably missing a lot of good hires.

L1NETT

Rodd leaving Epic is a huge risk, really hope it works for him. Always came across as genuine in interviews.

Hope this helps Infinite get back on track after a basic no-show this year, and doesn't hinder GOW Judgement.

Slaker117

That is sad to hear, but given how ambitious they were being, I don't find it terribly surprising. If greatness was easy to achieve, it wouldn't be great. At the very least, the boldness of their vision was impressive. I hope they can pull it together and produce the game they want to.

That is sad to hear, but given how ambitious they were being, I don't find it terribly surprising. If greatness was easy to achieve, it wouldn't be great. At the very least, the boldness of their vision was impressive. I hope they can pull it together and produce the game they want to.

I don't understand what was so ambitious about it. The concept of Columbia was very solid, everything was coming along nicely, Bioshock Infinite was a clear improvement over Bioshock 1 & 2. What is the problem?

-BLITZ-

I don't understand what was so ambitious about it. The concept of Columbia was very solid, everything was coming along nicely, Bioshock Infinite was a clear improvement over Bioshock 1 & 2. What is the problem?

After Bioshock was released, few interviews where made with Levin and his team telling the entire history process of the game, the first concepts to the lastest ideas and cutting content on the final version nearly close to its release, to get in what they really wanted to give to us.

This is what they are facing right now.

I truly hope this is the kind of game we are going to look back on like Half-Life 2 or something, a masterpiece despite all the problems within development.

So sad to hear that Irrationals ambition may bite them in the ass.

Fjordson

One thing that surprised me in both of the longer demos they showed was just how open it was. It seemed like you could literally hop around the city with the rail system as you please. And not just to go into different "islands" with buildings and houses, but there was shit like the blimp flying around in the second demo that had a full environment inside that. It all looked like an open-world game basically.

Though open-world games have been around for ages at this point so...I don't know. Just something about the demo felt off. Like what they were showing couldn't be translated into a sustainable 8-10 hour experience or however long they're planning.

StuBurns

Banned
One thing that surprised me in both of the longer demos they showed was just how open it was. It seemed like you could literally hop around the city with the rail system as you please. And not just to go into different "islands" with buildings and houses, but there was shit like the blimp flying around in the second demo that had a full environment inside that. It all looked like an open-world game basically.

Though open-world games have been around for ages at this point so...I don't know. Just something about the demo felt off. Like what they were showing couldn't be translated into a sustainable 8-10 hour experience or however long they're planning.
Even more so than BioShock, it seems to be taking several design elements from HL2. In-game 'cutscenes' which the first game didn't really do, plenty of non-hostile people in the environment, a female companion AI. Ultimately what went someway to define HL2 was the exceptional illusion of freedom that game offers. It's as tightly scripted as anything, but it gives you the impression you choose from a number of possible roots, where in reality, they know which direction you'll head, so they only have to build that one. It's done in a number ways, primarily lighting, but it's a very cool trick they pull.

If BioShock is attempting something similar, for example if that second gameplay demo plays out in the only effective way it could, it could be virtually impossible to convince players to actually choose that specific root. It's so quick, and complex, and everything looks inviting unlike HL2's oppressive atmosphere. Watching that video, all I want to do is get off the rails and slowly explore the town.

Riposte

The 2011 E3 demo, which wowed critics and gamers alike, was, apparently, far from indicative of the actual state of the game.

This is what I always figured and this is why I was maddeningly frustrated with game journos talking about it. Such an easy thing to call out, but no one did. Sad, but funny.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't jump onto a rumor all excitedly...

Fjordson

Even more so than BioShock, it seems to be taking several design elements from HL2. In-game 'cutscenes' which the first game didn't really do, plenty of non-hostile people in the environment, a female companion AI. Ultimately what went someway to define HL2 was the exceptional illusion of freedom that game offers. It's as tightly scripted as anything, but it gives you the impression you choose from a number of possible roots, where in reality, they know which direction you'll head, so they only have to build that one. It's done in a number ways, primarily lighting, but it's a very cool trick they pull.

If BioShock is attempting something similar, for example if that second gameplay demo plays out in the only effective way it could, it could be virtually impossible to convince players to actually choose that specific root. It's so quick, and complex, and everything looks inviting unlike HL2's pervasive oppressive atmosphere. Watching that video, all I want to do is get off the rails and slowly explore the town.
Yes. You articulated my thoughts much better than I could. It just seems like it'd be hard to work in all the scripted stuff between Booker and Elizabeth, or the stuff with Elizabeth's powers (the bit with the horse and Revenge of the Jedi), the Songbird encounters and other story bits like those in such a massive and seemingly wide open environment.

I really hope they find that balance, though. Somehow. Loved Irrational's past work and this has had me super interested ever since the reveal trailer.

Am I the only one who looked at the environments and gameplay and thought that they couldn't achieve this on current generation consoles? That's before you go into the stupid amount of work needed to have a character like Elizabeth following you through the whole game not acting like a broken robot.

Top Bottom