• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

It's just kind of weird, isn't it? You can buy used, Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, book, etc.

Imagine buying a used movie and it cuts off after the first 15 minutes, saying "to watch the rest of this film, pay a $10 activation fee."

Pretty much every form of media is available used (in a lot of countries, at least).

If you couldn't sell your old stuff, I'd be stuck with Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz. :/

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0

His post is Dec, I can't find anything about the next Xbox codename rumored to be Durango earlier than that. So he was spot on about both?
That's the key here. Durango is all but confirmed to be the codename of the next Xbox thanks to that Twitter incident with the Crytek employee. So if this pastebin was the earliest Durango was mentioned as the code name we know it's legit. And now Kotaku saying Orbis is the PS4 codename giving it further credence.

What the pastebin guy might have done is give the correct code names and then totally fake specs... but that doesn't make any sense. Why leak true info then fake? Interesting stuff regardless

Umm anybody could have made a guess like that....I don't think there is a single chance that will happen.
Anybody could have guessed Durango and Orbis as the code names? That person should buy a megamillions lottery ticket as well.

I can buy new games for as low as $9.99.

Why bother with someones dirty games when I can wait a few months and get a new copy for less than half the original MSRP?

It's a disc, not a dirty toilet seat.

I love how we have so many people that hate used games, but if they saw a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden II at a garage sale, they'd likely snap it up in an instant. The amount of retro games being shown off in the monthly pick-ups thread proves that GAF really does love used games.

It's just kind of weird, isn't it? You can buy used, Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, book, etc.

Imagine buying a used movie and it cuts off after the first 15 minutes, saying "to watch the rest of this film, pay a $10 activation fee."

Pretty much every form of media is available used (in a lot of countries, at least).

If you couldn't sell your old stuff, I'd be stuck with Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz. :/

Granted, new books/dvds/blu-rays/CDs are much cheaper than new video games so that might have something to do with it.

Then it sounds like the industry is through. Simplistic 99 cent games simply aren't going to cut it for me and many others.

As we know it? Yes. At least I can see that. I'd like to see stats on how quickly game budgets are rising compared to other forms of media, I would imagine its at a much faster rate. Maybe these companies are in over their heads and have just been unchecked all these years without any real form of competition or any real alternative for consumers. People say we are not ready for full digital downloads because bandwidth speeds and caps cannot handle the growing size of games, instead of tying convolute ways to kill used games to counter that, why don't publishers try...scaling back the scope and budgets of their games? Maybe they will find that the mass consumer didn't really give a shit about hours of cinemas and super high res textures this whole time...it's was just the only thing being produced and made available. I'm not saying that the other extreme end of that, $.99 games, is the answer either but I don't see the traditional powers being sustainable as is, and I can see some crazy shit happening in the next few years, like the ps4 flopping or the next Xbox not being what people are expecting it to be.

I'd be shocked if the next generation of consoles don't all lock out used games.

I don't really think used sales are actually hurting publishers, but anything that fucks over Gamestop is okay in my book. Bring on the CD keys!

Granted, new books/dvds/blu-rays/CDs are much cheaper than new video games so that might have something to do with it.

True, but there's still a large amount of used ones available online and offline.

I love how we have so many people that hate used games, but if they saw a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden II at a garage sale, they'd likely snap it up in an instant. The amount of retro games being shown off in the monthly pick-ups thread proves that GAF really does love used games.

This brings up a great point. Does the restriction end at some point in the console's life? Meaning, Sega doesn't sell Genesis or Dreamcast games anymore and they're very hard to find new. So even when buying a used copy doesn't directly effectively result in the loss of a new sale, it still wouldn't work? No retro market for these systems years from now, at all?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The more I think about it... No. Just no fucking way is this accurate.

There are too many downsides and not enough upside. The only thing such a platform has to offer really is MOAR POWAH! And realistically speaking thats only a strong selling point if the price is right, which of course poses a problem for trying to keep selling the PS3 while its building momentum.

Look at it this way: We're talking about a machine that *allegedly* requires a permanent network connection for DRM, which basically puts it in the same ballpark as a digital-download only platform. And despite that manages to disincentivize the value to existing SEN account holders thanks to its radically dissimilar architecture preventing them from enjoying products they already own.

This gen, they could get away with re-releasing titles as "HD remasters" in order to avoid the thorny issue of missing BC, but how are they going to revisit that well? 4K remasters? Given that the number of displays supporting that resolution is going to be minimal?

Makes.No.Sense.

hyp3rlink

Some people just on't like using things that others have already used.

I wonder if these guys buy all their DVDs/Blu-rays as well.

Sure, if see a good deal on a new game I go for it but many a times a "used" version is quite a bit cheaper (I don't buy if the original packaging is missing though)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So..

WiiU = Spring 2013

Xbox 720 = Q3 2012, most likely September.

Playstation 4 = Q4 2012, most likely November.

That leaves us with enough time to finish the gen with GTAV being a Spring 2013 release, right on time for the launch of WiiU.

It all makes sense now

AmFreak

The Pastebin post and Kotaku article conflict each other. You don't go southern islands for the GPU and target 4K resolution if your system is going to be underpowered. So someone is wrong.

The pastebin is obviously bullshit. There is no i7 with even close to 1.2 TFLOPS. Then the 32 bit CPU for the PS4 ...

I also call bullshit on the kotaku always online thing, cause that would instantly kill a certain amount of their potential customers. And if Ms wouldn't do the same thing, who would buy a PS4 then?

Triple U

Banned
The more I think about it... No. Just no fucking way is this accurate.

There are too many downsides and not enough upside. The only thing such a platform has to offer really is MOAR POWAH! And realistically speaking thats only a strong selling point if the price is right, which of course poses a problem for trying to keep selling the PS3 while its building momentum.

Look at it this way: We're talking about a machine that *allegedly* requires a permanent network connection for DRM, which basically puts it in the same ballpark as a digital-download only platform. And despite that manages to disincentivize the value to existing SEN account holders thanks to its radically dissimilar architecture preventing them from enjoying products they already own.

This gen, they could get away with re-releasing titles as "HD remasters" in order to avoid the thorny issue of missing BC, but how are they going to revisit that well? 4K remasters? Given that the number of displays supporting that resolution is going to be minimal?

Makes.No.Sense.

The consumer downsides are upsides for the manufacturer. Which makes perfect sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So..

WiiU = Spring 2013

Xbox 720 = Q3 2012, most likely September.

Playstation 4 = Q4 2012, most likely November.

That leaves us with enough time to finish the gen with GTAV being a Spring 2013 release, right on time for the launch of WiiU.

It all makes sense now

This has to be sarcasm.

Averon

That's the key here. Durango is all but confirmed to be the codename of the next Xbox thanks to that Twitter incident with the Crytek employee. So if this pastebin was the earliest Durango was mentioned as the code name we know it's legit. And now Kotaku saying Orbis is the PS4 codename giving it further credence.

What the pastebin guy might have done is give the correct code names and then totally fake specs... but that doesn't make any sense. Why leak true info then fake? Interesting stuff regardless

Anybody could have guessed Durango and Orbis as the code names? That person should buy a megamillions lottery ticket as well.

The PS4 having no hard drive is pushing me towards thinking the pastbin (at least the part about the specs) is either outdated or bullshit. Sony have been the biggest pusher for digital content. If they are going as far as using a Southern Island GPU, why not throw in a hard drive?

Nizz

I'm conflicted on that pastbin. On the one hand, it makes sense for Sony to be more conservative on hardware after what they went through with the PS3. But the PS4 having no hard drive makes no sense if Sony is pushing hard for DD, which they are.
I just saw this thread and it's moving so fast but, there's talk of no hard drive with PS4s? That's disappointing...

I'm kind of ok about no BC with PS3 since I can still keep my PS3 around. As for the anti-used game idea, that's pretty tough for people who don't have the money to buy a game new. I honestly don't buy used games though.

With the way prices drop on some games if you wait a couple of months, I check for word of mouth on the game and if it's good I usually get it for $39.99 or less. I've bought at least four games at $20.00 or less.

Seik

Banned

Not only this, but there's a big part of the used market where everything is in near-perfect condition. I love the blu-rays for PS3 for this: If they're scratched, just a little, the game may not work because the blu-ray had a lot less layers to protect the data. So most part of PS3 discs are perfect, that goes without saying that they're really harder to scratch than any common CDs imo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Love the PS3, but I've been pretty sure that I won't buy a PS4 for a while now. Mostly just because a) It's highly, highly likely that they'll charge for online b) they won't improve any of their online features with it. I mean, the Vita's ui is just fug.

Kamek

Each game is locked to ONE PSN account? What if my little brother wants to play Street Fighter under his own account?

My biggest thing with getting used games is when I can't find a game anywhere else and it's price online has sky rocketed, I've been hoping for most games to get digital releases to fix this, but hurting used game sales is the wrong way to fix the problem.

Cru Jones

I can understand where some people are coming from. They feel like this is going to have a big negative impact on the number of games that they play and how much it will cost to play those games.

However, the games business is just that, a business. Just like you don't owe anything to Publisher X, they don't owe anything to you. If they want to put a system in place to ensure that every game sold they get a cut of, that's well within their rights and it would be irresponsible of them NOT to take action.

Also, please go read the article again:

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

It sounds like it will work just like an online pass. You purchase the USED game from Gamestop (or wherever else), you bring it home, you make an online purchase of the online pass and the game is now yours.

To take this a step further, contrary to popular belief console makers and Gamestop aren't stupid. I can guarantee that if the anti-used methods are in place you'll see Gamestop and the console manufacturers come to one of the two following agreements.
  1. Gamestop will have a way of purchasing the $X activation code directly from console manufacturers and include it in the used copies, just like Arkham City.
  2. Console manufacturers will set up a system where Gamestop will be able to enter a serial code from the used game they just purchased and deactivate it's registration on Sony/MS server for $X.

The Console Manufacturer's will get a cut for implementing and maintaining this system (essentially ensuring they're receiving a royalty from used sales) and the publisher would get a cut as well ensuring they receive money for their game being sold used.

The second method would be preferable since it would eliminate the need for customer intervention in the process.

At the end of the day, i don't think there is any publisher who wouldn't agree that used game sales have an overall positive affect on the total dollars spent in the games industry. In a perfect world, they would want to be able to foster a healthy used game market, but that market is only beneficial to them if they're getting a cut of the profits. With the proposed "anti" used game methods (I don't like the use of "anti," I believe it's going to be a "used game profitability" method) , they'll be able to do just that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
In my mind I'm 100% sure these rumors are not true. Either it's like you said or someone else just made these up..
I don't know if they would go with anti-used games. Gamestop CEO recently said that they have a great relationship with the platform holders, and let's be honest, they will just limit their market with this move.

Not only this, but there's a big part of the used market where everything is in near-perfect condition. I love the blu-rays for PS3 for this: If they're scratched, just a little, the game may not work because the blu-ray had a lot less layers to protect the data. So most part of PS3 discs are perfect, that goes without saying that they're really harder to scratch than any common CDs imo.

Most used games live the following life cycle:

Remove from packaging and put in disc tray.

Finish game, place back in packaging, sell used.

I'll admit that GameStop seems to shit them up with stickers, but a quick dab off Goo Gone and it's good as new.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Haven't been following this console at all, when is it supposed to be released then?

Wii U is confirmed before Christmas in 2012 and the rumors all point at MS and Sony's systems next year.

ghibli99

Each game is locked to ONE PSN account? What if my little brother wants to play Street Fighter under his own account?
This is what I'm thinking. Can't lend it out. If someone in your house wants to play, they have to be logged in as you. If you bring it to work and show it to someone, you have to be logged in as you, etc. It's DRM gone berserk. If they're going to be so restrictive, just go digital only like PC and be done with it. But you better damn well put at least a 1TB drive in that thing and not charge me $60 goddamned dollars a pop.

entremet

Good luck with that. You really think 3rd parties are going to release titles on WiiU if every other platform has things locked down? They've abandoned Nintendo consoles for far less.

Don't disagree with you on the PC part, but PCs have already adopted this strategy and there is no used game market. The major difference being that the variable pricing structure makes the loss of second hand markets manageable. It Sony and MS don't adopt this strategy (and they sure haven't so far with DD exclusives), then it's going to be an epic disaster for the console market.

EDIT: Guess you were referring to B/C. Still, the sentiment remains. If MS and Sony both adopt this, 3rd parties will drop the Wii U in a flash unless they get on board with the program.

That's what PC is for. For the 3rd parties. Sony and MS 1st party output bores me for the most part.

Elios83

It all makes sense to me.
We're at a point where rumors are converging. All the three manufacturers are unhappy with losing millions of dollars to Gamestop... and they're kinda right although it sucks that you can't directly sell/lend a game to a friend.
Hardware specs seems right, X86 CPU, top of the line GPU of 2012 in late 2013. I only hope for 4GB of total memory and PS3 support through software emulation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It all makes sense to me.
We're at a point where rumors are converging. All the three manufacturers are unhappy with losing millions of dollars to Gamestop... and they're kinda right although it sucks that you can't directly sell/lend a game to a friend.
Hardware specs seems right, X86 CPU, top of the line GPU of 2012 in late 2013. I only hope for 4GB of total memory and PS3 support through software emulation.

They're not too unhappy. They keep setting up promotions with the company.

MrDaravon

My only issue with the used games prevention thing is that if this is true it locks it to a single PSN account, which is a no-go for me because me and my wife often play the same games but have our own accounts, so fuck that. If they want to lock it to the console I have no problem with that.

As far as PS3 BC goes didn't everyone see that coming? I've seen that thrown around as pretty much a fact now given how pretty much all the PS4 rumors have them ditching the cell, making any sort of BC probably nightmarish.

I see big court battles looming if they really go ahead with this anti-used games model.

GameStop, Gamefly, and the rest of the rental market are too big to take this laying down.

I've always felt the industry rides the legal line on price fixing anyway. It would be nice to see someone with the time and money take some of the issues to court.

Well it'd be a short battle.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
RwpWW.jpg

I loved this stuff, wish they still sold it.

The pastebin is obviously bullshit. There is no i7 with even close to 1.2 TFLOPS. Then the 32 bit CPU for the PS4 ...

I also call bullshit on the kotaku always online thing, cause that would instantly kill a certain amount of their potential customers. And if Ms wouldn't do the same thing, who would buy a PS4 then?

The PS4 having no hard drive is pushing me towards thinking the pastbin (at least the part about the specs) is either outdated or bullshit. Sony have been the biggest pusher for digital content. If they are going as far as using a Southern Island GPU, why not throw in a hard drive?

Yeah the more I think about the pastebin specs the more it comes off as BS. Clearly the CPU for 720 can't be 1.2 tflops, and PS4 prob won't have a 32-bit CPU. Also the hard drive. It's obvious the guy who leaked that is pro-Xbox with everything about the 720 being way better than PS4.

He got the codenames right tho so idk what's going on.

I don't want any of this to be the case, honestly, but I'd rather have Steamworks on the back end than something Sony might come up with. Doesn't seem possible, though.

Not the same type of discount you see on the PC, but there are still plenty of sales which see recent games drop below the $20 mark. Of course, in those cases, you receive a physical disc which holds more value to me than something digital. I actually buy most of my new PC titles in boxes anyways and only resort to Steam for its sales which are indeed very good.

I'm not sure those types of sales across all platforms would be healthy for the industry, though.

Cool thing about Steam that not alot of people know about/care about. You can burn backups of the games you've downloaded to DVD. Steam, Let's Get Physical™

luffeN

Can someone alter a pastebin article and include the code names without it being noted on the pastebin link? Or did anyone read the pastebin article at that time and can confirm that the code names were already in?

Cru Jones

They're not too unhappy. They keep setting up promotions with the company.

So? What relevance does this have to whether or not they're happy about the used games market? You don't think companies that don't really like each other don't do business together? Apple buys Samsung screens, Microsoft has office for Mac's, etc.

Nizz

I also really hope that I can play a game offline after an initial "disc check" or whatever process. To have to be connected online even for a single player game is bull.

z0m3le

Banned
I'm a little confused here.

Also, Sony jumping on the 4K resolution is absolutely ridiculous. That seems like a complete waste of a feature. There's absolutely no way those TVs are anywhere close to mainstream by the end of NEXT generation.

It's called Eyeinfinity, the HD5000 series could display up to 6 1080p imagines at once, it's actually surprising that they stop at the resolution they do, this is actually most likely for 3D purposes and not for a single displayed imagine.

Top Bottom