• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Zomba13

I hope it's more that some extra additions require the subscription and, at worst, you can still watch Netflix and stuff without a subscription. It'd seriously be bullshit if they take one of Microsoft's worst policies and slap it on, when every other fucking device lets me do it for free. I could see however them keeping premium, don't-need-another-subscription services to PS World while the ones that DO require a subscription can go without.

If they do pull that bullshit then looks like the Wii U would be the best for the added online feature stuff. Miiverse, Netflix, other streaming, Multiplyer etc, all free (excluding subscriptions you pay to access third party services like Netflix).

Unless PS world or whatever is just renamed PS+ then it's bullshit. I'd probably still pay for PS+ on PS4 if I still get games each month but if they make it a seperate thing (PS+ = free games and discounts, PS world = online multiplayer and services) then count me out. I guess I'd just play multi on my PC and Wii U.

Smartglass and LIVE: The future.

Let the meltdowns begin.

iyNKhjCPJLQQO.gif

$429 would probably mean around £350-£370 in the UK?

That would definetly mean launch day purchase.

I just hope online remains free and the premium charge is for additional features, which is what I expect.

Spongebob

Banned
$429/529 for a system which includes:

-7850 Level GPU
-8 tablet level CPU cores

Sony haven't learned their lesson and if they choose to go anti-used, then for me Sony can FUCK off.

Duxxy3

Over $399 and payed online?

Nope. I would just stick with my PC at that point. Upgrade my video card and memory in 2014 instead.

Sony can't charge for PSN right now because people would laugh. So if they're going to charge for it next gen, you have to think they have a pretty good reason for thinking people (non fanboys) will pay. Perhaps we'll hear about those reasons tomorrow.

Liamario

Banned
529$, I can't see that going down to well. I also doubt Sony has any idea of pricing at this point anyways.
499 is going to be the max and even that is too high.

I skipped on PS3.. Was willing to get PS4 with my 720 but if $500 . + $29 is the case it'll REALLY be difficult for me to justify a purchase..

$399.99 for both max imo.. I think MS might be at $399 max, gotta see what Sony does.

I don't understand how 30 bucks is such a bid deal. Especially for core gamers who want the best pack.

This is a box that needs to last at least 5 years!

Trevelyon

They should continue to beef up the fantastic Plus service, perhaps even tier with Gaikai BC. But online, friends should continue to be absolutely free. Best of both playstation worlds.

FrankT

I wonder if they'll cash in and put multiplayer under the premium subscription.

What a bizarro world it would be if MS did the opposite, but I still see MS charging for it.

Been going strong since 2002 and I see no reason why they change course at this point. Potentially a $1 billion a year business at this point.

Hanmik

just because they post a new picture of the controller doesn't mean the rest is true. i hope the source isn't the guy who claimed to be raided by police on twitter earlier today..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's a pretty bad price man, reeks of overpricedness (but of course for what you get it might not be the case but most people wont swallow that)

And I hardly think nowadays people are willing to plunk down $400 for a bare bones system.

I can't imagine there'll be much in the difference between the two systems. A big hard disk vs a huge hard disk will probably be the key difference.

I got a 20GB PS3 and I think I'll probably be getting the $400 PS4.

$529 + 1 $70 extra controller = ???

Seriously though, sounds good, and like things that will at least keep them in the conversation with the xbox when it comes to ocnsumers shopping for a media centre, even if none of the phone stuff appeals to me.

As for paying for online, eh. I pay for live already, it's not like I'm suddenly going to pay for both. I'll still only pay for the one machine my friends play on, and ignore the other's online, whether it's free or not.

Those triggers look a bit too buttony to me, but at least better than the dual shock 3. Still wish they'd move the left stick up. Good report over all though. I'll pay $429, but that's going to sink at launch unless they have a stellar line up ready.

EvB

Sony can't charge for PSN right now because people would laugh. So if they're going to charge for it next gen, you have to think they have a pretty good reason for thinking people (non fanboys) will pay. Perhaps we'll hear about those reasons tomorrow.

Of course they will pay, if 25 million subscribers pay for Xbox live, why won't even just a few million pay for PSN.

Maybe they will call it the Playstation 180

It's not going to be $429. That's a stupid price. No one charges $429. It will be $399 or $449. Probably the former.

Also, the article doesn't say they are charging for online play, just that most online features will be part of the premium paid subscription now. It doesn't mention online play as being in that most. In fact since they say "most" and not "all" it means that some features remain free, and that probably includes online play. It's too big of a feature, and with low PS+ churn (something like 95% of people who subscribe to a three month pack buy at least a further three months) rebranding and making it a more prominent part of the PS4 will give big revenues.

Sony, I don't care if you have a subscription model but online play NEEDS to be free. Its the biggest thing they have against XBL. Don't fuck this up.

I would've bet they'd go full out premium with their next online service. Microsoft has shown there's a solid business for it with people willing to pay a monthly fee to play online: they'd be crazy to miss on such an opportunity to make more moneys.

Kyoufu

I'm not paying for online multiplayer.

I don't see them doing that for PS4 when PS3 and Vita do not charge you. I think they'll just add more features to PS+.

Also $429 and $529 don't make much sense and how would pricing be known so soon? I have my suspicions on Kotaku's "source".

If it's all true however... :'(

Going to go out on a limb and say the playstation world thing is just a rebranding and will include things like Gaikai, music unlimited, and more. However, it won't be required for online play.

Ricker

Guess we will find out tomorrow...this makes sense though and so does the price,although if it's like the launch PS3,add 50 bucks more for us Canucks...getting a little expensive...I need to know more,like launch titles,what will be exclusive,HDD size etc etc before iI want to get it day one...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
First pic of the triggers to?

Too hard to be suspicious of non-spec info, it comes down to business decisions which are made at the top and don't trickle down that quickly. Who could the insider be, not that douche who raided by the cops right? He kinds seems to hate Sony.

Most of it reads like previous rumors with a negative slant, but tomorrow should clear it all up.

The money they'll make from charging for online > the number of console owners they'll lose.
Most of the people will end up buying the console for single player anyways.

CREMSteve

Playstation World is redundant.

You already have PlayStation Network. Just combine the perks of PS+ into it, charge for that and call it PSN.

As for the price, I'm fine with it. The higher the price, the better the specs. Sell me a $1000 beast of a gaming machine, Sony.

My wife will understand.

Raptor

another new controller shot?

$400 max, Sony

Agreed, any more than that and I will be waiting for a price drop.

I don't mind paying for that online service, I already do it with the xbox so why not with the PS4 but they have to have all the Features Live has to even consider it.

Bullza2o

If Sony starts charging for online, I'm not going to consider PS4 even for a bit. That would solidify my Wii U purchase this year.

If Sony is smart they will price the PS4 at 399.99 with one SKU. But Sony is not smart so... :-(

I'm also hoping they keep Netflix, Hulu, and online gaming free and just charge for the cloud saving/gaming and auto updating etc

Top Bottom