• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Bio

If this somehow resulted in me being able to just play already released games like say, Bloodborne and Witcher 3, but with a higher framerate I would be so in. but something tells me that won't be a factor.

Lady Gaia

People threatening to quit the hobby over this, good Lord so dramatic.

That's privilege for you. If you've always been able to afford a new console every 5-7 years and now it's starting to look like someone else might be able to get one every 3 years you're suddenly hard done by? Never a thought for the less fortunate who has historically skipped generations or stayed a generation behind to keep costs under control.

If the plan really is to require every title to support both the PS4 and PS4K until the PS5 comes out I think it's actually fairly promising. I can even see a more graceful transition to the PS5 generation with cross gen titles, but that's way down the road.

Threatening to change hobbies is equally entertaining. If you don't like the comparison to phones, TVs, and cars you're going to love the reality that cameras, musical instruments, woodworking equipment, and everything else imaginable is just as much an endless series of trade-offs where you can't simply buy the very best without an endless budget.

The God

"I won't have the most powerful console anymore? I'm moving to PC!"

So you're moving to a platform in which "most powerful" changes frequently over the course of a few years due to you getting mad that a console (that was already outdated at launch) is getting a better version 3-4 years later?

Those people are probably saying that because they don't see the point in iterative consoles that don't have PC advantages.

Ushay

It's still the PS4 just with offloading power for up rendering to 4K

Amazing isn't it, how many people can't seem to digest this fact. The previous consoles are still very much viable for the rest of the 'gen' .. E3 could go horribly wrong if the messaging ain't right.

Or we do not know the details yet. If there is a performance/asset gain to the games that are played on the PS4, then there will be a 'noticeable' difference.

Maybe all released PS4 games will see their resolution increased to 4K thanks to the console rendering buffer but not all will witness such upgrade in assets, graphical effects and FPS because this will require the intervention of the devs themselves to add such features. i suspect only upcoming games and maybe Sony previous First Party games will get such treatment .

I don't think there's going to be a next generation. In my opinion the PS4 is going to be constantly updated until Sony can drop '4' and just call their console 'Playstation'.

I was thinking about this this morning. I think Sony might have a bit of a naming problem on their hands if this goes ahead.

Playstation 5 brings up images of generational shift and the old model being discontinued.
Playstation 4.5 brings up images of customer segregation, the haves and have-nots, and questions on compatibility once Playstation 5 hits.

They need to focus on the brand 'Playstation' and the earlier the better. I think a original model year in brackets would differentiate specs enough.

So instead of Playstation 4K or Playstation 4.5, which brings up images of a Playstation 4 generation, they should go with Playstation (2016). And then release a price reduced PS4 under the name Playstation (2013).

So we'll have a choice of...

Playstation (2016) @ £349 - graphically enhanced version
Playstation (2013) @ £199 - standard version

Then on PS5 launch switch to...

Playstation (2019) @ £349 - graphically enhanced version
Playstation (2016) @ £199 - standard version (previous graphically enhanced version)

This way Sony can tell devs - "you must support Playstations from year 20xx onwards", and devs can print on the boxes "For Playstation (year) and above".

And everyone knows whats going on, no one is confused, and the focus is on Playstation as ongoing brand rather than specific models and console generations.

disclaimer - I'm obviously making assumptions as to release years, prices, on going model support, and cross-generational game support.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe all released PS4 games will see their resolution increased to 4K thanks to the console rendering buffer but not all will witness such upgrade in assets, graphical effects and FPS because this will require the intervention of the devs themselves to add such features. i suspect only upcoming games and maybe Sony previous First Party games will get such treatment .

Previous titles, no, well maybe GTAV will get an update, it is still charting every month, lol.

But the titles to come out after, I can see them having more bells and whistles if played on the PS4K.

I don't think there's going to be a next generation. In my opinion the PS4 is going to be constantly updated until Sony can drop '4' and just call their console 'Playstation'.

I can see this way down the road, welcome to games as a service future.

I still think they will go PS5, then PS5+,s,etc.. The brand is too potent with the number iterations at the moment. People still need to see this first, lol...

ps9-348x196.jpg

Jingo

I was thinking about this this morning. I think Sony might have a bit of a naming problem on their hands if this goes ahead.

Playstation 5 brings up images of generational shift and the old model being discontinued.
Playstation 4.5 brings up images of customer segregation, the haves and have-nots, and questions on compatibility once Playstation 5 hits.

They need to focus on the brand 'Playstation' and the earlier the better. I think a original model year in brackets would differentiate specs enough.

So instead of Playstation 4K or Playstation 4.5, which brings up images of a Playstation 4 generation, they should go with Playstation (2016). And then release a price reduced PS4 under the name Playstation (2013).

So we'll have a choice of...

Playstation (2016) @ £349 - graphically enhanced version
Playstation (2013) @ £199 - standard version

Then on PS5 launch switch to...

Playstation (2019) @ £349 - graphically enhanced version
Playstation (2016) @ £199 - standard version (previous graphically enhanced version)

This way Sony can tell devs - "you must support Playstations from year 20xx onwards", and devs can print on the boxes "For Playstation (year) and above".

And everyone knows whats going on, no one is confused, and the focus is on Playstation as ongoing brand rather than specific models and console generations.

disclaimer - I'm obviously making assumptions as to release years, prices, on going model support, and cross-generational game support.
Just like:
Iphone 4
Iphone 4s
Iphone 5
Iphone 5 s
Iphone 6
Iphone 6s
Iphone ....

They sell anyway and i think its ridiculous how little spaced they are, totally giving the idea they hold back power to release it in the next version.

M3Freak

Banned
All I going to say is - I called it and I love being right ;)

I'm not buying another PS4 - fuck that bullshit.

I'm not buying a new 4K tv - fuck that bullshit.

If the difference in power between the two consoles is big enough that I, a hardcore gamer, would notice, I will cry many tears and enter clinical depression. But, I still won't get the fucking thing.

sense

Big enough to 'change their mind' and jump into the PC upgrade cycle though, ;).

my reply was more tongue in cheek aimed at the person i was quoting. i am definitely interested in a ps4.5 and was speculating sony would release a more powerful ps4 way before kotaku reported it and many were against it and said it would not be a good idea including the cough: quoted person cough: in my previous post. now that more information has come out and phil spencer talked about his UWP, this person has suddenly "changed" his mind and can see that this could be a good idea all in the span of 3 months.

i agree that it is crazy to see some say they are going PC because of this tho lol where cards with better performance release almost every year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
my reply was more tongue in cheek aimed at the person i was quoting. i am definitely interested in a ps4.5 and was speculating sony would release a more powerful ps4 way before kotaku reported it and many were against it and said it would not be a good idea including the cough: quoted person cough: in my previous post. now that more information has come out and phil spencer talked about his UWP, this person has suddenly "changed" his mind and can see that this could be a good idea all in the span of 3 months.

i agree that it is crazy to see some say they are going PC because of this tho lol where cards with better performance release almost every year.

Oh I know, I was just adding to it, lol. Sorry.

And yes, I agree. I am starting to warm up to this if they do it right. So far this gen, they have been firing correctly, *knocks on wood*.

Stop being so confrontational, and sense the obvious lightheartedness of that particular comment. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you and your short fuse?
I think I was just in a bad mood when I said that. There are worse things I could've said but I didn't mean to come off as confrontational.

Console generations are going to change. Gone are the days when a console would be an affordable way to get high-end gaming hardware that holds up well for years on end. These things are going to be dated in far shorter periods of time, and with the oh-so evident demand for better graphics, there's little choice but to release on a shorter cycle. Incremental upgrades prevent older revisions becoming immediately irrelevant and unable to play new games, so it's a better solution than short generations for those that don't want to upgrade very often.
You're right, console generations are going to change, but this is one change I'm not going to embrace.
You should probably become less married to the idea of fixed 'generations' of consoles, especially since MS & Sony moved to x86 architectures which allow for this kind of incremental build model.
I certainly won't get married to the idea of having to buy more hardware of the same damn platform in the same generation, no.

I think I was just in a bad mood when I said that. There are worse things I could've said but I didn't mean to come off as confrontational.

You're right, console generations are going to change, but this is one change I'm not going to embrace.
I certainly won't get married to the idea of having to buy more hardware of the same damn platform in the same generation, no.

Then don't. Simple as that. Your current console isnt going to be obsolete overnight. Upgrade when you want to.

Lowenbrau

Neo Member
Its bad enough every year we have an inferior tv and cell phone. Now console generations are going to be chopped up into yearly updates? Maybe if there was an affordable replaceable part that was the main focus of the upgrade, or if Sony said ok send in your ps4's and 100 dollars for this new hardware.

But this, if true, is just total bs. Plays into MS hands too as they have more money for constant iteration hardware upgrade RnD and other related expenses.

Nintendo screwed up. MS slipped up. Sony Playstation cleaned up.

But if this happens, thats it Im done.

I hope Pokemon Go and other real world immersion games do well. Ill play them. I''ve gotten sick of console wars destroying gaming. Aww F it maybe Ive just grown out of games.

Then don't. Simple as that. Your current console isnt going to be obsolete overnight. Upgrade when you want to.
I said several times in this thread that the upgrade time should only be when the generation ends. That's seemingly no longer the case so this is just the end for me. No more upgrading period.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Great news. If what the leaks say is true, and Sony/MSFT/Nintendo are smart with the message and how they do it, then you do not have to. Much like a Tablet, TV, PC, or Phone.

But if it goes the other way of the concern, then I would not be too thrilled either.

I said several times in this thread that the upgrade time should only be when the generation ends. That's seemingly no longer the case so this is just the end for me. No more upgrading period.

You can still treat it as that, lol. Just skip the 's' model (as early adopter), or only jump in on the 's' revisions.

You don't have to is the thing. It's an option. Until there are enough things that you feel you are missing out on, there is no reason to upgrade your console. I dont upgrade my GPU for my PC yearly even though there are yearly releases and I could afford it. If the upgraded PS4 allows for higher fidelity VR, I'll probably by it. Otherwise, I won't and will wait out for PS5. However, I don't reject the idea outright because it's an option. Nothing is being forced on you as the consume.

rjinaz

Its bad enough every year we have an inferior tv and cell phone. Now console generations are going to be chopped up into yearly updates? Maybe if there was an affordable replaceable part that was the main focus of the upgrade, or if Sony said ok send in your ps4's and 100 dollars for this new hardware.

But this, if true, is just total bs. Plays into MS hands too as they have more money for constant iteration hardware upgrade RnD and other related expenses.

Nintendo screwed up. MS slipped up. Sony Playstation cleaned up.

But if this happens, thats it Im done.

I hope Pokemon Go and other real world immersion games do well. Ill play them. I''ve gotten sick of console wars destroying gaming. Aww F it maybe Ive just grown out of games.

Yearly is a bit of an exaggeration I'd say. One console upgrade in a span of 5-6 years is downright reasonable. I mean I get that the old ways of doing things is coming to an end, but your traditional way of gaming stays the same, you can pretend the new version doesn't even exist and be happy if you must, and if you don't have a 4k tv it pretty much doesn't anyway more or less.

spwolf

Its bad enough every year we have an inferior tv and cell phone. Now console generations are going to be chopped up into yearly updates?

If by yearly you mean every 3-4 years sure, i wish they would do that.... Nobody is talking yearly because there couldnt be enough changes in a year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If by yearly you mean every 3-4 years sure, i wish they would do that.... Nobody is talking yearly because there couldnt be enough changes in a year.

Yeah, I do not understand the 'yearly' concern. It would cost too much for manufacturers.

3-4 years seems more inline, and matches game development cycles better.

androvsky

Last gen started in 2005, 2006 if you were on Playstation. It's 2016 now. If the 360/PS3 generation was a normal length, we'd be due for PS5 this year anyway.

THE:MILKMAN

Amazing isn't it, how many people can't seem to digest this fact. The previous consoles are still very much viable for the rest of the 'gen' .. E3 could go horribly wrong if the messaging ain't right.

Sony (and MS) now have a leak that has providing them valuable user feedback 3 months before E3 that enables them to come up with a great message.

duhmetree

I still hope this has HBM1 in it..

If there's no HBM in this update... We will see PS5 in a year or most likely two.. When HBM2 will be more affordable...

onQ123

All these rage & concern posts are funny what are you mad at? you don't have to upgrade but if the upgrade is so good that it's killing you not to have it then it must be worth the money to you that it would cost you so you should upgrade lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah.......wasn't it said by someone at Kotaku that they overheard devs at GDC openly discussing PS4K in the corridors? Sounded pretty ridiculous but if "accidentally on purpose"..

If true, then yeah, lol.

All these rage & concern posts are funny what are you mad at? you don't have to upgrade but if the upgrade is so good that it's killing you not to have it then it must be worth the money to you that it would cost you so you should upgrade lol.

How I am starting to look at it now.

I agree with some of that but Sony won't want to mark any game as date specific. They'll want the ecosystem to be brand specific. A game will just be a game that plays on them all.

I agree but the consumer needs some way of knowing whether their particular model has been retired. They can't support the PS4 forever, much like Apple no longer supports iPhone 4, the earliest now is the iPhone 4S.

I suppose the other option is to do the Apple/Android approach and shift focus to the OS revision number. You need Playstation OS 6.5+ to play this game, sorry OG PS4 owners we're not updating your firmware beyond Playstation OS 5.1...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
With half the system memory?

It is all about the bandwidth and CU's now.

The dividends, Macri said, are radical. A GDDR5 chip, today, for example will support a 32-bit-wide memory bus with up to 7GBps of bandwidth. A single stack of HBM RAM supports a 1,024-bit-wide bus and more than 125GBps of memory bandwidth

I do not see them going that route due to cost mostly (it would not make sense). I see them sticking with the cheaper GDDR5 and then HDM2 by the time the PS5 comes around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Especially if this is something built just around 4k. If you don't have a 4k TV, it'll likely be irrelevant to you.

EagleEyes

Sony (and MS) now have a leak that has providing them valuable user feedback 3 months before E3 that enables them to come up with a great message.
As a big Xbox fan I can say with certainty that didn't work in 2013 for Microsoft. They got lots of user feedback before they unveiled the Xbox One and decided to stick with the original message. :(

jeffram

How dare they take advantage of technological breakthroughs to make a product I want and that provides a good value!

Lol, you already have gotten usage out of it. While others have had to or chose to wait. Why should you be rewarded for enjoying it while others miserably wait?

Any piece of technology you buy today is obsolete tomorrow and worthless the moment you walk out the store. It's no different for a Playstation, a car, computer, or even a car.
I just bought one this Christmas :(

Those people are probably saying that because they don't see the point in iterative consoles that don't have PC advantages.

But they'll have new iterative console advantages. The console will still be a known quantity with locked hardware. There we'll just be three specs to code for. Spec old. Spec current. Spec future.

duhmetree

Even then.. 4GB HBM should be more than enough for consoles over the next 2-3 years.. especially with a much better cpu and gpu. Bandwidth is one of the biggest issues at the moment.

Like I said, I'm holding out for improved tech from AMD/SKhynix that would utilize more than 4GB HBM but we'll see..

QaaQer

Especially if this is something built just around 4k [media consumption].

Isn't that pretty much confirmed now that the $399 price point has been 'leaked', as well as the keeping of the 1080p version on the shelves? You aren't getting 4k rendering at $399.

You don't have to is the thing. It's an option. Until there are enough things that you feel you are missing out on, there is no reason to upgrade your console. I dont upgrade my GPU for my PC yearly even though there are yearly releases and I could afford it. If the upgraded PS4 allows for higher fidelity VR, I'll probably by it. Otherwise, I won't and will wait out for PS5. However, I don't reject the idea outright because it's an option. Nothing is being forced on you as the consume.

Absolutely 100% my feelings if Sony are really going the iterative route and this ps4k thing is not a one off.
Only thing I won't be happy is if they release this year. It will be too expensive for the average customer if they find both ps4k and psvr compelling.
2017 will be a much better time to release it.

There will soon be a big push for 4K video, so I can see Sony wanting the use the Playstation as a device to help saturate the market much like they did with the PS3 and Bluray. I don't forsee 4K gaming to come out until at least the PS5 hits.

What Sony should be doing is leaving the gaming aspect alone on the PS4 and make a new system called the PS4K. This would make it 4K compatible for the new ultra 4K Bluray format and a new Slim model all-in-one..

The God

But they'll have new iterative console advantages. The console will still be a known quantity with locked hardware. There we'll just be three specs to code for. Spec old. Spec current. Spec future.

That doesn't really sound like an advantage. If consoles are going the iterative route, I can totally understand why someone would jump to PC gaming instead.

Bgamer90

Banned

That would make sense (comparing the positives and negatives).

Doing it just because you aren't "the best" and nothing more seems silly to me if you are a console gamer as long as you are continuing to get the same support thanks to compatibility in my opinion.

Now, it would definitely be an understandable opinion to have if there were PS4.5 exclusives out of the gate. I think Sony's smart enough not to do that though.

my reply was more tongue in cheek aimed at the person i was quoting.

Yes, that's pretty obvious. Still not sure what your "beef" is but I still find it hilarious. Your previous shot was inaccurate (i.e.: you thinking my thoughts were due to a particular company) as you can see by my various posts in this thread so I'm guessing that you had to struggle a bit for something to say.

Also, I don't have much interest in PC gaming either so I was never in that group. ::shrug::

Top Bottom