• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought it was the the expectation you could to do one character through it all or why make a big deal about it?

The context was essentially that they had signed Bungie as a 10 year exclusive development partner, which they were using to assure investors after Infinity Ward had completely imploded a short period before.

VariantX

All I want to know is whether or not they can make and iterate on content at a faster pace than before. Shook my head at what they called expansions in year 1 vs. year 2 and beyond.

Spinluck

Hard for me to touch Destiny now after experiencing the fluidity and snappiness of 60fps shooters

Will prepare myself for 30fps, hope it turns out playing great like the first game.

Gray Matter

Honestly this isn't a surprise, it seems people are enjoying destiny more than ever, even after all the backlash/hate it got during the first few months after launch.

More player=more money.

I'll give it a shot once they prove they can create content to support the game. It sounds like what Destiny should have been, so they have a lot of catching up to do.

Matticers

I can't see how they would let people carry their characters over. What would they carry over? They aren't letting you bring your OP weapons with you. Destiny is all about the grind. They want you to waste hundreds of hours grinding away in the game. They get annoyed with the players when they find a way to cheese something or find a way to make the grind easy. Will they let you carry over your character's looks? Maybe, probably. But who cares since it's usually covered by armor anyway and there's little attachment to a character's looks in this game, in my opinion.

I think it will definitely be a reset for the characters. They'll want everyone to start fresh on an even playing field. But I'm sure you'll get some kind of reward if you played the first game. Maybe they'll be going with all new weapons but they'll carry over the Gjallarhorn or something if you owned it in the first game. Something like that.

I really don't think there's much of a reason to be mad about a character reset, in my opinion. I'm more focused on them building upon the first game to make the next bigger and better. And include more of that story/lore in the game to get people more invested into the story.

RPGam3r

Great news leave all my stupid gear behind, give me a fresh start. They will make it all pointless anyway like most expansions do anyway.

psyfi

Banned
I can't say I'm hopeful. Bungie has a long history of highly questionable gameplay decisions, going as far back as Halo 3. Reach and Destiny -- Bungie's last two games -- were especially rife with issues. I hope they learn from their mistakes with Destiny, but also I fear Bungie just isn't the house of geniuses it once was.

That's a lot of devs to make a game that will almost surely prove to be culturally inconsequential, and of little artistic gravitas. But folks need jobs which is great, i just hope they have some reasonable degree of proper employment. And not games industry reasonable, normal people reasonable.

Gator86

I can't see how they would let people carry their characters over. What would they carry over? They aren't letting you bring your OP weapons with you. Destiny is all about the grind. They want you to waste hundreds of hours grinding away in the game. Will they let you carry over your character's looks? Maybe, probably. But who cares since it's usually covered by armor anyway and there's little attachment to a character's looks in this game, in my opinion.

I think it will definitely be a reset for the characters. They'll want everyone to start fresh on an even playing field. But I'm sure you'll get some kind of reward if you played the first game. Maybe they'll be going with all new weapons but they'll carry over the Gjallarhorn or something if you owned it in the first game. Something like that.

Destiny doesn't have to be such a disastrous grind though. I always assumed it turned out this way because of a rough development cycle and Bungie's shit-ass tools. D2 could be a game that doesn't rely on 925 currency types and hours of running the same missions.

Lingitiz

That's a lot of devs to make a game that will almost surely prove to be culturally inconsequential, and of little artistic gravitas. But folks need jobs which is great, i just hope they have some reasonable degree of proper employment. And not games industry reasonable, normal people reasonable.
If people enjoy the game that's all that should matter to the team. Destiny isn't exactly aiming to give commentary on the human condition or anything like that. It's a fun action shooter.

Destiny 2 will need to be a completely different game to pull me back in. Invoking diablo 1 -> diablo 2 is a lot to live up to.

Nzyme32

If it indeed is making major changes and a deviation from Destiny 2, then I am much more intrigued and looking forward to more info. Really wasn't a fan of what I played in Destiny.

SilentRob

In April, according to several sources, Bungie had a staff reorganization. During this process, The Taken King director Luke Smith and executive producer Mark Noseworthy became, respectively, director and executive producer of Destiny 2. They rebooted the story that had been written up to that point. A number of veteran Bungie staffers also left the studio around that time.

Wait. They rebooted the story after what was probably 1, maybe 2 years of work yet AGAIN? I guess it's better doing it 1 1/2 years before release compared to the 1 year that Destiny 1 had but...uh...didn't that already prove to be utterly destructive with the first game?

It's good that characters aren't going to carry over. Let it be a huge rehaul.

Plus, it doesn't really matter given how little of our gear carries over from expansion to expansion.

Matticers

Destiny doesn't have to be such a disastrous grind though. I always assumed it turned out this way because of a rough development cycle and Bungie's shit-ass tools. D2 could be a game that doesn't rely on 925 currency types and hours of running the same missions.

It certainly shouldn't be such a grind since this isn't a monthly fee game. But they're not showing any signs of moving away from it for some reason. I guess it's their way of keeping players engaged long term and not moving onto other games too quickly which is shitty. Unless they give us an amazing amount of content in Destiny 2, I fully expect a similar type of grind fest to return. But it really does suck trying to level up with the way it is currently.

If it indeed is making major changes and a deviation from Destiny 2, then I am much more intrigued and looking forward to more info. Really wasn't a fan of what I played in Destiny.

Hopefully they're taking a hard look at everything down to basic combat/enemy AI, loot, classes/skills, and exploration. Everything from the first game needs serious work.

SlickVic

It was never confirmed (as far as I know) that you would be able to keep the same character for the whole '10 year plan' of Destiny (though they did apparently confirm to IGN that "progress" would carry over), but this quote from Bungie's community manager David Dague back in 2014 made me hopeful that was the plan:

"The idea is that the Guardian you have created is something you can bring along with you on that adventure. If you take a look at the way people have played other games for a long period of time, they've had a relationship with the same character for a very long time."

Source

Kind of a bummer if they changed their mind (for me at least) as I think some of the lasting appeal of games like this is to get to the end of a many year journey, look back and realize 'that's been my character through it all'. It's one of my favorite aspects of a series like Mass Effect, and going through 3 games as the same Commander Shepard.

I understand if they don't want to be restricted by older weapons, classes, and mechanics that they don't want to bring into the sequel, but I honestly wouldn't mind just bringing in my character only, and having them manufacture whatever plot excuse they need to contrive to wipe the rest of the slate clean (i.e. each Mass Effect game would let you choose your class and weapons from scratch after character import).

Though having said that, it also does also make me wonder with how much enthusiasm I'll play through the rest of Rise of Iron repeatable content, knowing I may very well be losing this character next year anyways. I suppose the simple answer is 'when it stops being fun', which is how it should be anyways.

But I suppose if that's what really ends up happening, I hope this at least paves the way for a much more robust character creator in Destiny 2.

Wait. They rebooted the story after what was probably 1, maybe 2 years of work yet AGAIN? I guess it's better doing it 1 1/2 years before release compared to the 1 year that Destiny 1 had but...uh...didn't that already prove to be utterly destructive with the first game?

The Taken King had the far better story and assigned quests. If they thought the story needed to be remade, it needed to be remade. I have full confidence in them to know what they need to do.

Kind of the same/

TBH I dont care if they reset stats and guns. I just want to continue to play as my character from Day 1.

That seemed like the entire point of the grand 10 year plan of Destiny.

I never expected EVERYTHING to carry over game to game. I kind of expected something similar to carrying over your save from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2. You keep your appearance and a few small bonuses.
Yep, I'm fine with this. Let me bring my Warlock along for the ride but that doesn't mean I need all my gear. I'm fine leaving it behind for new stuff and maybe new versions of classic guns. And this is coming from someone who has been playing since the Alpha, so I definitely am attached to all my original Destiny things. My vault is still loaded with old raid gear, for example.

The bit about the way the new destinations work sounds awesome.

Mossybrew

Starting fresh with new characters is the only sensible move, regardless of what they've said in the past. Sure I've put a ton of hours into my current characters, but they've had their day and I'd look forward to new characters for a brand new experience.

I just hope they make more open areas. The whole "rooms connected by corridors" overall design just made the game feel small and constricted.

Foxxsoxx

Am I the only only one that gets worried when a 700+ team with multiple studios are working on a game? Some of the best games are made with the studios with smaller and mid sized teams that can all communicate with each other.

This is some RE6 and Assassin's Creed levels of people working on it and that's got to make it have an assembly line development cycle which usually doesn't work well and makes everything seem disjointed.

Am I the only only one that gets worried when a 600+ team with multiple studios are working on a game? That's some RE6 and Assassin's Creed levels of people working on it and that's got to make it have an assembly line development cycle which usually doesn't work well.
To be fair, the team sizes for those games are to churn out the games as quick as possible like a factory. This seems to be trying to take Destiny 2 in a bigger, more mmo-like direction. A bigger dev count makes sense for that. Time will tell, though!

Yup. Part of the reason I've been spending a lot of time trying to get shaders is because I thought all this was carrying over. If it doesn't, our guardians are created out of vain.
You played the game with your character and got hundreds of hours of entertainment out of it. I can understand the disappointment but live in reality.

Hopefully all these changes are true, especially about the world's and this game could turn out to be really great and massive. Keep the stellar gameplay but I don't mind if everything else is overhauled

Gator86

It certainly shouldn't be such a grind since this isn't a monthly fee game. But they're not showing any signs of moving away from it for some reason. I guess it's their way of keeping players engaged long term and not moving onto other games too quickly which is shitty. Unless they give us an amazing amount of content in Destiny 2, I fully expect a similar type of grind fest to return. But it really does suck trying to level up with the way it is currently.

They still don't seem to have learned the difference between good grind and bad grind, so I'm reasonably skeptical they'll be able to pull it off. I look forward to collecting copper tokens to convert into shimmering gizmos to hand over to the vendor for a golden mcguffin that has a chance of rolling an item I need for the Pluto raid.

I don't want the samey-same class homogenization the current game has. Forget the old toons, IMO.

I also hope as fuck they make honest to goodness content for the game and not the BS we've been getting. I'd also like to see a revamp of the decades old "grind" for a fresh, new take on carrot-and-stick progression. I want large, fleshed out open words, not mini hubs connected by corridors.

I also won't believe a fucking thing Bungie talks about the game. I'll wait a few months post-release when any potential dust settles and players are familiar with the game to ensure we don't get fucked over again.

If it pans out, I'll pick it up but as of right now I'm disinterested thanks to the first.

Amazing gameplay surrounded by hot garbage.

It's good that characters aren't going to carry over. Let it be a huge rehaul.

Plus, it doesn't really matter given how little of our gear carries over from expansion to expansion.
I'd rather have the likeness than the loot. Some of us put some thought into our Guardians looks as hey are our avatar into the Destiny universe. Having your character just be discarded, it feels like all the things we did didn't matter in the end. I'd like Destiny to be a coherent journey.

Blueblur1

Everything in the article sounds great. As fun as Destiny can be (before you finish all the content and the grind kicks in), I'm tired of the format already. A sequel could be refreshing with the same great combat with new structure to the world. I hope they also address the lack of raid matchmaking and/or grouping within the game as well. Let us opt into matchmaking partners for raids and the nightfall in a smart and easy way.

Great news leave all my stupid gear behind, give me a fresh start. They will make it all pointless anyway like most expansions do anyway.

Exactly

People worried about "losing their character" forget that they basically did this already with the Taken King reboot

Very little carried over

SilentRob

The Taken King had the far better story and assigned quests. If they thought the story needed to be remade, it needed to be remade. I have full confidence in them to know what they need to do.

That may sound harsh but...why? It seems to me like this is almost exactly the same thing they already did with Destiny 1 and we all know how that turned out. They threw the story out one year before release after they've been working on the game for several years already, changed the leadership and had to stitch together the already developed pieces into a shell of a plot to get ready for release.

This time they threw the story out one and a half years before release after they've been working on the game for several years already, changed the leadership and now have to get the game ready for release. Isn't this almost exactly the same? o0

Lingitiz

To be fair, the team sizes for those games are to churn out the games as quick as possible like a factory. This seems to be trying to take Destiny 2 in a bigger, more mmo-like direction. A bigger dev count makes sense for that. Time will tell, though!
It's the right move for a game that needs the amount of content as desperately as Destiny. That said there can't be much of the old Bungie culture still there that the Halo team of 100 or so once had.

Everything about this sounds fantastic including leaving old characters behind.

I've put over 300 hours into Destiny 1 and it doesn't bother me in the least I'll have to start over. Get rid of all that baggage and give me a fresh new start.

Can't wait to see this game unveiled. The concept of the planets having tows that you can get quests in etc. sounds perfect.

Top Bottom