• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

Trace

Banned
I would love to play it on PC simply because of 60FPS, but honestly I simply cannot give up on the community. DGAF community is mostly PS4 and I doubt that will change with Destiny 2....even if there are people who'd be interested in PC version due to the framerate advantage.

You almost never see your character, you do however see their armour...and there is enough variation between armour, weapons, emotes and shaders to personalise your character.

If you don't see how you can feel connected to that then I don't k ow what to say.

There's probably a larger portion of DGAF that would move from PS4 to PC than there is currently playing on Xbox One.

Falcker

Don't get this.

My stuff didn't carry over from Oblivion to Skyrim or from the Witcher 2 to 3.

I have to acquire a morphball in every metroid.

Every game ends eventually, why should destiny be different?
Because bungie specifically went out of their way to say they would?

Because last year during the end of "year one" they specifically gave items and said "in 10 years people will wonder how you obtained those items in the current game".

Because they sell cosmetics and other microtransactions for characters people believe will be with them for the entire journey?

What a crazy belief eh? Where on earth would these people get the idea that their stuff would carry over?

Blam

There's probably a larger portion of DGAF that would move from PS4 to PC than there is currently playing on Xbox One.

Yeah there's reason to believe that there is going to be a shitload of people playing the game.

Kalentan

Because last year during the end of "year one" they specifically gave items and said "in 10 years people will wonder how you obtained those items in the current game".

Because they sell cosmetics and other microtransactions for characters people believe will be with them for the entire journey?

What a crazy belief eh? Where on earth would these people get the idea that their stuff would carry over?

Nah, we're just entitled for wanting them to keep to their word.

Trace

Banned

Bungie:
“It just became the narrative. I mean, I drive a Honda Civic. I don’t know s**t about $500 million. A ten-year plan? It’s a ten-year partnership agreement. It has nothing to do with the development of the game proper. To think that somehow, before Destiny had shipped, we had some ten-year plan written down somewhere? It’s comical. We allowed the narrative to get constructed that Bungie is just a corporate entity and not a bunch of humans, a collection of people who are just trying to make a really great game.”

Deadstar

Destiny 2 on PC would open up not only an entire DGAF community for those who were only playing on console because it wasn't available on PC, but those who don't play console at all.

I think our PC communities are decently sized.

Well ideally you can log into your character whether it's on console or pc. That would be the ideal way to do it. Just keep the character saved on the server so that no tampering can happen and let me play wherever I want.

EL CUCO

its a bungie game, it'll never happen
It hurts.
That's hardly the elephant in the room.

Look up what games achieve 60fps on console and draw your own conclusions.
I know there arent many but just thinking shooters off the top of my head: Battlefront is arguably one of the best looking shooters on console and holds a solid 60fps, Battlefield, Call of Duty has been looking better and maintaining 60, Titanfall 2.

Unless they're making some amazing visuals with a huge scope in Destiny 2, I dont see why a targeted 60fps wouldn't be a priority for Bungie. It would make its great gameplay into amazing.

Let me dream.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given ATVI has had to put VV on this, and we've seen the reports before on troubles with Bungie's development pipeline.

As said earlier in the thread, much of this sounds quite conceptual for a game a year out, and seeing as they love their annualised franchises, I can't imagine ATVI is very happy with them =/
With the death of the licensed games business and the decline of Skylanders, the Activision part of Activision Blizzard has basically nothing going for them outside of CoD, so they're probably not too upset given Destiny is on an upward trajectory.

Yes. A few of Saturn's moons.

There's been talk of space flight gameplay, but that would be at a future point, like a Destiny 3 or 4. It's definitely been talked about. Turning the ship into an extension of the guardian. Right now it just serves a cosmetic purpose - they are definitely exploring ways to expand on that.
That's unfortunate. But at least it's been talked about

nOoblet16

So basically 5 people then.

I still doubt anyone who has deeply integrated into that community will move to PC though, even if they are primarily a PC gamer. It just means you'll have to stop playing with a considerable amount of people you've been playing with for years.

The 10 year plan has been scrapped and restructured. You guys know that right? There was the leak before of what they were planning for release before Destiny 2(When it was supposed to be released this year originally), and alot of that stuff was moved around or scrapped.

Like...you saying 'Well bungie said we would keep our characters' when they've already restructured what their plan is...is a bit silly? LIke, alot of people have left Bungie since that was said.

is that the new battleground now? "Bungie HAS to let us keep our characters!".

For that reason alone, I want them to force the players to make new characters.

GlamFM

Banned
It hurts.

I know there arent many but just thinking shooters off the top of my head: Battlefront is arguably one of the best looking shooters on console and holds a solid 60fps, Battlefield, Call of Duty has been looking better and maintaining 60, Titanfall 2.

Unless they're making some amazing visuals in Destiny 2, I dont see why a targeted 60fps wouldn't be a priority for Bungie. It would make its great gameplay into amazing.

Let me dream.

The leak specifically points to muuuuuuuuuuch bigger areas - that's already the end for the 60fps on console dream.

Trace

Banned
It hurts.

Unless they're making some amazing visuals in Destiny 2, I dont see why a targeted 60fps wouldn't be a priority for Bungie. It would make its great gameplay into amazing.

Let me dream.

Just get it on PC Cuco. It'll be better :D

Well ideally you can log into your character whether it's on console or pc. That would be the ideal way to do it. Just keep the character saved on the server so that no tampering can happen and let me play wherever I want.
That would be ideal, but currently, I have two separate sets of toons on Xbox One and PS4, despite being tied to the same Bungie.net account.

The leak specifically points to muuuuuuuuuuch bigger areas - that's already the end for the 60fps on console dream.
Well then there'd better be content in those areas, because as it is, the current areas, despite being small, are pretty damn barebones.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why was it not on PC to begin with?
Essentially the game had an incredibly troubled development cycle and they felt they absolutely could not handle another platform at the time.

Afterwards, it was more that it was a bit late to start for the first game when all the tech people were busy on the sequel.

I want Destiny 2 to be ...

No Man's Sky (exploration) + Diablo 2 (RPG) + Souls Game (Bosses) + Destiny 1(Action)

You can do it Bungie...no more half ass stuff

Kalentan

For that reason alone, I want them to force the players to make new characters.

And we're being the silly ones? The people who are adamant on no characters transfer are coming across as petty.

Why are you guys acting like Bungie is some small studio where this is out of their scope?

nOoblet16

It hurts.

Unless they're making some amazing visuals with a huge scope in Destiny 2, I dont see why a targeted 60fps wouldn't be a priority for Bungie. It would make its great gameplay into amazing.

Let me dream.
None of those games do areas as big or enemies as dense as Destiny 1....let alone Destiny 2 which is suppose to be much bigger...that in itself means it won't be 60FPS due to the CPU.

Also Titanfall 2 does not look better, it's dated even by 2014 standards.

I'm much rather give up my character if it allowed Bungie to redesign them so they actually felt more unique. I'm more connected to my NBA 2k17 mycareer guy after a couple hours than my Destiny character after years. I wish the guns alone and armor alone did not make us who we are, but unique characteristics and attributes that made each guardian's skills unique.

The best thing about Destiny is the gunplay. If they keep that, I will get D2 day one. I do not care if I get to keep my character but I can understand people who spent money on theirs might.

This sounds like a complete do-over to try and do what they wanted to do with the first Destiny before production went to hell. Start over again and do it right this time.

Destiny 2: Destiny 1 but better this time we promise

Maybe that game we were hyped for before release is still on its way. If all goes as planned I imagine Destiny 1 will get swept under the rug.

Maybe Destiny 1 players are lucky and gonna get the "Early Access" Emblem.

Thank you for Beta Testing the Destiny concept. We hope you enjoy Destiny 2 1: For Real This Time.

So does this mean this game is 3-4 years out?:(

I was hoping the game would transistion into D2 in a massive update that evolved Destiny into Destiny 2, but if this is a proper new game it could be many years out in the future.

So does this mean this game is 3-4 years out?:(

I was hoping the game would transistion into D2 in a massive update that evolved Destiny into Destiny 2, but if this is a proper new game it could be many years out in the future.

It's next fall. It was supposed to be this fall. Remember, 750+ people working on it.

And we're being the silly ones? The people who are adamant on no characters transfer are coming across as petty.

I mean

You're quoting what is essentially a 3 year old quote in reference to a game that got major changes between that and release, and then has been restructured ever since that.

If D2 is on a better engine, and the caveats they had to make was having to leave old stuff in the attic for a temporary amount of time, then something like 'character' transfer might not work.

At the most, you'll have the option of loading a character in with the same general look, with some 'rewards' for having all this old stuff, but unless they decide to port over all the old gear and render it with their new tech, then having a 'fresh' character that is, by appearance, the same as your old character the best you can hope for.

If what Shinobi said is true about the reason they're leaving old content behind because of this new tech they're using, then it just isn't feasible to make a pass on all the old gear that a player may or may not have.

pre order guaranteed

This sounds incredible and will definitely reel me back in.

Destiny 1 sounds like a cancerous tumor they need to cut out for the sake of the franchise's future. Better development tools mean more robust content at a better pace. They need to prioritize this above all.

The people throwing their temper tantrums and claiming they won't return for the second game if they don't carry everything over are so full of shit. When they fire up their console and see half their friends list having a good time in the greatly improved Destiny 2, their will is going to last as long as the CoD "boycott".

In my humble opinion, there's is zero chance that our characters won't transfer into D2. It's what the game is based around. All the blood, sweat and tears we all have poured into the game won't be for not. I would bet they introduce 3 new classes of guardian. 10 year plan.

Rocketz

I'm fine with a fresh start if it makes the game better.

Hell every expansion was basically a reset for me anyway with getting all new gear.

So we have been beta testing the ten year plan for three years?

Would you really call it a beta if you enjoyed enough to keep playing for three years straight? And with that logic, would you retroactively call any first games in a series a beta since their failings were corrected in their sequels? Why is it bad that they learn from their mistakes and improve for the successive game? Isn't that the whole point of a sequel?

So we have been beta testing the ten year plan for three years?

Bold One

While Destiny is in need of an overhaul to really fulfill its potential, I don't like the idea f leaving EVERYTHING behind. You should be able to expand on the world thats already been built, otherwise, what a waste

What a massive waste/

Top Bottom