• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Trendy Entertainment - A Video Game Studio From Hell [Up: Stieglitz Demoted]

JDSN

Banned
Great job Jason on both stories, now this is a guy you can truly label as a sexist piece of shit. I hope you can get an update for us in a couple of months to see how things worked out in the end.

ppypJ1S.jpg

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
I hate people who bitch and moan about how bad their job is.

If you don't like it get another one. How hard is it to find a new job ?? I mean I know that it is not easy, but its still better than working in shitty conditions.

Eusis

If you don't like it get another one. How hard is it to find a new job ?? I mean I know that it is not easy, but its still better than working in shitty conditions.
Have you read the damn article?

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Oh brother...
It's a lot more than "just a tough job".

JDSN

Banned

Spoken like someone who doesnt have and need a job, or any kind of empathy for that matter.

Zabant

It's perfectly within peoples rights if they're being harassed at work to kick up a fuss. God forbid your boss ever come and give you shit unwarranted.

EDIT: Just saw one of the workers comments on kotaku.
I'd just like to confirm the things that have been said in the article here; things are actually looking very up right now, and many at the office are for the first time looking forward to coming into work and seeing what can be made of this new situation.

I know I already said it in the comments but honestly, give yourself a gold star on this one Jason. Bringing the social pressure smackdown to this jackass, perhaps he'll think twice before being a dick to his employees in the future.

Arksy

I honestly can't believe they didn't fire him.

Sounds pretty atrocious to be honest and I would've thought that most companies wouldn't want this kind of guy within a dozen miles of their company.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Sounds pretty atrocious to be honest and I would've thought that most companies wouldn't want this kind of guy within a dozen miles of their company.

I'm sure they need time to confirm just how bad things got/were.

cameron

EDIT: Just saw one of the workers comments on kotaku.

I know I already said it in the comments but honestly, give yourself a gold star on this one Jason. Bringing the social pressure smackdown to this jackass, perhaps he'll think twice before being a dick to his employees in the future.

If it's possible, a follow up story about the studio a year or so from now would be an informative read.

Good job Kotaku. The good stuff you do is often way overlooked too many times. There was a recent thread on GAF asking people what they thought the biggest shitstorm this generation was and what they thought should have been the biggest shitstorm.

This is part of what I posted for question No. 2.

(2) What should have been the biggest shitstorm of the generation?

The amount of stuidos closed, people laid off and just general mistreatment of average people that work in the game industry whether it be the guys that made Metro Last Light not having electricity and chairs to shit like the treatment of people who worked on RDR, LA Noire, Infinity Ward or any other project where a mass of people were laid off once a game went gold and hadn't sold a copy yet.

I don't work in the game industry, but good reporting. Stuff like this might make it easier for the average joe game employee to speak up.

freddy

Banned

Some people stay, fight and make the conditions better for people in the future. I know it's hard sometimes to see things from a selfless perspective but there are many who see the world that way.

ErichWK

Getting a job in the industry is really hard. Very very hard. I have friends,talented. Who still are unemployed after looking for a year+. Its tought to uproot your family and move cross country to get to a new studio.. .if you even get hired. Why roll over when you can change something for the better for not only you, but a lot of people.

Unfortunately this is the climate at a lot of companies. Employers are getting away with taking advantage and pushing employees past their limits because the current motto for management is if you complain or don't meet our expectations someone else would gladly take your job. The thing that bothers me the most is that creatives are already in a tough position creating and being in an overly saturated and competitive field. It's not like a mindless job where you just pick up and arrange things. The adverse effect is that spirits will be crushed and someone's life passion could potentially be lost. There are more than two sides to a story though.

Chairhome

Was kinda hoping we'd have heard something about this by now! Ah well.

Hopefully they really do improve and STAY improved thanks to that article.

Sorry, she says that its not the guy who was named in the article, and she's not really in contact with him anymore.

Caerith

Seriously? Listen, there are only three situations where quitting your job is something you can do lightly:
  1. When you have enough money to live on for two years and cover any and all unforeseeable circumstances (such as the $100k timebomb known as appendicitis).
  2. When you're under 40, in perfect health with no pre-existing conditions, have no children, and have 3+ years of experience in a high-demand field.
  3. When you're still in high school and mommy and daddy pay for everything anyway.
I hate people who have never had to choose between food and rent talking out their asses about how bad it isn't.

medrew

I take it you've never had a full time job. It's not just about your situation, it's also about those around you. Be it relationships or the work you've created. It's not always easy to just let go of it all of a sudden, especially if conditions have deteriorated over time and you remember how things 'use' to be.

It pleases me greatly that Kotaku's article made such a profound impact. Not only did you bring a pressing issue to light, but the livelihood of so many employees have been improved because of it. A little shocked that the tyrant is still working at the company though.

Great work Jason, quality stuff.

Good lord at this part:

ku-xlarge.png

Especially that last line. 0_0

Gotta get that pedobear demographic.

Do you not understand that what this guy is doing is illegal and needs to be brought to light?

But you're right. Instead of of holding people like bankers and oil tycoons responsible, we should just ignore the economic collapse of the world and oil spills.

Wiktor

He's a co-founder, so it's quite possible he owns part of the company.

DaBuddaDa

Hey jschreier, do you have any plans on following up with this story in say, three months, to see if there has been any real change?

Top Bottom