• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK: Okami HD coming to PS4 and Xbox One this December [Rumor]

VeeP

Getting shit wrong multiple times, being blacklisted by Nintendo, ruining someone else's career for attention and then getting a journalism job despite all that.

Nope I can't see why anyone wouldn't like her.

I know she had tons of software wrong, and being blacklisted by Nintendo makes sense (with the whole leaked the Switch hardware bit). But who's career did she ruin?

Overall, from the things I read about LKD in this thread, I'm really surprised by some of the defense force.

Plum

I understand that for sure, but I still think the smart business decision is the platform with the higher install base. At least in the fictional scenario where Capcom had to choose between Xbox One or Switch that is. That most likely wasn't the case, but it's the silly sounding scenario that the person I replied to seemed to suggest.

Well they did choose the XB1 over the Switch so that guy ain't wrong. Of course it's not an "either or" situation but I don't think the person you replied to originally implied it would be.

As for it being a smart business decision, Capcom ignoring the Switch despite it:
1) Having an audience which is much more susceptible to the genre, art style and story
2) Coming from a console manufacturer with more history with the franchise than the other two consoles
3) Having relatively few big 3D titles at the moment with big gaps in the market
Is not good business sense.

LQX

Awesome. Okami was so damn good on the Wii U. It gave me such awesome pleasant feeling to play like a Zelda game.

NateDrake

I know she had tons of software wrong, and being blacklisted by Nintendo makes sense (with the whole leaked the Switch hardware bit). But who's career did she ruin?

Overall, from the things I read about LKD in this thread, I'm really surprised by some of the defense force.

Aside from the MS guy? She got an Ubisoft employee fired over the Mario + Rabbids leaks.

TrutaS

I'm super excited for this. I played it on Wii years ago and loved it - this will be a perfect opportunity to experience it again - especially since I forgot all the gameplay bits!

2) Coming from a console manufacturer with more history with the franchise than the other two consoles
That's not true. Okami came out in 2006 on the PS2. Okami Wii came out in 2007. Unless you just mean there's been more titles on Nintendo platforms with Okami Wii and Okamiden, which isn't entirely true either since Okami HD was released on the PS3.

Well they did choose the XB1 over the Switch so that guy ain't wrong. Of course it's not an "either or" situation but I don't think the person you replied to originally implied it would be.

As for it being a smart business decision, Capcom ignoring the Switch despite it:
1) Having an audience which is much more susceptible to the genre, art style and story
3) Having relatively few big 3D titles at the moment with big gaps in the market
Is not good business sense.

As I stated before, I was really just joking about what I viewed to be a silly hypothetical situation. It definitely seems that we both had a different read on what the person I replied to meant, and that's fine.

Just to be clear, I don't think it's a smart business decision for Capcom to potentially skip the Switch with this release. For all the reasons you noted above, Okami HD would be a great fit for the platform. If this rumor proves true, I'll be really surprised if there isn't a Switch version down the line. I'd definitely double-dip on this re-re-release if it came to Switch at a later date!

Anyway, I think we should move on from the whole Switch discussion lest mods decide that we're "port-begging".

Plum

That's not true. Okami came out in 2006 on the PS2. Okami Wii came out in 2007. Unless you just mean there's been more titles on Nintendo platforms with Okami Wii and Okamiden, which isn't entirely true either since Okami HD was released on the PS3.

Yeah, I guess if you go by number of games they're equal (Okami Wii, Okamiden / Okami PS3, Okami HD). Still has more history than the Xbox does!

As I stated before, I was really just joking about what I viewed to be a silly hypothetical situation. It definitely seems that we both had a different read on what the person I replied to meant, and that's fine.

Just to be clear, I don't think it's a smart business decision for Capcom to potentially skip the Switch with this release. For all the reasons you noted above, Okami HD would be a great fit for the platform. If this rumor proves true, I'll be really surprised if there isn't a Switch version down the line. I'd definitely double-dip on this re-re-release if it came to Switch at a later date!

Anyway, I think we should move on from the whole Switch discussion lest mods decide that we're "port-begging".

Yeah, our readings do seem to be different. I do just think that Capcom is leaving money on the table by ignoring the Switch with this.

As for it being port begging. I said in that recent big "Switch port begging" thread that "port begging" such as this is the fault of the publisher misreading their audience. Capcom's going to be disappointed once again with the sales of this when I'd bet some good money they'd be pleasently surprised if they released it on Switch. But yeah, let the mods decide.

Greatest game of all time.

Okami 2 Kamiya. When.

61cHY1n1SkL._SX425_.jpg

It wasn't that great.

I'm happy to quadradip on this fantastic title, really looking forward to it!

Swiggins

Yeah, I'd buy it a second time. Okami was probably in my top 3 PS2 games of all time. Hell, it's easily still in my top 10 more than a decade later. It's still the game I would most likely choose to make a "games are art" argument.

I remember hearing that the PS3 release was actually rendered at 4K and then downsampled to 1080p. If that's true, would a 4k release be possible?

Yeah, I'd buy it a second time. Okami was probably in my top 3 PS2 games of all time. Hell, it's easily still in my top 10 more than a decade later. It's still the game I would most likely choose to make a "games are art" argument.

I remember hearing that the PS3 release was actually rendered at 4K and then downsampled to 1080p. If that's true, would a 4k release be possible?

This was addressed earlier in the thread, but the 4K thing was a mis-translation. Either way, the game could ideally get 4K support but who knows if they'll put that effort in. I'd personally be more than happy with just a straight port of the HD remaster.

I'm taking Okami in any possible form but I'm not trusting Laura Kate Dale on software rumors.

For a minute I was excited but then I saw this:
Vy3FYPu.png

After the NX/Switch leak fiasco, I don't trust this person with leaks.

LKD is a cool person but Software rumours involving NX/Switch were not the greatest so this a wait and see. Would be awesome if true.

This is so stupid IMO. This isn't LKD's blog or twitter account- it's Kotaku, and everything will have been verified by Kotaku before publishing as it's their reputation on the line more than Laura's. Kotaku pride themselves at being very careful about 'leaks' etc.

Also, LKD's Switch stuff wasn't great because she A) didn't have the connections, resources and experience to fully check stuff out before publishing, and B) she was clearly so excited about all the rumours she was hearing that she just published everything. If she had only told us about the hardware stuff and Mario Rabbids, which were always the things she was sure about, we'd all be saying how reliable she is.

This is so stupid IMO. This isn't LKD's blog or twitter account- it's Kotaku, and everything will have been verified by Kotaku before publishing as it's their reputation on the line more than Laura's. Kotaku pride themselves at being very careful about 'leaks' etc.

Also, LKD's Switch stuff wasn't great because she A) didn't have the connections, resources and experience to fully check stuff out before publishing, and B) she was clearly so excited about all the rumours she was hearing that she just published everything. If she had only told us about the hardware stuff and Mario Rabbids, which were always the things she was sure about, we'd all be saying how reliable she is.

We'd be saying that because she'd be right. That's the point. If she vetted all this stuff properly, she'd not get the heat. You don't get to remove yourself from responsibility just because "you are excited" or whatever especially when it's part of your job as a journalist. You are right about the Kotaku part, but she's still suspect as hell so I wouldn't begrudge anyone's immediate response being untrusting.

Giolon

Please be true! Would be great if it were on Switch so I could play it on the go, but I'll take the ability to get it out of last-gen jail any way I can get it.

One of my favourite games of all time. Got the Platinum trophy on Okami HD so I may buy it on Xbox just to make it my first 1000G Achievement game.

danthefan

Just out of interest what did Laura get wrong on the Switch? I listen to Podquisition regularly but obviously they focused on the stuff she got right at the time.

Gestault

Okami HD was already internally rendering at 4k on the PS3 so what are they going to do with it on PS4, internal 8k? 12k on Pro?

That was a mistranslation about the 4X anti-aliasing. The game had great IQ, but the rendering resolution wasn't 4K.

After playing Final Fantasy XII with the speed-up button in the remaster (I never played the international edition), something like that as an addition for Okami would make worlds of difference, for me. The game stretches on too long, in its original form.

thumb

Banned
Yawn, remasters of remasters, talk about milking it to the last drop.

We have to move beyond the idea that console games should be forever stuck to whatever generation they released on. Okami is a spectacular game. It deserves to be continually updated for newer hardware so that future generations of gamers can enjoy it.

Just out of interest what did Laura get wrong on the Switch? I listen to Podquisition regularly but obviously they focused on the stuff she got right at the time.
The possibility of the screen being an IR sensor for the right joycon, an additional fan in the dock and it's likelihood to provide additional power, etc.

Merc_

I want it. I haven't played through this game since it originally came out and I'd love for a redo on a system that isn't somewhere deep in my closet right now. Adding on the DS game to the package would be really cool too.

Ennosuke

I played it on the Wii, loved it.
I played it in HD on the PS3, loved it even more.

Sold both consoles never finished it, I guess this time I will finish it for sure!

Reminder: Kotaku UK has a separate editorial team (that's part of an entirely different company) than Kotaku US, and the latter has not run this story.

Subsequently, I do think that this primarily Laura Kate Dale's sources, and therefore I don't think that this is true.

NateDrake

Reminder: Kotaku UK has a separate editorial team (that's part of an entirely different company) than Kotaku US, and the latter has not run this story.

Subsequently, I do think that this primarily Laura Kate Dale's sources, and therefore I don't think that this is true.

It's based on retail listings of said product.

https://twitter.com/laurakbuzz/status/800291109448523777?lang=en

Aters

I understand that for sure, but I still think the smart business decision is the platform with the higher install base. At least in the fictional scenario where Capcom had to choose between Xbox One or Switch that is. That most likely wasn't the case, but it's the silly sounding scenario that the person I replied to seemed to suggest.

Nah let's face it. It's a Japanese game without realistic art style. It will sell like shit on XBOX, history has proved that again and again.

Gator86

Even for video games journalism, this is a hilariously low bar of professionalism.

On topic: I'd love a PS4 Okami. 1080/60 and I'd be in.

We'd be saying that because she'd be right. That's the point. If she vetted all this stuff properly, she'd not get the heat. You don't get to remove yourself from responsibility just because "you are excited" or whatever especially when it's part of your job as a journalist. You are right about the Kotaku part, but she's still suspect as hell so I wouldn't begrudge anyone's immediate response being untrusting.

She's not 'suspect'. She just received information that was out of date, or only partially complete, and told everyone about it without being 100% sure it was correct, when a more experienced leaker would have sat on it. I mean, Emily Rodgers knew about ARMS but didn't say anything before the announcement as she wasn't 100% on it.

And then look at Eurogamer- a big site who are very trustworthy, were part of the initial rock solid Switch leaks, but they got it wrong on the Switch version of Pokemon Sun and Moon, possibly because plans change, possibly because they had a certain amount of information and made some assumptions.

Getting leaks wrong can happen to absolutely anyone, especially if you leak a lot of information.

Even for video games journalism, this is a hilariously low bar of professionalism.

Did you read her twitter before she got the Kotaku job? She certainly was not very professional in terms of her social media presence. It's not a criticism, she can say whatever she likes online. But she was very very candid in everything she wrote, and would share a whole lot of personal information. She's just young and she's toned it down since getting the Kotaku job anyway.

But saying she's 'suspect' implies that you think she was lying (as I'm not sure what else would be 'suspect' about sharing rumours she'd heard?). I really don't think we should make any unfounded allegations about her just making up leaks.

Scrawnton

She's not 'suspect'. She just received information that was out of date, or only partially complete, and told everyone about it without being 100% sure it was correct, when a more experienced leaker would have sat on it. I mean, Emily Rodgers knew about ARMS but didn't say anything before the announcement as she wasn't 100% on it.

And then look at Eurogamer- a big site who are very trustworthy, were part of the initial rock solid Switch leaks, but they got it wrong on the Switch version of Pokemon Sun and Moon, possibly because plans change, possibly because they had a certain amount of information and made some assumptions.

Getting leaks wrong can happen to absolutely anyone, especially if you leak a lot of information.

But saying she's 'suspect' implies that you think she was lying (as I'm not sure what else would be 'suspect' about sharing rumours she'd heard?). I really don't think we should make any unfounded allegations about her just making up leaks.
That tweet certainly looks like tales from someone's butt.

That tweet certainly looks like tales from someone's butt.

Lots of that information is either correct, correct game info but the wrong date, or stuff which is very likely in development, or was at some point (we know Pikmin 4 is in development, there have been constant rumours of Smash and Mario Maker ports, Pokemon Stars was viewed as a dead cert by loads of journos etc).

Can't see anything which suggests she just made it up.

Top Bottom