• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

dibella360

Banned
I am in the market for a 4K tv... just in-time for the xbox one X.

With all the praise on this site for the KS8000, I finally been able to track one down for $1900 CDN (new) .

Is this still the best one or should I get something else.

ss_lemonade

I just realized that I could simulate 21:9 on my TV with a PC. 3440x1440 works well since it still fits inside 3840x2160.

3840x2160
jjcxDSLl.jpg

3440x1440
AfINhTTl.jpg

Another 21:9 shot
EnP5y6Nl.jpg

Gives one some flexible options of trying either black bars 21:9 or fullscreen 16:9 gaming, and a nice setting (3440x1440) that performs much better than 3840x2160 if 4k is too demanding.

EDIT:
Seems I had the wrong black level with those 21:9 shots so blacks are crushed there.

Yoday

I am in the market for a 4K tv... just in-time for the xbox one X.

With all the praise on this site for the KS8000, I finally been able to track one down for $1900 CDN (new) .

Is this still the best one or should I get something else.
Seems like it, esspecially with the fix coming for HDR settings in game mode. Though, you might be able to find a better deal on the good Sony TVs this holiday.

I’m having the PS4 Pro cut out from time to time while playing. Have you guys seen this at all? HDMI cable is brand new

My pro will sometimes start up on a black screen with sound, using cable that came with it. Meanwhile my xbox one S has zero issues on the same tv. So its definitely not a TV problem

Heel

I’m having the PS4 Pro cut out from time to time while playing. Have you guys seen this at all? HDMI cable is brand new

My pro will sometimes start up on a black screen with sound, using cable that came with it. Meanwhile my xbox one S has zero issues on the same tv. So its definitely not a TV problem

Yeah, did anyone ever solve this problem by getting a new HDMI cable? I know it's come up before.

I have a really high quality HDMI cable and my PC still cuts out to black from time to time. I think it's just an iffy signal handshake or something and more to do with the TV than the cable choice.

I know this is slightly off topic, but has anybodies youtube app on this TV gone apeshit in the last day or so?

It wont load up at all, there is a bunch of Chinese writing and the spinning loading circle icon but it never loads up. Yesterday I had some issues connecting to my wifi, I was able to correct the issue and all other apps work fine except for youtube.

Jim

I know this is slightly off topic, but has anybodies youtube app on this TV gone apeshit in the last day or so?

It wont load up at all, there is a bunch of Chinese writing and the spinning loading circle icon but it never loads up. Yesterday I had some issues connecting to my wifi, I was able to correct the issue and all other apps work fine except for youtube.

Not recently, but long holding the "back" button on remote while the TY app is open will force close the app, which usually fixes it up.

Also, long hold the power button on the remote to reboot the TV fixes a lot of issues, wifi included.

Not recently, but long holding the "back" button on remote while the TY app is open will force close the app, which usually fixes it up.

Also, long hold the power button on the remote to reboot the TV fixes a lot of issues, wifi included.

Thank you sir, I will give these a shot.

Anyone have some picture settings for 1203? I'm currently just using the Rtings.com ones

They're very good. Take them as a base and experiment a bit. For instance, I go with warm1 in gaming mode and warm2 in movie mode. I also think 15 sharpness adds zero visible artifacts while improving the picture a bit.

Syrus

Banned
They're very good. Take them as a base and experiment a bit. For instance, I got with warm1 in gaming mode and warm2 in movie mode. I also think 15 sharpness adds zero visible artifacts while improving the picture a bit.

Warm 1 is best for gaming.

I do 15 sharpness too

jbug617

Banned
Is the backlight issue for hdr gaming only a ks8000 issue? Every time I check it on my ks8500 the backlight is always on 20.

ss_lemonade

Is the backlight issue for hdr gaming only a ks8000 issue? Every time I check it on my ks8500 the backlight is always on 20.

Yes, normally you would have a different set of settings for SDR and HDR content (PC mode for example allows this). Many choose to have SDR content running with a lower backlight value (I use 13) but HDR pretty much requires this to be set to 20. Because SDR and HDR share the same set of settings in Game mode, this forces one to always go to settings then manually adjust backlight to 20 with HDR content, then back down with SDR content.

I just realized that I could simulate 21:9 on my TV with a PC. 3440x1440 works well since it still fits inside 3840x2160.

3840x2160
jjcxDSLl.jpg

3440x1440
AfINhTTl.jpg

Another 21:9 shot
EnP5y6Nl.jpg

Gives one some flexible options of trying either black bars 21:9 or fullscreen 16:9 gaming, and a nice setting (3440x1440) that performs much better than 3840x2160 if 4k is too demanding.

EDIT:
Seems I had the wrong black level with those 21:9 shots so blacks are crushed there.

why why why why

rinse82

Oh great, 1203 broke ARC again.

In the past a power cycle of the TV would remedy but now the TV still won’t detect my receiver after I do that. Damnit

dibella360

Banned
I am desperately seeking help. I finally managed to pick up a KS8000 and I tried using the recommended settings listed here over and over. I think I am doing something wrong here.

Taking it out of the box, I watched a 4K HDR on YouTube and was blown away. I currently have an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro hooked up to it.

Following the recommendations, the tv is dark and yellowish
If I change the color tone to standard, the yellow whites become whiter. It also looks better when the backlight is at 20 (100%) at all time.

On my Xbox, I played rocket league (1080p no HDR) and it looked really good at 20 backlight. I played Forza horizon 3 (1080p with HDR) and it also looked good. To matters worse, I have the new white dashboard and apparently, I should be blind with the 20 backlight.

On the PS4 I played the last of Us (1800p with HDR) and everything looked oversaturated (too bright) … the players seemed to bright.

I am really troubled by this. Everyone is stating 20 backlight is blinding with non HDR and that does not seem to be the case with me. I am also very new to HDR, what is the best contact I can download to see it. The YouTube videos are amazing (the colors stand out) but I am not sure if this is HDR or simply being 4K.

Current Settings
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 50
Tint G50/R50
Smart led high
UHD color on.
Dynamic Contrast High.
Color tone Standard.
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto

I am desperately seeking help. I finally managed to pick up a KS8000 and I tried using the recommended settings listed here over and over. I think I am doing something wrong here.

Taking it out of the box, I watched a 4K HDR on YouTube and was blown away. I currently have an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro hooked up to it.

If I change the color tone to standard, the yellow whites become whiter. It also looks better when the backlight is at 20 (100%) at all time.

On my Xbox, I played rocket league (1080p no HDR) and it looked really good at 20 backlight. I played Forza horizon 3 (1080p with HDR) and it also looked good. To matters worse, I have the new white dashboard and apparently, I should be blind with the 20 backlight.

On the PS4 I played the last of Us (1800p with HDR) and everything looked oversaturated (too bright) … the players seemed to bright.

I am really troubled by this. Everyone is stating 20 backlight is blinding with non HDR and that does not seem to be the case with me. I am also very new to HDR, what is the best contact I can download to see it. The YouTube videos are amazing (the colors stand out) but I am not sure if this is HDR or simply being 4K.

Current Settings
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 50
Tint G50/R50
Smart led high
UHD color on.
Dynamic Contrast High.
Color tone Standard.
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto

color tone maybe. otherwise mine are similar:

Backlight 14
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 60
Tint G50/R50
Smart led high
UHD color on.
Dynamic Contrast High

Syrus

Banned

Current Settings
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 50
Tint G50/R50
Smart led high
UHD color on.
Dynamic Contrast High.
Color tone Standard.
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto

Warm 1 is best.

Backlight for SDR should never be 20. Dynamic contrast low or medium is better. High crushes alot of detail.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have a really high quality HDMI cable and my PC still cuts out to black from time to time. I think it's just an iffy signal handshake or something and more to do with the TV than the cable choice.

I never got the black out issue. Then I disconnected the HDMI cable and hooked up my PSVR. Went back to non-PSVR 4 days later after beating Farpoint and NOW it's blacking out every 10 minutes.

I can easily run backlight 20 during the day on my TV too. My flat's really bright and it wouldn't be overwhelming at all. I stick with 12 though.

mario_O

What do you guys use for hdr on PC, hdmi black level 'Normal' or 'Low'? I've tried 'Normal', which I think is 0-255, but the blacks look washed out. If I set it to 'Low' blacks look blacker and colours pop more. But I find it strange that HDR doesn't use the whole RGB range. Also, on my Netflix and Youtube app it defaults to 'Low' and doesnt allow you to change it. It's greyed out.

Yoday

Any other color tone will cause the yellow/blue look
Warm 1 will appear a bit yellow when switching to it from Standard, but just give it a little time and you'll adjust. After you get used to it you'll find Standard to be too blue. Warm 1 is the best balance IMO. It doesn't have that over aggressive yellow look that Warm 2 has, and it doesn't go too far into the Blue spectrum like Standard does.

As for backlight, use what you like best. It largely depends on your viewing environment. All HDR content should be at 20 obviously, outside of that just put it to what works best for you. I have a fairly bright room, so anything lower than 12 is too dim. I tend to stick to 12 outside of HDR, but I regularly leave it at 20 for convenience, and it doesn't bother me at all. The light theme on Xbox was super blinding at 20 when it first went live, but I'm pretty sure they've adjusted the contrast since then, as it's fine now.

ss_lemonade

What do you guys use for hdr on PC, hdmi black level 'Normal' or 'Low'? I've tried 'Normal', which I think is 0-255, but the blacks look washed out. If I set it to 'Low' blacks look blacker and colours pop more. But I find it strange that HDR doesn't use the whole RGB range. Also, on my Netflix and Youtube app it defaults to 'Low' and doesnt allow you to change it. It's greyed out.
If you're using 4k, I believe you need to be using limited since ycbcr only works with limited.

ss_lemonade

Does anyone else have their TV randomly powering on? I'm not sure if it's the TV, my receiver or one of my consoles (which are connected to my receiver) doing it. It's rare but seems to happen like once a month (or every other month) for me. It happened again yesterday when we had a quick power outage. When power came back, that's probably when my TV started up again because it was stuck on my receiver's menu screen when I got home from work (good thing image retention isn't a problem with LCDs T_T).

philm87

Does anyone else have their TV randomly powering on? I'm not sure if it's the TV, my receiver or one of my consoles (which are connected to my receiver) doing it. It's rare but seems to happen like once a month (or every other month) for me. It happened again yesterday when we had a quick power outage. When power came back, that's probably when my TV started up again because it was stuck on my receiver's menu screen when I got home from work (good thing image retention isn't a problem with LCDs T_T).

Try turning off HDMI control (or whatever the similar option is on your console). Didn't have exactly the same issue, just got annoyed the the ps4 would turn on automatically when selected on the menu, or when I turned the tv on if it was the last thing selected before it was turned off. Just and idea, may help.

My TV goes on automatically if my ps4 has HDMI link on in the settings, so i turned it off. It would also automatically switch to the ps4 input. But randomly out of the blue, no.

I never got the black out issue. Then I disconnected the HDMI cable and hooked up my PSVR. Went back to non-PSVR 4 days later after beating Farpoint and NOW it's blacking out every 10 minutes.

Yeah it's weird. Sometimes mine doesn't do it for weeks and then all of a sudden it starts doing it about 20 times a day.

I have a question, I have this TV but have used up all of the HDMI ports(XBOX ONE, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and of course the cable box for the TV) I have a few other consoles(Wii U, SNES Classic) that I want to connect to the TV but its so annoying having to unplug one console and plug in a different one, often it confuses the TV so I was wondering if there is something I could purchase that would give me a few extra HDMI ports so I could connect everything

Top Bottom