• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Heel

Picked up an 65MU8500 this past weekend (apparently the successor to the KS)

Any word on if game mode HDR is having issues with this model, as well?

It has the same problem as the KS models with not having separate settings for HDR-enabled games, forcing you to adjust settings manually between the two. This problem will supposedly be fixed with an update soon:

2017 models (Kant M, MU) : Oct 12

2016 models (Jazz M, KS) : Nov 27

Anyone else have screen tearing/scan line issues? It's like a (just one) horizontal flickering line that moves from top to bottom, completely random.

I've never noticed this with mine. How often does the line appear? Are your consoles plugged directly into the OneConnect box or are they going through a receiver or splitter?

EvB

When moving this this weekend my friend managed to get oily fingerprints on the bottom right corner of the screen - not a big deal at all as it doesn’t show up when the screen is on, but when I tried wiping it with a micro fiver cloth it seemed to just smear it. I assume there is some kind of anti reflective coating that is now permanently marked?

It shouldn't be marked, AR coatings are essentially baked on.
Get some kind of optical cleaner to get any grease off, ZEISS make some great lens/screen wipes that will do the trick and are designed to be safe for anti reflective coatings.

Heel

When moving this this weekend my friend managed to get oily fingerprints on the bottom right corner of the screen - not a big deal at all as it doesn't show up when the screen is on, but when I tried wiping it with a micro fiver cloth it seemed to just smear it. I assume there is some kind of anti reflective coating that is now permanently marked?

It shouldn't be marked, AR coatings are essentially baked on.
Get some kind of optical cleaner to get any grease off, ZEISS make some great lens/screen wipes that will do the trick and are designed to be safe for anti reflective coatings.

Yeah, I'm curious if anyone has a solution that they know for sure is safe to use. I do have a mark on the screen from the factory that is possibly a fingerprint. Can't tell if it's on or under the screen. No amount of wiping with water and microfiber would remove it, and I've heard a lot of bad stories of people using cleaners that ruin the coating on this panel.

Other than that, I only touch the screen with the included microfiber cloth to swipe the dust off. The coating on this panel is notoriously delicate.

What is the most ideal way to deal with the random black outs when using a console? As in, the screen would go black for a second or two then come back.

Wire to the HDMI splitter that connects to the TV or do you mean the HDMI cable from the splitter to the PS4?

Other 4K option? I'm at work right now and not in front of my system. Sorry if I'm not sure what you mean.

2160p - RGB is the one i was using but kept going black for a second every now and again.

the other one is 2160p - YUV42 something or other. That's the one ive used for about 10 months now and had no problems.

not sure if i lose quality or anything but seems fine.

ornery

It has the same problem as the KS models with not having separate settings for HDR-enabled games, forcing you to adjust settings manually between the two. This problem will supposedly be fixed with an update soon:

Thanks, bud!

2160p - RGB is the one i was using but kept going black for a second every now and again.

the other one is 2160p - YUV42 something or other. That's the one ive used for about 10 months now and had no problems.

Thanks, I'll try that out when I get home.

Raiden

Banned
I got me a KS9000 a couple of months ago and adjusted some of the settings based on posts made here. But some games like Destiny 2 seem off.

Anyone got a link or something for my lazy ass to copy? I want it to be adjusted to 4K gaming, dont really care if its not ideal for tv or blu-ray. Thanks!

Wire to the HDMI splitter that connects to the TV or do you mean the HDMI cable from the splitter to the PS4?

I have both ps4 pro and xbox one S connected to it, Xbox never gave me a black screen once. On ps4, it happens. Its either a ps4 problem, or a HDMI wire problem from the ps4 to the splitter. If it wasnt, my xbox would do it too and it doesnt.

EvB

Yeah, I'm curious if anyone has a solution that they know for sure is safe to use. I do have a mark on the screen from the factory that is possibly a fingerprint. Can't tell if it's on or under the screen. No amount of wiping with water and microfiber would remove it, and I've heard a lot of bad stories of people using cleaners that ruin the coating on this panel.

Other than that, I only touch the screen with the included microfiber cloth to swipe the dust off. The coating on this panel is notoriously delicate.

It shouldn't be that delicate. Unless you friend is one of those people who melt controllers with their hands or has Alien blood, it is super unlikely to have caused damage.

Sudden changes of temperature and heat are the enemies of an AR coating, a PH neutral solution should be perfectly safe. But there are solutions and wipes designed specifically to clean them for optical surfaces such as Microscope and camera lenses.

I use such a solution to clean mine.

Frillen

Nvm :)

QLED is Oct 12 then?

ornery

Also, I've been noticing some major audio issues with this set. Audio will randomly fall out of sync, I've had a volume issue where I couldnt hear anything until I power cycled the set. For a newer-gen TV, this thing is already annoying me. Havent even had it 48 hours yet.

YUV420 doesn't push as much data over the connection and is also compatible with older HDMI cables and standards which is probably why you are no longer having issues. RGB is "technically" better but in actual use/practice probably isn't much of a visible difference.

Yeah, I'm curious if anyone has a solution that they know for sure is safe to use.

I've used my Monster cleaning cloth and solution to remove several spots where my dog pressed his wet nose against the screen and there have been no ill-effects. The key is to only use the lightest pressure possible on the screen. I just spray the cloth once or twice and very lightly wipe over the affected spot. This has worked for me.

Also, I've been noticing some major audio issues with this set. Audio will randomly fall out of sync, I've had a volume issue where I couldnt hear anything until I power cycled the set.

Is this using the TV's built-in speakers or a secondary receiver/soundbar? If the latter, are you using ARC?

Robiin

I've never noticed this with mine. How often does the line appear? Are your consoles plugged directly into the OneConnect box or are they going through a receiver or splitter?
Maybe once every few play sessions, like 1 time in ten hours or so. Really noticeable though, messes with my Smash matches!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have an issue when I switch from say, Xbox to PS4 inputs. The screen will go black and stay black until I change to TV input and back to PS4.

Very odd.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Thanks, I'll try that out when I get home.

If you were indeed using YUV before, and not Auto, I recommend switching to Auto instead of RGB. After setting it, you may need to boot a game or reset your PS4 to get the setting to apply properly. I was RGB for a while because setting it to Auto didn't immediately change to the correct settings and I thought it didn't work.

I had problems with not being able to use the TV's Auto color Space and Black levels properly on the PS4's input when I wasn't on Automatic Resolution and RGB Range on the PS4.

Heel

If you were indeed using YUV before, and not Auto, I recommend switching to Auto instead of RGB. After setting it, you may need to boot a game or reset your PS4 to get the setting to apply properly. I was RGB for a while because setting it to Auto didn't immediately change to the correct settings and I thought it didn't work.

I had problems with not being able to use the TV's Auto color Space and Black levels properly on the PS4's input when I wasn't on Automatic Resolution and RGB Range on the PS4.

Yeah, I'm curious if this is related to not setting both the PS4 and TV to Auto and there being some kind of handshake problem. Has anyone had this black screen issue with these settings? I've never experienced it, personally.

Starting from boot, Auto on both is correct and works as intended for both SDR and HDR games, and switches between the two properly.

This fixed my issue. Thank you!

No, it's mainly when going from something to the PS4 input. Not sure if it's the TV having a hard time picking up the PS4 resolution or what.

Based on what I've read in this thread it seems the PS4 just has HDMI handshaking issues with this TV for some reason. For what it's worth I run all my consoles through an Onkyo receiver and never encounter these problems. I assume this is because the Onkyo handshaking is more compatible with the PS4 Pro and TV than they are with each other.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Based on what I've read in this thread it seems the PS4 just has HDMI handshaking issues with this TV for some reason. For what it's worth I run all my consoles through an Onkyo receiver and never encounter these problems. I assume this is because the Onkyo handshaking is more compatible with the PS4 Pro and TV than they are with each other.

Yeah, I would do this but my Onkyo box isn't 4K HDR compatible. I need to upgrade.

guys I rented a UHD from vudu thinking I would get HDR,
but after I rented it I find out that HDR is dolby vision only?

Will HDR still work or no?

ss_lemonade

I have an issue when I switch from say, Xbox to PS4 inputs. The screen will go black and stay black until I change to TV input and back to PS4.

Very odd.

This always happens to me when I first power on my TV and PC. In the first few seconds, the screen will black out then show my receiver's source selector again. Even though the PC source is selected (PC is connected to my receiver), it doesn't show any signal until I force re-select the PC source. Weird issue, but it only happens on startup. I wonder if it's 4k related since that is what my PC is outputting. My other consoles don't do this, though switching to my standard PS4 makes the receiver's source control overlay appear again the first few seconds in (difference is my screen doesn't black out). It could also be behavior related only to my receiver's OSD plus 4k or 1080p output?

I have an issue when I switch from say, Netflix app to PS4 inputs. The screen will go black and stay black until I change to TV input and back to PS4.

Very odd.

I actually have the same issue since the very first firmware
- I have my PS4 on HDMi1 if that helps anyone find out what the issue is.

Worth mentioning I have a PS4 pro

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I also see this issue occasionally. I'll switch to another input and watch a movie or something, and when I switch back to PS4, it either takes a really long time for the image to connect or I have to switch inputs back and forth again. I once had to put my PS4 into sleep mode and turn it back on to get it to work. It's not a huge issue though and I've never experienced blackouts while on the PS4 input.

Sometimes, I can't even turn on the TV unless I do an activity with something connected to it. Like, I'll press the power button on the remote and nothing happens, but if I turn on my PS4, or extend my laptop display to my TV, then try again, it'll turn on no problem. It's a weird issue.

Inspect

Neo Member
Anyone try Transformers Last Knight 4k on the Samsung? Using the Xbox One S all of my 4k movies have been in HDR and at the correct resolution. Pop this guy in and I know it's a Dolby Vision title which the Samsung doesn't support but it's rocking in 1080p and no HDR. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Anyone try Transformers Last Knight 4k on the Samsung? Using the Xbox One S all of my 4k movies have been in HDR and at the correct resolution. Pop this guy in and I know it's a Dolby Vision title which the Samsung doesn't support but it's rocking in 1080p and no HDR. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Would like an answer on this one before I buy this disc myself.

Haines

Banned

You didn't pop in the bluray by chance

Have had no issue at all with the few Dolby Vision titles playing back in HDR10 on the KS8000, including the new TF (which at least looked terrific). Must be something in the user end or some Xbox One S glitch but it shouldn't be doing that (I'm using the Oppo 203 as a player).

Either way, Anything in Dolby Vision should be playing back perfectly in HDR10. The way things are going I certainly wouldn't worry about DV either but that's a whole other can of worms.

Heel

Yeah, every UHD disc has an HDR10 base layer.

I believe Samsung is working to get HDR10+ as a part of the UHD BD spec, but the rumor is 2016 TVs will only support HDR10+ via streaming and not HDMI. I guess we'll find out soon enough how it all pans out.

Aske

Yeah, every UHD disc has an HDR10 base layer.

I believe Samsung is working to get HDR10+ as a part of the UHD BD spec, but the rumor is 2016 TVs will only support HDR10+ via streaming and not HDMI. I guess we'll find out soon enough how it all pans out.

I know nothing about how this works, but isn't the idea behind the One Connect box that it can be upgraded to give older panels more features? I'd have thought adding compatibility for evolving standards would be the perfect excuse to sell us new hardware. Everyone wins.

Heel

I know nothing about how this works, but isn't the idea behind the One Connect box that it can be upgraded to give older panels more features? I'd have thought adding compatibility for evolving standards would be the perfect excuse to sell us new hardware. Everyone wins.

Yeah, they've done "Evolution Kits" in the past which were basically updated One Connect boxes for older TVs. They haven't done it in a few years, but I suppose it's possible they'll do it if it makes sense. Would be really cool if they do one for HDMI 2.1 down the road.

fabrizio5680

Neo Member
So is having the PS4 pro on 2160 RGB an issue? I have this set manually along with limited/low Black levels.

Cause this really fixed a fair bit of the black flickering for me. I'm assuming that 2160 RGB is for all title that aren't HDR and that with HDR titles the PS4 goes into YUV422 (which is what I'm seeing it do).

philm87

So is having the PS4 pro on 2160 RGB an issue? I have this set manually along with limited/low Black levels.

Cause this really fixed a fair bit of the black flickering for me. I'm assuming that 2160 RGB is for all title that aren't HDR and that with HDR titles the PS4 goes into YUV422 (which is what I'm seeing it do).

Correct. No issue with having it set on 2160 RGB. It change automatically to YUV422 when HDR content is played.

Top Bottom