• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

carsar

Does anyone know what is the reason to cut 444 --> 422 in Game/movie modes? hdmi 2.0 offers 18gb/s which means 4k 60hz and 4 4 4 RGB.

And second question:
My 7 years old fullhd TV can offer 444 1080p 60hz for PS4.
And I can see the difference between 1080p 422 and 1080p 444 very clear.
So, can I get 444 for 1080p games with KS800 and PS4 pro?
There are no hardware limitations ofc, 7 years tv can offer that.

Any suggestions exept PC mode

ss_lemonade

What are the vet settings for PC? I noticed it defaults the sharpness to 50.

Can anyone help me set up HDR on PC? I have a GTX 1080.
50 is the default with PC mode. It should be similar to 0 outside PC mode.

As for PC HDR, I wish it was easier to work with because HDR makes next to no sense in Windows. Afaik, you need to be in ycbcr420 for it to work. When playing Windows Store games like Forza 7, the HDR setting in Windows needs to be enabled for the game to switch to HDR mode. For other games outside the Windows Store like Resident Evil 7 in Steam, it has it's own HDR toggle in game so the Windows HDR option isn't needed. In both cases though, I randomly experience a bug where everything turns high contrasty with sharp text artifacts. I need to toggle HDR on and off multiple times until it appears properly (http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=249815937&postcount=10689)

carsar

need to toggle HDR on and off multiple times until it appears properly (http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=249815937&postcount=10689)
I have same problem. It occurs only PC mode.
and second thing - HDR in pc mode seems broken. If I set ingame peak brightness(Hitman, BF1, RE7), settings are very close in game/movie modes, however ingame peak brightness values are different for PC mode. For exampe, I need to set 12 for Game mode and 7.5 for PC mode in Hitman

Orayn

Weird thing I noticed recently: Does the built in Amazon Video app seem to force its own form of Smart LED/fake HDR regardless of your video settings? I noticed huge swings in backlight brightness during the opening credits for a movie using the TV app, but not on PS4. It's Blade Runner: Final Cut, which definitely isn't HDR.

WolfRathmA

Turn all eco settings off first

Try standard instead of movie and repeat whatever happens and let me know if it still does it

Thank you for your time to answer.

All eco modes are off. I've tried a lot of different settings. I forgot to mention that, this happens on gaming mode as well on all other modes for me. The only solution i find and the problem doesn't occurred, is by enabling the High Dynamic Contrast to "Low". I know this is might be not right, but if it works for me, it's fine.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

All eco modes are off. I've tried a lot of different settings. I forgot to mention that, this happens on gaming mode as well on all other modes for me. The only solution i find and the problem doesn't occurred, is by enabling the High Dynamic Contrast to "Low". I know this is might be not right, but if it works for me, it's fine.

I was having the same issue and it was really annoying. I changed my Smart LED setting to Low and never noticed it again, so that might be a better option if you haven't already tried it than turning on the Dynamic Contrast.

Hostile_18

Banned
Anyone have problems with the controller volume buttons with the YouTube app? It doesn't work when I'm in YouTube and netflix

I've had strange volume issues this last week or so. The receiver option has disappeared and when tv sound option is selected it plays from the receiver now instead. Must have been an update as nothing else has changed.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
for HDR do you guys still do backlight 20 even in night time?

I always watch in a lit room, so the time of day doesn't really matter. If you're watching in a dark room though, you probably don't need as much backlight. Even for non HDR content, you should probably have it lower in a dark room.

GC71388

Ive had this tv for a while but do you guys notice flashlighting around a logo on a black screen? It looks pretty bad but i dunno if its just a deficiency of the tv or maybe it needs to be warrantied. On a black screen with no logo showing it isnt as bad but its like its glowing around the logo when it appears

Heel

Ive had this tv for a while but do you guys notice flashlighting around a logo on a black screen? It looks pretty bad but i dunno if its just a deficiency of the tv or maybe it needs to be warrantied. On a black screen with no logo showing it isnt as bad but its like its glowing around the logo when it appears

Just a deficiency of the TV due to the limited number of dimming zones.

I've had strange volume issues this last week or so. The receiver option has disappeared and when tv sound option is selected it plays from the receiver now instead. Must have been an update as nothing else has changed.

Ok, me it was really the controller not responding. I saw on some Samsung forums they told me to remove the batteries, hold any button on the controller for 20 seconds and put the batteries back in and it solved it. For now...

_RT_

Yeah, I'm curious if anyone has a solution that they know for sure is safe to use. I do have a mark on the screen from the factory that is possibly a fingerprint. Can't tell if it's on or under the screen. No amount of wiping with water and microfiber would remove it, and I've heard a lot of bad stories of people using cleaners that ruin the coating on this panel.

Other than that, I only touch the screen with the included microfiber cloth to swipe the dust off. The coating on this panel is notoriously delicate.

I've used this on my laptops and my TV since purchase. Works incredibly well.
https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Cleaner-Spray-Kit-Microfiber/dp/B0047E8DN6

Not sure why but my TV I cant connect to the wifi..sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldnt..Ive tried everything, resetting the router, changing the DNS to 8888..but nothing works..ever since the new update the wifi sometimes works and sometimes doesnt and I am not sure why

Has this been posted? Someone on Reddit says KS seris HDMI ports have been upgraded to HDMI 2.0b.

Tests using external devices that support HLG (Oppo and the Samsung M9500/M8500 blu ray players) confirm that the ports are now HDMI 2.0b, as HLG can be displayed over HDMI as of firmware 1203.

I don't know what that means.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheate..._samsung_ks_series_tv_owners_hdmi_ports_have/

What is HDMi 2.0b for, and I thought this couldn't be done via firm ware but hardware.

noomi

every time I see this thread on the front page I think "yesss, that must mean that the game mode HDR thing is fixed!"

and then I look, scroll, and become disappointed yet again.

I know this isn't "gaming settings" related, but does anyone have an Apple TV 4K and this TV?

If so, what settings are you using? I feel like I'm having to keep HDR switched off on my Apple TV since it tries to "upconvert" all content to HDR before sending the signal to the TV, which results in a very dim picture for non-HDR content and I can't seem to brighten it, even with backlight at 20. For now, I don't mind switching HDR on only when watching HDR content, but does anyone have a solution to the dim image with native SDR content?

Syrus

Banned

I use Low or Medium. Most people on AVS agree HDR needs dynamic contrast

It has the same problem as the KS models with not having separate settings for HDR-enabled games, forcing you to adjust settings manually between the two. This problem will supposedly be fixed with an update soon:

2017 models (Kant M, MU) : Oct 12

2016 models (Jazz M, KS) : Nov 27

So it's October 12th.... Any good news?

noomi

I have an MU8500 :)

Ah, well then I hope you have some good news to share later :D

Yeah I know. Just wondering if the MU models have received the update because that would be promising news for us.

Indeed, I really hope that Samsung follows through with this. It's the only thing about this set that I dislike currently. Other than that, it's the best display I've ever owned.

ornery

F8D7rIur.jpg

disappointed.

edit; currently on firmware 1144

Different tv but figured this might be the best place to ask,
what should typically be done with advanced settings like
Noise reduction
Black stretch
Dynamic contrast
Gamma
120 PMR
4K UHD upscaling