• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Times: Raven And Sledgehammer Helping Finish Modern Warfare 3 For Fall Release

I hope Raven working on MW3 doesn't delay their Bond game or anything else their working on. Their talent is better used elsewhere instead of churning out annual Cods.

hamchan

Y'know what? This isn't even bad news at all. Considering how much Raven is under appreciated by Activision it's good that they now have a shot at the biggest FPS franchise ever. They're also the best FPS developers, besides Treyarch, that Activision has.

maximum360 said:
To each his own I guess. MW2 with its flaws was just overall a more fun experience. Black Ops is worse in the graphics and audio department and the multiplayer experience is just lacking. I had a bunch of friends always online playing MW2 and were extremely hyped for Black Ops. After playing it they realized that it's the modern warfare short bus version. They rarely play it as much and when they do it's the butt of jokes most of the time.

It's a shame what happened with Inifity Ward. Why ruin a good thing? The next game would have absolutely destroyed sales records for a long time to come but now like with Black Ops, after the hype is gone, if the game isn't stellar it will be put in the same category as all the other fair to subpar shooters.

The facts speak for themselves... Black Ops has sold bazillions, is the most played console game multiplayer-wise by far, and top it off 99% of the gamers playing it (I played for a while too) think it's fucking awesome. There will always be a few people who preferred MW2, or think Black Ops took some missteps, but don't be fooled into thinking that it is in anyway the 'shortbus' version - for every person I know that thinks MW2 was more fun, there are 3 that I'm sure are about to get Black Ops tattoos over their face because they like it that much.

As for Infinity Ward, it is a shame that a good thing was ruined... I'll be the first to admit that COD Multiplayer sits firmly in brainless, twitch, exploitable and skill-less territory, but god damn can it be fun (MW1, MW2 and Black Ops have all been fun as hell on the current formula). That being said, the writing was on the wall for a while, IW's lack of support for Treyarch, the two founders flirting with EA, and of course the biggest issue, their complete disregard for the fanbase (there are so many things wrong with MW2's multiplayer that go untouched and ignored by the developer), means that we'll never be quite sure what MW3 would have been if everything had went as planned. For all we know, this new arrangement, including the use of other studios to help could mean the best and most balanced COD game yet... if it's bad, well, I'm not sure IW could have managed anything but disappointment after MW2's MP clusterfuck.

Tron 2.0

See, I didn't think Singularity was anything special. Didn't like Wolfenstein much at all.

So Raven's involvement is not really good news to me.

webrunner

Tron 2.0 said:
You're describing the entire video game industry, not just Activision.

All of the major studios have one or two large franchises that keep them afloat. If one of those tanks, they're screwed.

Name one major publisher that is actually diversified.

It's not a question of franchises, it's a question of what you do with it.

Infinity Ward revitalized the war shooter with Modern Warfare, Call of Duty, remember, was a WW2 shooter, and if they kept doing WW2 shooters, and WW2 shooters were dying.

But now, it doesn't look like it's going to happen again. And Activision doesn't seem interested in doing anything but riding on the existing success snowball. Yes, it keeps getting bigger, but the mountain doesn't go forever.

Other companies often try new mountains, see if stuff sticks, or at least push their existing stuff forward enough so that they keep bringing people back without making them sick of it.

A modern CoD a year is going to hurt them in a couple of years.

Kusagari

maximum360 said:
To each his own I guess. MW2 with its flaws was just overall a more fun experience. Black Ops is worse in the graphics and audio department and the multiplayer experience is just lacking. I had a bunch of friends always online playing MW2 and were extremely hyped for Black Ops. After playing it they realized that it's the modern warfare short bus version. They rarely play it as much and when they do it's the butt of jokes most of the time.

It's a shame what happened with Inifity Ward. Why ruin a good thing? The next game would have absolutely destroyed sales records for a long time to come but now like with Black Ops, after the hype is gone, if the game isn't stellar it will be put in the same category as all the other fair to subpar shooters.

BO has its fair share of problems but it's still still better than MW2's horrid mess of stacking killstreaks and noob tubers.

Raven will do fine. They are building upon an already well established multiplayer foundation. And if Activision has thrown this much at MW3, whose to say they wont ask treyarch to step in alittle if its not meeting deadlines?

I'm more sad/worried about Sledgehammers future/space marine CoD being potentially delayed. If we have to have a CoD every year, a new setting and premise would have been nice. I'm tired of building and jet bombing set pieces. GIVE ME SPACE SHIPS AND LAZERS.

webrunner said:

Infinity Ward revitalized the war shooter with Modern Warfare, Call of Duty, remember, was a WW2 shooter, and if they kept doing WW2 shooters, and WW2 shooters were dying.

But now, it doesn't look like it's going to happen again. And Activision doesn't seem interested in doing anything but riding on the existing success snowball. Yes, it keeps getting bigger, but the mountain doesn't go forever.

Other companies often try new mountains, see if stuff sticks, or at least push their existing stuff forward enough so that they keep bringing people back without making them sick of it.

I remember reading somewhere that Activision didn't want IW to make MW and instead make more WW2 shooters.

fernoca

I do wonder if part of Treyarch is going to step in and work on a possible Wii version, or just ignore it since MW2 never made it to Wii.

Zizbuka

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

COD players aren't as braindead as Activision would like to believe. Most Black Ops players know that it was made by the B studio and they'll know that MW3 is being made by some no name company this year. You can expect sales to be nowhere near Black Ops/MW2 levels.

But the average CoD player is an inbred hick, and they all share 1 brain cell.

I read that somewhere.....................

Tron 2.0

webrunner said:

Isn't that what the Sledgehammer game is going to be?

I guess we'll just have to disagree.

I don't think Activision is doing anything differently then, say, EA with their major franchises.

Consider:

"A Madden a year is going to hurt them in a couple of years."

Of course, Activision doesn't have a monopoly on war shooters.

Mooreberg

Tron 2.0 said:
"A Madden a year is going to hurt them in a couple of years."

Of course, Activision doesn't have a monopoly on war shooters.

I'm guessing EA has a contractual obligation to release a new Madden every year since they have exclusive rights. Not that they wouldn't anyway.

Mooreberg

This game is probably going to sell a ton no matter what, but it could start the downward trend on the next release if people aren't that happy with it. They probably will be though if the last two games are any indication.

rpmurphy

fernoca said:
I do wonder if part of Treyarch is going to step in and work on a possible Wii version, or just ignore it since MW2 never made it to Wii.
I doubt there's much hope for one. Also maybe even no 3DS version this time? I wonder how n-Space is doing currently.

Top Bottom