• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L/RTTP: Final Fantasy X-2

Tenebrous

Well, what can I say... It's Final Fantasy X-2.

tumblr_n8tg3xgNfE1rtbkkjo1_r2_500.gif

Despite buying the game on launch, I ended up (like a lot of people) dismissing X-2 pretty quickly. X is hardly my favourite game in the world, but at least I made it to the end of that one, but to this day, X-2 remains the only console Final Fantasy game I'm yet to beat. Although that's going to change... I was digging through a few boxes of old games and came across X-2, and decided, after more than ten years, I'm going to give it another chance. Ripped the ISO to PC, set up the emulator, and went on my way...

"WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?"

Ah, shit... This was a bad idea. Okay, man, stick with it... Maybe it'll get better.

The combat is just fantastic, perhaps even to the point I'd call it the best in any console Final Fantasy game. I know that's a pretty big shout, but the fact there's no fucking about with junctioning or sphere grids already makes it better than VIII & X, and leveling up skill sets independently strikes me as being more entertaining than all the other titles. I also love the fluidity of combat, and how quickly dress-spheres are changed compared to summons in games like VIII.

That's the only objectively positive thing about Final Fantasy X-2 that I can point towards, but I do like some of the less flattering elements of the game, too.

The cast is fucking atrocious. Brother looks like Keith Flint from The Prodigy, Shinra makes stupid noises when he walks, Yuna is still as boring as a toilet seat, Rikku is now thankfully UK legal, at least, and Paine; Well, at least she isn't as bad as Squall, I guess? She definitely isn't as bad as Tidus. Leblanc and her buddies, more religious warfare between "New" Yevon and another party. Sigh, it's not great.

The plot & storytelling is beyond help. You'd think Yuna, a huge believer in all things good in the world, would be against shooting folk in the face so you can steal herself inconsequential spheres, but apparently not. The idea of traveling across the world in a mighty airship to track some potato quality footage of pretty irrelevant footage except "WHO THE HECK IS LENNE?!?" seems a tad ridiculous to me. Also, the idea of chasing after Tidus, my most hated character in the history of the franchise, makes me kinda sad inside.

But... It's great fun. The script is so poor, the characters so outrageous, the voice acting is so bad, the scenarios are so ridiculous, and the outfits are so bizarre that the game is actually (unintentionally) laugh-out-loud funny on occasions. FF is a franchise that often misplaces itself in terms of character mood & development as well as player reaction to said things, but with X-2, it's not something you really think about. Just lay back, enjoy the change of pace, laugh when you wanna laugh, and cringe when you wanna cringe.

Outrageous opinion time (although it's subject to change by the time I beat the game). Final Fantasy X-2 is a more enjoyable game than any other PS2/PS3 Final Fantasy game. Moreso than X, XII, XIII & the sequels. Yeah I said it.

(It's still terrible, though!) - 6 >= 9 > 7 = 4 > 5 >>>>> 10-2

The battle system was really quite good and the two paths were interesting. But the story and characters were just awful and probably only appealed to you more now since FF13 exists.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't good by any stretch.

Tenebrous

The battle system was really quite good and the two paths were interesting. But the story and characters were just awful and probably only appealed to you more now since FF13 exists.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't good by any stretch.

That's pretty much where I stand. I'm enjoying it, but it's not a good game. Kinda like grabbing a McDonalds or something on the way home... You know it's shit, but you still enjoy every bit of it.

Top Bottom