• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Chilindrina meets Stranger Things - Netflix knows whats up

boiled goose

good with gravy
You misunderstand.
He's saying it's wrong that she's known/amazing to Hispanics in general, as Spanish people are hispanic and do not know her or the series.

Since when do Spanish aka Europeans become Hispanic, because their not.. their not Latino their not Hispanic, their white Europeans..

Labels are used differently in different contexts get over it. Also, plenty of Latin Americans, Hispanics, etc are genetically identical to "white Europeans". Race, ethnicity, etc. Are not neat perfect categories.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I usually love it when Netflix does the funny regional stuff here (they use a lot of trashy pop culture icons and has-beens, it's usually hilarious), but this video made me uncomfortable.

I'm Brazilian and familiar with the character (they released a BR version of the same video with a dubbed Chilindrina), you'll have a hard time finding someone in Brazil around 30 years old who wasn't into El Chavo. This just felt off to me though.

studyguy

People earlier in this thread shitting on Chavo lmao get the fuck outta here fam.
Regardless of what you think of it now people will have fond memories of it growing up and it is absolutely part of pop culture, just gotta deal w/ it.

Reversed

If María Antonieta didn't claim rights on the character, could she be in a Blim commercial? (shudders) A plus on that decision.

AdanVC

I haven't watched Stranger Things but this was really cool though lol. El Chavo del Ocho however, was among my favorite shows as a kid. Chilindrina's dad, Don Ramón, was the GOAT character of the series. He was the most kind, humble and funniest character of the gang. He was the one suffering the most infortunate stuff and that's what made him being more memorable. Here's this brilliant and funny as hell scene from 1973 as an example. When Don Ramón gets hit by a car and is preparing a sandwich but El Chavo comes to disturb and ruin everything. And when I mean everything I mean EVERYTHING! Lol. Pure comedy at it's finest IMO.

Uh, Hispanics is correct. The term 'Hispanic' never includes Spaniards.
Yes it does, per definition.

Labels are used differently in different contexts get over it. Also, plenty of Latin Americans, Hispanics, etc are genetically identical to "white Europeans". Race, ethnicity, etc. Are not neat perfect categories.

Well sure, but there are still definitions for certain words.
There is nothing to get over. It's simply a question of language, and I like discussing language.

To my knowledge, spanish people are hispanic, latin, and not latinos.
Every written source I've found supports this, and if you think it's wrong, you're welcome to show me.
I do this because I like to precise in my language, so I'll gladly be corrected.
I do admit I think it's unlikely, seeing how a Spanish person agreed with me.

Um...What?

I've never heard of her.
On topic and because of my off topic definitions rant: where are you from, then?
Edit: I see, Cuban. Interesting.

What's with all the Latinos here hating on El Chavo Del Ocho? The fuck?

The show is a, and I'm not even trying to be sarcastic here, comedic masterpiece. It had constant reruns here for over 30 freaking years. People from completely different generations, economic backgrounds and tastes all love this show. Why? Because it's way too fucking good, for everyone. I can still laugh while watching some old clips, for fucks sake. If you grew up with it and don't like it, I'm sorry but you're an weird-ass motherfucker.

I you feel confused as to why some people find it stupid even if they are Latin american, the el Chavo TV show is our Madea in a sense. The higher class often looks down on it, while people in rural towns often love the characters' simple humor.

Sometimes less challenging humor is just not as pretentious and easier to get into.

I can appreciate what this short was trying to do.

Metroxed

Uh, Hispanics is correct. The term 'Hispanic' never includes Spaniards.

'Hispanic' means "culturally related to Spain", and its original meaning (and still current meaning in Spanish) is "native Spanish-speaker".

Following both meanings, Spaniards are Hispanic. Unless you give 'Hispanic' that weird pseudo-racial meaning that I've only seen Americans do.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

The show is a, and I'm not even trying to be sarcastic here, comedic masterpiece. It had constant reruns here for over 30 freaking years. People from completely different generations, economic backgrounds and tastes all love this show. Why? Because it's way too fucking good, for everyone. I can still laugh while watching some old clips, for fucks sake. If you grew up with it and don't like it, I'm sorry but you're an weird-ass motherfucker.

Wow.

You're sound really childish getting this upset at people's tastes not aligning with yours.

I saw some of these shows briefly growing up, but Cuban humor is so not the same as Mexican humor. I'm sorry. Then again, we've existed in a cultural time capsule thanks to the dictatorship for decades.

Shit was always cringe as fuck to me, even as a kid.

I wouldn't expect any other South/Central American/islanders to know about some obscure Cuban comedy show just because for some odd reason it got featured in a marketing push.

Armadilo

Banned
Holy shit we need a Gaf Professor up in this Bitch to talk about Latinos, Hispanics and people from Spain. Somebody needs to settle this shit

Wildo09

I love El Chavo, almost as much as Cantinflas, it brings back great childhood memories.

Edit: As far as I know latinamericans are people from Mexico, central América and south america including brazil, as well as the ex spanish colonies in the Caribbean. Hispanoamericans are people from the american continent including the Caribbean that have spanish as their first language, this does not include spain.

But when speaking about hispanos in general it does include people from Spain.

studyguy

GAF getting angry at Chavo-related material is the most GAF shit ever.
The show is ubiquitous virtually anywhere Spanish is spoken, I can understand people being too young but literal generations were raised on this.

tbm24

I love El Chavo, almost as much as Cantinflas, it brings back great childhood memories.

Edit: As far as I know latinamericans are people from Mexico, central América and south america including brazil, as well as the ex spanish colonies in the Caribbean. Hispanoamericans are people from the american continent including the Caribbean that have spanish as their first language, this does not include spain.

But when speaking about hispanos in general it does include people from Spain.
I don’t think I can handle people shitting on Cantinflas. Seeing El Chavo essentially described as poor people humor is something else, and bullshit but I’m not going to pretend to know what high brow folks in other Latin American countries found funny.

Chao

To Latin Americans, you mean. She's virtually unknown here in Spain.
Eh... Not really. Chavo is widely known in Spain, they aired tons of reruns in the 90s and 2000s here both in autonomic and national channels.
The only way to not know who will Chavo is in Spain is by being a kid under 18 today

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Holy shit we need a Gaf Professor up in this Bitch to talk about Latinos, Hispanics and people from Spain. Somebody needs to settle this shit

I think it's pretty straightforward.

Hispanic is word used to define people hailing from former Spanish colonies.

It's not a race.

It's a blanket term for a multitude of cultures with one thing in common: having been colonized by Spain.

I'm not particularly fond of it, either. Especially when it's used to equate your race with your culture, which are pretty diverse when you think of it.

It's pretty demeaning "American" thing to try and describe a huge subset of cultures as a "race" by being trampled on by white Europeans colonizers.

mantidor

GAF getting angry at Chavo-related material is the most GAF shit ever.

Seriously what dumpster fire. Chespirito was *huge* in its day, probably the biggest TV show in Latinamerica.

This short was creepy though, Maria Antonieta is too old now, I preferred the one they did with Xuxa for season 1 that was amazing.

Edit: for Americans still lost, this mess of a thread is kind of if some kids starting to shit on "I love Lucy".

RM8

Chespirito is harmless at worst. I can understand not enjoying it (I'm not a fan myself), but it certainly doesn't generate strong aversion on me, so I find some posts here quite weird. I think the comparison with Friends in this thread is quite apt - the humour is pretty stupid and the show is dated, but it was massively popular and absolutely not a negative thing that should be hated on.

Zhengi

Holy shit, this is one of the most amazing videos I have ever seen. Lol. I loved it. So much nostalgia.

Good marketing Netflix.

HardRojo

I actually liked El Chapulin Colorado and the other skits (Chompiras, Chaparrón and Chapatin) better than El Chavo :p
No, she’s is not

D:

That show is one of the worst thing that could’ve been broadcasted on Mexican TV.
You sound like my dad lol, he wouldn't let me watch Chespirito in peace, always complaining about it and shit. I wish kids nowadays watched that instead of all the shitty gossip-filled crap we have, now that is infuriating and awful TV (taking about local Peruvian gossip shows).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Seriously what dumpster fire. Chespirito was *huge* in its day, probably the biggest TV show in Latinamerica.

This short was creepy though, Maria Antonieta is too old now, I preferred the one they did with Xuxa for season 1 that was amazing.

Edit: for Americans still lost, this mess of a thread is kind of if some kids starting to shit on "I love Lucy".

Old ass people playing little kids is a really weird trope that I don't get why it's so popular in Latin America.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I really liked the show as a kid, but grew out of it. I don't find it funny anymore, just silly. I won't deny its appeal though, it was universally loved and managed to stay relevant for decades.

jstripes

Banned
I was exposed to Chavo for the first time this year while on vacation, and I loved it, even though I just barely understand Spanish. Interesting mash-up.

Eh... Not really. Chavo is widely known in Spain, they aired tons of reruns in the 90s and 2000s here both in autonomic and national channels.
The only way to not know who will Chavo is in Spain is by being a kid under 18 today

Yup, althought I have to say ive never seen reruns of el chavo since before the 2000's dissapeared from La 2.
Maybe some autonomic tvs still do them, or did them during the first years of the 2000's?

My sister is 23 and i think she doesnt know about it, she was too small when it was popular i think.

v1lla21

Chavo was pretty big in Latin America a long time ago. hell I think I remember reading here that it was pretty big in Brazil as well. I’m not a big fan of it or anything but seeing people come and talk shit about an old ass show is pretty funny.

DeviantBoi

I asked a Spanish teacher about the whole Hispano/Latino thing

Hispanos... Spanish-speaking countries (includes Spain, but not Brazil cause they speak Portuguese)

Hispanoamericanos... Same as above, but, obviously, only American countries

Latinos... Short for Latino Americanos, so only includes American countries

Iberoamericanos... American countries colonized by the countries of the Iberian peninsula (so this does include Brazil, but not the US or Canada)

It's people born in the 80s/early 90s that watched it. Those under 24-25 were too young when it aired.

mantidor

Chespirito is harmless at worst. I can understand not enjoying it (I'm not a fan myself), but it certainly doesn't generate strong aversion on me, so I find some posts here quite weird. I think the comparison with Friends in this thread is quite apt - the humour is pretty stupid and the show is dated, but it was massively popular and absolutely not a negative thing that should be hated on.

Even Friends is too modern (or I am too old :p) Chespirito's TV programs were more in line as I said with I love Lucy, or even I dream of Jeannie/Bewitched. It's more on the side of slapstick than snark, I get this kind of humor is lost in young people now but to hate it is something else.

Old ass people playing little kids is a really weird trope that I don't get why it's so popular in Latin America.

Humor, I guess. The show is comedy, grown people playing "dumb" is a very old trope. Also the show portrayed a reality of Latinoamérica, abandoned kids, poor families struggling to pay rent, lack and/or disdain for work, class segregation/bullying, etc, etc, if you didn't feel identified with at least something you were simply too removed from LatinAmerican culture.

Metroxed

Everyone is saying so, but I don't know. I grew up in the 90s and never heard anyone talking about it and the first time I heard about it was when visiting Latin America. El Chavo isn't as culturally ubiquitous here either, you won't see people repeating some of the catchphrases or any other pop culture phenomena related to El Chavo, while that is super common in LatAm.

Unless it was just never a thing where I lived and it was in others, I don't know.

Everyone is saying so, but I don't know. I grew up in the 90s and never heard anyone talking about it and the first time I heard about it was when visiting Latin America. El Chavo isn't as culturally ubiquitous here either, you won't see people repeating some of the catchphrases or any other pop culture phenomena related to El Chavo, while that is super common in LatAm.

Unless it was just never a thing where I lived and it was in others, I don't know.

The show's heyday was during the 1970s. It was then broadly exported and everyone who I knew that was familiar with it grew up with it in reruns during the 80s as it was relatively kid-friendly.

I'm not sure it was as big during the 1990s.

So it's definitely a generational thing, much like a lot of the cultural references from Stranger Things itself.

I asked a Spanish teacher about the whole Hispano/Latino thing

Hispanos... Spanish-speaking countries (includes Spain, but not Brazil cause they speak Portuguese)

Hispanoamericanos... Same as above, but, obviously, only American countries

Latinos... Short for Latino Americanos, so only includes American countries

Iberoamericanos... American countries colonized by the countries of the Iberian peninsula (so this does include Brazil)

The confusion comes thanks to american english, that uses it to try to group the different ethnicities from Latinoamerica.

No italian or spaniard would identify himself as "latino". But both Italy and Spain are latin countries, with a latin culture, and a latin language. The term literally comes from Latium/Lazio, a region in Italy.

Eila

For some reason El Chavo seems to be more popular in Brazil than even Mexico.
That last laugh was creepy.

CRS

Nuke this entire thread.

People hating on El Chavo and Chespirito. I think someone even hated La India Maria. Shameful.

DeviantBoi

The confusion comes thanks to american english, that uses it to try to group the different ethnicities from Latinoamerica.

No italian or spaniard would identify himself as "latino". But both Italy and Spain are latin countries, with a latin culture, and a latin language. The term literally comes from Latium/Lazio, a region in Italy.

Hispanos includes Spain but not Brazil. Latinos include Brazil but not Spain.

That's basically what it comes down to.

French and Italian are derived from Latin, but they would never call themselves Latinos.

Hispanos includes Spain but not Brazil. Latinos include Brazil but not Spain.

That's basically what it comes down to.

French and Italian are derived from Latin, but they would never call themselves Latinos.

That's if you use the american meaning and are talking about ethnicity.
Using latino to talk about culture it's when it gets messy.
Cultura latina =/ cultura latinoamericana

That's if you use the american meaning and are talking about ethnicity.
If you use latino to talk about culture it's when it gets messy.
Cultura latina =/ cultura latinoamericana

Fun fact "cultura latina" is a latin american magazine here in Austria.

But yeah, it gets messy when you switch to the Castilian language. If we go by English dictionaries, it's all very simple.

As i said, it was part of kid culture in the early 90's, it was the last thing of La 2 evening week cartoon (and some girls anime) block (so from kids returning for school to eat la merienda up to nearly 8pm), then you changed the channel to Antena 3 to see the end of Alta Tension with Constatino Romero and then The Simpsons at 8pm, and after that Impacto TV before the 9pm news. Nearly every kid talk about this stuff at school the next day (how stupid/fun was el chavo/Don Ramon is the best part of the show; was that a new episode of the simpsons?/Oh shit, the babysitter episode again ("some enchanted evening" for americans) here comes a full rerun; fuck, did you saw that man doing something stupid and being killed in impacto TV?...)
Weekend mornings was Club Disney (first in TVE then in Tele5), and if you were a kid in Cataluña or Valencia you had Super 3 and Babala with amazing anime blocks (Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Dr Slump, Musculman, just to name a few...)
It was a good time to be a kid.

And "Fue sin querer queriendo" from El Chavo is a phrase ive heard a lot of other people say here, even if its not anything as cultural attached to us as catchphrases from Chicho terremoto or Humor Amarillo.

Top Bottom