• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La. Judge banned from local restaurant after calling black patron "Fat nigger"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No etiquette,sir?

http://www.theroot.com/white-la-jud..._source=theroot_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

je4jjpsxlplobvmaoidr.jpg
When Louisiana Judge Mike Erwin noticed a man share his seat with a black woman in crowded Baton Rouge, La., establishment Sammy’s Grill on Feb. 3, he allegedly spewed, “You should have made her get her fat nigger ass up.”

Kaneitra Johnson, a resident of Baton Rouge, shared her traumatic experience in a public Facebook post that has been shared 183 times to date. She went into even further detail with the Rouge Collection, stating:

“I’m halfway on the seat and the Lyft driver is on the other half of the seat,” Johnson said. “Then he asked for his jacket. All of a sudden I hear this older man behind me tell the Lyft driver, ‘You never give up your seat for a n*gger.’”

As Johnson and the driver sat side by side, the older man continues, “You should have made her get her fat n*gger a** up.”
Johnson says that it was only after police arrived on the scene that she learned the racist white man in question was Judge Mike Erwin of Louisiana’s 19th Judicial District Court, which covers East Baton Rouge.

Neither police officers nor management at Sammy’s Grill held Ervin accountable in any way for his words at the time, Johnson said on Facebook.

That has since changed, according to Sammy’s Grill Manager Andy McKay.

“I wasn’t there that night, so I can’t comment on the details, but I know police were called,” McKay told The Root. “I can also tell you that the owner Sammy Nagem has made it clear that Judge Erwin is no longer welcome here.

“We will refuse his business,” McKay added.

According to the website for Louisiana’s 19th District, Erwin was an assistant city prosecutor in Baton Rouge City Court from 1979 to 1981. He then served as an assistant district attorney with the East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney’s Office from 1981 to 1990 before his election to the 19th Judicial District Court in 1991.

This means he’s had the lives of black men and women in his hands for a very long time. While racism is both covert and overt, if Erwin will call a black woman a nigger in a crowded restaurant, his capacity for institutional, racist violence is vast—and he should not be serving on anyone’s bench.

Calls to both Nagem and Ervin were not returned at the time this article was published. We will update if they respond.

Happy Black history month!

RPGCrazied

Wow, disgusting. This guy needs to be impeached, removed or whatever. He should not be wearing the black robes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i wonder how many young black men became old black men in jail because of this man's racism

RinsFury

Wonder how many innocent people are behind bars because of this racist white piece of shit. They should all have their cases reopened.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Traded in his white hood for a black robe

So brazen. As the article points out, you have to wonder where his racism has brought his rulings as a judge.

What's the problem? Guy sees Compromised Donald, Sessions and Bannon go to the top because of their racism, can we really judge him for thinking America was back great again?

Couleurs

Has he tried the "bwuhhhhh!? I didn't even know that was a racist term" defense like the politicians who had articles about them forwarding Obama monkey joke emails?

smurfx

get some go again
kinda happy trump has emboldened people like this into outing themselves. if he had not he would continue giving bias sentencing to people of color.

All decisions of his should be under review. But they won't be.

Maybe SPLC or ACLU could force the issue I guess. But I don't have high hopes for LA.

Rran

Holy crap--I used to work at that courthouse, so his name was instantly recognizable to me (though I mainly dealt in the Civil Suit records department) :O

EDIT: and Sammy's Grill is pretty tasty--good on them for banning the racist asshole

Skilletor

If only.

I'm hoping people are looking at this and realizing how many bigots are in high places and how much of a toll that power takes on the black populous.

Too busy being mad about terms like White Fragility or movies with titles like Dear White People.

I mean, it's really unfortunate that he was having a bad day and used this language. Thankfully, we know that he's a good man with a good heart, and would never have used his power and influence as a Judge to disparage black people and invoke an agenda.

The sad thing is I bet he's not even close to the only one. Having appeared in front of quite a few judges I've suspected there are a few even in California given how they treat minorities, both clients and attorneys.

Kelsdesu

His entire career should be reviewed. All of the metrics involving race,gender, sexual orientation and anything else, but sadly it won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom