• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire might be $10 more expensive on Switch due to cartridges

FyreWulff

It's ok for me.

That rule from Nintendo is of course pure bs where physical games needs to have the same price as the digital versions but I'm just happy that they don't say it's digital only to sell it cheaper like other indie developer.

I'm just happy that I can get it physically.

MS and Sony have it too, it's to not piss off the retail stores. Have to remember office politics are a heavy presence in the industry.

maxresdefault.jpg

gtj1092

Nintendo already has to be subsidizing these costs versus Sony and MS. I can guarantee you they're making less per unit on manufacturing at these prices than the others are.

How can you guarantee that?

And why would they be willing to make less you if you argued they were unwilling to eat the cost of additional storage?

Owari

That sucks. The game is already not highly anticipated. Now no one will buy it and rockstar won't port their actual games over. Lame.

Ridley327

MS and Sony have it too, it's to not piss off the retail stores. Have to remember office politics are a heavy presence in the industry.

Even despite the big downturn in their business, Gamestop still has a lot of power to be able to pull off big exclusives, like Destiny 2's LE being exclusive to their stores. You ignore your potential retail presence at your own peril.

Jubenhimer

I will say that I don't think the Switch tax will be as big of a problem as what some people think. Ultra Street Fighter II did surprisingly fine at the insane $40 asking price, as did 1-2 Switch at $50. So people may put up with some games being more expensive as long as they can take the game with them. Remember, the Switch's primary target audience doesn't care that there's better looking versions, they care about the fact that they can take the game with them.

Fiendcode

How can you guarantee that?

And why would they be willing to make less you if you argued they were unwilling to eat the cost of additional storage?
Cute strawman. At $299 Nintendo's already eating as much as they could on Switch hardware considering the technology packed in. This is apples to oranges anyway.

Sony and MS have HUGE markups on their Bluray replication fees. The cost of pressing a disc and printing inserts is going to be well under $2 yet they charge 3rd parties around $6-9 for it depending on the retail pricepoint. It's basically impossible for Nintendo to be making those kinds of margins per unit on custom mask roms at the cost rates we're hearing about.

Astral Dog

So one should not take into account the advantages of each console when deciding on what version of the game to buy? Or are you just arguing semantics, because "being able to play at home and on the go" is exactly the same as "getting a handheld version and home console version," in terms of what they actually mean. I'm really confused as to why someone can't consider the portability of the Switch as a bonus in their decision to buy LA Noire for it. Can someone not cite, say, free online and KB+M support as a reason they'd prefer Destiny 2 on PC because they're inherent features of the console?

Note that I'm not saying it's a justification for the flat $10 increase, but more a reason for why someone might be more susceptible to it than they would have been otherwise. This ain't like the N64 where, say, Resi 2 might have costed $10+ more despite offering no real benefits.

It being a better rounded figure isn't really a good excuse (not that you're saying it is). We have those prices in the UK all the time due to currency conversions and nobody's confused or perplexed; hell, LA Noire itself is £35/£45 here.
There also disadvantages on the Switch version like worse Graphics, framerate, motion controls,IQ etc
I will say that I don't think the Switch tax will be as big of a problem as what some people think. Ultra Street Fighter II did surprisingly fine at the insane $40 asking price, as did 1-2 Switch at $50. So people may put up with some games being more expensive as long as they can take the game with them. Remember, the Switch's primary target audience doesn't care that there's better looking versions, they care about the fact that they can take the game with them.
That sounds a bit Anti consumer

Plum

There also disadvantages on the Switch version like worse Graphics, framerate, motion controls,IQ etc

And yeah, you'll have to take those into account before buying the game. I've pre-ordered the Switch version (for £30, fuck paying £45 for this) because I'm fine trading lower graphical fidelity for the ability to play the game without being tied to a screen.

EDIT: Just saw motion controls... wut

Jubenhimer

Don't get me wrong, I'm against the Switch tax if there's no real justification to it, and I definitely don't want this to become standard across the board for all Switch games. All I'm saying is that as long as the port is good, Switch players will buy it due to the fact that they can take it with them.

FyreWulff

Even despite the big downturn in their business, Gamestop still has a lot of power to be able to pull off big exclusives, like Destiny 2's LE being exclusive to their stores. You ignore your potential retail presence at your own peril.

What people often don't know about or forget, games are pitched to retailers too. If a retailer doesn't think a game will sell, publishers will kill it off or won't persue it.

dahuman

Neo Member
I'd buy GTA5 on Switch but not LA Noire since I already paid for the PS3 version and PC versions of LA Noire lol. My max for any game is about 2 copies.

At 40 dollars, if the amount for blu-ray production, packaging, shipping and console fees are around 40% of the revenue (16 dollars), a 10 dollar hike makes sense.

ZhugeEX says Nintendo charges 60% more for these fees when ordering 32GB cards. He's not saying they charge 16 dollars per card. The expenses doesn't stop with the manufacturing of the cards at all.

If the fees are OVER 16 dollars for blu-rays, that means Nintendo's fees are so high, they actually make less money per Switch game sold, even with the higher price.

Pulling these numbers out of my ass though, as we don't know the actual price of the fees.

Instro

Yeah we've been over this already with this game and others. @ZhugeEx even went into it the other day.

img_20170909_141348-9kra82.jpg
Maybe I'm dumb, but 60% more than the cost of a Blu-ray disc doesn't strike me as very much at all. Certainly doesn't explain a $10 price difference.

That sucks. The game is already not highly anticipated. Now no one will buy it and rockstar won't port their actual games over. Lame.

Nah, I'll buy it if somehow there is Rift support and it is good. What an odd paint brush you seem to be using...

So regarding pricing and dealing with percentages verses blu rays. I found this website that is obviously not equipped to handle the manufacturing needs of the likes of major corporations like Sony, MS or any large Movie studio. So they are probably getting prices cheaper than this. But here is the link.

https://www.dvdcopycat.com/action/P...im&inserta=INSERT_BLURAY&finishing=SHRINKWRAP

As you can see for the full packaging on a 50 Gig Blu Ray Disc it is roughly $2.50 if the increase in price is 60% as mentioned before that is an extra $1.50 to $4.00. So someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but it feels like to me that first of all my numbers are probably high because huge companies can make much better deals than the first google result I found but whatever its a baseline. However Nintendo Is charging an Extra $10 to every customer because it is costing them at most an extra $1.50(again almost assuredly less) per cart. Thats a fucked up thing to do. I can understand wanting to charge round numbers but if anything they could have just marked it up $5.00 instead to not be greedy fucks in my eyes. Its all profits after that first $1.50.

None of which matter in this sort of game. I'd rather save a few bucks and have higher resolution.

Edit: Switch is definitely going to be a first party machine for me. It's going to be rare for me to buy a big AAA third party on this machine.

This will be me as well.

Retail "collections" like Revelations or bullshit like the NBA game are a no go for me.

killatopak

Switch tax.

I hate this. Any other handheld game would be priced lower. I hope this isn't the situation going forward.

Maybe I'm dumb, but 60% more than the cost of a Blu-ray disc doesn't strike me as very much at all. Certainly doesn't explain a $10 price difference.

I'm sure this isn't right, but someone on hear said blu rays with packaging and all cost $1.50-$1.60 per unit. That makes a switch game at 60% more $2.56 might as well round it up to $10 because that makes sense.

bomblord1

Banned

You can't just use that word as a catch all buzzword with no retort for anything you don't like. If the cost of something can be reasonably justified and it's not just being hiked for the sake of it it's not "anti-consumer".

Fiendcode

Welcome to N64 vs PlayStation kids but at least cartridges are close to the size of disc this time around.
Costs are much closer now too. Switch cards are universally much cheaper than N64 carts were (which could exceed $20/unit, it was insane) while PS4 Blurays are a little pricier than PS1 CD-roms were.

Fiendcode

I'm sure this isn't right, but someone on hear said blu rays with packaging and all cost $1.50-$1.60 per unit. That makes a switch game at 60% more $2.56 might as well round it up to $10 because that makes sense.
Again $1.50 isn't what 3rd parties pay. It might be what Sony and MS pay but it isn't what they charge.

Petrae

Switch tax.

I hate this. Any other handheld game would be priced lower. I hope this isn't the situation going forward.

With the death of the dedicated handheld comes the death of the handheld game price point.

If you're a Switch owner and want physical games, you're going to have to get used to paying a premium for them or waiting for a price drop that may or may not happen. It sucks, but that's why I use Best Buy's GCU to make prices a bit more palatable.

tebunker

Banned
Again $1.50 isn't what 3rd parties pay. It might be what Sony and MS pay but it isn't what they charge.

People forget the per game license fees that publishers pay to have games on a platform. This is also why digital isn't cheaper at msrp than psychical. Now instead of paying $10-$15 to have a disc pressed and shipped they pay a flat $18 per $60 game but the publishers get to keep more goong forward, which is why digital sales can end up being very nice.

It is more than likely $10-12 per game based on licensing deals. That is an all in one price.

So for Nintendo who was always a little more pricey licnesing wise they are probably in that $10 to $15 range for up to 16gb carts, but once you got to 32gb it jumps to a higher tier like $16 to $19 or so per game.

Nintendo may even be eating more of the costs there we don't know. What they really need is th cost in thise 32gb carts to come down about $5 fast.

So yeah 32gb carts can definitely push the total retail price up about $10 when you factor in everything else beyond just license and packaging etc.

You can't just use that word as a catch all buzzword with no retort for anything you don't like. If the cost of something can be reasonably justified and it's not just being hiked for the sake of it it's not "anti-consumer".

Its only justifiable because some people will buy anything, even when they know they're being totally ripped off. A Nintendo Switch game should not cost more than a PS4 game, unless it has a shitload more features.

Hopefully this stays isolated on Switch and pubs don't raise prices on other platforms just to match it. Feels like thats the reason Lost Sphear is $50 on PS4.

Does that mean some digital versions of Switch games will be cheaper, or will publishers charge same higher price for digital version to match physical, because reasons?

Top Bottom