• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of 3rd party sales on NDS

SonicMegaDrive said:
True...but it will be harder for little boys and girls to get their mom and dad to buy a 129 dollar system. 99 dollars....it sounds so much more affordable, doesn't it?

That's a good point - it will be interesting to see what (if any) move Nintendo makes.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Well if Konami would just put out a new exclusive version of Megaman out on the DS, you'd start seeing some increased sales.

y'all see what I did there, rite?

GreenGlowingGoo said:
It's a little early to tell, but I think the DS Lite + NSMB is beginning beginning to kill the GBA, look at June's NPD HW charts. The GBA was low compared to everything else (well except Xbox and GCN). I expect it to decline for the rest of the year. And I really don't see a price drop till long after Pokemon.

And I still can't believe the original DS is still regular price.

Do they still manufacture the regular DS, as far as we know? I know Nintendo discontinued the original GBA a few months after the SP was introduced.

Overseer

My handheld gaming is primarily RPGs. I'm still holding out for FF3 before I lose all hope for 3rd party. I think somebody mentioned the Mother games. I'd like to see them, Chrono Trigger. I think a Boktai for the ds would be fun too.

Mooreberg

Aren't the attach rates on handhelds always much lower than consoles? I think it is the usual case of younger kids who don't spend a lot of money on games, or older people who buy some titles when they are about to go on a trip and will have some time to kill in a car or on a plane. If people are buying only 6 - 10 (if that) handheld games a year, than on a Nintendo system it is more than likely to be Nintendo games that they are buying. Even on Gamecube RE4 didn't sell particular well compared to stuff like Luigi's Mansion.

As for PSP, it will probably depend on how the games are priced. I don't think too many people are going to buy a next-gen Madden for $60 and then a PSP version for $40 (or $50). The only PSP games I've bought at full price were GTA and Syphon Filter and that is because they were of exceptional quality for handheld games.

NWO

omg rite said:
uh, you kind of forgot to mention that Cars sold better on DS than PSP, yet used the fact that the GBA one sold better than the DS one.

Why would he mention that? Then it doesn't look like doom for the 3rd parties on the DS.

Jokeropia

Amused_To_Death said:
You guys are still missing the point, of the top 20 DS games sold to date, all but one I believe are made by Nintendo. Either the 3rd party publishers don't get it (not making good games) or the fans don't want any 3rd party games? On the other hand, only 1/3 of the top 20 PSP games are made by Sony.
Like Fuzzy mentioned it's more like 6/20 not made by Nintendo, and if you look at the actual sales figures of the games you'll see that it's more a case of first party DS games selling like gangbusters than a case of PSP third parties doing much better than DS third parties.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
NWO said:
Why would he mention that? Then it doesn't look like doom for the 3rd parties on the DS.

I'm not aware of ATD's particular post history, but is he a known Sonybot?

Jokeropia

^
Nintendogs and (especially) Mario Kart are higher in the US if you include bundles and of course a lot of DS games did well in June.

(I'm not saying this as a correction of your numbers, just an addition to them.)

verplant

Jokeropia said:
^
Nintendogs and (especially) Mario Kart are higher in the US if you include bundles and of course a lot of DS games did well in June.

(I'm not saying this as a correction of your numbers, just an addition to them.)

USA: all numbers through may 2006 - I'll hope, we get more data from june soon...

jarrod

Banned
Guns N' Poops said:
Wait for Jarrod/his ethelred second account.
Jesus christ... this is like the third time you've shot this unsolicited crap my way. Don't you have something better to do, like spread some Guerilla viral marketing or something?

MrSardonic said:
i think he also forgot to mention that Cars is a shit game
I think your avatar made your comment even funnier when I read it.

Also here are the facts.
Most DS 3rd party games are shit. When these third parties don't see they sales they want materialize and try producing games for the PSP, they will see a parallax shittiness in the quality of their games, and the sales will remain piss-poor.
Now I believe Amused_to_Deaths point was that these license whoring game companies will simply move back to the GBA where the casual sales are, However that will change when pokemon hits.

Konami (almost said capcom:lol ) is producing Portrait of Ruin for the DS. Doesn't this tell you something about the profitability of the first game?
And the DS is also getting Rockman ZX, a new franchise. it simply goes to show that companies believe they can get sales when they produce games that are GOOD.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Nintendo makes MUCH more quality games that people are interested in than Sony

QFT.

Also, when third parties starts doing good software, then it's when they will sell many copies of the games.

Shit, compare the DS 3rd party library with firts party or with the PSP third party catalog. Tha games on the DS suhcks when the systems is capable to handle great games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario Kart DS (tech related)

D3VI0US

Amused_To_Death said:
You guys are still missing the point, of the top 20 DS games sold to date, all but one I believe are made by Nintendo. Either the 3rd party publishers don't get it (not making good games) or the fans don't want any 3rd party games? On the other hand, only 1/3 of the top 20 PSP games are made by Sony.

No you're missing the point Einstein. Please explain to me the correlation between 19 of the top 20 games being made by Nintendo and a lack of 3rd party sales on NDS. Granted they are likely to sell less due to the increase competition but that doesn't mean that sales wise the DS market is less lucrative than the PSP for 3rd parties. In fact I think it will increasingly become more lucrative and when companies start taking it seriously we'll see Nintendo lose some ground but always dominate regardless. Nintendo drove the platform and cemented it's position as the market leader but now the Wii needs some lovin too.

Fuzzy said:
I know I'm missing some numbers but it's more like 6. :p

Spider-Man: The Movie 2 (launch)
Asphalt: Urban GT (launch)
Zoo Tycoon
Sonic Rush
The Sims 2
Madden NFL 2005 (launch)

And it's third parties making shit. When third parties do make good games they barely market them or don't ship enough (Castlevania).

Correct.

Castlevania, Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, and Age of Empires have also been openly labeled as surprise successes by their developers.

I think the problem is in third parties making lousy games, an DS having a sort of lousy userbase due to GBA still being alive.

D3VI0US said:
No you're missing the point Einstein. Please explain to me the correlation between 19 of the top 20 games being made by Nintendo and a lack of 3rd party sales on NDS. Granted they are likely to sell less due to the increase competition but that doesn't mean that sales wise the DS market is less lucrative than the PSP for 3rd parties. In fact I think it will increasingly become more lucrative and when companies start taking it seriously we'll see Nintendo lose some ground but always dominate regardless. Nintendo drove the platform and cemented it's position as the market leader but now the Wii needs some lovin too.

DS market is already less lucrative than the PSP for 3rd parties, this is a matter of fact.

Take a look at these offerings from the biggest 3rd party publisher, can you point to the most missing platform in that lineup?

Madden NFL 07 will launch in August on the Xbox 360(TM), Xbox, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®2 console, Nintendo GameCube, Wii(TM), PSP system, PC, Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance.

NASCAR 07 will be available for the Xbox and the PlayStation 2 console and as NASCAR on the PSP system in September.

NBA LIVE 07 will be available on the Xbox 360 and Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft, the PlayStation 2, and PSP handheld entertainment system and PC this fall.

NCAA Football 07 will ship in July on the PlayStation 2 console Xbox, Xbox 360 and the PSP system.

NFL STREET 3 will be available for the PlayStation2 console and PSP system.

NHL 07 will be available in September for the PlayStation2 console, the PSP system, Xbox 360, Xbox and PC.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 07 will launch in October on the Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation2 console, PSP system and PC. A PlayStation 3 console version is scheduled to ship later this fall.

The Godfather experience reaches a new level in September when it ships for the Xbox 360 and PSP system.

Need for Speed Carbon will be available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation3, and Wii as well as the PlayStation2 console, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance, PSP system, PC, and mobile this fall.

Battlefield 2142 is developed by Digital Illusions/DICE Sweden and is slated to ship for PC this fall.

SUPERMAN RETURNS: THE VIDEOGAME will be available on the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 2 console, Xbox, the PSP system, Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance this fall.

ethelred

Amused_To_Death said:
DS market is already less lucrative than the PSP for 3rd parties, this is a matter of fact.

Take a look at these offerings from the biggest 3rd party publisher, can you point to the most missing platform in that lineup?

The most missing platform in that lineup is the Nintendo GameCube. The second most is a tie between Game Boy Advance and DS.

Which is a roundabout way of saying yes, you're right, the DS is absolutely not the most fertile platform for Electronic Arts -- and neither have the DS's predecessors in the handheld and home console arena been very good for that particular publisher.

But even when/if other third parties start to experience better successes on the DS in America (because I agree that right now the overall third party situation in the US is lousy), EA's stuff is still just not going to move nearly as well on the DS as it is the PSP. Their games are objectively better on the PSP, the audience they're selling to is always going to be stronger on the PSP.

Jokeropia

Amused_To_Death said:
Not in Japan, which lately has been a larger portable market than North America. Furthermore, the momentum is favoring the DS even in NA currently as PSP software sales used to be better than NDS software sales period here but the last months it has been pretty much equal and in June the DS dwarfs the PSP in this area. Most of it is still first party sales, but if they start driving the DS hardware like they have in Japan then it's only a matter of time before the third parties follow as well.

Top Bottom