• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Lack of) General Consensus: Best JRPG battle system ever?

Yeah I'll go with the popular picks here.

Turn-based: Persona 5
Real-time: Final Fantasy X-2
Hybrid: Valkryie Profile 2

If Persona 5 got FFX's CTB then it would be even better IMHO. I really like FFX' CTB but I felt that they could have pushed it even further.

Lynx_7

Press turn from Megaten, with Apocalypse being the most polished of the bunch on higher difficulties.

Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter has a great battle system too.

Bravely Default.

mrmickfran

Persona 5's battle system is so good that I wouldn't mind an extra episode similar to "The Answer" from Persona 3.

I just want more excuses to play it man. I'm sick and tired of fighting (secret boss spoilers)
The Twins
lol

People were complaining that P5 was too long but I wanted more of it.

dickroach

I like the ones where you don't just have to mash A, even when you're just mashing A
Super Mario RPG was the first game I can think of with timed hits. Mother 3 combined timed hits with the rolling HP bar from mother 2, so that's great too.

also FFXIII

redfox088

Banned
Many responses are saying Press turn....is it because We're in a P5 honey moon? I like the system but it doesn't seem all that different from a plethora of turn based systems...the rock/paper/scissors formula is nothing new, the "technical" mechanic is pretty interesting though. I'm sticking with Gambits.

Taruranto

Mana Khemia 1 and Xenosaga ep. III are the first ones that come to mind.

Other good contenders: Nocturne, Baten Kaitos: Origin, Bravely Default, FFX-2, Tales of Graces and Grandia III.

Many responses are saying Press turn....is it because We're in a P5 honey moon? I like the system but it doesn't seem all that different from a plethora of turn based systems...the rock/paper/scissors formula is nothing new, the "technical" mechanic is pretty interesting though. I'm sticking with Gambits.

P5 doesn't use press turn. It uses One more system, which it's just meh on long term.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Turn based: Persona 5
Real time: FFXIII
Action hybrid: Star Ocean 4
Action: NieR: Automata

Final Fantasy X-2's battle system is the best turn-based (ATB) system in JRPG history, in my own opinion.
I'd agree with that =) A lot of people saying they loved XIII's system in here, that would probably adore X-2's even more. There are some great similarities, fast paced, with a lot more depth.

Best JRPG combat ever? That one's tough, but I'd probably vote for Grandia. Makes great use of the entire battlefield instead of feeling like two sides taking turns to run cross an invisible line, hit an opponent, then run back again. It all looked and felt highly dynamic.

Apathy

Well I just love the job system and it's variations (materia and junction i consider sort or job variations since characters aren't tied to their character job skills and can have skills from other "jobs") so for me it would have to include that. Then I'm fine with atb/turn based or action.

I say Grandia III especially, it refined the turn-based perfection that is the Grandia battle-system even more and I wish some other games would downright copy it.

Turn-based first-person: SMT Strange Journey
Turn-based third-person: Trails of Cold Steel 2
Real-time: Ys Series, Brandish, Xanadu
Hybrid: Xenoblade X

galv

Unconfirmed Member
FFXIII - For hybrid (ATB)
Persona 4 Golden - For pure turn-based
Dark Souls III - For action JRPGs

My absolute favourite type is the Megaman Battle Network one.
80LkGUf.png

The jist of the system is have a grid of nine blue tiles and nine red tiles to which everyone is aligned to. You can freely move between your blue tiles, and the enemies can freely move on their red ones. You can either use your inherent attacking ability (in the case of Mega Man this is his normal buster gun), or use "chips". Chips are basically special attacks, which you draw, similarly to a card game. Also like a card game, you compose these decks of chips, and spent the majority of the game collecting new ones, optimising them for the situation. These chips can contain offensive, or defensive in nature, or have support abilities. Remember those blue and red tiles from earlier? You have chips that let you steal a column of tiles of the enemy, giving you more room to move in, and restricting the dodging abilities of the others. Since the tiles on the grid are physical spaces that you use, the game also gives the option to mess with the terrain itself. You can crack or break floors, you can apply elemental properties to them, have conveyor-belts, and all sorts of shenanigans.

Every encounter is rated too, and your battle rewards scale up or down based on your time and combos. Capcom milked this series as hard as they could during the GBA-era, but they had a great idea on their hands, and explored it really well.

Gambit

Overall: Grandia
Turn-based: Bravely Default
ATB: FF X-2

That would be my ranking.

I love some othera as well of course but I hold these in the highest regard

FFX, FFXII, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Hearts, FFX-2, the Grandia series come to mind. I don't typically enjoy fast-paced action or combo based combat.

asagami_

Banned
P5 doesn't use press turn. It uses One more system, which it's just meh on long term.

This. And it's too slow, so my answer it would be SMT IV Apocalypse. And I'm scared, because Press Turn still can be better.

EO battle system is also so good, simple but effective.

Bunga

I loved FFX personally, being able to switch characters in and out who had different strengths and weaknesses meant I didn't just choose 3/4 people I liked the best and go through the entire game with them.

I also loved that it was completely turn based, not ATB and that it showed the battle order and showed changes to it depending on what action you were contemplating.

It was flawless in my opinion.

Weebos

Banned
Hard to pick just one.

Two are big stand outs for me:

1. SMT-style press turn and derivatives.

2. Bravely Default.

Press turn style combat is really engaging and enjoyable, it turns many fights into puzzles. Persona uses a variant of it to great effect as well. Tokyo Mirage Sessions might be a stretch to include in this category, but it also has great combat.

Bravely Default combat is very versatile. I always feel like there are tons of different options I can use with the Brave and Default actions.

Widge

Interesting about FFXIII being cited. I found the way that you moved to more of a battle director role, and could actively cancel out of plans to change strategy, but I felt it removed the joy of unlocking new spells, new abilities, as it felt like it wasn't *you* using them.

Yeah, you could micromanage if you wanted to but the game is clearly not set up for that and is wanting you to keep things flowing fast while overseeing strategy.

Do I prefer it to something similarly strategic like Gambits? I'm not sure. You're still running the show mostly in FFXII, and the gradual expansion of Gambits feel like a reward for progressing through the game, getting on point with your skills and your grasp for battle planning.

I've not been on an FF game since 13, so cannot quantify anything after that, but I found the fun freedom of FFX-2 to get it really well buttoned down. I just wish the game it was attached to was better, more involving.

Alej

Banned
FFXII has the best battle system in all RPG i've done.

I love turn and command based like P5 though.

But overall, gambits are the best. Because you control everything while avoiding redundancy. P5 or FFX are full of redundancy.

Then, special mention to FFXIII as a fun but flawed battle system.

So, gambit system because you control everything without having to repeat commands.

Owensboro

You won't find a consensus, but my favorite has always been Grandia. Just simply adding the turn bar and giving attacks the ability to stall other's turns was so damn genius. When you got on top of that system and really learned everything you could plan your turns in such a way you could stunlock bosses and feel like a total badass.

My second favorite might be Mother 3. I always loved the rolling hitpoint, insta-win from worldmap, and green/neutral/red swirl mechanics in Mother 2 but the addition of a rhythmic component made that thing downright AWESOME. It's really great to master the different songs mid-battle and catch 1/8 notes, rhythm changes, and complete nonsense mid-song to get long combos going.

I also saw someone mention Vagrant Story, it's good too :)

mother 3 is probably my favourite altogether, but i want to shout out final fantasy XIII and X-2 because they're some of the least appreciated in the entire FF series despite being easily some of the best games as far as i'm concerned.

XIII's battle system in particular is just a masterpiece of design, and everything else in that game is aggressively focused on supporting it. i get why the final product is too minimalist for some, but i feel like it mostly achieved what it was going for beyond the uneven pacing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
replaying FF12 reminds me just how great this is

Persona 5 reminded me how much i hate Persona combat

silva1991

Persona 5 for me is the most fun(KH2 if we count it as JRPG)

Bravely Default and TMS are also top notch.

Edit: yeah Lost odyssey is also fantastic.

Molemitts

Paper Mario lol.

No really. Most turn based RPGs are so fucking boring yet the first two Paper Marios are exactly what they need to be. They keep the numbers small because having 2748949876789 pop up as your damage literally means nothing when the enemies health is 90927367892047542567890837652456278. It means every attack is thoughtful and impactful. It also keeps just a small amount of interactivity with a simple button pressing challenge when attacking or defending, which keeps you from going into autopilot and demands that you pay attention.

I also really liked Undertale's bullet-hell system and the incredibly interesting things it does with that throughout the game, but I guess that doesn't really match the "J" part of JRPG and I don't really want to start that stupid argument.

cireza

Only played Persona, SMT and FFX, but my vote is still for Persona 5. Absolute perfection
I don't know about Persona 5, but I played 4 and the battle system is basically "spam enemy weakness again and again, launch melee attack, watch the scene, repeat". Pretty poor system if you ask me.

My vote goes to Lost Odyssey. Each battle, you have to do some analysis, attack the enemies in the best order, protect your casters, and work with time (delay enemies, speed up your casters). Great mechanics.

Recently, Tokyo Mirage Sessions was also pretty interesting and full of possibilities. Very good battle system (and overall gameplay mechanics, including upgrading the characters etc...)

@patapuf : Grandia II. True, great battle system.

patapuf

Grandia

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarters

Those are my favorite "traditional" Battle systems. Some SRPG's are better but i don't really lump them with "normal" RPG's.

Shoutout to Cosmic star heroine for an interesting take on the traditional formula.

It's got to be Grandia for me.

The gauge for who is attacking next, was almost a little race of heads and seeing the effect your attack had on knocking that head back or slowing it down was pretty satisfying.

Also hearing "DRAGON KING SLICE!", y'all know it's about to go down.

Švejk

Grandia (I & II).

So simple, yet deep and really fun to watch go down. Practically the ONLY JRPG where I look forward to getting into enemy encounters.
It's got to be Grandia for me.

The gauge for who is attacking next, was almost a little race of heads and seeing the effect your attack had on knocking that head back or slowing it down was pretty satisfying.

Also hearing "DRAGON KING SLICE!", y'all know it's about to go down.
HA! My man. Glad to see so much love for Grandia. Playing through Grandia II on my phone now... Never got to finish it back in the DC days. =(

LotusHD

Banned
Persona 5 is the best? Admittedly I'm not very familiar with the various turn-based systems out there, but I didn't really think it was anything special, though I did appreciate that certain things were streamlined.

Paper Mario lol.

No really. Most turn based RPGs are so fucking boring yet the first two Paper Marios are exactly what they need to be. They keep the numbers small because having 2748949876789 pop up as your damage literally means nothing when the enemies health is 90927367892047542567890837652456278. It means every attack is thoughtful and impactful. It also keeps just a small amount of interactivity with a simple button pressing challenge when attacking or defending, which keeps you from going into autopilot and demands that you pay attention.

I also really liked Undertale's bullet-hell system and the incredibly interesting things it does with that throughout the game, but I guess that doesn't really match the "J" part of JRPG and I don't really want to start that stupid argument.

My absolute favourite type is the Megaman Battle Network one.
80LkGUf.png

The jist of the system is have a grid of nine blue tiles and nine red tiles to which everyone is aligned to. You can freely move between your blue tiles, and the enemies can freely move on their red ones. You can either use your inherent attacking ability (in the case of Mega Man this is his normal buster gun), or use "chips". Chips are basically special attacks, which you draw, similarly to a card game. Also like a card game, you compose these decks of chips, and spent the majority of the game collecting new ones, optimising them for the situation. These chips can contain offensive, or defensive in nature, or have support abilities. Remember those blue and red tiles from earlier? You have chips that let you steal a column of tiles of the enemy, giving you more room to move in, and restricting the dodging abilities of the others. Since the tiles on the grid are physical spaces that you use, the game also gives the option to mess with the terrain itself. You can crack or break floors, you can apply elemental properties to them, have conveyor-belts, and all sorts of shenanigans.

Every encounter is rated too, and your battle rewards scale up or down based on your time and combos. Capcom milked this series as hard as they could during the GBA-era, but they had a great idea on their hands, and explored it really well.

I loved these two though.

Bravely series, full stop. It's just so versatile that even trash mobs become fun once you start to piece together the best move combos. Really hoping we get a third one eventually to make a trilogy

I also enjoy Kingdom Hearts' battle system, though I don't know what you'd call it haha

Thud

Atlus and Falcom are king in this.

Persona 5 has the most stunning and polished fights. The system is just a refined version of what they have been cooking before.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions has a fresh battlesystem. It's only flaw is not being able to skip sessions.

The evolution in the Trails/Kiseki franchise is pretty impressive as well. Leaks of the latest game looks really promising. Not that I play it for the gameplay anymore, but it's an added bonus.

Paper Mario lol.

Agreed on both accounts. Paper Mario gets rid of all the inflation, lets you know exactly which numbers are going to be tossed around, and lets you really precisely strategise. One of my favourite things in RPG battle systems are ways to alleviate or avoid taking damage in turn-based systems. I never liked battle systems where you take unavoidable chip-damage, regardless of how much weaker an enemy is.

Undertale has this too, but in an even more involved way. It also gets points for making every enemy type different, and theming their attacks to their personalities. It also provides non-lethal options, which are uncommon in the genre.

Paertan

Grandia has a great system. Grandia 2 is an amazing game. Later Grandia games improved on the battle system even more but the story went down the drain.

Wiseblade

General Consensus? Best? You'll never reach an uncontested agreement, but it's far easier to build a list of standout battle systems:

Final Fantasy X-2, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV DS stand as the pinnacle of the ATB system with each having their own unique gimmicks to differentiate them.

Final Fantasy X deserves recognition also for its strategic battle system.

The Bravely Default battle system deserves mention in such a thread also.

Outside of Square Enix...

Panzer Dragoon Saga effortlessly achieves what Final Fantasy XIII was striving for, in making turn based combat cinematic. It's still a crime that no game to my knowledge has emulated it's approach to positioning and ATB-like action gauges.

The Paper Mario games, especially The Thousand Year Door are insanely engaging between the command based attacks and the Stylish bonuses.

A recent thread already exists singing the praises of Shin Megami Tensei 4/Apocalypse's Press Turn system. I pretty much agree.

There's no way I can let this thread continue without mentioning Pokémon Sun and Moon as the latest iterations in the series. It almost doesn't feel fair mentioning what is effectively an eSport in this list, but it'd feel wrong not to.

Finally, my personal favourite would have to be the system in Grandia 2. I it's a tragedy the series seems to have stopped with 3...

Top Bottom