• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Lack of) General Consensus: Best JRPG battle system ever?

Nottle

I love the SMT/ Persona 3-5 press turn or one more systems. You usually can't just use standard attacks on enemies, you need to exploit enemy weakness, buff your party, debuff the enemy. You need to manage SP while traveling floor to floor, resources can be scarce. The battle system is also snappy.

I really like Final Fantasy 5's systems, all the jobs can be mixed in really fun ways and you can come up with cool boss strats.

I've heard good things from Grandia.

Giga Man

Paper Mario lol.

No really. Most turn based RPGs are so fucking boring yet the first two Paper Marios are exactly what they need to be. They keep the numbers small because having 2748949876789 pop up as your damage literally means nothing when the enemies health is 90927367892047542567890837652456278. It means every attack is thoughtful and impactful. It also keeps just a small amount of interactivity with a simple button pressing challenge when attacking or defending, which keeps you from going into autopilot and demands that you pay attention.

This was exactly my mindset when I was a kid. It's why I didn't like RPGs for a while except for Paper Mario (and Pokemon, but what kid wasn't into Pokemon, right?) Paper Mario keeps it simple, yet engaging at the same time with timed button combo challenges to keep you focused on the action. You're not just sitting there watching things happen. You're directly affecting everything that's happening on screen.

Mario & Luigi is great at this too, which has much more elaborate button combos for the Bros. Moves and various methods of defense from enemy attacks to the point where you can take 0 damage in a serious fight if you're skilled enough.

The Mario RPGs' battle systems are my favorites because they incorporate a little skill-based action into their turn-based formula, with Paper Mario edging it out for making damage counters precise and meaningful.

ramparter

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Easy

Bravely Default, Persona 4, 5, Trails, so many great battle systems. Personally Pokémon is my favorite.

I also see many people mention Vagrant Story. I have to honestly confess that I've never played that one, but I'm interested now. I don't have a PSX, so I hope they'll re-release it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Bravely Default/Second, if we're talking only what can happen during the battle. The massive amount of job combinations, with different secondary abilities, and the possibility of performing multiple actions on the same turn... It's the best turn-based system ever.

If we're counting everything that can happen outside of battle, then Pokémon for me. Catching, breeding, training, giving items, trading, etc. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Kureransu

If people played them, I'm almost confident the Grandia series would win out. That battle system was so so so dynamic and the items in the game have a really strong impact of how your character performs in battle. I think 3 really refined it to near perfection.

zenspider

Probably Xenoblade Chronicles X on the ground. So many fun combos and setups to play with and break. The mech combat was meh.

Kuraudo

Banned
Final Fantasy X-2 is my favourite. Shame the rest of the game isn't great.

FFX had the best turn based until P5 showed up.

NSESN

The lack of Pokemon here is sad. It has a huge competitive scene for god's sake.
BD and SMT are cool but I will never get tired of playing Pokemon.

Chaos17

Chrono Trigger
Etrian Odyssey 4 (beat SMT miles away, imo)
Lunar 2
Fire Emblem X SMT (just better battle system than P5, that's the evolved version, so it's beat it!)

Luminaire

Turn Based - Valkyrie Profile 1, Legaia 2, Ar Tonelico 2
Strategy - Disgaea, Front Mission 4
Action - Nier Automata, Dragons Dogma, Vesperia
Hybrid - Valkyrie Profile 2, Rsonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles

I also really enjoyed Cross Edge's really crazy battle system, especially when you dug into the extended group combos. It's so obtuse that I can't say it's one of the best, but it gets an honorable mention.

Personal Favorite: Phantasy Star 4. It's fast with battles lasting only a few minutes at most but most are generally just a dozen seconds or so but it has a lot of complexity to it as well with both TP (basically MP) using techniques (magic basically) and each characters personal skills. There are combinations of certain techs and skills that can cause devastating damage early on and whats unique is that not every combination requires the same abilities. Fire Storm can be Zan+Foi or Hwen+Foi or others as well. Then you have the thing that makes the battle system so far ahead of its time, the macro system.

Macros allow you to preset commands for each character outside of battle and call them up in battle allowing you to not have to micromanage so much in each battle. You start with an obvious macro, everyone using attack which cuts down on time spent in the menus in battle instead of selecting attack for all five party members you just pick that first macro and bam you're good. You can set up macros for combination attacks, healing rounds, buff/debuffs, or just everyones best attacks when fighting bosses. You get 15 Macros to use and can reset them at any time, Its not perfect as PS4 has characters rotate in and our quite a bit early on and any macros you make with a certain character if they get replaced by another character you have to reset all the macros to including those new characters even if they have an ability that was in one of those macros before by another character. It's a limit of the technology of the time and could easily be solved by pretty much any game in the modern era but sadly a system like the Macro system from PS4 is just never really used despite some games really really needing them.

Also to those saying Persona 5 I can't agree, P5's is flashy to be sure but its lacking a lot of depth. Demon negotiations are simple a stark contrast to previous persona and SMT games which makes it feel very hollow. On top of that I still have yet to see anyone explain why the new elements of Nuke and Psi need to exist. Both Bless/Curse now are more then just instant kill abilities so you already had 2 more elements that could've been used but they added two more on top of that, it would have been one thing if it was make a hole of coverage in your party but thats easily covered with how easy it is to fuse a persona with multiple elements for the MC. It just feels like a waste, they don't do anything unique or interesting they are just two more elements because for some reason P5 just needed to have more, should it have actually been something the battle system needed or not. Guns are another sore spot for me as they really are only useful in attacking yet another weakness and the problem comes down to that you have absolutely no reason to upgrade your guns throughout most of the game. It doesn't matter if they do good damage or not you'll only ever use them to hit that gun weakness since ammo is limited. Gun skills eventually get somewhat interesting but it only makes the battle system even more easy then it already was with the outside of battle cover mechanic being massively OP and making the entire game a breeze because of that one mechanic giving you a nearly constant advantage in every single normal battle.

I like P5's system a lot but I cannot agree its the best when it has such obvious flaws and lacking a lot of depth. It would have been one thing if Psi/Nuke/Guns were unique or did something that the other various elements didn't already do but they didn't do that.

Dragner

Final Fantasy X-2 shitty game with the best battle system any FF ever had, and isnt even close. Its sad they never revisited it.

Bravely Default, the brave/default system makes room for some hilarious combos and possibilities (Red mage/valkirie infinite airtime combos), joined with FFV job system to make it more rounded.

Persona 5: the weakness/extra turn system makes for a really fast paced turn based RPG that throws the argument of turns being 'slow'.

Zhao_Yun

If anyone in this thread hasn't played a Grandia title, you owe it to yourself to give one of 'em a go. I believe G2 (my personal favorite, at least for the battle system gameplay) is on Steam at this point.

How well did the first Grandia age? Was planning to jump in with 2 and then play 3.

takoyaki

FF13. The perfect modern JRPG battle system, FF13-2 and Lightning Returns were a step down imo.

TWEWY and Chrono Trigger are other favorites of mine, Persona is fun but very repetitive and easy to exploit. And I really dislike that MMO-ish battle system from Xenoblade and co.

dukie85

Tales of Graces F is probably my favorite. Combos seem to flow together perfectly, and it feels really good to pull advanced ones off.

I have really fond memories of Grandia.

I remember FFXII, Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga

Grandia had one of the best battle systems out there. It feels so dynamic. You can guess what kind of attack an enemy will do and counter it depending on how fast their icon moves through the time gauge (stronger attacks move slower). This is one of the rare JRPGs where defending was actually a viable option.

I can't remember the intricacies of it, but I know I liked Grandia 2's battle system the best.

That being said, I feel like Grandia has the best battle system, with both positioning and strategy and even timing all playing into things.

I've always loved Grandias overall battle system.

Grandia franchise is amazing. It's turn based, but feels active. Best of both worlds, and relatively simple to boot.

I say Grandia III especially, it refined the turn-based perfection that is the Grandia battle-system even more and I wish some other games would downright copy it.

Overall: Grandia

Grandia and Grandia 2

Assuming you're excluding Srpgs, it'd be Grandia.

Critical canceling system is superb.

You won't find a consensus, but my favorite has always been Grandia. Just simply adding the turn bar and giving attacks the ability to stall other's turns was so damn genius. When you got on top of that system and really learned everything you could plan your turns in such a way you could stunlock bosses and feel like a total badass.

It's got to be Grandia for me.

The gauge for who is attacking next, was almost a little race of heads and seeing the effect your attack had on knocking that head back or slowing it down was pretty satisfying.

Also hearing "DRAGON KING SLICE!", y'all know it's about to go down.

Grandia (I & II).

So simple, yet deep and really fun to watch go down. Practically the ONLY JRPG where I look forward to getting into enemy encounters

Grandia has a great system. Grandia 2 is an amazing game. Later Grandia games improved on the battle system even more but the story went down the drain.

Finally, my personal favourite would have to be the system in Grandia 2. I it's a tragedy the series seems to have stopped with 3...

Grandia series imo

Grandia 2. Anyone who doesn't mention one of the Grandia titles in their post simply hasn't played one, because no other JRPG battle system comes close to being as fun.

Grandia, by a large margin.

Definitely Grandia series. I love how dynamic it is.

Grandia 2, with some tweaks it would be perfect

Everyone, I think we have consensus.
I'm kidding, of course, but I am happy to see Grandia get so much love!

Taruranto

How well did the first Grandia age? Was planning to jump in with 2 and then play 3.

I think fine, if you can play PS1 RPG like Gears or FFIX, you'll be fine.

3 is the worst one and a really bad game, but it does have the best battle system in the series, since it's the only one legitimately hard.

Thud

The lack of Pokemon here is sad. It has a huge competitive scene for god's sake.
BD and SMT are cool but I will never get tired of playing Pokemon.

Pokemon can do with some faster combat and it would be nice to actually not have the frame rate drop in half when in double battles.

To me that's also what makes a battle system good. It has to be well designed in function, form and fun.

FF X-2
Resonance of Fate
Grandia

Yeah, these are the battle systems that came to my mind. As I am tired as hell, I probably forgot some though.

Zhao_Yun

I think fine, if you can play PS1 RPG like Gears or FFIX, you'll be fine.

3 is the worst one and a really bad game, but it does have the best battle system in the series, since it's the only one legitimately hard.

Might pick up the PS1 classic on US PSN then since I guess that the EU version is only running at 50hz.

I heard that 3 was not a good game, but I can tolerate that as long as the combat is good (I really liked Star Ocean 4).

Dragner

the last remnant. i said it, yes.

I really enjoyed TLR battles, the problem is that unless you wiki the game wont tell you shit and you wont know why things happen while you battle or how to train your units efficiently. The game may have the worst tutorials ever.

once you know what you are doing, the game plays amazingly, if not, you will be frustrated as some random boss vaporizes you.

Macros allow you to preset commands for each character outside of battle and call them up in battle allowing you to not have to micromanage so much in each battle. You start with an obvious macro, everyone using attack which cuts down on time spent in the menus in battle instead of selecting attack for all five party members you just pick that first macro and bam you're good. You can set up macros for combination attacks, healing rounds, buff/debuffs, or just everyones best attacks when fighting bosses. You get 15 Macros to use and can reset them at any time, Its not perfect as PS4 has characters rotate in and our quite a bit early on and any macros you make with a certain character if they get replaced by another character you have to reset all the macros to including those new characters even if they have an ability that was in one of those macros before by another character. It's a limit of the technology of the time and could easily be solved by pretty much any game in the modern era but sadly a system like the Macro system from PS4 is just never really used despite some games really really needing them.
Right here with ya on all this. Macros would be a great QoL feature for all turn-based combat systems in games as long or much longer than PSIV.

Bushi Seiryuuden, a very underrated puzzle-like adventure from Game Freak, and their farewell to the Super Famicom, deserves a lot more attention. Every encounter's uniquely designed and skippable, the system itself involves using as few actions as possible for more experience, and critical bosses and sequences deviate from regular battle structure too. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Grandia (II), and Knights in the Nightmare come to mind for other systems worth mentioning.

Top Bottom