• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Lack of) General Consensus: Best JRPG battle system ever?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Turn-based:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Cosmic Star Heroine
Kiseki games

Action:

Souls games (if they count)
Dragon's Dogma (ditto)
Ys

In-between:

None, these systems are an abomination

Perineum

Well I don't know how everyone else feels about these choices, but I found these the most engaging and rewarding:

Legend of Dragoon (perfect timing of hits to get damage so you are always on your toes)

Chrono Cross (Especially when you get the cross or the final fight to get the elements to play correctly to defeat the boss for the true ending)

Chrono Trigger (Simple and flawless)

Super Mario RPG (Often overlooked, but a lot of clever gameplay exists in this gem)

Valkyira Chronicles(Only SRPG I have completed and enjoyed)

Those are probably the 5 best I have touched, and that's with Persona 4 and Persona 5 being completed by me. P4/P5 once you figure out the flow of elmental roulette, knock down, gang up, etc it is fairly stale. Granted P5 mixed that up with more options thankfully, but even then it isn't anywhere near as compelling or engaging for dozens of hours like the others I mentioned were for me.

Forward

Really didn't expect to see such an overwhelming show of support for Beyond the Beyond, but what can be said that hasn't been said already?

Is this a new level of sarcasm?

Super Sayarcasm Level 5 Blue & Black?

True story: Beyond the Beyond was the first game I ever took back to Electronics Boutique and asked to get a full refund for.

BlueCrest

In terms of turn based systems. I'll have to give it to Final Fantasy X-2, it perfected the already fantastic system present in FFX to fucking perfection, whilst I enjoyed the lack of an ATB bar in FFX, I thought that the inclusion of it in FFX-2 rectified the lack of variety during FFXs endgame where everything devolved into attack, attack, and more attacks.

NSESN

It's not that Pokemon's battle system is so good that it can enable multiplayer, it's that its depth is only really visible in multiplayer to begin with. Outside multiplayer, there's not much room for discussion. BW2 and maybe a few others are the only ones that can even rank compared to the average SMT game; some of the new ones like XY are especially vapid and lacking in redeeming end/post-game content. It's something that's difficult to compare to singleplayer games, which what every choice in this thread has been except from some MMOs like FFXI (which are not focused on PvP, anyway - though I loved Ballista!).

In such a comparison, I don't know if the "meta-gaming" argument has much weight. A negative way to look at it would be that the Pokemon games are extremely bloated. 700+ characters (many of whom are purposefully obsolete), similar amount of moves and deviations for each of them, etc. all filtered into bottleneck of fairly simple format of a team of six (often less in singleplayer), each having four moves, an ability, and item to hold, and maybe an extra gimmick transformation layered on top. Okay, would Final Fantasy VII suddenly be a hundred times deeper if it had 300 more characters to choose from? I think it would be a case of decreasing returns at best, especially if there isn't the tension that comes from highly competitive PvP (the "meta-game").
I don't think you get what pokemon does at all. Almost all of your complaints also serve for smt games too and yet you compare both series.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Lightning Returns ruined all other RPGs for me. Just a great implementation of a system where positioning and timing really matter, with a strong defense component. Feels really great to play.

Tales of Graces F by a fair distance in my opinion. Say what you want about the game, but that battle system was fucking slick and so customisable. Perfection.

From what I can remember off the top of my head, my votes would have to be Press Turn and Resonance of Fates battle system. I also love FFXII's gambit system. Being a programmer it feels like I'm half-programming my party members myself.

Bravely Default combat system together with the way the job system works is just

jrqQx.gif

Chrono Trigger x Final Fantasy Tactics x Shadow Hearts x Grandia would be the ultimate battle system. People seem to like Press Turn for some reason, so you could throw that in.

Jay Sosa

Turn-Based: SMT games (especially DDS), bonus points if there's a rush/auto attack option

Semi-Action: Final Fantasy (Gambits ftw)

Action Based: Star Ocean 2 (stupid but fun)

Card-based: Lost Kingdoms 2

I bet it's easier to fully understand quantum theory: Vagrant Story

SRPG: Disgaea (so.much.fun)

I most enjoy obtuse battle system where you have to (or atleast are rewarded when you do) really invest some time in learning them, like the afore mentioned Vagrant Story, Xenosaga 2 or Valkyrie Profile 2. The worst are slow, turn based ones without a rush option.

Turn-based:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Cosmic Star Heroine
Kiseki games

Action:

Souls games (if they count)
Dragon's Dogma (ditto)
Ys

In-between:

None, these systems are an abomination
In between as in stuff like real time with pause? Cause that's throwing a lot of amazing games under the bus (admittedly most of which are wrpgs)

i find my enjoyment of a jrpg battle system has more to do with the difficulty/balance and how little i have to grind levels and less to do with what the exact mechanics are like

Durante

I'm sure people will have all kinds of opinions.

But everyone not saying Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is wrong.

Persona's battle system is just "Press Turn" for babies.
And Press Turn itself is massively overrated.

Reliance on memorization and randomness are not the signs of a good battle system.

arigato

I'm sure people will have all kinds of opinions.

But everyone not saying Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is wrong.

Reliance on memorization and randomness are not the signs of a good battle system.
I have Dragon Quarter so I should probably give that game a go soon. Does it require any previous knowledge of the Breath of Fire series?

Lightning Returns ruined all other RPGs for me. Just a great implementation of a system where positioning and timing really matter, with a strong defense component. Feels really great to play.

Until you get to the hard bosses and is about buff the fuck out of Lightning and debuff the fuck out of enemies, just like in the past games.

MKNATfU.jpg

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Numbers are small, non-randomized, and effect each other in linear and logical ways--an attack of "2" hitting an enemy with a defense of "1" will make the attack do "1" damage--causing every single number of health, attack, and defense have actual real meaning. Enemies have considerable variation in how they act and how they react to your attacks. Everything is fast and snappy and no battle overstays its welcome. The Badge system grants Mario complete and total customization allowing the player to come up with a myriad of strategies to get through the game. The partners are all pretty well balanced adding to the player's versatility in battle. Tying the audience into the Star power (super meter, essentially) gives the battles an extra edge, making it just as much about wowing an audience as it is about defeating opponents, the hidden "Stylish" action commands granting further control to the player in this field. The audience themselves are even more than just a simple visual feedback for your super meter--each member of the audience has their own quirks and personalities, giving each battle a distinct character unto itself.

And that's all really just scratching the surface. The Thousand Year Door's battle system hits on all fronts and it's a shame it was completely abandoned since.

kromeo

Sure it's already been mentioned but Shadow Hearts series for me. Covenant and New World at least, the first one wasn't so great

Shadow-Hearts-Covenant-Judgement-Ring.png

MoonFrog

I'm confused by this.

What is particularly random about Press Turn?

You get a bonus if you critical hit. You get a penalty if you miss. You are penalized if the enemy critical, benefited if the enemy misses. This is the same for any game that allows you to miss and to critical.

Now the rewards and the penalties are steeper, in that you lose and gain turns. You in no way need to rely on critical to gain turns and you can't have more than eight turns so the rewards are bounded. Similarly, the miss rate is not ridiculously high and you can only lose four turns.

Unless you mean something else, I think you are massively overstating this "flaw." It isn't an RNG-fest.

Especially considering that the main way to get extra turns is to find and attack weaknesses, which is something the player does control.

Or is this meant to be about demon conversations? In a lot of SMT games, the demon's do have minimally variable personalities and you can figure them out from personality cues.

But probing for weaknesses, figuring them out, and exploiting them is bad combat? Running into trouble because you try something that doesn't work first is bad combat? This sounds like good combat to me.

I'm having trouble figuring out where your memorization complaint comes in. Is it that with the right approach things are much, much easier and potentially trivial if you ferret out all the tools the game offers, i.e. that the good case is too good?

I understand that complaint with respect to, say, playing Persona past the point where you know that, to which every enemy in a room is weak. The thing is, Persona tends to be fairly ruthlessly paced in terms of leveling up and moving on to new enemy sets. It is a lot staler and a lot more rote on, say, a new game + run, especially in Persona 5 where ambushing is ridiculously easy and you no longer have the demon conversation wrench to throw into the works.

But I really don't understand this sort of complaint leveled at Press Turn proper. It isn't as easy to completely wipe out the enemy in one turn without an enemy attack, at least if we are not talking low-level trash encounters, which I don't know why we would be. You don't have as many potential turns. You don't have all-out attacks. You don't have money-begging as an easy out (unless you currently own all the enemy demons).

Grandia for sure. Of the Press Turn SMT systems, Digital Devil Saga (especially 2) has the most depth. Allowing you to not only exploit enemy weaknesses, but also take away their turns with defensive moves if you can predict their patterns.

All the Pokemon posts are baffling. Pokemon has one of the most rudimentary and tedious turn based combat systems I've ever played. Trying to go back to them renders me nearly comatose.

trejo

Whenever someone mentions best JRPG battle systems my gut reaction is always Grandia. Grandia 3 in particular has the most refined version of it out of the ones I've played so I'm going with that one but Grandia 2 is also great.

13ruce

Banned
Kingdom Hearts 2 easily then or Nier Automata.
They have cool combat that i would gladly have in future JRPG's if classic turn based is going away.

I do like turn based but it think it's slowly being phased out by the looks of it so that's why i am hopin for KH or platinum/souls games combat.

A shame FFXV just did not copy KH2 or 3's development combat hopefully FFXVI does sort of but in a Final Fantasy way.

All the Pokemon posts are baffling. Pokemon has one of the most rudimentary and tedious turn based combat systems I've ever played. Trying to go back to them renders me nearly comatose.

As someone who's dabbled in competitive Pokemon, the phrase "complexity in simplicity" comes to mind.

Being forced to choose only one move out of four actually leads to some tricky manuevring of who to switch out and when.

Thats the game with the fighting game like inputs? Never played but did look interesting.

Yup. I pretty much played every RPG out there and till this day, no RPG combat system comes close to potential of Legend of Legaia's fighting system.

So, you have: up (high attack), down (low attack), left and right (punch). You go through the game in old school jrpg fashion finding secret scrolls that contain super moves.

Starting off you, in combat you can input up, down, up(for example). He'll do high, low, high attacks until you find a scroll that has those inputs for a super combo. After that, up, down, up will execute a different combo ending in a super move.

Early on your combo meter is small, but as you level up it gets bigger. You also don't NEED scrolls to find different combos. You can also experiment to find hyper combos.

It also has a mechanic similar to Pokémon, where your magic armlet can capture monsters and use them as summons. Dope ass summon moves too!

Ahh... this is one of my favorite games of all time, like top 10 for me. This needs a revival bad, or re-release.
https://youtu.be/jfi9SjEz3Gw

Qwark

Special mention to Legend of Legaia 2!

Basically inputting street fighter motions with the D-Pad to activate different moves. Good times.

You should play the first one if you haven't, same good battle system, but not (as) bogged down by a mediocre plot and characters. Legend of Legaia is legit one of my favorite games, I would kill for another entry that's closer to the first.

Grandia for sure. Of the Press Turn SMT systems, Digital Devil Saga (especially 2) has the most depth. Allowing you to not only exploit enemy weaknesses, but also take away their turns with defensive moves if you can predict their patterns.

try playing competitively on Pokemon Showdown and then come back to me

Just curious, how does Legend og Legaia's combat system compare to Xenogears'? I've only played the latter, and I liked the button combos but it really just boiled down to a dps race with some stylish animations. (The gear fights were a bit better) Is Legaia's combat more purposeful, or is it closer to what I experienced with Xenogears?

We're not necessarily talking about the Single Player Game's depth and exploration of said depth but the multiplayer and the rabbit hole goes pretty deep in both the metagame and the in battle execution where mind games, setting up combos and defenses, chipping down foes, using status effects, managing strengths, weaknesses and health, numerous environment and weather conditions and so on and on are all often viable strategies that are made incredibly dynamic through the presence of another player who is almost always aiming to beat you.

Top Bottom