• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga ARTPOP |OT| It could mean anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavyOO7

I feel BTW wasn't that hot but her first two albums were pretty boss. On that note, I think Judas is one of her strongest songs in her discography.

I hope this next album is stronger than BTW. We shall see. :)

nick nacc

Banned
I feel BTW wasn't that hot but her first two albums were pretty boss. On that note, I think Judas is one of her strongest songs in her discography.

I hope this next album is stronger than BTW. We shall see. :)

BTW. Was too much glamrock. If she stuck with songs like Electric chapel, Bloody mary. Bad kids it would have been better.

IrishNinja

i see these hens perching

no low-rent madonna jokes yet, this OT stays unsullied so far! might have to hit this one up when it reaches spotify

Timeless

I really like Lady Gaga. She's my favorite modern pop musician. Still, I feel this OT is laying it on a bit thick. I'd describe all of her albums as "cool" and "fun to listen to", and in the case of Born This Way, "full of positive messages for young people and everyone". I would not say, with regard to Born This Way, that "[e]very track is brimming with forceful agenda and purpose, hitting the listener like a sledgehammer."

The whole point of the album is considered to be reverse Warholian.
To say this and not explain "reverse Warholian" is at best confusing and at worst pompous. I searched Google and it turns out it's a direct quote from Lady Gaga, so I guess she's the pompous one.

Due to it's multi-faceted nature, ARTPOP will include collaborations with several prominent artists - including Marina Abramovic and Jeff Koons (who designed the album artwork) amongst others.
Being multifaceted doesn't imply collaboration. It can have collaborations and not be multifaceted, and it could be multifaceted without having any collaborations. I don't understand where you're getting this notion from.

Artemisia

Banned
I would not say, with regard to Born This Way, that "[e]very track is brimming with forceful agenda and purpose, hitting the listener like a sledgehammer."

now wait, I missed that bit.

It’s a loud, rambunctious, campy, ridiculous, intelligent, and powerful body of work that will more likely get its due praise many years down the road.

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

I mean Born This Way was a cute album, but you have to admit it was half baked as well as a misstep.

now wait, I missed that bit.

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

I mean Born This Way was a cute album, but you have to admit it was half baked as well as a misstep.

It wasn't half-baked nor was it a misstep, it just wasn't the album people wanted from her at the time. As I said in the OP, Born This Way will be considered an amazing pop album years down the road. Once Gaga releases a couple more albums people will appreciate how randomly weird and twisted Born This Way was, coz there isn't going to be another Gaga album like it.

Partition

Banned
Yeah I think it will be a while before Gaga goes down a more experimental or "out there" sound like BTW. I'm really glad BTW exists and Gaga would be so much less of an artist if she made TFM 2.0 instead of it.

Nemesis_

Just a reminder that the next promo single for ARTPOP is coming very soon.

t1382328000z1.png

The song will hit iTunes at the above time for those living within the US. Those who are outside the US will have to wait an extra day, however I will update the OT with a YouTube link as soon as it hits Gaga's official channel. For now, clicking the image will take you to a snippet.

Kabuto

Fantastic OT. I'm listening to all the songs you posted on her previous albums and most of them are really good. The two snppets of Do What U Want and G.U.Y. are slaying me.
did I use the word slaying right

edit: I'm loving Aura too.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I am perched on the very edge of my seat for this
Everything she has done and released has been flawless so far (other than that ballad that I can't remember the name of)
ARTPOP will slay

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It wasn't half-baked nor was it a misstep, it just wasn't the album people wanted from her at the time. As I said in the OP, Born This Way will be considered an amazing pop album years down the road. Once Gaga releases a couple more albums people will appreciate how randomly weird and twisted Born This Way was, coz there isn't going to be another Gaga album like it.
Funny because at the time the main criticism was that in places It sounded TOO MUCH like her old stuff; Judas is Bad Romance redux, Americano is Alejandro pt 2. Also that it dragged way on and was poorly paced.

All criticisms that stand the test of time, unlike the album itself.

Nemesis_

Funny because at the time the main criticism was that in places It sounded TOO MUCH like her old stuff; Judas is Bad Romance redux, Americano is Alejandro pt 2. Also that it dragged way on and was poorly paced.

All criticisms that stand the test of time, unlike the album itself.

Was this really one of her criticisms of Born This Way? I think Judas was a bad attempt to rehash Bad Romance - I totally agree with that.

But Alejandro with Americano? :/

Exactly one song can be criticized for being too similar to a predecessor (Judas). Out of seventeen songs. So no, that wasn't a criticism that applies to the album itself. And if only one out of seventeen songs reminds the listener of her past work then it's evident that the album is a massive departure from the type of music that made her popular, meaning it's pretty risky material.

People were hard on Born This Way because they were worried that Gaga was going to release less radio friendly stuff now or that she can no longer make accessible pop music. Once ARTPOP comes out and whatever else she releases thereafter, people will look back at this weird album and appreciate the fact that it was a risky and polarizing work.

Bold music always stands the test of time. Once that smoke clears, you're all gonna be telling me how great Born This Way is.

royalan

I don't think Born This Way was bad because it was "bold."

I think Born This Way was bad because it was...bad.

BTW came at the height of Gaga's popularity. I think she created that album and released it with the exact thought that she WAS radio, and that anything she put out would smash, and smash utterly.

I don't think she created BTW with the mindset that it was going to be niche and bold. She probably would have worked with more interesting producers if that were the case. BTW isn't interesting, and it doesn't say much of anything (other than tired platitudes on youth culture and "being yourself"), which is why it's so completely forgettable.

ARTPOP seems to be a return to form in that it sounds like Gaga got the message that she's just not deep, and only her stans fall for that shit she calls a "message." So she better make sure the music is at least fun, catchy and good, because other than that nobody really cares about what she's got to say.

Sai-kun

Banned
I really like pretty much everything about the songs we've heard so far...except for Gaga's voice. Aura would be probably a straight electro house banger if it weren't for her voice on it. Blah. Still hyped for this album but keeping expectations in check.

Aura is fantastic - id place it with her best, even though it's a reused Infected Mushroom track. It's completely nuts and sounds great.

Hah! Let me just go listen to that instead.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I really like pretty much everything about the songs we've heard so far...except for Gaga's voice. Aura would be probably a straight electro house banger if it weren't for her voice on it. Blah. Still hyped for this album but keeping expectations in check.

Hah! Let me just go listen to that instead.
I think her delivery ups the crazy on that track - their original sounds so awesome but I like the huge chorus and delivery on the verses with that robotic synth going on in the background.

As for Infected Mushroom, they also have publically claimed they don't like her version but were happy for some sweet royalties.

Nemesis_

I've decided that there's only one bad thing about the finished version of Aura - the first three lines of the first verse.

I went straight back to the demo sometime after and realised that her delivery on the chorus and the production sound much, much better than the demo that was leaked. It's disappointing that some of the lines she speaks with this kind of nonchalance that takes away the impact - and it's probably my only issue with the first verse.

Man the fact this thread is still at 1 page at 100ppp and it hasn't blown up is quite telling.

Here is another pop album OT with an album that's already out and for all intents and purposes has been performing well on the chart too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694705

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom