• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laid Out On Venice Beach for 90min, Got Epic Sunburn, Could Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatline

Banned
In my experience only bepanthol can save you. If the pharmacies in your region have it buy it asap but don't overdo it.

I got a pretty horrible burn one time when I was a kid and decided to try to get a tan... bad idea.

Always use sunscreen. And you lucky people who don't get burned and end up with a nice tan? Sunscreen. You are at just as much risk from skin cancer as me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Believe it or not vinegar helps the pain and itch. For me its better than aloe.
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but this. Not recommended on second degree, I use apple cider vinegar and put it in the refrigerator for extra coolness.

Never believed this till I tried it.

Meier

I've never been sunburned. What's it like? I mean, I get that it hurts but does it feel like sore muscles? Or like acid on the skin?

I am so jealous of people like you. :( I burn incredibly easy so I've become more pale since the sun scares me.. it's a nasty cycle! It basically feels like you'd expect.. your skin feels essentially on fire and itches like crazy after a little while. It's tender and has a palpable heat to it.

I've never been sunburned. What's it like? I mean, I get that it hurts but does it feel like sore muscles? Or like acid on the skin?
You ever get a skin irritation from a bag or shoulder straps? Or being out in the cold wind? It feels like that, it stings and is kind of itchy. If you get a bad burn, it feels like that, multiplied by 50 and your entire back turns into a blister.

Some people seem to neglect the fact that you can also get a tan by sitting only 30 minutes to an hour per day in the sun. It takes a little longer but it sure beats the chance of getting skin cancer and what this guy has.

Sqorgar

Banned
As a redhead, I am no stranger to sunburns. Got burned so bad in 8th grade that I had to spend a week in an oatmeal bath. My god, the itching! It's great knowing that I'm about 10,000% more likely to get skin cancer now. Needless to say, I don't go outside anymore.

-KRS-

This is why I never sunbathe anymore. The last time I burned myself I said Never Again! If you want to get a little color just go out a little more in my opinion. You don't have to lie in the sun to get color. Just be outside when the sun is out. Go out and ride a bike or something. It's nice.

And sunscreen wont eliminate the problem. It helps, but if you haven't sunbathed in a while and go out and lie on the beach for 90 minutes you're gonna get burned either way if you're like me.

Danielsan

Some people seem to neglect the fact that you can also get a tan by sitting only 30 minutes to an hour per day in the sun. It takes a little longer but it sure beats the chance of getting skin cancer and what this guy has.
I live in The Netherlands. The days a year that it's warm and sunny outside whilst I have the day off can probably be counted on one hand. This weekend I decided to take what I could get.

Sqorgar

Banned
I live in The Netherlands. The days a year that it's warm and sunny outside whilst I have the day off can probably be counted on one hand. This weekend I decided to take what I could get.
Doesn't matter if it is overcast outside. You can still get a tan, though apparently, you are more likely to burn as the UV rays penetrate clouds like angry gods while whatever rays tan you are lessened somewhat.

Miggytronz

Im Puerto Rican and mocha skin toned. I have never burned before and never used sun screen. But this past weekend............first time feeling this pain.....................omg.

Just because it became 'socially unacceptable' to stay white people want to get a tan in mere weeks. Why do you think we are being warned and that they are showing a 20% - 30% increase with people who get skin cancer. The sun is good for your body but not when you are going to sit on the beach for 6 hours straight.

1) Buy massive bottle of aloe vera gel.

2) Put massive bottle of aloe vera gel in refrigerator.

3) Put ice-cold aloe vera gel on burned skin

4) Enjoy a few minutes of relief.

Also, drink lots of water and take aspirin. Aspirin supposedly works better than other pain relievers.

Really though, the aloe in the fridge is the greatest tip of all. I picked it up during a photo shoot in Mexico when one of my crew got badly burned. I keep a big bottle in the fridge all the time just in case in the summer months.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Im Puerto Rican and mocha skin toned. I have never burned before and never used sun screen. But this past weekend............first time feeling this pain.....................omg.

Ahahaha I was like this. I had never burnt in the beach before, hell i usually went without sunscreen, then randomly one beach day... boom. God that was painful. Now I usually get sunburned, but fuck it, beach is too good. I am hitting one today even if I am burnt :p

For extra fun, try showering yourself with scolding hot water!

Meier

Unfortunately that's not true for people who burn easily. Some people just don't tan, they straight-up burn instead. 30 minutes and I'm turning pink. Of course, living in Texas where the sun is particularly hot plays a role I'm sure. I've got a ton of freckles and have had them my whole life.

For festivals and other stuff where I am outside all day, I make sure I have something to drape over my neck and ears as well as lathering up.

Chuckie

I know how you feel man. Once I got sunburnt so bad in Indonesia, that I had a fever the whole night and couldn't wear pants the next day. I had to wear a sarong like David Beckham.
Not that I could walk because the insides of my knees were also burnt and the skin was all dry and couldn't bend anymore.

You are going to have to wrap yourself up well now.

Darkman_2.jpg

Just because it became 'socially unacceptable' to stay white people want to get a tan in mere weeks. Why do you think we are being warned and that they are showing a 20% - 30% increase with people who get skin cancer. The sun is good for your body but not when you are going to sit on the beach for 6 hours straight.

Is the skin cancer risk still present if you sit in the sun for 6 hours but don't get burned?

ToxicAdam

You have to apply aloe vera gel every hour. Take aspirin and stay inside in the AC. Sleep a lot.

That's about all you can do.

Aegus

OP persuaded me to change my plan for the week of taking the morning sunbathing down the Barcelona beaches to Primavera Sound festival.

Don't think my Scottish body could handle that much sun.

eastmen

Banned
If i hit up the beach for a day i normaly apply coppertone spf 15 in the AM from about 6-10ish and i do that every 2 hours cause you sweat it off. I then switch to spf 30-50 from 11-2ish and then back down to spf 15. I will use spf 50 normaly for a spray down at noon since between noon and one its my understanding that the sun is the most powerful of the day.

I tan slowe but i haven't been burned in years.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I inadvertently fell asleep on that same beach a year and a half ago. I had on sunscreen everywhere...except my head (I shave). Needless to say it hurt like hell and my skin was peeling like crazy for 3-4 days. Good luck!

RELAYER

Banned
OP, if the burns are as bad as you say they are, do not take a shower, the water will dry your skin out even further and then it will itch like crazy in addition to being painful.

Unfortunately that's not true for people who burn easily. Some people just don't tan, they straight-up burn instead. 30 minutes and I'm turning pink. Of course, living in Texas where the sun is particularly hot plays a role I'm sure. I've got a ton of freckles and have had them my whole life.

For festivals and other stuff where I am outside all day, I make sure I have something to drape over my neck and ears as well as lathering up.
Yo. Grew up on the beach... never tanned a day in my life. If I'm not wearing sunscreen, I have a hat or a thin hooded, long-sleeved jacket I can put on if I wind up in direct sunlight.

Double D

Yo. Grew up on the beach... never tanned a day in my life. If I'm not wearing sunscreen, I have a hat or a thin hooded, long-sleeved jacket I can put on if I wind up in direct sunlight.

I'm going to assume you didn't grow up in Florida. I sweat when sitting on my covered patio in a bathing suit with a fan blasting on me. I couldn't imagine wearing a jacket on the beach.

WEGGLES

I've only ever been sun burnt once.

I seem to have a magical ability to only tan and not burn.

But the burn I did get sucked so much. Your skin just radiates heat. It's awful.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i will never understand why people put themselves thru this...especially in california you will get your sun so why not put on some block that will protect your skin. Ugh no cure for the pain from a burn just things that can make it managable. i hope you didnt get the big blister/boil things on ya those are the worst. Next time put on some block and wear a hat .

Munin

I barely escaped skin cancer in 2004, since then i have gotten a lot more careful. Reading stuff like "I don't use sunscreen" I just want to facepalm. Don't fuck with the sun. Good luck bros

cousins

I just spent two weeks visiting some family in Pensacola, and, I burnt up like a lobster, too. Your best bet is some aloe vera, about twice a day. Take cold soaks with some vinegar, as well. The faster you work at it, and the more often, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom