• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I still think you're confusing the two. Underworld's camera is famously wonky. What happened in Anniversary then?

The camera sucks to varying degrees in all TR games, but in Anniversary it would often spaz out and switch angles just as I was trying to jump from vertical poles or during wallruns, causing Lara to jump into the abyss and die. Now, Legend and Underworld did this too, but far less than Anniversary did.

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as Angel of Darkness was. That game was truly horrendous.

Kammie

Damn, I need to play Underworld!
It's pretty good, and has a large and satisfying scale. It has that typical TR thing of seeing where you have to go, but not knowing how to get there--particularly when the goal is way above you. The levels can take a while, and the atmosphere is spot-on. They botched the controls and camera, which keeps it from greatness, though.

There's no reason for CD to have kept swimming out of this. They did three games with swimming exploration that was successfully implemented and wasn't a pain to navigate (even if Underworld should have used the camera system from the earlier two games, for my taste). Probably 1/3 of Underworld was spent under water. So it doesn't make sense not to include it, even if for a few areas.

Tomb Raider is among my favorite franchises... but this just gives off terrible vibes. :(

Kammie

The camera sucks to varying degrees in all TR games, but in Anniversary it would often spaz out and switch angles just as I was trying to jump from vertical poles or during wallruns, causing Lara to jump into the abyss and die. Now, Legend and Underworld did this too, but far less than Anniversary did.
I played Anniverary about a year ago, and I don't remember camera issues that caused me to die... in fact, I remember being impressed with how well the camera worked. The only real issue I had was with a pillar that was glitchy and wouldn't register when I jumped on it, but this seems to be across all console versions, so it was just some type of oversight .

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I played Anniverary about a year ago, and I don't remember camera issues that caused me to die... in fact, I remember being impressed with how well the camera worked. The only real issue I had was with a pillar that was glitchy and wouldn't register when I jumped on it, but this seems to be across all console versions, so it was just some type of oversight .

Yeah, I'm not saying either of us are wrong or right, but personally I found Anniversary to have far sloppier controls and camera than Underworld and Legend, but YMMV, obviously.

The final enemy is a monster made of water who will try to rape her.

in a brown linear corridor made up of QTEs and explosions

You have to overcome western TPS trends in the final level to unlock the actual Tomb Raider game, which is a sequel to Guardian of the Light. They'll be puzzles and water and exploration and ya know, tomb raider stuff.

There's a big different between not swimming and can't swim.

So you're telling me a girl who decides to sail across the ocean on a boat thought it's totally fine to not learn to swim beforehand? YOU'RE SURROUNDED BY WATER.

You guys sure beat the "protect her" joke into the ground. Stop it!

Allow me to protect you from those jokes then, Miss Valentine

in a brown linear corridor made up of QTEs and explosions

You have to overcome western TPS trends in the final level to unlock the actual Tomb Raider game, which is a sequel to Guardian of the Light. They'll be puzzles and water and exploration and ya know, tomb raider stuff.

Shame it will be paid DLC!

"For $15 experience the real Tomb Raider, adds new movements like swimming!"

Actually, doesn't regenerating health completely go against the concept of her getting constantly brutalized by everything around her? You don't go around showing arts of her covered in blood and mud and do the complete opposite when it comes to gameplay.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Regen Health ain't a big deal but no swimming?

:(

Underworld had one of the best opening levels of any game I've played. Swimming down to that tomb was so good.

This pic made me buy Underworld.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seems like an odd choice that she won't have the opportunity to swim, given the location where the game takes place. It almost seems impossible that there won't be situations where you won't be able to jump into water, so I'm assuming it's just insta-death on water contact kind of deal.

Field

Seems like an odd choice that she won't have the opportunity to swim, given the location where the game takes place. It almost seems impossible that there won't be situations where you won't be able to jump into water, so I'm assuming it's just insta-death on water contact kind of deal.

Or invisible walls.

Kammie

So what's the use in us protecting her? I mean, if we let her get raped, she'll recover her energy anyway. Or is that an insta-death QTE?

Regen health made sense for Halo because your playing as a fucking heavily armored robot I don't understand why the industry copied that concept and pasted it onto every game even where it doesnt make sense. If your playing as a human your gonna need health packs. Ironically this was even highlighted in Halo ODST.

red731

Regen health made sense for Halo because your playing as a fucking heavily armored robot I don't understand why the industry copied that concept and pasted it onto every game even where it doesnt make sense. If your playing as a human your gonna need health packs. Ironically this was even highlighted in Halo ODST.

JUST A REGEN HEALTH COMICS

I couldn't resist.
I will wait how this all plays out, but with every new piece of info, I keep loosing my faith in this.

sublimit

Banned
Still gonna get a shitload of 9s from journalists. Dorito'd to hell this one.

I bet it will get 9s from Game informer and Gametrailers.It already looks like they already have a love affair with
SE's pockets
the game.

ArjanN

You guys sure beat the "protect her" joke into the ground. Stop it!

I used to think protect her jokes were funny until I took an arrow to the knee.

Health packs make just about as little sense as regenerating health. Oh I was shot in the chest three times? Better sprint over this box with a red cross on it that's randomly lying around, there, now I'm fine.

Developer like regenerating health because it let's them control the minimum amount of health you have in a given situation.

It prevents you from getting caught in a dead-end situation where you've got 3% health right before a big battle.

params7

Banned
The early interviews lead me into false hype. The way they were talking about leaving Lara alone with focus on survival. Regen health is PRETTY big assistance. Fuck that, I'm tired of uncharted level casual stuff.

Now 4A better not pull this shit with Metro Last Light. Pretty much the only atmospheric, survival AAA-quality on the horizon.

Boerseun

Banned
At what point do they become serious about marketing this game? I mean, when do they start coming up with effective ads, slogans and slanted previews to lure people into buying what seems like a terrible mistake?

This feels a bit like the recent Daniel Craig Bond movies - they're not doing Lara Croft gameplay and they're not doing Lara Croft as a character, but they have the name Lara Croft, and somehow the audience has to be lead to believe that they're paying for a Lara Croft game, when in reality Crystal Dynamics couldv'e named this character anything based on the notions of mass appeal, guided experience-style cinematic gameplay, and generic settings and plot points that have been driving this project since day one.

I honestly just don't get the point of this game being labelled Tomb Raider, outside of cynical commercial motivations.

xenist

This feels a bit like the recent Daniel Craig Bond movies - they're not doing Lara Croft gameplay and they're not doing Lara Croft as a character, but they have the name Lara Croft, and somehow the audience has to be lead to believe that they're paying for a Lara Croft game, when in reality Crystal Dynamics couldv'e named this character anything based on the notions of mass appeal, guided experience-style cinematic gameplay, and generic settings and plot points that have been driving this project since day one.

In my best dreams I hope this is as good a Tomb Raider game as Craig's movies have been.

AHA-Lambda

The more I hear about this game, the less interested I become =/

Playing it at the EG Expo this year didn't assuage my fears either...

Hindle

Banned
What's hilarious is how they focus on her vulnerability yet next they have her taking loads of Mercs like she's superhuman.

zruben

Banned
Lara Croft... Can't swim!!!

A Tomb Raider game with no water levels????

What the hell is wrong with them!?

And a survival game with no healing items :/

What are you doing to this game!!???!?!?

what are you talking about?!. it's a great thing

all hardcore games have regenerative health.

JUST A REGEN HEALTH COMICS

I couldn't resist.
I will wait how this all plays out, but with every new piece of info, I keep loosing my faith in this.

Reminded me of this:
This_is_what_reviving_is_like.png

I wonder how many linear and constricted corridor caverns and tree brush I'll be squeezing through in Tomb Raider and how much of that will collapse on scripted cue and take control away from me.

Hindle

Banned
I'm probably going to play this for the comedy. There is bound to be loads of emotional moments that come off as hilarious lol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Regenerating health means two things:

1. The whole SURVIVAL thing is stupid and pointless

2. There's going to be A LOT of shooting in this game. Like, A LOT. You'll probably be shooting more than you'll be tomb raiding.

Neither of those bode well for the final game.

Top Bottom