• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large protests occurring in Brazil. Calling for President Rousseff to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiops

So the two sides are a corrupt inept liberal government with bourgeoisie fucks protesting to bring back to an age of authoritarian neoliberalism?

The current government is garbage but let's not pretend these protests are anything but an attempt to bring back an age of inequality and dictatorship in the country.

What? How?

averdade.jpg

Because this is not a protest against Dilma and this is not a protest against corruption.

There are only pictures and banners against PT (dilma's political party) politicians. Aécio was the politician more mentioned in the Lava Jato scandals and there isn't a SINGLE BANNER against him because he is not from PT. Yes, he was "booo"ed when he appeared but that is only because his hypocrisy was too much for people =P
Are you trying to change reality? Of course this is against Rousseff and corruption. Aécio is simply irrelevant, he isn't the president, he doesn't have power in Brasilia so he isn't a main target. Anyway you're wrong since him and Alckmin were called out corrupts by the people there, users already posted it in BrazilGAF thread.

What? How?

i guess he's saying that the current government is an inept corrupt liberal goverment...which it is. And that they who are most likely to take over are neoliberal... which they are, given that they'd promote balls deep austerity during a recession.

massive oversimplification, obv

I fail to see how a protest done on a Sunday is effective, it does practically nothing to hurt the government. Why should the government care at all? Tomorrow everything will be back to normal.

So the two sides are a corrupt inept liberal government with bourgeoisie fucks protesting to bring back to an age of authoritarian neoliberalism?

The current government is garbage but let's not pretend these protests are anything but an attempt to bring back an age of inequality and dictatorship in the country.
Nah, you're just being completely dishonest here.. "Bring back the dictatorship", anyone can see through you with this nonsense talk. This is not what we want. You're just pretending you aren't sided with this fucking government.

Platy

Are you trying to change reality? Of course this is against Rousseff and corruption. Aécio is simply irrelevant, he isn't the president, he doesn't have power in Brasilia so he isn't a main target. Anyway you're wrong since him and Alckmin were called out corrupts by the people there, users already posted it in BrazilGAF thread.

That is what I said that people "boo"ed them =P

How about the others ?

We have exact same number of banners against cunha than we have saying a political party brought Zika to brazil =P

In the big view you can only see PT banners ... even in the northeast pic you linked that I am not quoting because you didn't rehosted

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If they're protesting to get the duck in office I support that.

Tiops

This. Of course it will be focused on Dilma, Lula and the current government. They're the biggest political figures in Brazil atm and they're in the center of the corruption scheme that's being investigades, why would we NOT focus on them? It makes no sense.

Yes, Alckmin and Aecio where booed from the protests when they tried to get attention there.

i guess he's saying that the current government is an inept corrupt liberal goverment...which it is. And that they who are most likely to take over are neoliberal... which they are, given that they'd promote balls deep austerity during a recession.

massive oversimplification, obv

Well, if Dilma falls, her vice president will take over. When people voted for her, they also voted for the vice president. We don't know who will win the next elections, but we should just watch everything falls just to mantain a "liberal" government (that barely does liberal stuff) there.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
It's funny to start noticing the same usual suspects showing up at every thread about Brazil here on GAF disingenuously spreading blatant misinformation. I wonder why.

Because this is not a protest against Dilma and this is not a protest against corruption.

There are only pictures and banners against PT (dilma's political party) politicians. Aécio was the politician more mentioned in the Lava Jato scandals and there isn't a SINGLE BANNER against him because he is not from PT. Yes, he was "booo"ed when he appeared but that is only because his hypocrisy was too much for people =P

Ok, I'll bite: this made me laugh. Hard.

SephLuis

I fail to see how a protest done on a Sunday is effective, it does practically nothing to hurt the government. Why should the government care at all? Tomorrow everything will be back to normal.

It's quite a party here, regarding the current government. There is a law suit that may or may not take out the current government.

If it does, which will be good, the question is "Who's next ?".

Which takes me to this suggestion...

If they're protesting to get the duck in office I support that.

...because honestly, the duck is better than 99% of the possible candidates.

Duck for president.

Well, if Dilma falls, her vice president will take over. When people voted for her, they also voted for the vice president. We don't know who will win the next elections, but we should just watch everything falls just to mantain a "liberal" government (that barely does liberal stuff) there.

pmdb has been directly in power of a significant part of the power dynamics in this country since 86. Same party that holds cunha and calheiros. While i don't particularly fault your logic, i'd... considerably temper my expectations about what would happen during the interim government.

i mean, we in a period when congress, with backing from the opposition, is going ahead with selling oil assets during an economic recession AND during a period when oil has been at the cheapest point in years. That's borderline looting of federal assets.

n0razi

Sometimes I look at Trump and the elections and think America is a pretty messed up place... then I see these threads and realize its the whole freaking world thats messed up.

NeonZ

I voted for her twice and don't regret it, but it was always a mistake to push a bureaucrat with no political prowess at all to the presidential chair just to keep a certain segment of the party closer to it, rather than just looking for the best successor within their ranks.

In spite of voting for them, I'm actually happy when I see that entire group crumbling now... the problem is that the political instability isn't going to help economic recovery at all, and the general repercussion in the media probably will damage the party itself going forward, helping some other parties return to power, or just gain even more power.

But why are you so mad about people mocking Lula? After all, he is a target of Lava Jato operation. The corruption scandal is also a reason for the protest.

Accusations against politicians happen all the time, but only with the ones against this government you get every single accusation reported as big news, receiving most of the focus in the biggest news program and magazines of the country, even before any actual condemnation. The accusation itself already is reported as "news", something that was especially noticeable last week.

Sometimes I look at Trump and the elections and think America is a pretty messed up place... then I see these threads and realize its the whole freaking world thats messed up.

Nah, the whole world is fucked up. Some get more attention than others, but everywhere you can find problems.

Protests =/= strikes.

Well, what are the effects of it then? It just doesn't seem very effective, that' all.

It's quite a party here, regarding the current government. There is a law suit that may or may not take out the current government.

If it does, which will be good, the question is "Who's next ?".

Probably another center-left president. I couldn't vote for the second turn in the last elections, it was so bad. :|

Fat Goron

You are free to give more information =P

And i Will say people basicaly mixed Dilma with Zika =P

You are free to post whatever you want.

But it's hilarious to see such an absurd attempt to undermine the protests being taken for granted as "new information" on the OP. I mean... "the police were respectful", "there was a duck", are you for real? People, for once, brought their kids to be a part of this, kids who spent 4+ hours there, how dare they have some fun?

It becomes even more hilarious when there are FUCKIN 4 MILLION PEOPLE on streets (that's a lot of rich people), and you point fingers at 5 people on a yacht, while government supporters had a FUCKIN PLANE soaring over the people in an attempt to mock them.

nao-vai-ter-golpe-aviao-rio.jpg

And of course you see "pro-government" protests in television. It's just naive to expect a 7k people event to have the same political relevance or air time on tv as a 4kk people event. Anyway, BECAUSE there was such a huge number of people, it was not surprising, although it's a shame, to see there were some with right-wing populist views among the protesters.

After all, populism is basically what brought us to this mess, be it left or right-wing.

Nah, you're just being completely dishonest here.. "Bring back the dictatorship", anyone can see through you with this nonsense talk. This is not what we want. You're just pretending you aren't sided with this fucking government.

When did I ever say I sided with the government? I think Rousseff is awful but I recognize the other side of the coin is even shittier. Don't pretend these protests aren't just going to be harnessed by the ruling elite to usher in an era of reversal of the little progress Rouseff's government has made.

SephLuis

In spite of voting for them, I'm actually happy when I see that entire group crumbling now... the problem is that the political instability isn't going to help economic recovery at all, and the general repercussion in the media probably will damage the party itself going forward, helping some other parties return to power, or just gain even more power.

Short term, if they fall, it will help the country economy-wise.
It might be just enough room for a new president to act and try to recover the economy in the long term.

Trust me, in America it's still better. You have sane choices for your vote.

All we have for now is a big duck.

Probably another center-left president. I couldn't vote for the second turn in the last elections, it was so bad. :|

See ? I told the duck was better. And I have to agree with him. Between Aécio and Dilma, we were fucked either way.

Gbraga

I voted for her twice and don't regret it, but it was always a mistake to push a bureaucrat with no political prowess at all to the presidential chair just to keep a certain segment of the party closer to it, rather than just looking for the best successor within their ranks.

Well, one of the possible successors was arrested during Mensalão, that probably had an impact on their plans and they needed to improvise.

NeonZ

Well, what are the effects of it then? It just doesn't seem very effective, that' all.

The idea is that it gives more legitimacy to the eventual impeachment, if it really happens. Remember, the way it works here, that's basically just a political decision, not necessarily tied to a judicial sentence - there's supposed to be an accusation tied to one of the reasons mentioned by the Constitution, but it's a decision from the legislative houses. A judicial sentence following proper procedure would just be a way to give public legitimacy to that accusation.

Platy

Last picture, promisse

Wt59Fkg.png

#Team Capitain America
#Stark Out

To be fair Brazil is not that far from Trump ... this mess is creating an entire hate on every political party and this can only end in

1- Political reform in fairytale land where every political party goes to trash, every politician who ever had any shit found can't enter and stuff like that

2- Some crazy "I am not like these politicians" guy takes the power... and the support for Bolsonaro shows that this is the more likely way the country will go (but not him because he is an idiot ... the country need a better class of racist and homophobic bussiness man =P)

Zeroth

A new government would probably benefit from a senade and congress aligned to their goals, compared to what we have now. So in a sense a change could mean a lot, even if we are getting a crappy substitute

Gustavoh

Neo Member
You are free to post whatever you want.

But it's hilarious to see such an absurd attempt to undermine the protests being taken for granted as "new information" on the OP. I mean... "the police were respectful", "there was a duck", are you for real? People, for once, brought their kids to be a part of this, kids who spent 4+ hours there, how dare they have some fun?

It becomes even more hilarious when there are FUCKIN 4 MILLION PEOPLE on streets (that's a lot of rich people), and you point fingers at 5 people on a yacht, while government supporters had a FUCKIN PLANE soaring over the people in an attempt to mock them.

nao-vai-ter-golpe-aviao-rio.jpg

And of course you see "pro-government" protests in television. It's just naive to expect a 7k people event to have the same political relevance or air time on tv as a 4kk people event. Anyway, BECAUSE there was such a huge number of people, it was not surprising, although it's a shame, to see there were some with right-wing populist views among the protesters.

After all, populism is basically what brought us to this mess, be it left or right-wing.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post, Goron! Hilarious indeed.

Now Platy, tell us another one, maybe that new one about the petista, the nun, and the Odebrecht lawyer who met at a bar.

The idea is that it gives more legitimacy to the eventual impeachment, if it really happens. Remember, the way it works here, that's basically just a political decision, not necessarily tied to a judicial sentence - there's supposed to be an accusation tied to one of the reasons mentioned by the Constitution, but it's a decision from the legislative houses. A judicial sentence would just be a way to give public legitimacy to it.

I thought it was already legitimate enough with the popular opinion going around the whole thing. This makes people look more like pawns in my eyes. :p

I wonder if this will "end in pizza". I'm very cynical about the whole show.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Short term, if they fall, it will help the country economy-wise.
It might be just enough room for a new president to act and try to recover the economy in the long term.

Trust me, in America it's still better. You have sane choices for your vote.

All we have for now is a big duck.

See ? I told the duck was better. And I have to agree with him. Between Aécio and Dilma, we were fucked either way.

I'd take a duck over Hillary or Trump any day.

GO FOR DUCK!!

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun

Uhhh... If anything, the irony of protesting on a private yacht (as a sign of one's wealth) is multiplied if there is a plane... I'm sure this was not a statement orchestrated by the lower classes.

Gotta side with Platy on this one - and with you as well: it is abundantly clear who is complaining the most... the wealthy (or at least people above the middle class).

Tiops

Uhhh... If anything, the irony of protesting on a private yacht (as a sign of one's wealth) is multiplied if there is a plane... I'm sure this was not a statement orchestrated by the lower classes.

Gotta side with Platy on this one - and with you as well: it is abundantly clear who is complaining the most... the wealthy (or at least people above the middle class).
The plane was pro government.

And man, Brazil has a crapload of rich people then.

1457952058915-image.jpeg

iPaul93

EMO9hlf.jpg

I was there today. Here are two pictures I took:

6dJaMMq.jpg

wNLWWoA.jpg

There was a lot of people, I'm not joking. If you add all the people that couldn't get into the avenue, it could almost double the registered number.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn,thats a lot of people!

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
The plane was pro government.

And man, Brazil has a crapload of rich people then.

1457952058915-image.jpeg

I hadn't noticed that. I stand corrected in one point - but we still see wealthier people on opposing sides of the political spectrum, anyway...

Regarding your other comment, I'm fairly sure that's not the blue-collar on those protests. People were bringing bottles of champagne, man.

But of course, the government threat to end the social programs if they lose the elections like they did in 2014. The poor are basically hostage. You don't see the poor defending the government, only the militants.

From everything I've read about Brazil, all the parties are corrupt as fuck. The only choice is at least pick the corrupt one that is going to fuck over the poor the least, which frankly seems to still be the PT.

Tiops

I hadn't noticed that. I stand corrected in one point - but we still see wealthier people on opposing sides of the political spectrum, anyway...

Regarding your other comment, I'm fairly sure that's not the blue-collar on those protests. People were bringing bottles of champagne, man.

Yes, there were a lot of rich people in the protests. But it doesn't mean that only the elite is protesting.

The approval ratings of the president is pretty low. On December 2015, only 9% of the population rate the president as Great/Good. One of the the researches shows that her approval ratings between young people (16 to 24 years) is at 5%. It's pretty bad between the whole population.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Platy do you work in propaganda or political PR? If not, you should. Or make good money as a "journalist".

I'm an European who lived a good part of his life in a very corrupt country and I've seen this kind of tactic so many times from bought up journalists or corrupt people in general. Focus on the trees instead of the forest works up to a point, when the forest gets to big to be ignored.

Every protest in history has its fair share of diverse people with diverse requests and a fair share of nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom