• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large Youtubers Hide Ownership of CSGO Lottery Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The IRS and DoJ are going to fucking wash these guys. They are fucked.

They were dumb enough too register the site in their names, through domestic based legal channels. Lol GG boys.

Effect

But he's always been forthcoming with his involvement with CS:GOLotto!

This seems like a lawyer just gave him some advice

Likely. That twitter post with him trying to justify things is also gone too.

Just posted on https://twitter.com/TmarTn
Response to the H3 vid: always had a lot of respect for Ethan, never seen a one-sided video from him. Weirdly enough, he never reached out to Tom or I. Just very odd not to see both sides of the field portrayed.

I've admitted to wishing I was more upfront about owning the site. It was always public info but I was never very outspoken about it. My idea was to keep business business, while the focus of YouTube was simply making entertaining content. Obviously that was misleading to viewers and something I very much regret. I've never been perfect and I 100% own up to that mistake.

That being said, everything we've done up until this point has been legal, that has been a #1 priority of ours. The day it becomes illegal is the day we cease activity.

Either way, love you guys and the support. If you're upset with me I understand! Thanks dudes.

Any comparison to pachinko, while apt, entirely misses the point that everyone on the fucking planet knows that it's actually gambling. So, I entirely welcome anyone to attempt to justify a pachinko racket being promoted without disclosure by its owners to millions of underage users over the internet while a massive corporate overlord watches in the background and facilitates the transfer of billions of literal actual dollars.

This is partially my fault. I'm sorry. If I knew it'd come to shit like this I would never have played the old online multiplayers. Quake, UT, TF and the like 15+ years ago, none of it. I'm sorry. And not just the gambling and fraud! Whatever this culture of CS news and gossip being an internet news channel is, that textures ever cost money, that tourneys were ever worth enough money to bet/rig/influence, all of it. I'm sorry.

jabuseika

Have to put some blame on Valve as well. They've allowed these clowns to create websites like this. Valve has also allowed CSGO players to link their accounts to these shady sites, which they could block.

Valve is allowing underage kids to gamble online, they can stop if they want.

KAP151

If (big if) they are found to be guilty in a court, they will just cop a fine and move on.

Find a new loophole, change the company name and voila. Rinse and repeat.

Shady fucking shit.

Squire

Banned
They use the same system as pachinko balls.

Pachinko balls are not cash, but you do a double exchange to convert it to money. You exchange the balls for a proxy item, then go to a separate building to exchange them for cash.

The same is done with steam wallet money, and there are sites with explanations on how to do so with large amounts of steam money.

Right.

People can be as obtuse about this as they like. Valve is using gambling tactics and enabling the behavior. Plenty of companies use microtransactions, plenty are beyond the pale, and Valve is one of them.

antonz

If (big if) they are found to be guilty in a court, they will just cop a fine and move on.

Shady fucking shit.

Really depends on how aggressive the Prosecution against them would want to get. Enabling Underage gambling etc. Florida could theoretically nail him with a 3rd degree felony for each and every person under 21 who used the site.

Florida also has a lot of laws regarding individuals running Lotto's. So lots of interesting stuff

Tmartn's comments there (made nearly a week ago) come across even more slimy than the stuff that he's saying now.

He basically confirms there that he knows what he was doing was encroaching on some super shady territory, but spent a lot of time with a lawyer finding loopholes to make the site "legal", which probably explains why he's still feeling so smug about it now. It'll certainly be interesting to see how that lawyer's advice holds up for him.

Says it's not a gambling site.

Names it "lotto".

Dafuq? This asshole.... I mean, ya ALMOST have to give him props for the SHEER FUCKING BALLS he's carrying around every day. Some prison time would do nicely to shrink them to a more manageable size. Little creampuff would get eaten alive in a real prison. If he ever got convicted though, he'd probably do his time in club fed. Shame.

This is insanely disgusting. Insanely predatory on kids who don't know any better and are easy to take advantage of, they should be ashamed of themselves. I hope this blows up in their faces.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Shady fucking shit.

Maybe, except the fine would be HUGE, and that's not even considering asset seizure and BIG trouble with the IRS.

collige

Banned

Shady fucking shit.

Nah, the FTC/IRS is gonna tear him to shreds on this. I'm betting actual prison time.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Valve needs to crack down on this before the government does and takes it too far.

The judical system needs to crack down on Valve aswell. They've found a loophole and are using it to the fullest for profit.

Its one thing to charge for microtransactions, its another when you're promoting, and exploiting, an operation which handles nearly identically to a hazard game. With similiar aftermath and outcome to regular gambling.

This is insanely disgusting. Insanely predatory on kids who don't know any better and are easy to take advantage of, they should be ashamed of themselves. I hope this blows up in their faces.
Like with most other things that annoy lawmakers in the US, once their person money gets into the mix they'll miraculously start caring. If a member of congress finds out their kid has been gambling with their gaming account money they gave them while a multi billion-dollar company stands in the background facilitating it? Whoooboy.

Armadilo

Banned
But one question. CSGO money is not real money ? As you sell skins but get Steam money if you sell skins but you can never really turn it into real money ?

Valve's part in this is what the OP should be about. Random cunts acting cunty isn't new, but Valve enabling this kind of behaviour is genuinely shocking.

Coldsun

Banned
In an ideal world:

Google would remove partner status from these people.
Amazon would remove them from Twitch.
Valve would lockdown the steam bots.
And the IRS would come down something fierce on these people who've just had their only real sources of income completely scraped from them.

What will actually happen? No clue :\

Foffy

Banned
It seems like he's trying to cover up even videos that showcased his lies on his own channel.

Sincerely hope he's taken to court over this. If it's all legal, and he's done nothing wrong, then why dodge and cover up shit you've done yourself, huh? ;)

But he's also in Florida. Considering how fucking backwards that place is, I'm sure he'd be acquitted of any illegal activities.

Justified

It seems like he's trying to cover up even videos that showcased his lies on his own channel.

Sincerely hope he's taken to court over this. If it's all legal, and he's done nothing wrong, then why dodge and cover up shit you've done yourself, huh? ;)

But he's also in Florida. Considering how fucking backwards that place is, I'm sure he'd be acquitted of any illegal activities.

This would be federal level, not state.

Majine

Banned
As an outsider, how is Valve "enabling" this? Seems like the same way Loot boxes in Overwatch works (and a lot of other games).

Watched the video. Can't believe these scumbags did this stuff. I don't play CS but I can appreciate the weight of all this. These dudes are so fucked. Wonder if anyone else feels the ripple effect.

I have never been a fan of "influencers" or YouTube people. There's no oversight. It's all very... trashy to me. This ordeal pretty much proves it.

Kalnos

Banned
As an outsider, how is Valve "enabling" this? Seems like the same way Loot boxes in Overwatch works (and a lot of other games).

You can trade items to another steam account (i.e. your friend/any random) and they have developer APIs that can be used to automate this process.

Any comparison to pachinko, while apt, entirely misses the point that everyone on the fucking planet knows that it's actually gambling. So, I entirely welcome anyone to attempt to justify a pachinko racket being promoted without disclosure by its owners to millions of underage users over the internet while a massive corporate overlord watches in the background and facilitates the transfer of billions of literal actual dollars.

This is partially my fault. I'm sorry. If I knew it'd come to shit like this I would never have played the old online multiplayers. Quake, UT, TF and the like 15+ years ago, none of it. I'm sorry. And not just the gambling and fraud! Whatever this culture of CS news and gossip being an internet news channel is, that textures ever cost money, that tourneys were ever worth enough money to bet/rig/influence, all of it. I'm sorry.

I mean, sure, but I don't really see it as being any worse than Wizards of the Coast randomly distributing rare cards to encourage buying tons of Magic packs on the off chance you get a $500 card.

TheYanger

I mean, sure, but I don't really see it as being any worse than Wizards of the Coast randomly distributing rare cards to encourage buying tons of packs.

We've explained the difference a ton of times: Wizards of the coast doesn't gain anything from the secondary market, valve literally profits off of the buying/selling of these items BEYOND just the sale of the key (which is the analog of the pack).

Wizards of the coast doesn't make a cut from me selling a magic card on ebay or anywhere else, valve not only does, but they own the only legitimate way for you to sell those items.

We've explained the difference a ton of times: Wizards of the coast doesn't gain anything from the secondary market, valve literally profits off of the buying/selling of these items BEYOND just the sale of the key (which is the analog of the pack).

Wizards of the coast doesn't make a cut from me selling a magic card on ebay or anywhere else, valve not only does, but they own the only legitimate way for you to sell those items.

I was referring specifically to the morals of "blind box" gambling, but whatever.

Usobuko

Banned
Aww, can Valve go public quickly so I can buy their IPO?

The psychologists their hired to herd the Western players better be paid top notch dollars.

TheYanger

I was referring specifically to the morals of "blind box" gambling, but whatever.

Blind boxes aren't a problem, so no buying the key to open the box isn't any different than a pack of magic cards. If that's all that was involved it wouldn't be a discussion right now (I get that there are people that don't like it, but it's not any different then, no).

If they ban CSGO Gambling a lot of big twitch streamers are fucked. That is all PhantomL0rd does, he has won and lost millions of dollars worth of CSGO skins and he recently gave away $100k worth of skins.

Shame about ProSyndicate, I enjoy watching his vlogs.

Blind boxes aren't a problem, so no buying the key to open the box isn't any different than a pack of magic cards. If that's all that was involved it wouldn't be a discussion right now (I get that there are people that don't like it, but it's not any different then, no).

I'm sure most people here are concerned about artificially creating rare items, which are then used in gambling, which then encourage people to spend more money to recover their lost collateral.

Pretty sure you're the only one who cares about the distinction, actually.

element

This isn't the first time that Tom Cassell (ProSyndicate) has been accused of promoting a product that he has a vested interest in.

Last year he and SeaNanners had a company called 3BlackDot that published a game called Dead Realm. Both promoted the game extensively on their channels without mentioning that they are employees of the company.

These guys see that no one is going to go after them, so they keep doing it. It won't be until a hawkish DA decides to jump on them that anything will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom