• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larry Bundy Jr: 4 Times Shigeru Miyamoto Was an Asshole

Jay Sosa

Since apparently him being an asshole directly led to two of my favorite games being developed I can't really hate the guy for it.

So now that we got "four times rumors pointed to Miyamoto possibly being a jerk"

Can we get "The 100,000 times Yamauchi was legitimately, actually an asshole"

Isnt it pretty well known that Miyamoto is pretty stone cold ruthless behind the scenes compared to his more lovable grandad of video games public image?

Z7kWJLN.gif

Platy

So now that we got "four times rumors pointed to Miyamoto possibly being a jerk"

Can we get "The 100,000 times Yamauchi was legitimately, actually an asshole"

This list is actualy a good start ... not paying devs and not crediting people can all be traced all way up to yamauchi =P

Since apparently him being an asshole directly led to two of my favorite games being developed I can't really hate the guy for it.

The 'ripping off less powerful competitors/collaborators because they can't do anything about it' aspect is pretty not cool at all. That's not 'Miyamoto was a meanie', it's 'Miyamoto engaged in shady and criminal business practices'. But we also wouldn't have DOS if not for these types of practices. And the world would have been spared Microsoft. Hmmm.....

Flipping tea tables over trivial things and forcing bad gimmicks into games have made me sour on Miyamoto. It honestly has me worried about Pikmin 4.
Without Miyamoto. I don't think Pikimin would've gotten more sequels. Pikimin 3 and 4 seem to be Miyamoto wanting more Pikimin games.

He loves that series.

MacTag

Banned
The 'ripping off less powerful competitors/collaborators because they can't do anything about it' aspect is pretty not cool at all. That's not 'Miyamoto was a meanie', it's 'Miyamoto engaged in shady and criminal business practices'. But we also wouldn't have DOS if not for these types of practices. And the world would have been spared Microsoft. Hmmm.....
There's nothing criminal in here, and even the shady bits are overwhelmingly suspect for most. This isn't exactly Bethesda here.

Don't have strong insight on the subject but I enjoyed this interview with Dylan from late 2000s where he talks about his history with Nintendo, Miyamoto and Starfox.

I think smart business people put their feelings aside to get jobs though. Even if there is some bad history there.

Nice to see a clickbait video based on at least 3 lies and hearsay is being received appropriately skeptically.

Oh wait.

And yet people also accepted it all as truth and were still fine with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MacTag said:
This isn't exactly Bethesda here.

If true it's arguably worse, or at least roughly equivalent, as instead of forcing a company into a financial situation where they have to be bought by you, you simply take what you want from them and kick them to the curb. Slavery or destitution.

MisterR

Not really, especially considering that many in here has outlined many good reasons as to why people shouldnt believe the video without reservation.

Though I agree that there is something thick in here alright. Don't worry though, I do consider ND as a great dev so you dont need to lose any tears about it :)

The point isn't that the statements are all true or that they should all be believed. I really don't care how you feel about ND, that was just the first recent outrage that popped into my head and was much less of an issue than if any of these things are true about Miyamoto, which I suspect are somewhat true and somewhat not. The point is that the reactions on here are due to biases and fanboy motives much more than the actually merits of the issue.

nkarafo

I don't feel OK with the Mario 64 accusation.

I mean, if it's just a piece of code for you, sure. But for me the game is about Game Design as a whole. The way it controls, the level design, the platforming, the balance. Croc doesn't control even remotely as good. And it's not designed to be nearly as good also. So what did exactly Miyamoto stole? A few lines of code? That's still an asshole thing to do, mind you. But doesn't take away from his creation in any way IMO.

This dude is just a youtuber right? He's not in the industry is he? It seems kinda shitty to just spread rumors that haven't been confirmed by any sources.

TS-08

I don't feel OK with the Mario 64 accusation.

I mean, if it's just a piece of code for you, sure. But for me the game is about Game Design as a whole. The way it controls, the level design, the platforming, the balance. Croc doesn't control even remotely as good. And it's not designed to be nearly as good also. So what did exactly Miyamoto stole? A few lines of code? That's still an asshole thing to do, mind you. But doesn't take away from his creation in any way IMO.

What's the source for the accusation that code was actually "stolen" or used for Mario 64? I'll admit I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but the only quotes I'm seeing only suggest Miyamoto may have been influenced by the prototype. Is such a thing being treated as naturally implicit in the idea that Nintendo was inspired by the prototype in developing Mario 64?

Matt

Rare sold itself to MS because the Stampers wanted to make hundreds of millions of dollars. They first offered to sell to Nintendo, who turned them down and instead wanted to continue as things were. It had nothing to do with SFA.

This video is just wrong on almost every level.

RoyalFool

Banned
Super Mario 64 started out as Croc?

Lmao.

This just isn't true, it started out as Super FX2 chip game on the Super NES, they happened to use Croc to demo what was possible, the same way they used their own internal shooter to prototype what would later get 'forked' by Nintendo to become Starfox.

MacTag

Banned
If true it's arguably worse, or at least roughly equivalent, as instead of forcing a company into a financial situation where they have to be bought by you, you simply take what you want from them and kick them to the curb. Slavery or destitution.
Worse than or equivalent to Bethesda? lol

Miyamoto's rivalry with Rare had nothing to do with the financial dealings of either company or the Stampers selling to MS. Argonaut had nothing stolen except a couple staff. And Nintendo at large had nothing to do with
the fate of DMA, who had other projects going at the time (GTA notably), still released Body Harvest anyway and ended up becoming one of the most powerful and influential developers in the industry. Such destitution.

Plum

Why is this in a series called Fact Hunt when there's as much actual hunting going on here as me buying a steak from the local supermarket?

Ridley327

Worse than or equivalent to Bethesda? lol

Miyamoto's rivalry with Rare had nothing to do with the financial dealings of either company or the Stampers selling to MS. Argonaut had nothing stolen except a couple staff. And Nintendo at large had nothing to do with
the fate of DMA, who had other projects going at the time (GTA notably), still released Body Harvest anyway and ended up becoming one of the most powerful and influential developers in the industry. Such destitution.

I think it helped out a lot that DMA Design already made their name with Lemmings back in the day, so they weren't in a position of needing Nintendo to make their own path forward once the partnership ended. Rare is kind of the same way, though it's hard to argue against how beneficial Nintendo's management of the studio was when we saw such a precipitous drop-off in output after MS bought them, along with MS's own mismanagement that never seemed to know what the hell to do with them.

Lutherian

Why is this in a series called Fact Hunt when there's as much actual hunting going on here as me buying a steak from the local supermarket?

Like it was said in previous pages by Glowsquid, Larry did add some explanations regarding the DKC quote in the description of the video (I wish he talked about that in the video rather than in the description ; it's not supposed to be there to justify something you said in the video).

And the explanation adds a lot of context.

totowhoa

Banned
With all the stealing Miyamoto's been doing per the OP, I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit. Or people are getting into some shit contracts. Or these are weird stories that include one side in what's likely a very complicated business arrangement.

DylanEno

It's YouTube. What's the point in actual fact checking and working hard on something that will likely just result in less people watching when you could instead simply make a clickbait title, list off some questionable claims, and call it a day?

It sucks, but that seems to be the way things (currently) work on YouTube. It's not about creating content that proves insightful or meaningful, but rather one that simply provokes a reaction.

Nice to see a clickbait video based on at least 3 lies and hearsay is being received appropriately skeptically.

Oh wait.

Larry Bundy Jr. specifically makes his videos based on sound research and interviews. He specifically quotes Argonaut staff and even the CEO in regards to these.

The video description contains a bunch of supplemental links and details as well.

I wouldn't call Larry's videos into question

Javier

Isn't Asshole Miyamoto also responsible for Splatoon as we know it? Otherwise we would have gotten Rabbits or Tofu Creatures instead of the Inklings.

Plum

Larry Bundy Jr. specifically makes his videos based on sound research and interviews. He specifically quotes Argonaut staff and even the CEO in regards to these.

The video description contains a bunch of supplemental links and details as well.

I wouldn't call Larry's videos into question

The video description contains... one supplemental link. That and it's been proven in this very thread that what he's saying are outright lies (that Nintendo - not Miyamoto personally - stole Star Fox 2's code, that Mario 64 is somehow just a clone of Croc, etc) or incredibly one-sided stories, i.e. specifically quoting Argonaut staff and no-one else.

Reset

I hope that Haha means you're being sarcastic because there's no way in hell DKC > Yoshi's Island

MAYBE 2. But not really. But 2 is great. But still no.

No, I'm laughing at how bitter Miyamoto sounds in the quote. Just because his game wasn't as good as the DKC trilogy.
Yoshi's Island isn't even as good as SMW, talk about a disappointing sequel.

LordRaptor

Anyone who's actually played Croc or Starfox 2 is probably not going to side with Jez San on the he said / she saids put forward here.

I'm pretty sure its a joke / spoonerism / pseudo-homophone for Fat Cunt.
It was a running gag name of a game show by Al Murray a Uk comedian in his Pub Landlord sitcom for example.

Glowsquid

I don't find the 'debunking' of the DKC quote by people in this thread particularly convincing. Steven Kent is highly respected, and not one to make up quotes, and an interview, some 15 years later, saying Miyamoto was cool with the graphics doesn't change that fact. He may have been having a bad day, or whatever, but I don't see a reason to doubt him throwing shade when DKCs success was causing him problems, at least internally.

I realize miy misgivings about the quote in no way prove it false and I edited my post accordingly, but I maintain there's something odd about Steven Kent describes it. It's like, why would Miyamoto insult Tim Stampers like that... in front of his face... in what's supposed to be a PR thing from the game.

Plus from the content of the Retrogamer interview and other post-mortems about DKC from other Rare employees (like Kevin Bayliss), my impression was that Miyamoto was fine with DKC as a whole, not just "the graphics". That, of course, does not prevent Miyamoto from slagging off the game in a moment of frustration, but that's a pretty far cry from hating the game and being "jealous" of Rare and trying to "ruin" them as some people try to frame it.

It's YouTube. What's the point in actual fact checking and working hard on something that will likely just result in less people watching when you could instead simply make a clickbait title, list off some questionable claims, and call it a day?

It sucks, but that seems to be the way things (currently) work on YouTube. It's not about creating content that proves insightful or meaningful, but rather one that simply provokes a reaction.

It's a bit sad this video seems to be some people's intro to Guru Larry, because his videos are usually great. This one is uncharactestically weak; I can find a source for all the statements, but they're all one-sided and highly suspect (The Croc/Sm64 accusation one, especially, just doesn't work if you think about it critically) and it was a mistake to present them as TrueFax. The Fact Hunt videos are very well researched and rise far above the usual "DID U NOW SUPER MARIO BROS 2 IS ACTUALLY DONKEY DONKEY DONKEY PICNIC???" dross.

Exodust

Banned
While I don't exactly agree with some of video's choices Miyamoto has a tendency to step in and go against developer wishes, for better or worse.

But my favorite salty Miyamoto moments have less to do with actual development, and more to do with him saying "I could've made Halo" and saying the same for Minecraft. Like what does that even mean? You could've made something that wasn't made but didn't because but you totally would have?

Dude's a fantastic game designer, but large praise usually leads to a large ego.

dh4niel

I thought Miyamoto's comment on Donkey Kong Country turned out to be untrue. Nintendo did fuck over Argonaut pretty badly.

Top Bottom