• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comedy Central Cancels Larry Wilmore’s Late-Night Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
In the midst of a wild and unpredictable presidential campaign, Comedy Central is upending its late-night lineup and canceling Larry Wilmore’s show.

The final episode of Mr. Wilmore’s 11:30 p.m. “The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore” will be Thursday, the network announced on Monday.

Kent Alterman, Comedy Central’s president, said he informed Mr. Wilmore of the news late last week. The move, he said in an interview, was made for a simple reason: the show “hasn’t resonated.”

“Even though we’ve given it a year and a half, we’ve been hoping against hope that it would start to click with our audience, but it hasn’t happened and we’ve haven’t seen evidence of it happening,” Mr. Alterman said.

The awkward timing of the cancellation, just 12 weeks before the election, ultimately came down to a contract, Mr. Alterman said. Mr. Wilmore’s deal, along with those of several of the show’s other staff members, was set to expire in a few weeks and the network had to decide now whether to renew or cancel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/b...cels-larry-wilmores-late-night-show.html?_r=0

cancel me if old

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/larry-wilmore-nightly-show-canceled-comedy-central-1201837298/

“The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore” will call it a day after Thursday’s episode.

Comedy Central has canceled the half-hour series that replaced “The Colbert Report” on Jan. 19, 2015, making “Nightly” the first of the recent wave of late-night newcomers to shutter.

Wilmore informed his staff of the cabler’s decision Monday afternoon.

In the near term, Comedy Central will slide Chris Hardwick’s pop culture quiz show “@Midnight” to the 11:30 p.m. slot that follows “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.”

Comedy Central president Kent Alterman said the decision was made because “Nightly” had failed to gain ratings traction with the cabler’s core demo of young adults, nor were there positive signs for the show in key social media metrics. Alterman made a point of praising Wilmore and the distinctive approach he brought to commenting on the day’s news.

“We hold Larry in the highest esteem, personally and professionally. He brought a strong voice and point of view to the late-night landscape,” Alterman told Variety. “Unfortunately it hasn’t resonated with our audience.”

Alterman called it a “business decision” to pull the plug.

I liked the Nightly Show, but I could see this coming. He just wasn't getting the audience he needed.

Well damn. I love Larry and really wanted to like his show but the format just sucked and every other late night show really stepped up their game.

I stopped watching a few months ago myself. The show just didn't work. The panels were immensely vapid and shouldn't have been a regular thing.

Kal_El

I don't like his panel concept; often times his sketches lasted too long; I didn't like the field team. I really like him though.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I never enjoyed it so no big loss for me

Pretty much. I felt like it had gotten worse (especially the round-table discussions) over this last year as well. I used to tune into some episodes after the daily show, but now I just find myself turning the TV off.

atr0cious

I liked his guest format, just wish he actually put effort into it. Maybe he'll do Netflix show. Dude seemed to be a pretty decent writer when given the chance.

ctfg23

I just stopped watching not too long ago. I would've kept watching if I knew it was going to end.

Edit: I wonder if Larry will go back to TDS?

Jeb

So what are they doing about the Daily Show?

That show has been a snooze fest since Stewart left.

Worst part is that people have been recommending Willmores show for a while, but I never got the chance to catch it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I never understood how sooo many night shows make it as it is.

Maybe it's me being old man yelling at the clouds, but I can't imagine the amount of people awake to watch all of these late night shows at 11:30 is large enough to support every fucking channel trying to have their own.

border

So I guess that gives Trevor Noah about 6 months to shape up or he's out the door. Hopefully we can get someone better on The Daily Show.

Erevador

The show just didn't work at all. No energy or momentum. Never came alive.

Comedy Central are smart to cut their losses.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Look, Larry's show grew on me over the months, but let's be real here. The guy was a terrible replacement for Colbert, just as Noah is a terrible replacement for Stewart. I never understood how of all the correspondents they could have picked to succeed him, they went with Wilmore.

The most surprising thing about this news is that he managed to last as long as he did.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I guess it wasn't surprising it happened but that it happened during the election season

I thought it was an okay show but never improved from its faults

Lasted way longer than I thought. Trying to replace Stewart and Colbert was a mistake, make something completely different.

W-00

It's a pity for Wilmore and the staff, but the show just wasn't very good. The panels most often seemed to be comprised of completely unqualified people talking about subjects they didn't understand (and when experts were brought on, the regulars would talk over their informed points to make stupid jokes) and the sketches were more similar to Fox's 1/2 Hour News Hour (okay, I only saw one sketch, but it was very similar to the Nightly Show's sketches) than anything worthwhile.

What a mess. From late night royalty to having their lunch eaten by HBO and TBS.

I do hope they fill the slot with another political show and not something asinine like Tosh.0

Sanjuro

Was waiting for this. I like him more than Noah's program, but even while enjoying the program you could get the feel he wasn't going to reach that audience while helming the show. Certainly not on CC anyway.

Think he would work in smaller doses. The entire talk show circuit is incredibly out of wack right now. Online platform might be the best for him.

As a side note, I feel HBO needs to streamline their talk shows more. They could easily have a unique program every night of the week.

Eumi

I never minded the clips I saw on YouTube but I have also never heard anyone talk about it ever. This cancellation isn't suprising honestly.

I followed Colbert to CBS, so I never really watched apart from a handful of episodes here and there, but this still bums me out.

Larry is an incredibly gifted dude and will undoubtedly get the chance to make his mark elsewhere.

StMeph

Maybe it's me being old man yelling at the clouds, but I can't imagine the amount of people awake to watch all of these late night shows at 11:30 is large enough to support every fucking channel trying to have their own.

They're really cheap to produce. Same reason there are so many completely bonkers reality TV shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom