• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

He said he is avoiding being placing too much focus on trump which thank god, i love seeing jokes about trump as much as the next plus not being american makes it easier to enjoy jokes but he is better off having the subjects be something else otherwise it risk being repetitive and it has been covered by the news extensively. The shows strength is on the overlooked and/or obscure issues which makes both informative and entertaining.

UraMallas

Any word on the subject?

I'd be okay with Trump, but it would be nice if he took on some obscure issue within America like he usually does.

I read an interview yesterday (forget where) that said he still plans on doing the more obscure issues and letting everybody else hammer Trump. I'm sure he'll get his jabs in, though. Tonight's episode? I can't imagine it not being on Trump.

Abelard

Same night as The Walking Dead? Well darn.

Hope its not going to be what I think it is which is Trump 24/7 because while there's a lot of material, it just gets old- I watch this show to be entertained not depressed dammit.

Same night as The Walking Dead? Well darn.

Hope its not going to be what I think it is which is Trump 24/7 because while there's a lot of material, it just gets old- I watch this show to be entertained not depressed dammit.
You do?

Did you miss the episodes on debt.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tonight he returns.
C4VLDEbWcAEArqR.png:large

Cute promo photo, but I disagree with the marketing here. I get that they like self depreciating humor, but they should emphasize a more confident and strong Oliver, facing the tough times ahead. Portraying him as a guy hiding behind his desk is a misfire.

He said he is avoiding being placing too much focus on trump which thank god, i love seeing jokes about trump as much as the next plus not being american makes it easier to enjoy jokes but he is better off having the subjects be something else otherwise it risk being repetitive and it has been covered by the news extensively. The shows strength is on the overlooked and/or obscure issues which makes both informative and entertaining.

Does anyone think he'll get the same shit that the South Park guys got over saying nearly the same thing?

Cute promo photo, but I disagree with the marketing here. I get that they like self depreciating humor, but they should emphasize a more confident and strong Oliver, facing the tough times ahead. Portraying him as a guy hiding behind his desk is a misfire.

Not exactly a new thing, pretty much every piece of marketing for this show that I can recall from the beginning has poked fun of Oliver.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not exactly a new thing, pretty much every piece of marketing for this show that I can recall from the beginning has poked fun of Oliver.

Yeah, I know, which is why I mentioned the fact that I get that they like to do self-deprecating humor. I just feel like the marketing department should consider a different strategy to synergize with the current political climate.

Yeah, I know, which is why I mentioned the fact that I get that they like to do self-deprecating humor. I just feel like the marketing department should consider a different strategy to synergize with the current political climate.

Yeah I get that, not sure that meshes with how Oliver sees/wants the show to be viewed though. He's stated multiple times that he thinks the show is about comedy first, political/current event reporting isn't the shows primary goal (although they do a pretty great job at it for a show that's apparently not aiming at that as priority one).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah I get that, not sure that meshes with how Oliver sees/wants the show to be viewed though. He's stated multiple times that he thinks the show is about comedy first, political/current event reporting isn't the shows primary goal (although they do a pretty great job at it for a show that's apparently not aiming at that as priority one).

Right, it is funny, that is important. I think they could do funny AND not give the impression of him being scared, even if it is a joke.

Part of what also nags at me is the thing I mentioned earlier about how the South Park guys got treated for their statement that they think they're Trumped out and won't focus too much on him in the upcoming season. All of a sudden they are labeled cowards for a pretty benign statement, which is totally absurd considering how fucking brutal they were on Trump for the last two seasons.

Now, here is John Oliver, shown literally cowering behind his desk, saying pretty much the same thing as the South Park guys, and no one cares.

BahamutPT

Right, it is funny, that is important. I think they could do funny AND not give the impression of him being scared, even if it is a joke.

Part of what also nags at me is the thing I mentioned earlier about how the South Park guys got treated for their statement that they think they're Trumped out and won't focus too much on him in the upcoming season. All of a sudden they are labeled cowards for a pretty benign statement, which is totally absurd considering how fucking brutal they were on Trump for the last two seasons.

Now, here is John Oliver, shown literally cowering behind his desk, saying pretty much the same thing as the South Park guys, and no one cares.

They didn't really say the same thing though.

John said they are avoiding too much focus, which doesn't mean that LWT is not making fun of Trump at all. This likely means they'll also have other things to tackle instead of Trump-related stuff as the big issue every single week. We'll probably still get quick stings about day-to-day Trump & Co stuff at the beginning of each LWT episode (during "Recap of the Week" segment).

On the other hand, Trey and Matt clearly said that they are backing off of Trump jokes.

Yes, because "the Putin stare" is something I totally associate with a parrot who works at a bank cosplaying as Harry Potter.

I thought it fit his character and the times pretty well. LWT has never been that Mayer "I know shit because imma librul" type thing. More like "here is that boring science or government topic nobody can report to you because it's boring, presented by a parrot. Also have you seen our gekko's? Or this cat?" if that makes sense.

It's marketing, not what you actually get from the show.

edit: cat! not dog.

Not many hours left. It's been a long time, but it feels like even longer.

The Show has made some under the belt jokes about a lot of subjects. I get the sense that by having a go at himself, Oliver gets a lot more bandwith to make insensitive jokes about others. He is brutal on himself. I like it. If you look at his personality in interviews he does have a lot of self doubt and he is modest and hard on himself. I think it's who he is, and I think that if they tried to make him some tough morale crusader he'd be a lot more preachey and annoying to a lot people.

What this show offers is that people who might disagree completely with liberal policies will want to see it, just to have Oliver make fun of himself. And it's not just himself but also his british heritage and the way he looks.

Lastly, what he does is not something I see others doing. It's one of the things that sets Last Week Tonight apart. People who are self depricating harbor a lot of good will. It's easier to get away with cruel jokes if you're also roasting yourself.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean, he is completely right about you arent going to get anywhere if you cant get passed the fact that Trump counters reality. As long as that conflict exists there is a glitch in the system and its all fucked.

Joeku

The Show has made some under the belt jokes about a lot of subjects. I get the sense that by having a go at himself, Oliver gets a lot more bandwith to make insensitive jokes about others. He is brutal on himself. I like it. If you look at his personality in interviews he does have a lot of self doubt and he is modest and hard on himself. I think it's who he is, and I think that if they tried to make him some tough morale crusader he'd be a lot more preachey and annoying to a lot people.

What this show offers is that people who might disagree completely with liberal policies will want to see it, just to have Oliver make fun of himself. And it's not just himself but also his british heritage and the way he looks.

Lastly, what he does is not something I see others doing. It's one of the things that sets Last Week Tonight apart. People who are self depricating harbor a lot of good will. It's easier to get away with cruel jokes if you're also roasting yourself.
Case in point: Last Cuck Tonight with Johnny Trigger-Warning

Pre-empting the shitty jokes made against them undercuts that shit somewhat.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The Republican war on truth and facts is the most terrifying thing about them. It isn't just Trump running this machine.
I need to catch this episode when I get off work but yeah sounds like we really need to do something to prevent 1984.

"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."

I laughed hardest at the cowboy's explanation of "other people". So good to have this show back. Yet also terrifying to have so much horrific news condensed into 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom