• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West |OT| Yes, it's in English! (No thanks to NoA.)

Peff

That was another one of Capcom's PS2 euro stealth releases, a point'n'click time traveling adventure with a conversation system similar to Hotel Dusk (there are certain words that are bolded and you can click on them to ask about that topic). It wasn't bad, but it's not among CiNG's best either. Also, if I remember correctly it was English only and the cutscenes weren't subtitled.

Luigi87

I have long awaited this, and was so close ordering it, but then cancelled that action, as it would have come from my 3DS fund, and until I know for certain when that will release, I can't justify a purchase.

I still very much want this, and shall not forgive NoA for declining to release it here locally unless they change that opinion, but perhaps sometime in the near future instead I shall have my order... For now I stare at the Play-Asia page.

I thought Hotel Dusk was a pretty mediocre game. Plot was really mundane and uninteresting, and the tone is very milquetoast. Makes me wonder why that game was sometimes described as noir. Farthest thing from it. I wished the main plot focused on the main character and had that plot about the painting or whatever it was about as a more secondary thing.

Having said that, I will probably play through this one just because its slim pickens in this genre. Is the story actually decent in this one?

jesusraz

Wizpig said:
Cing experts: what the heck is this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Rose

Also, I still don't understand if "Again" is from the same team that made Hotel Dusk and Another Code. (mainly because, if i understand correctly, it's not as good as HD and AC)
AGAIN had Tecmo helping out with the scenario as well, so it's not what you'd call a 'pure' CiNG game. Personally I still enjoyed it and ended up giving it a 7/10. HD got an 8 from me, whilst AC: R and LW both got 9s :)

No.33 in its first week on the UK Individual Units Top 40 chart isn't bad considering I've only found one or two copies in all the various game stores I've checked in a couple of towns here in North England...Hopefully it won't plummet second week like Metroid: Other M did. Another Code: R was well received here, doing better a few weeks after launch, so I'd expect LW to at least do the same, if not better given the stronger DS market.

jesusraz

Some more review links:

Game People: No score, but a positive review overall ("Last Window looks georgeous and has enough tricks to keep even slightly dissinterested players like me playing to the end.")

Gamerzines: 70% ("We're lucky to see a game like The Last Window exist, let alone reach our shores. It might suffer from a terrible bout of deja-vu, but Kyle Hyde's last week in Cape West is a story worth listening to.")

Girl Gamers UK: 8/10 ("Each event that unfolds page by page gives gamers an interactive footstep towards questions that need to be answered, mysteries which have to be solved and finally an investigation into the secrets that Cape West holds. Who will you trust?")

trinest

jesusraz said:
No.33 in its first week on the UK Individual Units Top 40 chart isn't bad considering I've only found one or two copies in all the various game stores I've checked in a couple of towns here in North England...Hopefully it won't plummet second week like Metroid: Other M did. Another Code: R was well received here, doing better a few weeks after launch, so I'd expect LW to at least do the same, if not better given the stronger DS market.
It will do well online from imports I reckon.

Overall it seams this game is getting "average"+ reviews, and pretty much is "if you liked/played HD, AC etc. then you know what ur getting"

jesusraz said:
Some more review links:

Game People: No score, but a positive review overall ("Last Window looks georgeous and has enough tricks to keep even slightly dissinterested players like me playing to the end.")

Gamerzines: 70% ("We're lucky to see a game like The Last Window exist, let alone reach our shores. It might suffer from a terrible bout of deja-vu, but Kyle Hyde's last week in Cape West is a story worth listening to.")

Girl Gamers UK: 8/10 ("Each event that unfolds page by page gives gamers an interactive footstep towards questions that need to be answered, mysteries which have to be solved and finally an investigation into the secrets that Cape West holds. Who will you trust?")
Thanks.

Wizpig

Thanks for the replies. (so that's why Again seems pretty generic to me)
Meanwhile, i'm still waiting for my copy.

Currently playing through the Japanese version. Picked it up a couple months ago and never got around to playing it. Currently on Chapter 8 and enjoying it. I really like the characterization and story for this one.

I will say that there are some puzzles that are simply way too hard. In fact there is one that I hope they changed a bit for the localized version, because I think English speakers would have a tough time with it.

Sloane

Banned
God, I love this game as much as I've loved Hotel Dusk. I can't even really tell why, it might just be the whole atmosphere and the writing, but I do care about every single character of the game which except for Hotel Dusk has never happened to me -- I'm usually not even interested in the ones you are supposed to care about. The funny thing is that the slowness and the redundancy of the dialogue actually add a lot of depth and sympathy to the characters, at least for me. There's really not much to do in the game but I could just wander through the hallways for hours and hours... :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, I somewhat don't like the topic's title, since wasn't it Treehouse, which is under NoA, that translated the game?

Dineren

Banned
Gunloc said:
Still waiting on my copy. :/

Updated the image host in the OP, so hopefully everyone can see the pics again.
Same here, the wait is killing me. Should be any day now though, didn't seem like it took this long for Jam with the Band to get here.

Drkirby said:
You know, I somewhat don't like the topic's title, since wasn't it Treehouse, which is under NoA, that translated the game?
Treehouse didn't translate it.

Also, even if they did, it's still NoA that's blocking the game being released in North America. Treehouse, though based in North America, works for Nintendo as a whole so I don't see them as strictly synonymous.

I just imported Pokémon White, and don't feel like paying another $50 out for this game. Who knows it may come out in January like the last game did, lol.

But I absolutely enjoyed Kyle Hyde's character, some people told me I should cosplay as him. But I'm not gonna go to a convention by myself.

So CING is confirmed dead just because they filed for bankruptcy? There are different kinds of bankruptcy you know...

MidnightScott said:
So CING is confirmed dead just because they filed for bankruptcy? There are different kinds of bankruptcy you know...
CiNG's status is unknown. There has been no official (or unofficial) statement.

dream

Uh, wow. I accidentally clicked on this while trying to hit up the Civ 5 thread and was greeted by a picture of Kyle Hyde. I didn't even know CING made a sequel to Hotel Dusk!

Best pleasant surprise of the week.

Anyone know of an import shop in Canada?

Vexidus

Just got this game in the mail the other day, and loving it so far! I'm only on chapter 2 but I'm really savouring it. Looking at everything to get Kyle's often funny reactions, reading the book, etc.

Before I began, I was quite worried about the translation, fearing that it would be terrible since a different team did it. To my delight, Kyle still feels like good ol Kyle, and the other characters are just as great. Really happy about that!

The whole look, feel and style of the game carries on where the first one left off, so if you liked the first game, do yourself a favour and import this. Fantastic!

Yeah I think it's pretty disingenuous to trash a translation based off a screen or two. Sad the whole first page is cluttered up with that stuff.

Well I beat the game tonight. Don't highlight spoilers unless you want to read them!!!!

+

・Characterization - every character is just rendered really well and I didn't find anyone's conversations dragging on. Partly this is because you have to pay attention to the dialog or risk a Game Over, but mostly it's due to a well-written script.
・Graphics - Gorgeous 2D Black and White cut scenes with splashes of color. Really some of the best stuff I've seen on DS.
・Control - Pretty much all puzzles have good touchpen response. You can relax with the game like a book and use only the D-pad for walking around the halls and talking to people.

-

・Losing track of where to go - There were at least 5 or 6 times in the game where I completely lost track of what I was supposed to be doing. Usually this would happen after talking to a character and not concentrating enough on dialog to miss the subtle hits as to where to go next. Still, the problem is that you can't re-read dialog after you've finished talking to a character. So if you get stuck, you need to either buy a guide or check the net.
・Puzzles that are too difficult - Maybe I'm a whiner, but there were two puzzles in the game that I think were basically impossible to figure out.
Crossword puzzle and Elevator code puzzle. The crossword puzzle because you are not told that you can slightly change some of the keywords, such as taking the 's off the Cafe's name etc. Elevator code puzzle because even though I found the condors and had them in my notebook, I still do not understand how their positioning relates to the correct Elevator code. That puzzle needed one more hint!

I have to mark the game down for the minus points here, especially since I was unable to solve the last puzzle and wound up having to check a guide. That's a pretty empty way to end a game you got almost the whole way through on your own. Overall I give it an 8/10.

Nevertheless, in terms of the DS, it's definitely one of the best games of the year, and it'll probably make my overall top 10 list for 2010.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
・Losing track of where to go - There were at least 5 or 6 times in the game where I completely lost track of what I was supposed to be doing. Usually this would happen after talking to a character and not concentrating enough on dialog to miss the subtle hits as to where to go next. Still, the problem is that you can't re-read dialog after you've finished talking to a character. So if you get stuck, you need to either buy a guide or check the net.

This particular point was one of the major complaints that I had with the first game. :/

Still gonna get this, anyway.

I enjoyed Hotel Dusk a lot, and I'm considering this one but have always been reluctant to import.

Anyone know of an import shop in Canada?

Seconded.

Hotel Dusk was also the game that made me realize the DS has a multitouch screen. "Now where the hell did I put my second stylus?" If I get this will I need to relocate my spare stylus? ...And also, how come more games don't use this functionality?

Wizpig

someguyinahat said:
Hotel Dusk was also the game that made me realize the DS has a multitouch screen. "Now where the hell did I put my second stylus?" If I get this will I need to relocate my spare stylus? ...And also, how come more games don't use this functionality?
Um, it doesn't have a multitouch screen.

You're thinking of the exploit where you touch

A and B

and the DS thinks you are touching C between A and B, maybe?
That happens because it's not a multitouch screen.

Also, http://www.rainymood.com/ from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408404 should work with this game :lol

nny

hm...I was wondering if anyone from NTSC land that imported this game would like to trade the Nintendo points code; I have a US/Canada code from the latest Layton that I can't use.

Well this thread sure is dead.
Disappointing reviews so far, will play it because it's a game.. pity Cing died. I remember reading how they had this great relationship with Nintendo just a year or so ago. So much for that.

I'm thinking I'll wait a week or two and see if stores overstocked and have to slash the price. Gotta agree with Duckroll, no point betting on a dead pony.

Wizpig

someguyinahat said:
Oh....

suddenly it occurs to me that said puzzle was even more clever than I gave it credit for!
Yeah! I love puzzles that use the DS in a clever way, and Another Code / Hotel Dusk are THE games, for this.

I'm still waiting... :(

Visualante said:
Disappointing reviews so far, will play it because it's a game.. pity Cing died. I remember reading how they had this great relationship with Nintendo just a year or so ago. So much for that.
Almost every review said that if you liked Hotel Dusk you'll like this game, so I'm not sure why they're disappointing.

Some reviewers just don't understand the concept of a text adventure.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah, when you read the actual text of the reviews, they are all relatively positive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wizpig said:
Cing experts: what the heck is this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Rose

Also, I still don't understand if "Again" is from the same team that made Hotel Dusk and Another Code. (mainly because, if i understand correctly, it's not as good as HD and AC)

I actually have a copy of Glass Rose sitting on my shelf. I got it for free from Play Asia when I bought my PS3 from them way back. I've never opened it. I assume it sucks butt, but it's sealed and sitting on my shelf. :lol

Peff

gamingeek said:

You don't need any extra items, you have to
find a way to push more than two buttons at the same time
. To do that, just
press pause first, then unpause when you press the others

gamingeek

Peff said:
You don't need any extra items, you have to
find a way to push more than two buttons at the same time
. To do that, just
press pause first, then unpause when you press the others

Not sure if I understand that but I will try! Thanks. .:D

JoeFu

Banned
Yay, got my game today! Never knew UK games had such huge DS boxes, unless it's just Last Window...

Only finished the first chapter so far. Loving the music!

Top Bottom