• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LAT: California faces a looming teacher shortage, and the problem is getting worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

California faces a statewide teacher shortage because so many are leaving the job and so few are entering the profession, according to a new survey released Wednesday. And most school districts surveyed said the problem is getting worse.

The staffing problem is both wide and deep, with 75% of more than 200 districts surveyed reporting difficulties with filling positions and low-income urban and rural areas hit hardest.

Between 20% and 30% of teachers depart within the first five years, Darling-Hammond said. In some districts, as many as 50% do.

The math is not working out for school systems. Math and science teachers are particularly needed. But there are shortages even of elementary teachers in some areas.

“High-poverty districts report filling their vacancies with teachers who have substandard credentials more than twice as often as low-poverty districts (71% vs. 30%),” the research states. “They also report filling vacancies more often with substitute teachers (29% vs. 13%).”

LaTeira Haynes teaches biology and other science classes at Dymally High School in South Los Angeles. Her smallest class has 35 students; her largest, 47. In all, she is instructing 250 students this semester. But the challenge is much greater than conveying scientific concepts en masse.

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-california-teacher-shortage-20161129-story.html

As a Special Education Teacher, I know I basically have job security. Even as I might have to find a new school next year due to my school needing to renew their charter (We are currently applying with L.A. County School of Education). Still, the current situation and stats just show that after years of saying schools are terrible and teachers are terrible, not enough people want to be teachers now.

norm9

Between all the bureaucratic bs from the principals and school board, the focus on testing, the shitty parents, the shitty pay, the underfunding, the overcrowding, and the lack of any sort of support system, I'm shocked!

Malakai

High cost area and a low paying position that requires at least a 4 year degree. What do people expect?

jblank83

I thought about getting a teaching degree. Then I looked into the job market.

Pay athletes less and teachers more, etc etc.

Things will get even worse as more funds continue to be diverted to charter schools as a way to bust unions.

Its going to make education a completely unattractive career field. Why would anyone want to be a teacher when you not only make shit money considering your education credentials, but you don't even get the great healthcare/retirement benefits and job security associated with public sector work?

I don't blame them, low pay, ridiculous standardized testing, long hours, red tape, crazy entitled parents who think their angels can do no wrong.

fauxtrot

Banned
If I could figure out a way to get my teaching credential without having to go into significant debt doing so, I absolutely would. Are any programs in place to help potential new teachers get through the credential process?

I thought about getting a teaching degree. Then I looked into the job market.

Pay athletes less and teachers more, etc etc.

I agree teachers should receive better compensation, but the athletes argument is disingenuous. Athletes are paid as much as they are because a person like LeBron James is among the absolute best in the world at what he does. They're two totally different job markets.

Things will get even worse as more funds continue to be diverted to charter schools as a way to bust unions.

Its going to make education a completely unattractive career field. Why would anyone want to be a teacher when you not only make shit money considering your education credentials, but you don't even get the great healthcare/retirement benefits and job security associated with public sector work?

All part of the plan

With kids and teenagers being what they are, why would anyone want to be a teacher?

It's got to be the most unfulfilling job around relative to the hardship.

Tripon

If I could figure out a way to get my teaching credential without having to go into significant debt doing so, I absolutely would. Are any programs in place to help potential new teachers get through the credential process?

If you want to teach in an area of high need (Math, Science, Special Education, etc.), you can work as an intern employed by a school district or charter school. The internship or permit can last 1-3 years while you are in school earning your credential.

Most likely you won't be paid as much as a full time teacher, but it's better than doing regular student teaching. There's also Teach for America, which has its pros and cons that I won't go into, but they will hire you without a credential and place you somewhere that desperately needs teachers.

We don't appreciate education and treat teachers like crap in America. That's the long and short of it. Imagine all of the BS that they deal with now. And then subtract healthcare, pension, job security benefits.

Becoming a teacher will be laughed at from a financial standpoint soon. Not to mention in other ways as well.

old

It's not just the pay that sucks it's the fact you're blamed for your students results despite not getting to choose your students.

The dark truth nobody wants to admit is that despite what Hollywood wants you to believe... is that even a great teacher can't turn bad students into good students. Poor academic performance starts at home with the parents. Parents have the most influence on the student. A great teacher can't fix a student's well-entrenched apathy or hostility to education. Especially, if those attitudes are coming from home. But when that student does flunk it will be the teacher who is blamed.

While I have friends in the teaching profession I would never join, not unless I could pick my students. Of course I would only choose straight-A students. They'd all do well and I'd get credited for be a great teacher. Despite really doing nothing more than figuratively riding academic coat tails.

Its the complete opposite in Canada. Everyone is a teacher but there are no jobs as teachers retire so late. Also they get compensated very well, at least after a few years.

I taught for one year and loved the students but hated the politics involved. I could handle tough parents and kids, but when I have to change my way of teaching to fit in with what other teachers in the district are doing, even though my students are learning....shit just pisses me off thinking about it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Aren't they wanting everyone to have a masters degree on top of everything?

Teaching seems like one of those professions that is better in a midwestern suburb where you can make a decent living in a normal cost of living area with kids that have a semi-normal home life.

I can't imagine teachers are making like $100k in the Bay Area or other high cost of living areas where you'd need that much just to survive...much less live at a lifestyle that matches your education level. Now imagine barely getting by and dealing with kids where you're the closest thing they have to a parent in some situations. That has to take a toll on people.

Just put the kids in a room and show them online educational videos, then leave them locked there until they pass the quiz at the end of the session.

fauxtrot

Banned
If you want to teach in an area of high need (Math, Science, Special Education, etc.), you can work as an intern employed by a school district or charter school. The internship or permit can last 1-3 years while you are in school earning your credential.

Most likely you won't be paid as much as a full time teacher, but it's better than doing regular student teaching. There's also Teach for America, which has its pros and cons that I won't go into, but they will hire you without a credential and place you somewhere that desperately needs teachers.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into your suggestions. I have a 4 year degree in Accounting from a California State University but a pretty bad GPA (2.8) due to not really having much interest in going to class when I was younger, so I don't know if I'd even be seen as an acceptable candidate. Also, I have a job that pays well enough to support my partner and myself, which makes taking a significant pay cut difficult, even if temporarily. I've always wanted to teach middle or high school though, preferably History but I think I'd excel at teaching Math too.

Fugu

Its the complete opposite in Canada. Everyone is a teacher but there are no jobs as teachers retire so late. Also they get compensated very well, at least after a few years.
This is going to swing around next year, in Ontario at least. There's going to be a deficit in teachers for the first time in a long while.

Tripon

Thanks for the info, I'll look into your suggestions. I have a 4 year degree in Accounting from a California State University but a pretty bad GPA (2.8) due to not really having much interest in going to class when I was younger, so I don't know if I'd even be seen as an acceptable candidate. Also, I have a job that pays well enough to support my partner and myself, which makes taking a significant pay cut difficult, even if temporarily. I've always wanted to teach middle or high school though, preferably History but I think I'd excel at teaching Math too.
You can always go to a community college, and take some easy courses to boost your GPA.

Some credential programs will only look at your last 60 units. Also, the low GPA isn't a disqualification, it's just something the school will talk to you about.

The fact that you are an accountant already shows that your low GPA doesn't matter, BTW. You have real world experience that shows that you earned your degree.

If you do it though a school district, they wouldn't care either. Like the article implied, schools need bodies to fill in the classroom. There are no more perfect candidates.

And to be frank, if I was running a school, I would likely hire you to teach math today if I had a position open.

Metaroo

Between all the bureaucratic bs from the principals and school board, the focus on testing, the shitty parents, the shitty pay, the underfunding, the overcrowding, and the lack of any sort of support system, I'm shocked!

This. This OVER and OVER again. What should be the highest paid position in any country, is probably the worst long-term, least-sustainable, most chock-full of fucking bullshit almost UNIVERSALLY.

Why in god's name would anyone want to become a teacher, aside from a calling for the field? Theres literally zero reason outside "I wanted to because (sentimental reason)".

entremet

Just put the kids in a room and show them online educational videos, then leave them locked there until they pass the quiz at the end of the session.

I know you're joking but our current education system is based on a system that was designed to produce complaint factory workers--bells, rows of desk, highly authoritarian figures, etc.

However, it's not well designed for today's competitive and agile workplace. It's why most kids are usually clueless going into college, without no roadmap or compass. And we then burden these kids with mountains of debt and no marketable skills.

Why the hell would anyone want to be a teacher today.

If you work in a blue state where the unions are strong it can actually be a pretty sweet gig after you build up some seniority.

My Dad's a teacher and his healthcare and retirement benefits are far better than anything he would find in the private sector. He's also pretty much unfireable as he's been with the district for several years.

First year elementary teacher here....it's brutal.

Breaking up multiple fights a day, cops getting called, kids doing whatever they want and parents blaming the school/teachers, and 0 support from anyone.

And this is 6th grade lol

I've already thought about leaving after the school year as I'm tired of being threatened, yelled, or cussed at on a daily basis while trying to teach.

All of it. Being a teacher is incredibly fulfilling and the kids are the reason many of them go to work every day.

It's the other things (norm9 hit most of them) that make it hard and undesirable.

It comes down to the kids, great if you have good kids. Not so great if the kids are not good.

Do you think there are more good kids or bad kids?

Elandyll

Banned
Why the hell would anyone want to be a teacher today.
Loving kids and wanting to be a part of giving them a better future...

But nowadays these few masochists are getting fewer and fewer.

Think the shortage is bad now?
Wait 10 years or so when we'll have a massive wave of retirement starting and increasing year after year, with the boomers reaching 70 (some won't wait and we'll already see the effects within 5 years I'd bet).

Yup. It all trickles down. Sadly this happens a lot with unified school districts.

Arol

Don't blame them.

Kids and parents are complete assholes. What's the point for shit pay?

Especially in California where you can try to look for other similarly paying jobs without underage douchebags giving you a hard time every single fucking day.

jabuseika

I would love to be a science teacher, but I'm not taking a considerable pay cut from what engineers make in the private sector.

MANUELF

Banned
This reminds me of the New teachers Law here in México which made the teaching positions from a stable and secure lifetime job to a job no one in his sane mind will take

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
High cost area and a low paying position that requires at least a 4 year degree. What do people expect?

That and being treated like shit by most everyone and worrying about your safety depending on where you were.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Remember when I was originally going to be a teacher, alot of my family was/is teachers. Always thought about going back for my credentials but just doesn't feel worth the effort for the money and shit teachers have to go through :/

Arol

I understand that you don't want shit people teaching kids but when you have to commit 4 years in college and 1 year to get your credential, plus the high requirements California has, coupled with shit starting pay, shit kids and parents you shouldn't be surprised it has a high turnover rate.

LaTeira Haynes teaches biology and other science classes at Dymally High School in South Los Angeles. Her smallest class has 35 students; her largest, 47. In all, she is instructing 250 students this semester. But the challenge is much greater than conveying scientific concepts en masse.
Teaching high school science to a class of 47 sounds as close to a living nightmare as anything your best horror writer has ever conceived.

I used to teach in the NJ public schools system. Good pay and good benefits, but shit treatment. Shit students, shit teachers, shit administration, shit policy. With SGOs and PARCC and other assorted nonsense on the rise, it was basically the worst time for an eager, young, idealistic lad to enter the profession.

So I bailed the fuck out after 2 years, tutor full time using the connections I made, and make six figures working 20 or 50 or 70 hours or whatever the fuck I feel a week, with hardly any prep needed (certainly not the 3+ hours a day of unpaid prep I was putting it in addition to a full teaching load), and make an entirely additional living Skyping international students in Asia.

Set my own hours, choose my own students, accountable to no one but myself instead of being beholden to an incompetent octogenarian.

Lapsed teachers in NY/NJ/CA/other lucrative areas filled to the brim with rich, anxious, bored families and spoiled, overcompetitive children: make a flyer, start from there. You'll be surprised how little your clients actually care about results when you give them the gift of an hour or two in sweet relaxation away from their little monsters.

Just learn how to be a chameleon. You'll need it to weather all the terrible patenting you'll encounter :p

sikkinixx

Teaching high school science to a class of 47 sounds as close to a living nightmare as anything your best horror writer has ever conceived.

I'm dealing with 30 in my classes now and it's brutal. I cannot fathom adding another 17 to that. It would be straight lectures with zero interaction.

Josh5890

With how my wonderful state (Illinois) is handling the pension situation I wouldn't be surprised if we have this problem soon.

watershed

Banned
Invest in education all around. Higher salaries, more spending per pupil, reduce class sizes, more support for students and staff, renovate and modernize schools, etc. Money + better teaching practices + better learning/working conditions is a formula for nearly guaranteed success but we're just not that interested in doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom