• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

SnakeXs said:
Gogo CoCo. Sticking to your guns is soso loco, but I want momo.
:lol

He was on fiyah last night... you could tell he was absolutely seething. The whole Avatar/Twilight bit was hilarious. And anyone who doesn't think this means the end of Conan on NBC is nuts. Jay still has a much bigger following (sadly) -- Conan will be tossed aside if it's between the two of them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
VistraNorrez said:
Wrong. Leno killed the lead in. He did and it's simple Logic.

I don't know why this is so hard to see. Poor ratings in his slot lead to poor ratings in Conan's. Not to mention why would anyone take Conan seriously when they could already get their talk show fix with Leno. Conan had to compete with his old boss and Letterman essentially. And with that said Conan still tied Dave in the 18-49 Demo last quarter and his show skews about 10 years younger than both Dave's and Leno's shows.

Conan is not doing great but he is not a disaster in his timeslot. Leno is a disaster in his timeslot, and it's doing a lot of damage to NBC.

Conan was on the air for months before Leno's new show took the airwaves. Conan's ratings were dropping fast well before Leno came back on the air.

Blader

VistraNorrez said:
Conan is not doing great but he is not a disaster in his timeslot. Leno is a disaster in his timeslot, and it's doing a lot of damage to NBC.

Leno's ratings at 10 was not a disaster. The problem came from the affiliates.

Plinko said:
Conan was on the air for months before Leno's new show took the airwaves. Conan's ratings were dropping fast well before Leno came back on the air.

What makes you think NBC wasn't expecting that? It was a natural occurrence, something that was bound to happen to a new guy taking over television's most treasured program.

Given time, Conan's ratings would've been higher.

gdt

Blader5489 said:
Oh please, NBC doesn't want Conan to go anywhere. If they wanted him to walk, they would have never given him the Tonight Show in the first place.

The only thing NBC wants is Leno and Conan on air together.

Nope.

NBC has to know that moving Conan to 12:05, behind a half hour Leno show, would be a huge slap in the face to Conan.

They're not that daft.

I hope this is resolved.

I do like Jay, but in my opinion he is being a bit selfish.
All he has left is "his show" and I'm sure that's his age and his pride coming into play.
But seems to me he just needs to be classy and pass the torch.

That being said Conan needs to adapt and change his style a bit. The Tonight Show
with Conan has pretty much been The Late Show with Conan. His schtick is a stale, just
like Letterman's, except unlike Letterman, Conan isn't a good interviewer.

The reason I like Jimmy Fallon and his show is because he is pretty oriented to a single
crowd. Teens, hipsters, and those tied into video game and technology. While it may not have "the funny" like Ferguson,
it has substance. Conan's kinda in the purgatory of late night. It's not bad but it's not great.

Changes needed to be made but it's unfortunate NBC would act so immaturely and foolishly.

Blader5489 said:
Oh please, NBC doesn't want Conan to go anywhere. If they wanted him to walk, they would have never given him the Tonight Show in the first place.

The only thing NBC wants is Leno and Conan on air together.
I think Conan may have lost some of his luster with NBC execs based on how slowly out of the gates his ratings have been. Not saying it's warranted as NBC execs are pretty dumb but still. At this point they would probably be happy with Leno back on Tonight and Fallon following him.

JGS

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
Fear of the unknown after getting destroyed this year.

The Tonight Show & Today Show were NBC's most profitable (owned) shows even when the network was doing good. Jay had a lot to do with that, of course, but they weren't losing money with Conan or even Johnny Carson. In other words, they will always make money off The Tonight Show regardless of who's hosting it.

Jay is the past and it's time to move on and keep your promises. It's certanly not the time for lame brain scheduling.

However, assuming Jay coming back is a lock, they need to keep him for 10 years as Fallon is not ready by a long shot. Conan was more ready than Fallon would be 10 years from now.

Conan is far from a bad interviewer. He always makes a big effort to be friendly, though, which I suppose doesn't gel with everyone. But yeah, Conan's strongest points have been improv remote bits and written sketches. And when a joke completely bombs in the monologue and he needs to find a way to save it.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
gdt5016 said:
Nope.

NBC has to know that moving Conan to 12:05, behind a half hour Leno show, would be a huge slap in the face to Conan.

They're not that daft.

NBC didn't "move Conan to 12:05," they suggested it because they wanted to keep Leno on for whatever stupid reason (ratings, whatever). It was a stupid ass compromise to begin with.

Conan is just taking up for himself and his show. Leno will walk.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Fletcher said:
Ideally. I want CBS to pick him up and develop him to take over for Letterman. Have them both on, back to back. Destroy NBC/Leno's late night.

yeah, CBS should dump Turd Furgeson(?).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
red shoe paul said:
Conan is fucking dumb, and I'm not sure why alot of people like him. I hate all late night shows actually, but he just makes no sense.
X Person is stupid, I'm not sure why people enjoy x person. Infact I hate all x style shows, but out of all of those shows that I don't even like, his makes no sense.

Your post was fucking stupid, so now I'm just going to accuse you of trolling. Troll. Good day sir.

Blader

gdt5016 said:
Nope.

They're not that daft.

Of course they're fucking daft, you just have to look at the year they've been having to know that there is a fundamental stupidity running through that network.

They know moving Conan back a half hour is an embarrassment, but it's not a ploy to force out Conan, it's a last-ditch compromise to keep both Leno and Conan. They want Conan and they want his demographic.

Meier

Blader5489 said:
Leno's ratings at 10 was not a disaster. The problem came from the affiliates.
His ratings were below their typical 10:00 shows from last year but the cheaper cost of production offset this for NBC themselves. It was having a negative affect on local affiliates though and ad rates were plumeting.

otake said:
I actually really like his show.. I used to basically have no opinion or at least dislike it since it was opposite Conan, but he's pretty damn funny.

Thomper

otake said:
No way. Craig Ferguson's a pretty funny guy. Plus, he has, by far, the most interesting interviews of all the late night shows. I'm not saying Conan isn't great, but Ferguson does the stuff he does very well, and I'd prefer seeing him continue his show.

JGS

Banned
joshcryer said:
NBC didn't "move Conan to 12:05," they suggested it because they wanted to keep Leno on for whatever stupid reason (ratings, whatever). It was a stupid ass compromise to begin with.

Conan is just taking up for himself and his show. Leno will walk.

We're reading different news reports.

Personifried said:
Conan is far from a bad interviewer. He always makes a big effort to be friendly, though, which I suppose doesn't gel with everyone. But yeah, Conan's strongest points have been improv remote bits and written sketches. And when a joke completely bombs in the monologue and he needs to find a way to save it.

Leno is the worst interviewer because of the rehearsed feel. He knows every answer way in advance to me (or the guest knows the question way in advance)

I think Letterman is the best. He has gotten better with age as he talks about his life with the guests. It's natural.

Conan is in the middle for me.

I will give Leno the monologues. He's good at stand-up and it shows. His skits stink or are knock-offs of Letterman's.

My preference is Letterman, second choice Conan (Sometimes he's too odd for my tastes), & finally Leno.

StoOgE said:
Because they need the lead in of Fox's shows to get their ratings up.

A local affiliate that only shows it's own programming and/or sindicated programming will fail or fall into a niche market.

Where Fox has it's strengths is

1) It has no daytime programming so the affiliates can buy up syndicated talk shows for cheap that do well and keep all the daytime profits to themselves.

2) Fox programming goes off at 10:00. This means the local affiliates get a strong Fox lead in for 2 hours of programming and then can run either syndicated show at 9:00, local news, or some sort of rerun. In all of these cases the affiliate gets to sell the ad-space.

The ratings will be lower on a Fox channel at 10:00 than a CBS or NBC affiliate, but because the ad-space belongs to the affiliate alone they typically make more money.

This is why you saw a bunch of affiliates of non-Fox networks jump ship to Fox in the early to mid-90s. More profit for the affiliate.

Fox might be able to put together a package for the local affiliates that makes a 11:30 late night show a good deal for them. However, without also programming the 10:00 time slot, the lead in for Conan will be terrible. So, if Fox signs Conan do they also try and move into the 10:00 time slot?

Edited for EST

Ah ok. After your initial post and my response I did some reading on tvbythenumbers and they basically said the same thing. Also mentioned that Fox affiliates are pretty lukewarm to the idea.

Fletcher

Thomper said:
No way. Craig Ferguson's a pretty funny guy. Plus, he has, by far, the most interesting interviews of all the late night shows. I'm not saying Conan isn't great, but Ferguson does the stuff he does very well, and I'd prefer seeing him continue his show.

I have nothing wrong with Ferguson, either, but Letterman is getting old and I don't think Ferguson has the same appeal to host the Late Show. Push him back an hour and give conan a slot after Letterman. Back in NYC. That would be so damn good. All late night on one channel. :)

joshcryer

Posted in the other thread.

Conan Refusing to Delay Tonight Show: http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/conan-obrien-resigning-tonight-show/

When I first read the statement from Conan O’Brien issued out of his Universal City offices at midday, I thought that the late night host was resigning from The Tonight Show. Because it certainly sounded like a "Goodbye, and don't let the door hit you on the ass" hate letter to NBC. But a second read showed it to be Conan's declaration of war on the network! Now NBC is in a no-win situation: it's pissed off Jay. It's pissed off Conan. And the host whom NBC Universal chairman Jeff Zucker thought would lead NBC's invincible late night franchise into the future has now just publicly embarrassed all the suits by proclaiming, in essence, HELL NO, I WON'T GO!

joshcryer

JGS said:
We're reading different news reports.

Nah, you think that just because NBC panned the idea that somehow magically it was set in stone, this despite that the executives said repeatedly that nothing was set in stone. It took a few days but now we know where Conan stands. It will be a few days more yet until we know where Leno stands or what he's going to do. I would hope that he'd announce that he won't be doing a 11:35 show soon (today/tomorrow), but he'll probably hold off until he can say it on The Jay Leno Show in a couple of days.

Plinko said:

That's somewhat natural. Leno started out very rough too, when he took over. And Conan was much more competitive with Letterman before Leno started too. You should also consider Leno's audience new he was coming back, as well. Why would they watch Conan when they could just wait for Leno.

The fact remains NBC from 10PM on got worse once Leno's show started. Leno's ratings tanked severely after his first show too, a much much bigger drop than Conan's. Anyway you cut it The Jay Leno Show has been a far bigger failure than The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien (which wasn't really a failure at all). And yet Leno is the priority here. The guy who has had 6 years notice to come to terms with his (admittedly forced) retirement, who will probably retire in another 3-5 years anyway, and force NBC to scramble once again by either making Fallon the new host or finding someone new. They'll lose the established Conan who probably would've taken over late night TV once Letterman retires in a few years, or possibly sooner considering the key 18-49 demographic is at a dead heat.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Fletcher said:
I have nothing wrong with Ferguson, either, but Letterman is getting old and I don't think Ferguson has the same appeal to host the Late Show. Push him back an hour and give conan a slot after Letterman. Back in NYC. That would be so damn good. All late night on one channel. :)

Ferguson isn't that bad. He's certainly no Letterman or Leno. The best outcome would be HBO for Conan. Look what it's done to Mahr.

Jin

The idea of moving The Tonight Show to 12:05 am is a dumb idea. You can't call it the Tonight Show at that time slot. NBC is bending over backwards for one guy. It's like they're working to get bad ratings and rep.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
X26 said:
conan is a hilarious class act, jay leno is an unfunny piece of shit

How dare you? Talking about the Mr Jay Leno in such a way. Mr Leno is a friend to all humanity and completely selfless. Its unfortunate that Letterman and Conan get fucked out of The Tonight Show but good will always triumph over wickedness.

Blader

Number 2 said:
How dare you? Talking about the Mr Jay Leno in such a way. Mr Leno is a friend to all humanity and completely selfless. Its unfortunate that Letterman and Conan get fucked out of The Tonight Show but good will always triumph over wickedness.

Conan got fucked out of The Tonight Show? Has The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien ceased to exist? Because I could swear I just saw it on my DVR.

Blader5489 said:
Conan got fucked out of The Tonight Show? Has The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien ceased to exist? Because I could swear I just saw it on my DVR.

That's a ridiculous argument to make and you know it.

jmdajr

Blader5489 said:

It's a matter of principle

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
xbhaskarx said:
Leno doesn't worry about such things.

You gotta love CoCo. The man has integrity.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Blader5489 said:
Conan fucked himself really. He had more than enough network support and time, a highly viewed lead in, and the help from the previous host of The Tonight Show (i heard Jay wrote jokes for Conan like Carson did for Letterman). Despite all of this, Conan squandered this "perfect storm" and is acting like a child forcing Jay to come back to the Tonight Show.

joshcryer

Number 2 said:
Conan fucked himself really. He had more than enough network support and time, a highly viewed lead in, and the help from the previous host of The Tonight Show (i heard Jay wrote jokes for Conan like Carson did for Letterman). Despite all of this, Conan squandered this "perfect storm" and is acting like a child forcing Jay to come back to the Tonight Show.

:lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Number 2 said:

I'm thinking this is...a joke

Though, Leno White Knights do apparently...exist.

Blader

BrandNew said:
That's a ridiculous argument to make and you know it.

Funny, coming from the guy who said Leno is a cancer to the medium.

shagg_187 said:
Ugh. Sucks like hell. When's the last show with Conan as host? Today? Yesterday? Tomorrow?

HE ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE. He didn't even say he was quitting in the damn letter!

I know you guys like to think of Jay Leno as the devil, but his career will be irreparably fucked if he goes back to the Tonight Show and forces Conan out. His nice guy image will be shot to hell. There's no way that's going to happen.

Number 2 said:

I didn't know Jay had a Gaf account..

ps. Jay we all hate you

Number 2 said:

What lead in? One that cannibalized his guest list and routinely placed a dismal third in the ratings? Even the programs not named "The Jay Leno Show" have been tanking. Conan got fucked.

Aesius

Number 2 said:

Well, Jay writing jokes for Conan would explain the low ratings.

Blader5489 said:
Funny, coming from the guy who said Leno is a cancer to the medium.

*rolls eyes*

Just look at the history, man. Two transitions for the Tonight Show. Both including the same second party, with the rest being different players. How can you tell me with a straight face that Leno is NOT a large part of this gigantic clusterfuck?

edit: number 2 was joking y'all

joshcryer

Blader5489 said:
I know you guys like to think of Jay Leno as the devil, but his career will be irreparably fucked if he goes back to the Tonight Show and forces Conan out. His nice guy image will be shot to hell. There's no way that's going to happen.

Man, I am starting to think that internet ADD has seriously affected the comprehension levels of human beings. I am seeing this all over the net, people read only the headline (hardly glance at the meat of an article) and then form their conclusions. It's crazy.

Conan stands up for himself and his show, Leno walks. That is the only way this plays out.

Read the second to last paragraph of his letter. He wants to keep the show, he wants to keep the timeslot.

Sanjuro

BrandNew said:
*rolls eyes*

Just look at the history, man. Two transitions for the Tonight Show. Both including the same second party, with the rest being different players. How can you tell me with a straight face that Leno is NOT a large part of this gigantic clusterfuck?
He isn't. God is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom